Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #166
Matt fe2o3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
If you're riding alone in remote areas, this could be your biggest issue. I can pick up my loaded R12GS alone...on dry level ground. But it ain't easy, and at 57 it gets harder every year!
BTW, Gorgeous bike!
Picking up the bike - You need to work on your "CORE STRENGTHS" - fuck I hate hearing that phrase...my "Core Strengths" invove getting through the honey do list and a 12 pack on a good Saturday.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #167
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #168
Elbiluco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Cool2 Not an ole fart, but getting there!!!

I bought an S10 a week before Christmas. I broke my leg on Christmas day! No, not on the bike. Dont ask!
At 42, things dont heal like they used to. Ive always heard people say that.....Now I know why....
Anyways for the last couple of weeks Ive been able to ride it on some short distances. Last week I took a couple of hours ride. I like it. Very nice. Dont bash any other bikes because I dont know about them, and I truly love anything that goes fast and has two wheels. I must say I like the S10, more so with my beautiful wife riding two up! Godspeed!
Jos 24:17
Elbiluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #169
my3sons59 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
If the Wee had a shaft drive, it would be the PERFECT sub-1000cc adv bike. IMO, the chain is about the only strike against this otherwise nice bike. Am I the only one that has a pathological hatred for chains, their mess, maintenance, etc.? (another of my bike hangups that I'll blame on the Gold Wing...spoiling me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
For such a short ride I'd take......

The KLE if it was primarily dirt roads and trails, but the KLE is tar capable at 70mph even loaded with camping gear.

The Wee if it was primarily tar, but the Wee is more than capable on dirt with the right tyres [I have a Mefo Explorer on the front and a Mitas E07 on the rear].

My day rides run up to 250 miles [300-400 km]

My trips run two weeks on average and around 1,500 miles [I think I've done the maths about right- 2,400 km]

If I had to own just one bike to do it all........the KLE because it is lighter and better on the dirt, 30% tar/70% dirt while still capable of long distance touring [apart from the small fuel tank, but a Rotopax jerry can solves that].

But if I was doing more tar, like 70%/30% then the Wee would get the nod instead.

Unfortunately Kawasaki never continued the KLE500, it would be a top contender against the mid range DR650-KLR650-KTM-BMW- and so on, pack of bikes.
my3sons59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #170
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Have a look at the new KTM1190R, if you can find a better adventure touring bike congratulations! Worth the money? Suppose it depends where you live, here in Australia it will cost quite a bit.
Good tank range (probably up to 450 km`s = 280 miles), massive power (100 or 150 crank hp depending setting of mode), low weight 230-235 kg full tanked (at least for this kind of bike), comfy (according to others), very capable off road. If money would be no object and it would be available I would get one yesterday guaranteed!
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #171
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,707
I actually hate chains probably as much as you do. But on the other hand: there isn't all too much to do for them to be honest. About every 300 to 500 miles I put the bike on the centerstand after a ride, turn on the engine, put it in 1st gear so that the wheel is turning and the chain moving and put some Dupont Dry Lube on.

Also, I check the chain tension visually at the same time. Takes about five minutes. I have a chain oiler sitting on the shelf, waiting to be installed, but I'm too lazy and I think it'll create more mess on the bike and I might just live with the above procedure ... And yes, I hate chains, I think they are anachronistic shit from the 60s that have no place on a modern road bike. I still live with them. Although I'm still wondering whether there's a way to get a belt drive on my Tiger.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #172
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Chains are not too bad, yes they need changing every 30000 km`s (1875 miles) depending quality of the gear and other factors, some people can manage way more than that. I use Dupont teflon lube only once in awhile, ride on dirt roads and creek crossings and can manage more than 20000 km`s before I adjust the chain. Probably spend $300 in 30000 km`s on chain/sprockets and lube.
Lube the chain just take a few second if you have it on the centre stand.
Chain/shaft will not be a decision factor for me, they both good.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #173
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
There are some reports about that the 1190 will bake your taco on hot days.
Hey Red Dust. Doesn't it get hot is Australia?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #174
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Chains are not too bad, yes they need changing every 30000 km`s (18750 miles)
Left off a zero 30k km's is almost 19 thousand miles, not 19 hundred

I have a friend who never lubes the chain on his DR-Z400SM and got 25,000 miles from the first chain, and has 40,000 miles on the original sprockets.

+1 on the Dupont teflon lube
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #175
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

I`m sure the bike will not be hotter than my R1 was before changing my exhaust, that bike left me impotent..... now it is a cool bike.
Have not tried the 1190 as yet but I`m confident that it will not be noticeable.
We do have Winters here, kind of and some nights can be cool and some places it does even snow but not in Queensland.
If you think the KTM will be too hot, try a stock 2004 R1 at the traffic lights when it is 40 Celcius in protective clothing...... boiling hot even sauna hot.
It is a nice Winter bike though.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #176
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry. it should have been 18750 miles.
Think I will go for a shaft next time if I can find any $ in my budget for a XT1200, low mileage. Most/everyone that owns them seems to like them.
It seems to be a "lot" of bike for the money not many issues.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #177
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,051
Quote:
Have a look at the new KTM1190R,~ low weight 230-235 kg full tanked (at least for this kind of bike),
235 kg to us yanks is 518lb .. after you start adding on luggage, one could be creeping up on 600lb...

NO way I'm picking that up on dirt ... maybe with a winch.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #178
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes it is still heavy but think it is the lightest 1200cc Adv bike.

After watching the last video of the AUS/NZ promo video it seems to be able to tackle a little bit of dirt at least. Of course for real off road you want a light bike but it is surprising what you can still do with one of these heavy weights.
I believe all the electronics help a lot.
On YouTube there is a clip that shows how "simple" it is to lift the almost 600 pounds XT1200 if it is laying on the ground, just need the right technique.

Also if you traveling around Australia or somewhere remote and you got really bad roads e.t.c. I think it will be ok and more comfy than a real trial bike.
I think that is the purpose of these giants, to travel in comfort and also be able to ride on bad roads.
Mind you the 230 kilos (506 pounds) is with a full 23 litre tank (6 gallon).
Of course a 200-250 pound trial bike would be better but at my age I would not take it on long distance touring, guess they only have a couple of gallons tanks as well.
If I ever get a 1200 adv bike I will leave the real off road adventure for others but love to ride on dirt roads and forest tracks.
I have had a lot of fun with my DL650 but after 6 years with it I`m thinking about move on to something else, money wise I think a 2nd hand XT1200 will tick most boxes I have.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #179
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,038
Quote:
Yes it is still heavy but think it is the lightest 1200cc Adv bike.

After watching the last video of the AUS/NZ promo video it seems to be able to tackle a little bit of dirt at least. Of course for real off road you want a light bike but it is surprising what you can still do with one of these heavy weights.
I believe all the electronics help a lot.
On YouTube there is a clip that shows how "simple" it is to lift the almost 600 pounds XT1200 if it is laying on the ground, just need the right technique.

Also if you traveling around Australia or somewhere remote and you got really bad roads e.t.c. I think it will be ok and more comfy than a real trial bike.
I think that is the purpose of these giants, to travel in comfort and also be able to ride on bad roads.
Mind you the 230 kilos (506 pounds) is with a full 23 litre tank (6 gallon).
Of course a 200-250 pound trial bike would be better but at my age I would not take it on long distance touring, guess they only have a couple of gallons tanks as well.
If I ever get a 1200 adv bike I will leave the real off road adventure for others but love to ride on dirt roads and forest tracks.
I have had a lot of fun with my DL650 but after 6 years with it I`m thinking about move on to something else, money wise I think a 2nd hand XT1200 will tick most boxes I have.
You will love your xt1200.

I know I do.. Easier to ride slow than my KLR650.

That means a lot when you're nearly 60!

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #180
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons59 View Post
If the Wee had a shaft drive, it would be the PERFECT sub-1000cc adv bike. IMO, the chain is about the only strike against this otherwise nice bike. Am I the only one that has a pathological hatred for chains, their mess, maintenance, etc.? (another of my bike hangups that I'll blame on the Gold Wing...spoiling me)
55,000 km on the first chain on my '09 Wee, along with the front sprocket [@ 67,*** km now still with the original rear sprocket on the bike going strong].

Intermittent lubrication, when I feel like it.

The bike does 70% tar, 30% dirt and is ridden all year round [it is also my work commuter, as well as weekend ride and long distance loaded tourer].

Nothing hard about chains in my book.....and better than the last shaft repair bill I got for the now gone, but not missed, BMW R1150GS.

Chain also gives you the option of tweaking the ratio to suit your personal riding needs, going bush and need a nice crawler first gear- no problem, swap a sprocket, want to go the other way for taller highway top gear, swap a sprocket- cheap and easy.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is online now   Reply With Quote