Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #586
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 790
I think the Bolt looks awesome in white.

I'm biased though. My current ride is pearl white.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #587
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingballhead View Post
Ok, here we go. At the risk of offending all Boltistas (of which I was one), I finally made it down to the city and saw a black, base model in person. (Let me preface this by saying that I loved the pics and videos of this bike, and thought for sure an r-spec would be my next ride). The right side of this bike IS HIDEOUS! I walked in, and they had it sitting there up against a posterboard Bolt display with the exhaust side facing out, and the first thing that came to my head was "WHAT THE FUCK!?" This is all subjective, and I don't mean to piss off those who still love this thing and those who have bought it, but I was completely turned off. All of the shit tacked onto the right side of the bike makes it look like some kind of weird, cheap, fuck, I don't know . . . cheap weirdo?

The strap across the battery box is ugly, the heat shields are ugly, the air cleaner is huge and ugly, and the muffler is ugly. If the bolt had a dog, the dog would be ugly. The mechanicals may be better than the Iron 883, but the Iron is infinitely classier/more beautiful. There really isn't a bad line on the bike (as evidenced by the pic a few posts up).

It doesn't stop with the looks though. Sitting on this thing while on its stand with both feet up on the pegs was one of the more awkward sitting-on-a-motorcycle-at-a-dealership experiences for me. I don't know how to explain it, it was just odd. The thing is too wide, the airbox too big, and the pegs are in a funny spot (I'm 5'6" with short legs, and have ridden an '08 Ninja 250 for the last five years, which I fit great on).

Sitting directly across from the bolt was one of these:

Honda Shadow Phantom. Looked five times better, sat five times better, hell, even tipping it felt five times lighter.

I don't know maaaaan, I really liked the Bolt. I'm disappointed as all hell. I post very rarely, so, it just goes to show how strongly I felt about seeing it today that I would get off my lazy ass and write this diatribe.
The Shadow Phantom is not at all a bad looking bike, though I like the Aero better. I would buy one based on looks, but the tube type tires make it unusable for me. The Bolt, no matter what it looks like is just too small for me. Unfortunately, so is the 883 Iron. I fit on it, but certainly not comfortably.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #588
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
So I was looking at Suzuki Boulevards, Honda Shadow Phantom, and the bolt. Finally I asked if they had a black on in stock. Dealer stated, just the demo one you are sitting on, take it out for a while.

5 minutes on it and I was sold, signing the papers tomorrow (on a new one, not the demo).

For those of you on the fence, in my demo I made some notes:

"Speedometer not back lit enough" - yea, it could be better, but even in daylight I could see it just fine. Nice that the buttons to switch between odometer, trip meters, etc, is on the handgrip.

"Heat on your legs" - i was on it for 30 minutes, it never bothered me once. At a stoplight, there was warmth from the engine, but no more than any other bike.

positioning was really nice, comfort was great (5'10 200 pounds), excellent pull and acceleration, plenty of power there. I was sold right away. Should be around $8700 out the door.

Previous post on the phantom was interesting - I hated the way you sit on that one, way too low - just goes to show ya, everyone is different and you should buy the bike that speaks to you
mikejjmay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #589
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjmay View Post
...just goes to show ya, everyone is different and you should buy the bike that speaks to you

So true. enjoy the new Bolt!
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #590
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix View Post
I think the Bolt looks awesome in white.

I'm biased though. My current ride is pearl white.
So do I. I think the contrast between the white and all the black looks awesome.

Quote:
So I was looking at Suzuki Boulevards, Honda Shadow Phantom, and the bolt. Finally I asked if they had a black on in stock. Dealer stated, just the demo one you are sitting on, take it out for a while.

5 minutes on it and I was sold, signing the papers tomorrow (on a new one, not the demo).

For those of you on the fence, in my demo I made some notes:

"Speedometer not back lit enough" - yea, it could be better, but even in daylight I could see it just fine. Nice that the buttons to switch between odometer, trip meters, etc, is on the handgrip.

"Heat on your legs" - i was on it for 30 minutes, it never bothered me once. At a stoplight, there was warmth from the engine, but no more than any other bike.

positioning was really nice, comfort was great (5'10 200 pounds), excellent pull and acceleration, plenty of power there. I was sold right away. Should be around $8700 out the door.

Previous post on the phantom was interesting - I hated the way you sit on that one, way too low - just goes to show ya, everyone is different and you should buy the bike that speaks to you
Congrats, bro Damn, those R-Specs can't get here quick enough!
HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #591
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
"Heat on your legs" - i was on it for 30 minutes, it never bothered me once. At a stoplight, there was warmth from the engine, but no more than any other bike
C'mon! You're in Minnesota! It snowed there last week! Your leg was prolly frostbit to start with!

Seriously, congratulations on finding a "good fit"!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #592
PonyExpres
ScratchinMyAss

Oddometer: 118
What it is...

For those who are panning this bike I wanted to make a few comments. One of the coolest pictures I have seen was posted on the Virago Tec forum.

It was a 6.2" Aussie guy who had bobbed his V-Star 250. He posted a picture of a photo Speeding Ticket he got of him going 72 mph in town!

That picture says alot. Think about what is really says, especially about the bike itself. I'll let you figure that one out for yourself.

Personally, I like Bling and I like carrying lots of stuff when I ride. A picture on YouTube I saw here was of a guy taking a saw to the exaust pipe of his new Bolt. I cringed...

I ride a V-Star 950 Touring and I love the bike. If the Bolt performs anything like mine does, anyone would love the ride. What happens to the performance if it sheds a few pounds along the way...?

More importantly, what the Bolt says is more about Yamaha than what it says about the Bike. It says, Yamaha is paying attention to thier customers. Not just the ones like me who like farkles; however, also the ones like the guy who took it home and cut the pipe off.

Nice to see a company trying to make customers happy. OK, if they are competing with Harley at the same time, so much the better for them.

The price point makes it OK to take a new bike and bob it. The used 250's and 650's are no longer the only target consideration for those guys who want to rat out a Yamaha bobber. The Bolt is who this bike was made for. If Yamaha wont tell that you that I will.

Not only that, Yamah provides all sort of places to "Bolt" down your street bob farkles without doing a lot of drilling. In short, the BOLT is noting more than a platform, a bad ass junk-yard-dog. Nothing more and it was not meant to be.

Just my thoughts. Well done Yamaha... I am a totally bias Yamaha Fan!

http://youtu.be/jIWLlXEnjEc

PonyExpres screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 08:59 AM
PonyExpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #593
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Bolt vs 883 vs Bonneville

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/162...onneville.aspx

The Bonneville manages to win (don't ask me why they included a standard in this comparison), but the Bolt smokes the 883

HondaFanatic screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 09:00 AM
Old 05-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #594
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFanatic View Post
Bolt vs 883 vs Bonneville

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/162...onneville.aspx

The Bonneville manages to win (don't ask me why they included a standard in this comparison), but the Bolt smokes the 883
Smokes the 883?

Sure it outperforms the 883 but I don't think many buy an 883 for performance. In regards to build quality I got the impression they felt the 883 was more refined....

“The Sportster definitely hits with fit and finish. Instrumentation, levers, everything feels more solid and refined than the other two rides. The steel tank on the Harley feels firm and the whole bike may shake, but it doesn’t feel like it’s going to fall apart. The Bolt and Triumph tanks feel flimsy by comparison and the controls cheap,” Madson said."

And I thought one of the selling points for the Both was that it had more ground clearance than the 883 yet they had this to say.....

"The Bolt’s handling is severely limited by the low pegs. We were running a far from aggressive pace and the poor Star was scoring off its pegs at an alarming rate. Keeping the pegs low may make the rider triangle more amenable to a broader range of riders, but it scrapes on virtually every corner – even routine left and right handed turns in the city caught us napping when the hard parts would touch down.”

No doubt both are great bikes but each have their limitations. If one really wants performance, one can easily double the 883's hp as well as upgrade the suspension. I'd guess you could do the same with the Bolt but don't know how easy it would be compared to the HD and at what cost or if the rest of the bike could handle the added output.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #595
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Smokes the 883?
Hmmm lemme see...

Faster 0-60
Faster quarter mile
Better gas mileage
Better throttle response
Better clutch engagement
More efficient transmission
Better ergos
Better wind protection
More comfortable ride
Better front fork control
"A torquier powerband"
"The Bolt sounds burlier"

"The Bolt’s air-cooled V-Twin beats the Harley with a torquier powerband. The Bolt sounds burlier, and it delivers with a more direct throttle. Unlike other metric rides, which feel detuned and mellow, the Bolt bangs out some personality, without shaking the rider around like the Sportster. Some riders will prefer the ‘character’ of the Harley, but I think the Star V-Twin is easier to live with – and more engaging"

"The Sporster’s weight manifests most, perhaps, during braking, where its single-disc front rotor felt the least potent. The lever felt wooden compared to the pinchy feel from the Bonneville and the stouter Bolt"

"That character extends to the Harley’s rubber-mounted 883 Evolution engine. Fire up the Sportster and it’s the old familiar Harley sound and sensation. The “Blockhead” engine, in one variation or another, has been around since 1984 after all. But it’s also amongst the Sportster’s strengths and weaknesses, as that rattle and roll translates to plenty of vibrations at idle. Get it up to speed in the high rpm range and a hard vibration transfers to the footpegs. Getting onto the freeway running in fourth gear at 70mph it felt like my foot was going to slide off the peg. It renders the mirrors almost useless too because everything becomes a blur."

"A single-pin crankshaft and forged connecting rods provide the Bolt’s lumping character, doing so with a rigid-mounted engine serving as a stressed member. The Sportster engine is rubber-mounted yet still will shake the fillings out of your teeth at idle. Both bikes redline in first gear at almost the identical spot, the Bolt tapping out at 43mph, but the Star gets to that point quicker thanks to immediate throttle response. Unlike the late engagement in the throw of the Sportster, the clutch on the Bolt gets into the friction zone almost as soon as the lever is let out. Team that with a spot-on Mikuni closed-loop fuel injection system that’s controlled electronically and throttle position sensors that react immediately to input from a rider’s right wrist and you’ve got a bike that lunges in the lower gears every time you shift."

HondaFanatic screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 11:27 AM
Old 05-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #596
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,355
A few things I got from the article.

The SE looks great in black with a red frame.

And crusiers are very slow! I didn't expect them to be fast but those numbers are awful for a motorcycle.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #597
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFanatic View Post
Hmmm lemme see...

Faster 0-60
Faster quarter mile
Better gas mileage
Better throttle response
Better clutch engagement
More efficient transmission
Better ergos
Better wind protection
More comfortable ride
Better front fork control
"A torquier powerband"
"The Bolt sounds burlier"

"The Bolt’s air-cooled V-Twin beats the Harley with a torquier powerband. The Bolt sounds burlier, and it delivers with a more direct throttle. Unlike other metric rides, which feel detuned and mellow, the Bolt bangs out some personality, without shaking the rider around like the Sportster. Some riders will prefer the ‘character’ of the Harley, but I think the Star V-Twin is easier to live with – and more engaging"

"The Sporster’s weight manifests most, perhaps, during braking, where its single-disc front rotor felt the least potent. The lever felt wooden compared to the pinchy feel from the Bonneville and the stouter Bolt"

"That character extends to the Harley’s rubber-mounted 883 Evolution engine. Fire up the Sportster and it’s the old familiar Harley sound and sensation. The “Blockhead” engine, in one variation or another, has been around since 1984 after all. But it’s also amongst the Sportster’s strengths and weaknesses, as that rattle and roll translates to plenty of vibrations at idle. Get it up to speed in the high rpm range and a hard vibration transfers to the footpegs. Getting onto the freeway running in fourth gear at 70mph it felt like my foot was going to slide off the peg. It renders the mirrors almost useless too because everything becomes a blur."

"A single-pin crankshaft and forged connecting rods provide the Bolt’s lumping character, doing so with a rigid-mounted engine serving as a stressed member. The Sportster engine is rubber-mounted yet still will shake the fillings out of your teeth at idle. Both bikes redline in first gear at almost the identical spot, the Bolt tapping out at 43mph, but the Star gets to that point quicker thanks to immediate throttle response. Unlike the late engagement in the throw of the Sportster, the clutch on the Bolt gets into the friction zone almost as soon as the lever is let out. Team that with a spot-on Mikuni closed-loop fuel injection system that’s controlled electronically and throttle position sensors that react immediately to input from a rider’s right wrist and you’ve got a bike that lunges in the lower gears every time you shift."

Hmmmm... Why compare it to the 883 when the 1200 is available? Most people in the Sporty market are going to pick a 1200 over the 883 anyway if they care about performance at all. IMO, you can't compare based on engine displacement alone. Instead, to be fair to yourself you should really be comparing it to other similar bikes that potential buyers will be shopping it against. IMO, that would be the XL1200 more times than not.

Faster 0-60 - See comment about XL1200
Faster quarter mile - See comment about XL1200
Better gas mileage -Maybe so
Better throttle response -Maybe so
Better clutch engagement -Maybe so although my Sporty's clutch feels good to me.
More efficient transmission -Maybe so
Better ergos - Ergos are WAY too subjective to make such a blanket statement IMO. ANd again, this is stock to stock, but as we know, a lot of people change things like that on this type of bike anyway. I'm quite happy with the ergos on my 48 now that I have it set up the way I prefer. Seat looks to low on the Bolt, IMO And that's hard to "fix".
Better wind protection - -Maybe so but not a huge consideration for me on this type of bike, personally
More comfortable ride. -Maybe so, but suspension would need to be upgraded on them both to make me happy.
Better front fork control - -Probably so since the stock HD forks pretty much suck and really need springs and Intiminators to function well. Then again, so equipped they would be better that the Bolt's.
"A torquier powerband" -Maybe so, but again, see comment about the XL1200 above.
"The Bolt sounds burlier" - -Maybe so. But exhaust would probably be changed on both bikes by many if not all. And at least the stock Sporty exhaust is attractive. Can't say that about the Bolt's. And there's really not much that can be done about the butt ugly tank seam on the Bolt either...

I also disagree with a few things in the above quoted review. They talk about doing 70 on the freeway in 4th. Did they not know that the Sporty has had a 5 speed box for a while now?

Another thing... anyone that's ridden a rubbermount knows that while they do vibe a little, it is a low frequency type of thing. I don't find it objectionable at all. It's quite unlike the buzz that a lot of other bikes have. "Shake the fillings out of your teeth"? PUH-LEEASE! That sounds like a throwback to times gone by before the rubbermount 1200.

Then there's the "burlier sound". Comparing stock to stock that may very well be true, but in all honesty, how many Sporty riders leave the exhaust stock?

I'm sure that the Bolt is a fine bike and will suit the taste and needs of many. Not trying to put it down at all, but I really think that if we're going to do a comparison, lets look at its "real" competition, if not on price point, then at least what other bikes the actual buyers will be looking at. For me personally, the decision was easy for a multitude of reasons.

Can you guess which way I went?

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 12:21 PM
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #598
motorat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
why didn't they use the speedmaster instead of the bonneville?
just like when they compared the thruxton to the 1200 roadster and complained about the foreward leaning position on the triumph.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #599
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorat View Post
why didn't they use the speedmaster instead of the bonneville?
just like when they compared the thruxton to the 1200 roadster and complained about the foreward leaning position on the triumph.
Maybe 'cause they have some bias before writing the "reviews"?
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #600
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,315
I think this point has been brought up by others but dismissed by many here....

"One area the Bolt feels particularly larger is between a rider’s legs. The cylinder heads on the Bolt are wide and the airbox is big so you can’t snug up as close to the bike as the Sporty or Bonnie. Your right leg presses against the airbox on the right side while the exposed cylinder head on the left side has a wire bracket to protect a rider’s leg but it digs in at the top of your calf. It also detracts from its fit-and-finish as it looks like it was placed there as a last-second decision after Star realized riders would be burning their leg on the left jug if they didn’t do something."

So is this better ergos?

Like I stated and Randy pointed out...if your looking at this type of bike in the HD line-up and want or need performace that will spank the Bolt you would buy the 1200 off the floor or buy an 883 and easily convert to 1200 or 1250 cc.