User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
GrenDesb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Old Style Motech Bars on 990

I know some have fitted them but I can't find pictures.

Anyone knows where there could be a thread about modifications of the old style motech bars to fit the 990s ?
GrenDesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,795
If you changed the front fender to a 950 fender, I think you could fit the old bars. The 990 fender is taller, 950 hugs the wheel more. But, I don't see why you'd start with this. It would be a mess.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
GrenDesb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Apparently the interference is between the upper mounting point and the ECU located in the front fairing of the 990.

These bars I'm talking about.

Attachment 129065
Old 04-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,024
Thumb Worth The Trouble

Those high bars work great. I changed my (non-ABS) bike from the low version to the tall ones you're interested in- they do offer superior protection, and work fine with a high fender. They also work great for picking the bike up or strapping it down anytime it might ride in a truck/trailer

You're going to have to move the ECU, and modify or replace the headlight/instruments subframe so the top front bar mounts can bolt up together. It's a PITA as there isn't much room up there under the headlight, and a further PITA w/KTM's small wires & unusual connectors (which, luckily, have OEM part numbers so you can buy them now)

If you had a good welder/fabricator perhaps they could modify the upper tubing to meet under the ECU box, and somehow tie into the upper fairing.

You prob know all that already- but I don't know of any threads for this modification.
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
GrenDesb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post
Those high bars work great. I changed my (non-ABS) bike from the low version to the tall ones you're interested in- they do offer superior protection, and work fine with a high fender. They also work great for picking the bike up or strapping it down anytime it might ride in a truck/trailer

You're going to have to move the ECU, and modify or replace the headlight/instruments subframe so the top front bar mounts can bolt up together. It's a PITA as there isn't much room up there under the headlight, and a further PITA w/KTM's small wires & unusual connectors (which, luckily, have OEM part numbers so you can buy them now)

If you had a good welder/fabricator perhaps they could modify the upper tubing to meet under the ECU box, and somehow tie into the upper fairing.

You prob know all that already- but I don't know of any threads for this modification.
Any picture of how those bars tie up to the instrument subframe?

Yes, I can fab up quite some stuff. Just want to get an estimation of the work needed before buying some bars.