Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #826
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Well, it's like Bueller says. Every bike at this price point will likely need a suspension upgrade.

I'm not an Abercrombie. I don't buy brands.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #827
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I'm not an Abercrombie. I don't buy brands.

Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #828
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingballhead View Post
Hmmmmm, having trouble embedding the youtoobz if anyone has any ideas?
When in YouTube, click "embed" then copy the highlighted text.
In ADV, when/where you want to embed, click the AA symbol in the uppermost right corner of the toolbar (the label "Remove Text Formatting" will display when you hover over the icon).
Then just paste the copied text into your reply.
Preview to test.

Thanks for such a detailed review!
I am also somewhat puzzled about the mirrors on your Sportster demo bike - my 1993 solid mount 883 isn't even THAT bad (mirror-wise).
Like Randy, I would also suggest you try a 1200R - a nice low-mileage unit with a few low cost mods might just be your ticket.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #829
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Passive aggressive? Really? Plastic is what it is, a cost efficient way to make things. I have several bikes in my garage that have tons of it and it does what it was designed to do. I was just responding to the posts above mine, and like I said, it's just a personal taste thing. Some people don't mind it, like yourself obviously. In fact, on most of my other bikes I don't either. And, when I first looked at my Sportster I didn't give it much thought really. But, after living with it for a while, taking things apart and tinkering with it some, I've just developed a greater appreciation for the feel of its components. Something I'd never actually considered or put much stock in until I actually experienced it.

I made the reference to furniture because I do, and always have hated particle board furniture. I just prefer antiques and real wood pieces. I like opening the drawers in my antique oak chest of drawers and seeing the dove tail joints in the corners. It just gives me a feeling of old world craftsmanship that I find missing in much of the mass produced stuff of today. In fact, when I first bought that chest it wasn't in great shape. I bought it at an auction, came home, took it all apart and rebuilt it. So, it should be good for another hundred years or so. Particle board can actually be more stable and less prone to warp with humidity changes, so in some ways it has advantages for furniture construction. It can also be molded into complex shapes, and even have quite convincing faux finishes applied, while being quick and cheap to produce. But underneath, it still is what it is... not real. Some people get that. Some people don't. Not saying one person's way is "better" than the other. It's just a feeling.

On the engine front...

I might tend to agree if we were talking about taking real advantage of that new tech as they did in the R1, or countless other manufacturers have done with OHC and 4 valve heads. But, if we're talking about 50 lb/lbs and 40 some-odd HP? My Sportster does that, and a good bit more actually, and with just two valves that never need adjusting. In fact as most anyone knows, 4 valve heads really only come into their own when chasing higher RPM and higher HP. For low RMP torque two do just fine.

And if you'd care to drag yourself out of Harley's sad days under AMF, and look into them, you might just find that, while they have kept their classic architecture, they have made great strides in engineering and reliability these days. Not to the standards of Honda and Yamaha perhaps, but still not like the old days either. I'd also put the quality of fit and finish up against anything being built today as well.

And believe me, you're preaching to the choir here. For over 30 years of my riding career I loathed anything to do with the MoCo and for the most part would have been agreeing with you 100%. But, now, after honestly experiencing one, my opinions have changed. Or maybe it's just my tastes?
I can't believe someone besides me posted this. This is exactly the feeling I get with most new bikes. Not real. A fake that looks real from a distance, but is obviously just a cheap copy up close. No craftsmanship. Designed by a computer. Built by robots. Yes, it's performance may be better than the real thing, but the satisfaction of owning and riding it is not.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:22 AM   #830
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
This pretty much sums it for me and mirrors my experience with the two.
Best bike of the two for actually riding on a road and not parking in a bar or taking part in a parade. Buy the nameplate if you're that guy. But it's hard to deny that Star built a better bike.

I've not ridden a Bolt so I have no opinions of it, other than I like the basic styling and and think that it is a great platform for customization.

I do however have some knowledge of Sportsters, both 883s and 1200s

I can not imagine buying this bike if one's primary interest lay in the dynamic capabilities of a motorcycle.

The 883 is, in my opinion, a decent urban scoot with great visceral appeal. It has some nice low end grunt but gets wheezy in a hurry. Anything other than smooth, mildly curving roads, presents a challenge for the stock bike .

To significantly enhance it's dynamic capabilities, ( not merely improve it ) one would need to spend about same money that would be required to purchase a used, great conditioned, last iteration Ninja 250 R which, on the twisty bits, would still own the Sporty's ass.

I think the best reason to buy an 883, is because it speaks to you... because you appreciate the rawness of it and because when you look at it, you get wood.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642

Terrytori screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 05:28 AM
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #831
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I can't believe someone besides me posted this. This is exactly the feeling I get with most new bikes. Not real. A fake that looks real from a distance, but is obviously just a cheap copy up close. No craftsmanship. Designed by a computer. Built by robots. Yes, it's performance may be better than the real thing, but the satisfaction of owning and riding it is not.
I don't know what you're used to riding, but I grew up with Jap bikes. To me that old familiar look and feel always involved some plastic.

And I'd rather have my bike built by a robot than some hung over union slob who can't put a gasket on right.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #832
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
I think the best reason to buy an 883, is because it speaks to you... because you appreciate the rawness of it and because when you look at it, you get wood.
I agree. Dakez said I have a Bolt boner. I don't know why people feel like they need to continually remind me that I should be having a boner over what they like, instead of believing that I should ride what makes me happy.

We have a big ole thread on this sub for the Sportster, and this one for the Bolt. You don't see me over in the Sporty thread decrying the parts and pieces of it and promoting the Bolt?

I respect people's right to buy what they like, Terrytori. I like the heck out of what people have done to their bikes, like yours.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #833
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,374
Quote:
Again you are telling us that you think you are an expert on matters you have never experienced. You must be a really good reader.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #834
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Come on, Jer. Please sign my permission slip to buy a Bolt. I really like it.

And if a hog rider or hog rider wannabe doesn't sign my slip, Yamaha won't sell me a Bolt!

Help a brother out!

I just wish I could buy whatever the hell I want and like, but the red tape is what it is.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #835
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 446
I like both the Bolt and the Sportster for virtually the same reasons and would own and Ride either had I the scratch available to purchase one ... I lean slightly more in favor of the Bolt, but not because the it's a Yamaha or because the Sportster is a Harley ... both Bikes give me wood ...
Old 06-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #836
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
I agree. Dakez said I have a Bolt boner. I don't know why people feel like they need to continually remind me that I should be having a boner over what they like, instead of believing that I should ride what makes me happy.

.You don't see me over in the Sporty thread decrying the parts and pieces of it and promoting the Bolt?

Answer to the first part... because they need your experiences to affirm their own.

Answer to the second part... because you're ... a grown up.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #837
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Come on, Jer. Please sign my permission slip to buy a Bolt. I really like it.

And if a hog rider or hog rider wannabe doesn't sign my slip, Yamaha won't sell me a Bolt!

Help a brother out!

I just wish I could buy whatever the hell I want and like, but the red tape is what it is.
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #838
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
That is the ideal reason to buy the bolt, it performs better in every situation besides the Tim Horton 's parking lot chromathon poser test, where the Harley, no matter what model wins every time. I ride my bikes, I don't use them to visit the coffee shop parking lot then stand up like the cast of king of the hill by the fence and talk about their Harley.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk 2
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #839
kraven
Hegelian Scum

A guy did a low buck mod to his exhaust. Thread is over on the Bolt forum.
http://www.yamahastarbolt.com/how-to...xhaust-today!/
There's another guy in process to make a full system.

This one is LOUD.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #840
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,190
^Too loud, with that hollow CB350-with-straight-pipes-"plop plop plop" sound at idle. Looks - meh.

I predict DirtHopper will do much better.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote