Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
Sumi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
Lower shock bolt SOS

Hey!

I'm in a proccess of swaping my shock to an S spec one, but the problem is that I can't get the lower bolt undone. It just keep spinning but won't go in or out. It's like it has stuck in the bearing. This is the new style swingarm so I can'T tap it from the other side.

Need urgent help!

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
Hey!

I'm in a proccess of swaping my shock to an S spec one, but the problem is that I can't get the lower bolt undone. It just keep spinning but won't go in or out. It's like it has stuck in the bearing. This is the new style swingarm so I can'T tap it from the other side.

Need urgent help!

Thanks in advance!
I had the thread strip out of my 03 950 on the lower shock mounting,thought i would have to repair/fit a heli coil insert etc to swingarm,i ended up just fitting a bolt (head ground down to fit through hole in swingarm,allen head cut and welded to ground down bolt head with lock nut fitted,was 20k ago and not a issue,maybe your bolt is siezed in the shock bearing or possibly thread is stripped?,the cause of my problem was some halfwit tightened the bolt with a 1/2 drive airgun and stripped/damaged the threads,found problem when out on a ride,if thread is stripped i can give you a photo of what i did to mine to fix it,ie bolt length/grade etc etc
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
Sumi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno950 View Post
I had the thread strip out of my 03 950 on the lower shock mounting,thought i would have to repair/fit a heli coil insert etc to swingarm,i ended up just fitting a bolt (head ground down to fit through hole in swingarm,allen head cut and welded to ground down bolt head with lock nut fitted,was 20k ago and not a issue,maybe your bolt is siezed in the shock bearing or possibly thread is stripped?,the cause of my problem was some halfwit tightened the bolt with a 1/2 drive airgun and stripped/damaged the threads,found problem when out on a ride,if thread is stripped i can give you a photo of what i did to mine to fix it,ie bolt length/grade etc etc

The main problem is that I can't get the bolt out (as from 2005? the swingarm is a closed design.. and there is no access from the other side of the bolt)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
The main problem is that I can't get the bolt out (as from 2005? the swingarm is a closed design.. and there is no access from the other side of the bolt)
My 03 950adv is open design,you could see the end of bolt from rhs,a friends got a 990 that is closed design,yes as you said cant see it,mabybe a problem if stripped/damaged thread ,hope all works out for you

johnno950 screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 07:26 AM
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
max2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Were you able to unthread the bolt and then it got stuck in the shock bushing or does it spin like you tore the threads out do the swing arm?

Mine was a little difficult to remove, I left the top shock bolt in, loosened the lower shock bolt, sprayed with lots of lube between shock and swing arm, and while jiggling the swingarm up and down, I used a magnet on a stick to remove the bolt.

http://www.amazon.com/Ullman-GM-2-Me...et+pickup+tool
2007 KTM Super Enduro - Sold - HUGE Mistake letting it go
2006 KTM Adventure S - Sold / 2007 KTM 950 Supermoto - Sold
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
CRW
I dont want a pickle

Oddometer: 729
you might need to cut an access hole. 1" hole saw???
CRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
dog'meat
Presidient

Oddometer: 168
No pics no fun...

Can u take pics and show..?
Mexico City, Xilitla, Aquismon, the Cave, the River and the Shangrila...
Mexico City, Cuetzalan, Nautla, Veracruz
dog'meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Sumi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the input guys!

This is how a 15min job turns into a 5 hour brain meltdown:)

We finally managed to get the bolt out with an impact wrench and lots of playing around.

Yes the situation was what max2 wrote -> bolt unthreaded for a while, then got stuck in the bearing.. It has stripped about 5mm of the thread in the swingarm (the start of the thread)

Fortunately it still has enough thread on it to hold on well upon reinstall.

The bolt was quite rusty, so the moral of the story for me is that one should check this bolt from time to time, maybe apply some lube on it to prevent it from seizing in the long run. I think on my 2005 bike this bolt was never removed before.

Still thinking that this a bad design - not to be able to access this bolt from the other side (dust and water can get into the swingarm anyway, rusting things inside - a seized chain adjuster bolt is more typical - or at least it's more frequently discovered as most of us never touch the shock's bolt).

Yes, I know that some bikes with the old style swingarm had the swingarm cracked - so I understand why KTM has reinforced it, and I guess KTM thinks that every 2-3 years the whole bike should be disassembled just to check if everything is alright with it..

Sorry I didn't make any pics of this part of the suspension swap (I should have made:() - We were quite frustrated about getting the bolt out and it has turned into night when we were finally done with it. But here is a picture from the morning, when I was undoing the forks in my bike, and hoping that the whole work will be done in 3-4 hours, not knowing about the fun that the lower shock bolt is willing to throw for me:)