Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #16
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
When i first started riding out here it scared me but now i just crank up the stabilizer and call it good. Even fully loaded with pillion and all i dont have a real issue with it until the gusts are 70+.

The only slight issue i have is the girl trying to break my ribs holding on.
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #17
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
Definitely not a wuss for playing it smart. Crazy wind like that and you kept yourself alive. Its another factor in trying to ride safe. It's hard to keep the fewest possible.
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 AM   #18
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 419
Yeh, I spend a lot of time on bikes in the midwest and west with the job, and have come to the conclusion that wind sucks (and blows). What is it about Kansas anyway? I've never ridden thru there, either back roads or interstates, and not had that bloody north cross-wind howling. Don't people in Nebraska know how to shut a door?
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #19
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,771
As an all season rider in the NE I have to say that high winds are my least favorite condition to ride in. High wind gusts are scary!

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #20
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,924
dwestly,
How do you get a job as a "there are a few benefits to being an OEM demo rider..." ?
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #21
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,927
Quote:
I just won't ride in it -- absolutely no fun and dangerous to boot. I will never make fun of anyone who chooses not to ride in crazy winds...
Discretion si the better part of survival. However, when it has been windy I've gotten out and "practiced", just to see how the bike reacts.

Quote:
I was driving the family VW van with two empty Sears X-Cargo top carriers on it...
Back in the '70's we'd make many weekend trips to Atlanta from Birmingham. Coming back in a VW Beetle (front gas tank, low on fuel with a light front end) on Interstate 20 there was one mountain pass that was particularly treacherous with winds. We learned to slow down and tippy-toe thru there.

--Bill
Old 04-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #22
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Snips View Post
When i first started riding out here it scared me but now i just crank up the stabilizer and call it good. Even fully loaded with pillion and all i dont have a real issue with it until the gusts are 70+.

The only slight issue i have is the girl trying to break my ribs holding on.

The news said it was gusting to 75 mph on Monday, I believe it.

Yesterday it less gusty, just steady...slightly better.

I've ridden two-up on my GS in 75 mph steady with gusts over 100 mph, exhausting day. First turn into a cross wind that day blew my magnetic tank bag off the tank, caught it between my elbow and side.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #23
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
dwestly,
How do you get a job as a "there are a few benefits to being an OEM demo rider..." ?
My wife and I own the company that manages and operates (under contract) the street motorcycle and ATV demo teams for a major OEM's U.S. motorcycle division.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #24
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,812
I have been riding since 1980 often in all weathers and thought I had experienced strong winds until a trip on 2008. Crossing the Severn suspension bridge between England and Wales on my old R80RT, with strong gusts from the side was an "interesting" experience but I realized that if I kept a light grip on the bars, she would self-correct and only move about 3 or 4 feet sideways with each gust. The RT's fairing didn't catch as much wind as I'd expected coz Dewnmoon was with me on a weestrom and was having just as much "fun".

Thought that was bad until a week later when we rode around the NW tip of Scotand with similar cross-winds for several hours. Got used to it fairly quickly and just slowed down a bit and tried to predict when the terrain would direct the strongest blasts at us (and from which side). Still had to slow waaaay down when vehicles were coming toward us as it was a single-track road and we were occasionally using the whole width. Followed a guy on a 650GS single for a while but he bottled-out after getting blown onto the verge a couple of times.

Thought THAT was bad but then spent the whole of the next day battling gusty winds (up to 60mph according to the weather man) and belts of rain for nearly 900 miles from John-O-groats to Land's End. At least it was mostly headwind so while it shook us about badly, we were only blown across the lane occasionally. At one point in N. Cornwall, the headwind was so strong I had the throttle pinned but she was managing only 77mph. My shoulders hurt for two weeks afterwards from being pushed and rattled about for 16+ hours.

Also got to ride through a storm cell with freak winds and tornadoes one time - out in mid North Louisiana where there was no shelter for miles. I was with a group heading for Arkansas and we could barely hold the bikes up when stopped so just plodded on for about 15 to 30 min, in torrential rain, riding over/through fallen branches and getting plastered in blown wet leaves and grass. Had to work our way around several fallen trees and downed power-lines, including a mile or two of dirt road "detour" through the woods. That trip was known thereafter as the "Wizard-of-Oz tour".

Did someone say 100mph gusts???? Hmmmmm. Have experienced genuine 100mph winds offshore in N. Sea and there is no freakin' way! If you laid the bike on its side in the road it would probably get blown into the ditch and you with it.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 04:47 PM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #25
Balootraveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
WIND does suck not blow. I live in a windy place, Snake river plane in ID, thus the plethora of windmills. There is nothing wrong with bagging a ride due to wind, I think you were smart.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #26
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,293
My worst day on 2 wheels was 4 years ago heading West from Iowa City to Rapid City with my riding buddy. The last 500 miles on I-90 is something I never want to repeat! When we stopped at Wall for gas, I told Doug I would only leave there if he led the last 50-60 miles!
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #27
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I have been riding since 1980 often in all weathers and thought I had experienced strong winds until a trip on 2008. Crossing the Severn suspension bridge between England and Wales on my old R80RT, with strong gusts from the side was an "interesting" experience...
Yep, use it often. Still prefer it to the new bridge. It often gets shut due to high winds. I was crossing it once with my wife riding pillion on a GPZ900 in a crosswind that obliged me to lean hard. Bad bit was passing the pillars, which cut the wind. It pays to be ready to correct the over-lean or down you can go.

Similar experience riding back through northern France on BM 1100RT with a friend on pillion. On the E42 between Lille and Dunkirk the crosswind from the east was savage. There are always lots of big articulated trucks on that road; coming up to each one I'd prepare to correct the lean as I reached the wind shadow and then have to 'pre-lean' as I came out of it. My pillion was not happy when we reached Calais.
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #28
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,727
Scariest 45 minutes of my life was on I84, in Oregon along the Columbia River. I was riding a loaded 990Adventure. The highway winds along the river, and the wind bounces and swirls off the randomly shaped cliffs and valleys, so it hits you from different directions. Constantly. I had to slow to 45mph to stay in my lane, and when trucks blasted by in the left lane at 85 or so the wash was bad. Since there are no offramps to speak of, there was no way to escape the interstate.
Found out later they had hurricane force or above winds- 70mph and higher- that day. Would have been a good day to stay home.
Last year, coming home from the Hell's Canyon Rally in Oregon, my then girlfriend (now fiancee) and I were fighting wind and rain for a couple hundred miles. Going through rolling wheat fields in the Palouse, as the road cut through hills the wind would drop as you were protected, then resume as you left the hill, so it was lean/straighten up/prelean/lean. Seemed to be a lot of semis going the other way, so similar drill at higher speeds. She was in front of me, and i watched her get blown all the way across her lane at a 30* angle, to the fog line. I realized I was doing the same thing, only on knobby tires. It got so bad we pulled off in Pullman and spent the night. Wound up renting a UHaul to get home, through some scary winds and torrential rain. Best money I ever spent.
One guy headed home from the rally did get blown off the highway, fortunately into a wheatfield so he wasn't too hurt. Bike was munched though.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #29
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

You get the same problem between the ranges on US 50 thru NV, between Ely and Fallon. The mountain ranges (several) are all separated by about 8-10 miles of flat valleys, and the wind howls down those valley passes. Every now and then the road will pass between some low hills in the pass and the wind will slack momentarily. You have to be ready to catch the bike both when the wind slacks and then again when you leave the shelter of the low hill. Makes for some focused riding...

dwestly screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 08:13 PM
Old 04-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #30
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Years ago, riding a ZZR 1100 from Sydney to Canberra in OZ, the side wind was blowing that hard, i thought, if it suddenly dies down, the bike will just keel over. The two and half hour ride felt as if i'd been riding the whole day.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote