Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #61
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
One thing really stands out on the bike, the lack of a big YAMAHA on it like all their other bikes.
A friend had a vulcan, and I noticed the same thing, very small fine print said Kawasaki someplace.

Why can't they get the weight down a bit on these bikes?
Air cooled twin, why so darn heavy?
I wonder how they cool that engine. Where's the cooling fins for the heads and I thought I read somewhere that the ones on the cylinders were bolted on.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #62
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,045
I think it's gorgeous. I think it will be a blast to ride.

As for a 5 sp vs 6 sp - what matters is how the gears are spaced, not how many there are. My Nomad has a 5, and imo that is all it needs. I used to have a Shadow 1100 with a 4 sp, and never thought it needed a fifth. On the other hand, I have had 6 sp bikes that I thought needed another gear. It used to be "stylish" to have a 4sp. I guess I'm showing my age. Lots of torque and a broad powerband helps too.

Walk with the wise and become wise,
for a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #63
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
One thing really stands out on the bike, the lack of a big YAMAHA on it like all their other bikes.
A friend had a vulcan, and I noticed the same thing, very small fine print said Kawasaki someplace.

I don't think any of the Star line up carry the "Yamaha" logo, do they? The Bolt has "Star" on the air cleaner, hand grip ends, foot peg ends, and the mirrors. Pretty sure they're going with "understated" on this one..."Less Is More"

EDIT
My bad...on the accessory hand grip ends & foot peg ends. And found a "Yamaha" too

HondaFanatic screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 07:29 PM
HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #64
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,855
Quote:

Imagine for a minute a titanium frame, carbon fibre everywhere, $30,000. I bet it would be really light but do you think someone wouldn't have a whinge about the aesthetics of that?

I don't think weight plays a big part in the buyers mind with these things. Might as well concentrate on cosmetics.

But hey I'm learning all the time in here so don't take my word for it.

Maybe they should just try an R6 cruiser see how it goes.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #65
ArmSC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
This picture kinda shows how far out the air cleaner extends into where your leg wants to be. That was the only ergo thing that bugged me. ArmSC did it bother you?
It didnt bother me but I guess im kinda used to it from my sporty. The peg position is not as foward as the hd with forward controls. I think this helps keep it out of the way but some with longer legs might have an issue. I would have to ride it to be sure...sitting is always best guess.

"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens."
ArmSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #66
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Wow, looks way better imo the pics somebody posted. Thanks for that. Its really growing on me now. I dont like the bolt thingy on the tank. Easily removed and I dont like the tail light. Just does not look right to me for some reason. Easiy changed. It weighs too much but so does every bike and car out there. Cant figure out why they cant cut a little out of all of them.

I am going to disagree about needing a 6th gear. I rode a 1200 Sporty a long way and it did not need a 6th because it could not pull it. I know the 883 is geared lower but it would not be able to pull much over the top gear anyway and I doubt the Bolt is any different. Unless, it just dropped rpms by 200-300 max and that would not even be worth the trouble. Same goes for the CB1100 Honda Fanantic mentioned. 6 gears are nice no doubt but over rated imo.

I cant wait to see the ride reports on this thing. I bet its going to be a very nice piece.
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #67
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
This picture kinda shows how far out the air cleaner extends into where your leg wants to be. That was the only ergo thing that bugged me. ArmSC did it bother you?
I don't know about the aircleaner on bolt, but I found its location and the way it transmitted vibration to my knee incredibly annoying and distracting on my Sportster.

Like with the Sportster, its ugly and over sized because EPA considerations, I would expect the aftermarket to address it.

Overall I think its a sharp looking bike, but the brushed metal shields and trim with the oval holes need to go.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #68
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post
I cant wait to see the ride reports on this thing. I bet its going to be a very nice piece.
But I thought for sure we'd have some reviews/first rides by now. This little looker is supposed to hit dealers by the end of this month.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #69
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Ask and ye shall receive...

All around very positive review. I really like what the writer had to say about the power and the suspension. Not ton's of details, but he only put 100 miles on it. And who would have thought motorcycles.about.com would be the 1st to put up the Bolt's "First Ride" review? Should be a lot more coming very shortly

2014 Star Motorcycles Bolt Review: Can The New Kid on the Block Beat Harley?

By Basem Wasef, About.com Guide

You don’t have to look very hard to see the similarities between Star Motorcycles’ brand new Bolt cruiser and Harley-Davidson’s tried-and-true Sportster… and with its $7,990 starting price, the Japanese bike is a mere nine dollars away from its competitor’s base MSRP, suggesting that Star is serious about beating the competition. But does that make the Bolt a worthwhile alternative to the Motor Company’s iconic offering?

Let’s start with the goods.

Yamaha’s Star Motorcycles division has made good use of their 942cc engine, which has powered their V-Star 950 and 950 Tourer line of bikes for several years now— and for its next trick, the air-cooled mill finds a home in Star’s new Bolt ($7,990) and Bolt R-Spec ($8,290) models, the latter of which adds remote reservoir rear shocks, a suede-like material on the saddle, black mirrors, and green or matte gray paint with a tank graphic.

While Yamaha says they benchmarked Honda’s 750cc range of cruisers, the Harley-Davidson Sportster Iron 883 was the clear target here: not only is it almost identically priced, Star made their bike 33 pounds lighter (with a curb weight of 540 pounds), and its 27.2 inch seat height is only one third of an inch taller than the Harley’s. Though Yamaha doesn’t disclose horsepower or torque figures, expect the Bolt’s mill to be fairly comparable to the Hog’s in terms of output. The engine is mated to a 5-speed transmission with straight cut gear dogs, and final drive is offered via a 21mm wide carbon fiber reinforced belt. A 3.2 gallon fuel tank promises roughly 150 miles of range—more or less the same as you’ll get from the Sporty’s 3.3 gallon tank.

Suspension travel from the Bolt’s telescopic fork and twin rear shocks measures 4.7 inches and 2.8 inches respectively—notably more than the Sportster’s 3.6 and 1.6 inch figures... but what’s it like to ride the Bolt?

On The Road

The Star Bolt is easy to swing a leg over, and those with virtually any body type should able to negotiate its mid-mounted controls and command a flat-footed stance at stoplights. Arm reach is moderate, and the cockpit view reveals a modern twist on the spare, custom cruiser style paradigm: sure, there’s the obligatory low-slung handlebar and blacked-out brake fluid reservoir, but circled in a chrome rim is a digital instrument cluster which offers a surprisingly dim (yet large) display of a speed, with a smaller LCD line offering rudimentary trip computer information. Not surprisingly, there’s no tachometer to convey engine rpms. The seating position offers an intimate interface with the bike’s mechanicals: an airbox sits immediately adjacent to your right knee, and a cylinder head presses against your left thigh. The Bolt’s v-twin comes to life with a relatively loud but modulated hum, its single-pin configuration delivering a bit less auditory rawness (and considerably less vibration) than its domestic competitor, which has a snarling, shaking temperament at rest. Clutch effort is light, and first gear engages with a smooth click and a slight nudge forward from the bike; let out the clutch, and those familiar Star Motorcycle characteristics come through, with intuitive handling and even-handed power delivery that’s biased towards low and mid-range torque.

Twisting the throttle off the line yields a nice lurch forward, and that initial surge of power tapers off into a lazier climb through the powerband until the rev limiter is finally reached. The mild upper registers inspire early shifting, which is rewarded with a renewed flow of power from the twin. The Bolt isn’t quick enough to threaten instantaneous trouble with the law, but there’s certainly enough grunt to inspire spirited riding. The seat, though cupped, proved reasonably comfortable during my nearly 100 mile ride which primarily consisted of city-oriented maneuvering through San Diego, and a quick jaunt through the chaotic maelstrom of Tijuana, Mexico. The single disc brakes work well, with impressive power routed in particular to the rear stoppers. Incidentally, ABS is not currently offered on the Bolt, though Star officials say that will likely change in the future.

Ride quality is firm but not punishing, and though I personally couldn’t discern any difference between back-to-back rides on the standard model and the R-Spec’s remote reservoir-equipped rear shocks through San Diego’s generally smooth roads, the Bolt’s relatively generous suspension travel make its feel considerably less jostled than the Harley-Davidson Iron 883 Sportster’s slammed and hunkered down road stance. As a whole, the Bolt rides and behaves very much as you would expect it to: with a sense of balance, composure and usability, despite its less-than-versatile, low-slung layout.

Bottom Line

With all those comparisons to Harley-Davidson, you’re probably wondering what’s the net sum difference between Star’s new Bolt and H-D’s time tested Sportster.Whereas the Sporty feels somewhat raw and unrefined, with its engine vibrations and abusive ride quality reminding the rider of its uncomplicated and elemental qualities, the Bolt comes across as more polished and smoothed out—and subsequently, more uncharismatic, as well. Style-wise, the Bolt is beat out by the Sportster, thanks to Harley's intrinsic cool factor and palpable sense of authenticity; the fact that it’s been around for more than half a century makes it hard to compete with the Sportster, and certainly helps it edge out the Yamaha when it comes to heritage and brand mystique. Whereas the Yamaha’s plastic switchgear feels like it’s been plucked from their parts bin (which it has), the Sportster’s hardware exudes a more timeless feel, even though some concessions have been made along the way— which, incidentally, can also be said for the Bolt, such as the zip ties which hold the wiring bundles to the handlebars. But while elements of the Bolt (like its fuel tank shape, for instance) look decidedly less original than the Sportster’s classically evocative shapes, there’s also plenty to like with the Bolt’s slick styling touches like the lightening holes around its exhaust pipes and its mean, modern looking muffler. The digital dash is a counterintuitive and inventive touch, and Yamaha also has no fewer than 50 accessory items coming soon, from clever retro-style brass trim pieces to a lower saddle, ape hanger bars, and a passenger seat.

On the other hand, the Bolt takes the advantage when it comes to usability with its strong, smooth running engine, supple ride quality, and agreeable ergonomics. This is also where all the clichés about the ridability and practicality of Japanese bikes are called upon: whereas Harleys have become more dependable than ever, there’s still something to be said about the bulletproof, functional quality of a modern Japanese bike.
Are you a sucker for ultimate cool, or do you let your rational brain take over when picking your next motorcycle? If you place value on both priorities but put more weight into real world usability, Star’s new Bolt and Bolt R-Spec should have what it takes to make you a happy motorcyclist.

Specifications

• Price: $7,990 (base), $8,290 (R-Spec)
  • Engine: Fuel-injected, air-cooled, 942cc v-twin
  • Fuel Tank Capacity: 3.2 gallons
  • Transmission: 5-speed
  • Final Drive: Belt
  • Fuel Economy: TBA
  • Curb Weight: 540 pounds
  • Seat Height: 27.2 inches
  • Ground Clearance: 5.1 inches
  • Suspension: Telescopic (front), Dual coilover shocks (rear; R-Spec with remote reservoir)
  • Suspension Travel: 4.7 inches (front), 2.8 inches (rear)
  • Brakes: Wave type, 298mm front and rear
  • Warranty: 1 year (limited)
Who Should Buy the 2014 Star Bolt?

Classic cruiser fans looking for a Harley-Davidson Sportster alternative with almost as much cool but considerably more usability.

(Link to original article)
http://motorcycles.about.com/od/yama...eat-Harley.htm
Old 04-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #70
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,449
Well, that responds to most of the surface criticism and gives some obvious clues about ride quality.

Should be a lot of reviews hitting the intertubes this weekend and early next week. Keep your eyes peeled.

I'd say a side by side comparo shouldn't take too terribly long to materialize either between all the bobber/roadster bikes.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:11 AM   #71
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 3,074
Thanks for the article Hondafan. Seems like the writer was a little biased toward the HD.

I do like the muffler. I might be a rebel and actually leave it on. The worst styling que for me is the "bolt" logo on the tank. Too bad it's not a decal that I could take off.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #72
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,049
Ok, taking it for what it is, the design seems a bit busy to me. To many brackets with to many holes in them. I think it would have looked better had they kept it cleaner and simpler. Overall it is not a bad look otherwise. The only really ugly parts are that clear? round tail light, and the plastic fender extension with all the reflectors all over it. I guess it would be easy enough to get rid of. The accessory sissy bar looks great, and gives it a finished look. Oh, and I would prefer the saddlebags be black. To this bike's credit, it does have tubeless tires.

JerryH screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 07:28 AM
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #73
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:

540 is extremely light for that big lump, same engine in the 950 V-Star is 640 pounds. I doubt if anybody else out there can shave 100 pounds off a bike other than customizers. This is a throwback to the early Indians, lighter equals faster with the same engine. I bet the new Bolt rips and has great feel for all day riding.

540 is very, very light.

Cruisers don't need a six speed, five is the overdrive model over what we used to ride. My old Intruder was a four speed, loved riding that thing. Four or five speeds are perfect for street bikes, we're just used to six in our world because that's where you get that low first gear for trail riding with a tall sixth for the highway.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #74
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFanatic View Post
I don't think any of the Star line up carry the "Yamaha" logo, do they? The Bolt has "Star" on the air cleaner, hand grip ends, foot peg ends, and the mirrors. Pretty sure they're going with "understated" on this one..."Less Is More"

EDIT
My bad...on the accessory hand grip ends & foot peg ends. And found a "Yamaha" too
On the top clamp is a tuning fork badge inset.

Here's a shot of the belt side. A lot of people are digging the matte gray color of the r-spec.

bigger 1024 size shot of one here
Old 04-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #75
bonekrusher
big jerk

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post
I am going to disagree about needing a 6th gear. I rode a 1200 Sporty a long way and it did not need a 6th because it could not pull it. I know the 883 is geared lower but it would not be able to pull much over the top gear anyway and I doubt the Bolt is any different. Unless, it just dropped rpms by 200-300 max and that would not even be worth the trouble. Same goes for the CB1100 Honda Fanantic mentioned. 6 gears are nice no doubt but over rated imo.
I have a zuk M50 and I think it needs a 6th gear pretty badly.

Guess I'd have to ride a Bolt to see if it's better but my guess is they're not that far apart tranny wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Cruisers don't need a six speed, five is the overdrive model over what we used to ride. My old Intruder was a four speed, loved riding that thing. Four or five speeds are perfect for street bikes, we're just used to six in our world because that's where you get that low first gear for trail riding with a tall sixth for the highway.
In 5th on my M50 I top out at 90 on a level surface, which is fine. I would like to be able to "cruise" at 80ish but the engine is just working too hard for me to leave it there for long stretches.
bonekrusher is offline   Reply With Quote