http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmAnj87UxtA
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #497
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
. Critisizing the Bolt for it's handling and braking is like critisizing an R1 beacuse it's not a good dirt bike.
What's the problem with R1 in the dirt?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #498
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
4th word out of his mouth is Bobber.

and then he goes on to talk about the Sportster as being the iconic Bobber.

It would appear that cluelessness is alive and well in Yamaha USA's marketing teams.

Exactly...until this thread I never heard anyone call a Sportster a Bobber unless it was actually bobed Sporty from the 50s or 60s but modern day Sportys are not bobbers.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #499
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,266
Well, be real sure to get a good test ride in.
My 1200 was the worst bike I ever had.
They need fork work, shock work, a seat and new handlebars to start, and no matter what you do, the bike is always going to be small and heavy.
I would like the pre rubber mounts better.
I had a new 1986 sportster and it was a lot better to ride then the new one.
It will be cheaper also.
If I had to have a sportster, I would get the last year of the solid frame bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I've been looking to add a bolt or sporty to the stable. I think a used rubber mount(xl1200 for 4-5K here) makes more sense for me. A lot has to do with cost. I'd still want to do suspension work but I'd want to do that with a bolt too. To each their own. Still want to catch a ride on a bolt though but I don't see it performing better to the point that it would steer me away from the cheaper, used sporty route. Could be wrong though. No, I don't own a klr but I did own a dr650.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #500
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
4th word out of his mouth is Bobber.

and then he goes on to talk about the Sportster as being the iconic Bobber.

It would appear that cluelessness is alive and well in Yamaha USA's marketing teams.

131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #501
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,629
Talk about some shameless advertising. That guy has an attitude problem. And he seriously needs a haircut. He probably doesn't even ride at all, but if he does, he probably doesn't wear a helmet. Seems like they are trying to sell the Bolt on image only. Anything beats a Honda Shadow 750, but no way is the Bolt better than the Vulcan 900 Custom or the Harley 883. I can see calling both the Bolt or 883 a bobber, but rear seats and backrests can be added to both. And what good is a bobber anyway? Practically worthless.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #502
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Get with the program.
Its about style, not comfort, or handling.
The Sportster people know this, no need for seat padding, or suspension, or lean angle, or ergonomics. You might burn your leg up, but look very cool doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
You guys are mixing things up I think.
I never said the bolt was cheap, or would burn your leg.
epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #503
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
4th word out of his mouth is Bobber and then he goes on to talk about the Sportster as being the iconic Bobber. It would appear that cluelessness is alive and well in Yamaha USA's marketing teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Exactly...until this thread I never heard anyone call a Sportster a Bobber unless it was actually bobed Sporty from the 50s or 60s but modern day Sportys are not bobbers.
Harley-Davidson has been harking back to the Sportster's heritage as a bobber since 2000. The Sportster Low, Iron, 48, and so on are factory bobber replicas. I can see not liking the trend. I can't see calling Yamaha's marketing clueless while stating your own ignorance about a decade-old trend. Maybe you guys are on dial-up or something.

Yamaha decided to cash in on the trend when they saw HD's success and that lots of their old bikes are getting similar treatment, and there was a big opening in HD's retro-Sportsters due to the fact that they look cool but don't ride particularly well - areas the Bolt addresses.

I see where you guys are coming from - seriously. I don't like that Porsche re-used the Speedster name and mimicked the look but none of the philosophy (less content/weight, lower price). I don't like the trend towards 500-lb, 200bhp "cafe racers" built by hobbyists and bike brands unclear on the concept. But it's always happened (Honda's GB500 was 20 years ago) and always will and pretending otherwise just makes you look like a - hold on a second, there's some kids on my lawn, I'll be right back.
epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #504
Shao
noooob

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Talk about some shameless advertising. That guy has an attitude problem. And he seriously needs a haircut. He probably doesn't even ride at all, but if he does, he probably doesn't wear a helmet. Seems like they are trying to sell the Bolt on image only. Anything beats a Honda Shadow 750, but no way is the Bolt better than the Vulcan 900 Custom or the Harley 883. I can see calling both the Bolt or 883 a bobber, but rear seats and backrests can be added to both. And what good is a bobber anyway? Practically worthless.

Dude in the vedios did not say Bolt better than Vulcan 900 or 883 Iron. He said Bolt is lighter than Vulcan and is air cooled for those who want something simpler. Also said its enginee and suspension are better than Iron. Those are valid points and were measured and verified. Weather those make Bolt a better bike overall is subjective, depends on each viewer's piorities.
Shao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #505
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 404
I agree with points in Shao's post ... buddy in the Yamahog vids is as annoying as hell though and deserves a kick in the 'nads! ;) LOL!!
Old 05-09-2013, 06:25 AM   #506
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,266
How is the bolt not better then an 883?
It makes more power, its a lot lighter, can lean a lot more, its got some suspension????

Have you ridden a new sportster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #507
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
And yet you can't bring yourself to apply this same logic to a Sportster.

Two Thumbs up for the MrBeesknees waffle logic

I had a New Bolt owner ask if he could trade his in. I told him to go ride it first and get to know it before he tries to trade it off. Good looking bike. A little too plasticy IMO but I see the appeal. He hasn't been back so hopefully he came to like it.
You need to take an honest look at the Sportster. Maybe if you weren't on the sales team....

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #508
DirtHopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
I did durability testing for HD a few tears ago. I can tell you that I thing HD makes a good product. I was even considering buying one this year. But I'm an Import guy and dont like the maintenance requirements on the HD. I will say that if you are going to own a Harley, you may as well get a sportster. not many HD tech know how to work on them because they seldom break

oh, went for a ride on my new bolt this morning and still love it
Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #509
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtHopper View Post
I dont like the maintenance requirements on the HD.
Glad your liking the Bolt, it it cool looking but just wondering what maintenance requirments you specifically didn't you like about HDs?

Valve checks?
Replacing chains/sprokets?
Final Drive maintnence?
Throttle body sync?

Aside from oil/fluid changes (5K mile oil, 10K primary and 20K tranny) there really isn't much to do on a HD. Spark plugs are changed in seconds and air filter in minutes. Most get 10K+ miles out of tires.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #510
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Glad your liking the Bolt, it it cool looking but just wondering what maintenance requirments you specifically didn't you like about HDs?

Valve checks?
Replacing chains/sprokets?
Final Drive maintnence?
Throttle body sync?

Aside from oil/fluid changes (5K mile oil, 10K primary and 20K tranny) there really isn't much to do on a HD. Spark plugs are changed in seconds and air filter in minutes. Most get 10K+ miles out of tires.
lol Harley dosent need any of that except drive maintence and only once until it needs to be replaced