Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #241
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I think the comparison to the Kawasaki is a bit of a reach. Liquid cooling is good, and the radiator on the Vulcan is well hidden. The Kawasaki also has a much larger gas tank. They mentioned a larger tank as an advantage when it was Bolt vs Shadow, but don't mention it at all when it's Bolt vs Vulcan. Yeah there is a significant difference in price, but what does the Bolt's price look like once passenger accomodations are added? The Vulcan already has them. Also they mentioned the Bolt has a bigger motor, but they didn't say it offers more performance.

I think they would have been better off to just forget to compare the Bolt to the Vulcan.
Here's what I found on the Vulcan:

50.6 hp @ 5900rpm
51.7 lb ft @ 3600rpm

And this quote
Quote:
Riders rated it second to the Sportster in on-road performance and personality, only because the Harley’s motor felt a hair snappier with a more responsive mid-range
If we're to assume that the Bolt is lighter/more powerful from the bottom than the 883, then I don't think it has much to worry about from a Vulcan 900.

And the Yamaha Passenger Seat Kit with pegs runs $199.99. So you still end up with 70lbs less weight and a grand in your pocket with the Bolt.

HondaFanatic screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 10:43 AM
HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #242
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,211
I think if this bike is popular Yamaha will look to one up itself in a few years. I expect a larger motor and a few other things.

A trade up might be easier and less expensive, unless you like to tinker.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #243
TINGLER
Swamp lips

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
In my view, I think I'd probably want around 75 hp or so in a bike like this.
Not so much to make it squirrely in bad weather, but enough beans to carry bags and a passenger without having the acceleration of a Geo Metro. .
No way, a person can never go fast enough.....

Quote:
So, it's doable, but it's not cut and paste. It's old school hot rodding where you go your own way and figure things out on your own. I've been doing that for years with cars and bikes, so it's not a big deal for me. Well, it's a big deal. But I geek out on it.
I have an interest in that as well. Only a lack of funds holds me back (and thankfully I normally don't have the funds or who knows what I'd do to my vehicles) There's nothing wrong with modifying stuff and I hope to see a Bolt "chopped" or "bobbed" or hot rodded in the near future.
TINGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #244
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,617
I don't see how the Bolt compares at all to the Shadow or Vulcan. The Shadow has tube type tires, which takes it off the list for me. I'm to big for the Bolt, and have to have tubeless tires, so the Yamaha V-Star 950 or Vulcan 900 Custom would be at the top of my list. I really like the V-Star 950 tourer. Already set up the way I want it with accessories that fit.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #245
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Well, that's certainly encouraging. But I'll admit that I can't leave anything alone.

I have my laptop overclocked and ptfe lube on my old Olympia typewriter.

I have a problem.

That's just part of the fun.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #246
kpmsprtd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I am a hardcore standard motorcycle rider. I do standards, including adventure bikes, which I consider as standards with luxuries.

And yet, this damn Bolt has somehow incepted its way into my brain. I thought HondaFanatic had gone insane when he changed his purchase plan from the Honda CB1100 to the Bolt. Now I'm beginning to understand. Lifelong standard man I may be, but I actually spent some time this evening thinking about owning and riding a Bolt.

Is it the advertising maybe? Is it the fact that I've worn flannel shirts since 1976? Maybe the fact that I shave only every other day at best? Or is it the bike?

Do you appreciate my dilemma? I want to loathe not only the Bolt, but even the style of bike that the Bolt represents. And yet I like it! What in the world has Yamaha done?

Disclaimer: It's possible that this whole idea of the Bolt as a minimalist motorcycle is what's getting me. I've always had a weakness for that.
kpmsprtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:10 AM   #247
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Hey, that describes me.

I'm a standard bike rider and minimalist. Never been one for farkles and glitz.

I also had completely written off the Star line after I changed the rear tire on an 1100 for a guy.

So, they had a long way to go, actually, to convince me to like this bike.

But sitting is believing. It's like everything practical in an aesthetically pleasing package. No paint shaker engine. No clunky transmission. No lousy bottom shelf brakes. Just enough rake and trail for town use and highway.

I feel ya.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #248
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
No clunky transmission.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but the 950 trans ain't smooth...it's not Harley clunk clank bang, but it's pretty clunky.

I'm completely ruined after that butter smooth TE610 trans, and a week on that damn Stelvio didn't help either, ultimate snick snick shifts.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #249
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmsprtd View Post
Do you appreciate my dilemma? I want to loathe not only the Bolt, but even the style of bike that the Bolt represents. And yet I like it! What in the world has Yamaha done?

Disclaimer: It's possible that this whole idea of the Bolt as a minimalist motorcycle is what's getting me. I've always had a weakness for that.
Yeah I'm the same way. I never owned a cruiser and never thought I would. I have a 919 right now. It's powerful and handles well, but there's something about a twin that's special.

Maybe it's unfair to call this bike a cruiser. It's more like a feet forward standard. Simple is good. And being a one seater it gives me a good reason to leave the old lady at home.

The only question in my mind now is. Do I get the first year bike, bugs and all or do I wait a year for them to fix anything like that.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #250
TierHawg
Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post

The only question in my mind now is. Do I get the first year bike, bugs and all or do I wait a year for them to fix anything like that.
Maybe Yamaha will sneak a bigger motor and ABS into the bike next year?
TierHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #251
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post

I've ridden this engine/trans/electrics since 2009 and there aren't any bugs. There was one recall for a fuel line connector and the starter croaked, everybody uses glued magnets now...I don't hold that one against Yamaha.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #252
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I don't want to burst your bubble, but the 950 trans ain't smooth...it's not Harley clunk clank bang, but it's pretty clunky.

I'm completely ruined after that butter smooth TE610 trans, and a week on that damn Stelvio didn't help either, ultimate snick snick shifts.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it's smooth. It's not a clunky cruiser transmission on par with some of the cheaper/lower line bikes out there that get false neutrals and shift like a Massey Ferguson.

On the continuum of tractor================silky , I reckon the quality is better than some of the industrial feeling stuff I've ridden.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #253
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
get false neutrals and shift like a Massey Ferguson.

Yeah, you never find a false neutral or feel like you need to double clutch like an old tractor trans and it's miles smoother than a Big Twin trans...not as good as a Sporty/Buell.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #254
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,226
Quote:
Yeah, you never find a false neutral or feel like you need to double clutch like an old tractor trans and it's miles smoother than a Big Twin trans...not as good as a Sporty/Buell.
Yeah, I don't know what it is with Yamaha and their shifting. I've owned quite a few and ridden many over the years and I can't remember any being smooth shifting, and that includes my FZ1. Everything else about the bike is superb as far as I'm concerned.

The Bolt's a neat bike. I hope they sell a bunch.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #255
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:

I'm thinking Yamaha has done some work on this transmission (the 3rd quote even states that). All the 1st Ride reviews had nothing but great things to say about it

CycleWorld.com
Quote:
The Bolt’s five-speed transmission employs straight-cut gear dogs for snappy engagement and a super light clutch to make the most of squirreling around.
Motorcycle-USA.com
Quote:
When it comes time to shift up, the five-speed transmission does so smoothly, the straight-cut gear dogs easing into place. It does this with quiet efficiency. Combine the smooth shifting transmission with the light action required at the clutch lever and you’ve got a rider-friendly motorcycle that’s easy to modulate and doesn’t miss shifts.
Motorcycle.com
Quote:
The five-speed transmission is ideally proportioned, providing long, even throws throughout the range. There was no jarring feedback when downshifting, adding to the Bolt’s affable nature in city traffic; Star credits the tranny’s straight-cut gear dogs, and we’ll take their word for it. At cruising speeds, fifth gear provided plenty of room for the engine to stretch out and still reserved a healthy amount of throttle response; passing dawdling drivers required no gear changes. Clutch actuation is light and breezy, and even after a long day of full-tilt urban assault, my left hand felt zero fatigue.
Forbes.com
Quote:
I had no problems with the Bolt’s buttery smooth clutch, or with its five-speed transmission. Engineers explained that the transmission dogs were straight cut, as opposed to the slight angle cut that is more traditional on Yamaha gears.
Motorcyclecruiser.com
Quote:
Stirring the cogs was a breeze too, with the straight-cut gear dogs engaging readily, and we were snicking away like we didn't have a care in the world.

Plenty of "smooth", "smoothly", and "snicking away" being thrown around

HondaFanatic screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 11:05 PM
HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote