Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #706
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFanatic View Post
Low & Mean mocking up a chin spoiler
yeah, he used the chin spoiler on the last bike to hide the r/r component.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #707
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
thanks for the offers of help with the 450. It only had 2200 miles on it when we bought it. It runs pretty good. She put 300 miles on it last weekend. So it doesn't need much. This weekend I will change the oil and check the valves. I am going to replace both rear turn signals. The PO broke one of them when he hit the bike with his lawn mower. The other one is scratched. The front brake lever is bent, so I will replace that too. Picking up all the parts today,

I have o do something about those tires, too...
Mine had like 15k on it when the clutch went out on it from excessive wear/heat. It had too many noob miles. Yours is probably better off.

A set of progressive shocks for the rear of that bike really changed it into a whole nother machine. I know it's a cheapo old bike for the missus, but it's hard to go wrong putting better suspenders on one. It's not a big cash outlay either (like 200 bucks or so). Highly recommended along with fork springs.
Those bikes have spindly suspension parts that age ok, but after 20 years need to be redone.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #708
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Mine had like 15k on it when the clutch went out on it from excessive wear/heat. It had too many noob miles. Yours is probably better off.

A set of progressive shocks for the rear of that bike really changed it into a whole nother machine. I know it's a cheapo old bike for the missus, but it's hard to go wrong putting better suspenders on one. It's not a big cash outlay either (like 200 bucks or so). Highly recommended along with fork springs.
Those bikes have spindly suspension parts that age ok, but after 20 years need to be redone.
agree with the suspension change, but Mrs. B has no idea, and a long list of things she wants already, so it will have to wait. Plus if I manage to sell the Nomad and get something smaller, I will probably want to change out that suspension and do some farkling right away. The budget can only withstand so much abuse at one time.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:13 AM   #709
TINGLER
Swamp lips

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Granted.

And for that same mentioned 7K I could build a pretty neat Sporty... Just sayin'...

If I had 7K to spare that is....

Quote:
No, you can't.
Sorry Kraven, not only are you absolutely wrong, but at $7000 you and Randy are also about $2000 over budget on a neat Sportster.

My personal experience is at around $5000 and it would have been a lot less if I'd not got carried away with ordering from catalogs. Within that $5,000 is the price of the bike, new shocks, new seat, new handlebars, new tires, chain conversion, new pipes, new carb. If I'd have sourced all of those parts used, I could have came in at around $4,000 most likely.

Mine's a 2006 with 13,700 miles on it too. I've put 3,700 of those miles on it. So it's not old, nor used up and clapped out.

If a person is asking $5,000 for a Sportster, they'll take much less. The used market is absolutely overflowing with Sportsters right now.

EDIT: Ooops, should have read the thread a little farther down.
Quote:
Sorry, I was just messing with you, Randy.

But that would be a good deal for you.

TINGLER screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 08:23 AM
TINGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #710
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Gotta be sure you know what's going on, brah.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #711
TINGLER
Swamp lips

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Gotta be sure you know what's going on, brah.

TINGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #712
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Local guys finally have Bolts.

I guess that means every dealer has them now? We're apparently a marketing backwater.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #713
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,342
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINGLER View Post
Sorry Kraven, not only are you absolutely wrong, but at $7000 you and Randy are also about $2000 over budget on a neat Sportster.

My personal experience is at around $5000 and it would have been a lot less if I'd not got carried away with ordering from catalogs. Within that $5,000 is the price of the bike, new shocks, new seat, new handlebars, new tires, chain conversion, new pipes, new carb. If I'd have sourced all of those parts used, I could have came in at around $4,000 most likely.

Mine's a 2006 with 13,700 miles on it too. I've put 3,700 of those miles on it. So it's not old, nor used up and clapped out.

If a person is asking $5,000 for a Sportster, they'll take much less. The used market is absolutely overflowing with Sportsters right now.

EDIT: Ooops, should have read the thread a little farther down.

Well, yeah, but I'm also thinkin new wheels, and maybe even a Storz tank too, depending on which way I went. And then there's Ohlins shocks, springs and intiminators for the forks, fork brace, upgraded brakes, head work, cams, etc... It tends to add up when you really go to town. There's just so many possibilities for the Sporty that it's hard to say exactly where I'd end up since I have several different ideas for possible directions. In truth, if I really did what I want, and had the funds, I'd start with a used Sporty in the 4 to 5K range, but I'd probably end up with more than 7K in it. But, it would still be one hell of a bike, IMO.

But still, my point was that starting with a nice clean used bike allows you to do so much more for the same overall cash outlay, or in my case much less. I have no doubt that starting with a $5K, low mileage Sporty I could do EVERYTHING I want and still end up well under what a new stocker would cost OTD.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #714
kraven
Hegelian Scum

It's worth another 2500 to have a brand spanky new bike with a warranty, Bolt's linerless cylinders and roller rocker equipped heads, and no uncertain history. For my money.
You can do what you want. I like the Bolt.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #715
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
Kraven, do you actually own a BOLT?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #716
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFanatic View Post
A few more from Low & Mean

Subscribed.......I cant wait to see how this looks when completed!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #717
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Kraven, do you actually own a BOLT?
Lyle
Do you actually read this thread or just come here to grump in it?

That question has been answered.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #718
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Do you actually read this thread or just come here to grump in it?

That question has been answered.
Yes or no would have taken less effort. I come here to rain on your Cheerios. I see you have one.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #719
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Yes or no would have taken less effort. I come here to rain on your Cheerios. I see you have one.
Lyle
Yeah, but I'm in the habit of writing for my audience.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #720
kraven
Hegelian Scum

A short review by Carruthers at Cycle News:
http://www.cyclenews.com/365/21492/R...Star-Bolt.aspx

Quote:
What sets this motorcycle apart from the competition is that at its very core, it’s still a Yamaha (there’s even a slight hint of Yamaha badging to prove it). And that’s a good thing. It means it has good brakes, the fit and finish is top-notch… it will run for days and days. And it will fire up for you each and every day. It all adds up to minimalist in looks, but not in function.