http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...iew-star-bolt/
Old 04-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #107
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFanatic View Post
New pics from review #2

Basic Black fans (kraven, this means you )

I didn't know the black model doesn't have the Bolt logo on the tank. Hmmm...could change things. Dammit, I told myself I wasn't going to buy another black motorcycle

Dayum!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #108
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Another glowing review! So far every one has loved the power delivery, brakes, and smooth (for a Bobber) ride.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/275/15...irst-Ride.aspx

I think Yamaha is dead on target with this bike

Interesting side note:
Never once was any product from H-D mentioned in this review, and it was written by Bryan HARLEY

HondaFanatic screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 10:13 PM
HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #109
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Finally a decent review, but I'm getting annoyed at the flannel shirt uniform. They are making this bike so cliche even before it's released.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
maybe we need to do a group buy on red flannel shirts?

I really don't think the red flannel shots in the articles are set ups from Yamaha.

The latest reviews are all showing different riders, but in the same settings. And the motorcycle-USA.com writer states Yamaha "unleashed a randy band of motojournalists on the unsuspecting streets of San Diego"

It's been a few years, but this sure could be the San Diego I remember.

Bet this guy is a journalist who just happens to fit the bill. Hell, I own a few flannels myself
Old 04-11-2013, 04:51 AM   #110
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 3,827
It seems no one can tell the difference between the R shocks and standard, so to me that means get the base model (in black) then look for a decent upgrade with the $300 saved.

I don't know much about crusiers, who's known for making good crusier suspension bits?
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #111
Eugene
-

Oddometer: 1,135
Quote:
It seems no one can tell the difference between the R shocks and standard, so to me that means get the base model (in black) then look for a decent upgrade with the $300 saved.

I don't know much about crusiers, who's known for making good crusier suspension bits?
If you went the base model route you'd also have the option of going with shocks that had a tad more travel, if that's your thing. Progressives are popular shocks for a lot of cruisers and they're affordable. I wonder how some of the progressives would compare to the r-spec version's shocks. Since the forks are damper rod type, race tech emulators or ricor intimidators would surely help damping.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #112
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,882
Quote:

Progressive has stepped up in the past few years.many of their top shelf shocks carry a lifetime warranty. Haven't seen a set fail yet so cannot comment on the customer service for that warranty.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #113
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:

1. If you don't have a thing for the r-spec only colors, you're all set.

2. Check the usual suspects like YSS, Hagon, Progressive, etc. I don't know for sure, the shocks don't look like anything too crazy and should be able to match off the shelf ends.

YSS advertises their standard shocks at 299 and piggybacks for 399. Hagon has a value line at 199, and they go up to nitro stainless adjustable pair for 499. Progressive is around there too, but you can buy those through a local parts store. RaceTech has a line of dual shocks for vintage bikes, if you want to really make the bike boogie. RaceTech can probably sell you emulators for the front forks too. To my knowledge they're just 41mm KYB with damper rods.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:32 AM   #114
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
I really don't think the red flannel shots in the articles are set ups from Yamaha.

Bet this guy is a journalist who just happens to fit the bill. Hell, I own a few flannels myself
Me too.

But now it's going all mainstream. Time to change.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #115
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

But the again, motorcycle-USA.com says this

Quote:
A KYB 41mm fork and twin KYB shocks handle suspension duties adequately, but with a 220-pound rider on board, the twin rear shocks did hit the end of their 2.8-inches of travel abruptly on some of the larger potholes around San Diego. The standard units are designed to be soft in the initial compression stroke which translates to a slight floating sensation under normal road conditions, though we’ll admit that they are preload adjustable and we didn’t attempt to dial in the settings. We didn’t recall blowing through the stroke aboard the up-spec R-version of the Bolt, which delivers a more plush ride with its piggyback reservoir units. Considering the R-Spec only costs $300 more than the standard Bolt, we’d recommend going with the R-Spec solely for the performance upgrade provided by the anodized remote reservoir shocks.
Tough call Probably gonna take some real world back to backs to tell the diff. Only problem is no R-Spec till July.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #116
kraven
Hegelian Scum

He did say that he weighs 220 and bottomed the standard shocks once or twice.

Quote:
but with a 220-pound rider on board, the twin rear shocks did hit the end of their 2.8-inches of travel abruptly on some of the larger potholes around San Diego.
Probably the bodyweight is a good indicator of where limitations are. I generally find that the mid size cruisers are suspended for a person around 165 or so. I'm 205 and usually wish for more on any mid size cruiser I ride. So, I expect I'd be saying "shut up and take my money" to YSS or RaceTech with either model. Which is fine by me. I live in a place where I can make the most of noice suspenders. And I can add some extra travel, get the bike off the ground more, and get the stance I'd prefer with custom shocks and fork parts.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #117
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,097
This tells me that no matter what model you get, it could never do any 2 up riding without a shock change.
I wonder why most modern bikes are that way, new Bonneville, Sportsters, bolt, none seem to be able to handle 300 pounds on the bike.
The bolt having a better ride then a sportster is not saying anything, some hard tails likely have better rides.

In the old days, ALL bikes could handle 2 up.
Maybe the damping was wimpy, but the springs were usually ok.

Plus, looking at the people riding the bike, their knee's are way out, fun at 70 mph having the wind blow your legs apart for hours, a problem my sportster had with its big gas tank.

Test ride before buying this bike...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #118
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:

Rick's got you covered.

http://www.motocd.com/

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #119
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post

In the old days, ALL bikes could handle 2 up.

In the old days I put air shocks on every bike so I could ride two-up. The old days shocks were complete crap. GS550E with air shocks was awesome. Hipster couples weigh 185 lbs...combined, the bike will be fine.

In the old days we wore flannel because it was cold.

I don't test ride bikes anymore, it leaves me in an endless search for a bike that doesn't exist. I find one that I like the specs on and buy the damn thing, I can tailor it to suit me later.

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #120
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,179
Quote:

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote