Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #526
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I might need a little. I think it'll be perfect around 75 rwhp.
But I like to tinker.

For example, I just took a teriyaki marinaded pork loin and seared it off in a cast iron pan with bacon drippings and then put it on the grill.

I can't leave anything alone and don't like doing things the easy way.

I like to think I'm an example, but I'm probably a warning.

Merely a mention of the Bolt bike thread and you're sucked right back in.

I'm making Beef/Chicken chili with green peppers, pasilla peppers, tomatoes, LOTs of garlic and LOTs of chili powder.

num num

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #527
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
I'm making Beef/Chicken chili with green peppers, pasilla peppers, tomatoes, LOTs of garlic and LOTs of chili powder.

num num
my lower intestine hates you - just sayin'

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #528
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
I would ditch the cv carb and fit something else, and jet it right, that's all for the motor.

I do pork loin in soy sauce, red wine, garlic, mustard, ginger and thyme.
Soak it for a while, put it on the spit, baste with mix.

Quote:
I might need a little. I think it'll be perfect around 75 rwhp.
But I like to tinker.

For example, I just took a teriyaki marinaded pork loin and seared it off in a cast iron pan with bacon drippings and then put it on the grill.

I can't leave anything alone and don't like doing things the easy way.

I like to think I'm an example, but I'm probably a warning.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #529
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I would ditch the cv carb and fit something else, and jet it right, that's all for the motor...
What are you talking about? The Bolt is EFI.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #530
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
Merely a mention of the Bolt bike thread and you're sucked right back in.

num num
Yeah, and thanks to you I ate a bag of chiccarones while I was grilling. You bastard!
Old 05-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #531
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,720
Quote:
Yeah, and thanks to you I ate a bag of chiccarones while I was grilling. You bastard!

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #532
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,780
Quote:
I would ditch the cv carb and fit something else, and jet it right, that's all for the motor.

I do pork loin in soy sauce, red wine, garlic, mustard, ginger and thyme.
Soak it for a while, put it on the spit, baste with mix.
Yamaha's EFI is pretty good stuff.
Once you get a pipe to replace the converter, you'll lose the imperative to keep the engine lean and running at a higher temp. The reprogrammers will probably have an array of choices and the boost in power will be enough to feel in the seat o the pants.

It's reasonable to stop there. It's got a good hp:weight ratio and shouldn't need much else unless you just want to get more out of it. And then it should respond to the usual moves like porting, valve work, and even an overbore or flat top pistons with flycuts.

We'll see what happens.

I'll give your recipe a try.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #533
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post
You wont see 124 rwhp for 3K I guarantee it let alone the rest of the parts you listed. It takes a small fortune to see 100 rwhp. Lets keep this realistic shall we.

$1100 for heads, 1250 kit is about $1100...maybe a few bones more depending on who you buy from...we've got some wiggle room on a 3k budget, Supertrapp XR race exhaust..$600, some jetting work and there it is...124 rwhp. That's the one thing that could push me towards a Harley...the aftermarket is there and it's fairly cheap to get big power.

Buddy just scored a 2003 883 for $1400, we've done the numbers and it's doable.

I'd really like to see Yamaha keep a model around long enough to get the aftermarket on board with engine mods and lots more power. I had to just splice in a fuel tuner on my 950 since there wasn't one at the time, sure you could buy pipes, but you couldn't add fuel to make it run right.

I really hope the Bolt takes off.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #534
NJ-Brett
Brett

Old sportsters.

The thing about sportsters (old and/or new) is that you can turn them into almost anything, and get all the parts at the dealers most likely.
Hard tail chopper, cafe racer, mellow dual sport, cross country slab bike, forward controls, mids, or rear set, small gas tank, huge gas tank, belt drive, chain drive,
normal wheels, spokes, cast, solid, narrow or fat, big or little.
I bet they make 500 different exhaust systems for sportsters.

The new ones are sort of locked in to the very heavy low seat thing, but older ones were not.

The bolt is a much better bike stock then the new sportsters, but you can do anything with the old sportsters, even make them sporty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4 View Post
What are you talking about? The Bolt is EFI.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #535
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,342
Demo Ride

The Yamaha demo truck was at a dealer about 3 miles from my house today, so I wandered over to sample the new Bolt. To let you know what my opinions are based on, I'll tell you I've been riding on the street with a license for 52 years (yeah, I'm an old fart). I've owned 7 Harleys, 5 Yamahas, 4 Hondas, 3 Moto Guzzis, 3 Triumphs, a Suzuki, and a BMW. At least those are the ones I remember, but there may have been more. So while I do like Harleys and currently own two, you can see I'm not really loyal to any one make.

Yamaha is obviously pitting this bike against the Harley 883 Iron since they even had one available there to ride if you wanted to compare the two bikes for yourself. So I'll give you my take on the comparison. You're also going to get some comparisons of the Bolt to my XL1200R Roadster in here, which may not be totally fair, but it's what I ride most of the time. Please remember this is all only MY opinion. Feel free to disagree all you want.

My impressions of the Bolt.

Overall it's a nice looking bike. I don't care for the heat shields or muffler, but otherwise, okay. I like the looks and finish of the Sportsters better, but the Bolt isn't bad.

The fit wasn't great for me. I'm 6'0" and about 210. The bike felt a bit cramped, about like an Iron. My Roadster, on the other hand, is just a tad roomier, and fits perfect. My real complaint about the Bolt's fit has to do with the engine package. It is noticeably wider than the Sportster. I tend to hug the tank with my knees, and on a Sportster my right leg lays lightly on the AC cover. The Bolt's cover actually digs into my leg a bit. My left leg touches nothing but the tank on a Sportster. The Bolt's rear cylinder and skinny wire guard push into my left leg fairly hard. I never felt any heat off that cylinder though, and I could probably get used to the width given enough saddle time on it.

We rode about 12 or 13 miles with speed limits generally around 45mph, but did actually get a couple of miles on the highway. I actually like the engine quite a bit. The Bolt is 942cc and it's performance falls about where you would expect it to in comparison to the Sportys. It's better than the 883, but not as good as my 1200. The pleasant surprise for me was that it actually has enough v-twin vibe to let you know that you're riding a motorcycle. It was fun.

The transmission is good. Shifts are short and positive. Not quite as slick as my Roadster, but better than many other bikes I've been on. No complaints here at all.

The ride is definitely better than the Iron. Harley's Iron and Nightster transmit every little imperfection in the road surface directly to my butt. The Bolt is certainly not plush, but a lot smoother than the Iron.

Handling is about a wash. I scraped a peg on the Bolt just making a right turn from a stop light, same as I would on the Iron. The Bolt didn't feel any lighter or more nimble, and not equal to the Roadster.

Overall, if I had to buy a new bike and my only choices were the H-D 883 Iron or the Bolt, I would probably buy the Bolt just because the engine performs a little better and the ride is smoother. But since those are not the only choices available and I'm not into the low look anyway, what I would actually do is search out another XL1200R if I didn't already have one. No, you can't buy one new anymore, but good low mileage used ones are available at less than $5k.

It has been stated in this thread that the Bolt is a better motorcycle than a Sporty in every way. I didn't find that to be true. For me, the Bolt kind of fits into the middle of the range of various Sportster models. Better than some, but not as good as others. Again, all my opinion, and YMMV.

Edit: I forgot to mention the gauge. It's terrible. Very hard to read in the sunlight.

davevv screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 09:26 PM
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #536
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 458
Appreciate that honest Review ... enjoyed it very much, I must say ... have always had a soft-spot 4 the Sporster, but seem to be falling 4 the Bolt!
Old 05-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #537
NJ-Brett
Brett

I think we were saying the bolt is better then any sportster they are selling today, not old roadsters, etc.
I think its lighter and has more lean angle then any of the new ones anyway...
Old 05-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #538
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
I think we were saying the bolt is better then any sportster they are selling today, not old roadsters, etc.
I think its lighter and has more lean angle then any of the new ones anyway...
And I still disagree even with that limitation. The Bolt didn't feel any lighter or handle any better than an Iron. If it has any more lean angle, it sure isn't much because it still drags parts way too early. It does run better and ride smoother than an Iron.

As for my "old" Roadster, it's true that it isn't current production. But it is one of the rubber mount Sportsters that you love to bash so much, and IMO, it is a better bike than the Bolt.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #539
NJ-Brett
Brett

Well, you should know, having ridden both of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
And I still disagree even with that limitation. The Bolt didn't feel any lighter or handle any better than an Iron. If it has any more lean angle, it sure isn't much because it still drags parts way too early. It does run better and ride smoother than an Iron.

As for my "old" Roadster, it's true that it isn't current production. But it is one of the rubber mount Sportsters that you love to bash so much, and IMO, it is a better bike than the Bolt.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #540
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
It seems that at $8590, the Bolt's biggest competition may be Yamaha's own V-Star 950. It looks to be about twice the bike, for only a small fraction more. The Bolt looks like you took a V-Star, and chopped about half of it off. Almost as much difference as between a Sportster and a Big Twin.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote