Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #106
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 16,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
All current big ADV bikes are very capable of doing just about anything you throw at them, mostly they're biased towards the road though there are a few exceptions. What makes the difference is which bike speaks TO YOU. That's kinda hard to know unless you ride them all.

KTM's new 1190 according to a few reviews that I've seen, appears to be a very serious contender, and I wouldn't be surprised if it'll actually become the 'benchmark' in this class. Haven't had a chance to ride it so far myself, but a very interesting new model (don't know if it's sold in the US this year, though).
There are some reports about that the 1190 will bake your taco on hot days.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #107
my3sons59 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Thanks for your post. Based on all the positive feedback I'm getting on the S10, I'm definitely feeling better about the possibility of owning one. You certainly seem very happy with yours. Is there any aspect of the S10 that you would change or that falls short of what you expected? Any additional info or comments would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Well I now have empathy for anyone trying to decide on a new bike. I tend to pretty
much now what I want and just go get it. Not being in the market right now I'm not
stressing over anything. All these comments of how "lucky we are to have all the choices"
hit me today. Went on a slab ride with some people I've never met. GS800, Triumph 800XC,
GS 1200, RT1200 and my Tenere. Lucky for me they were curious about the Tenere and
willing to do some extended bike swapping. I kept thinking about these threads on chosing
a bike and rode theirs like I was going to chose one.

Man it's not that easy. Liked the lighter weight of the 800s. GS was too plush for me.
Bottomed out easy. Nice mid range power, out of breath around 100 miles an hour.
Liked the ergos.

The Triumph does have the motor everyone keeps talking about. Kinda reminded me of
my FZ1. Great sound, smooth and impressive top end. Hated the high pitch whine.
Ergos were like being a passenger on a sport bike. Pegs are quite high. Nice firm suspension.
Seemed to be a sport standard with a 21 inch front wheel. But oh that motor.

I've been on the RT and big GS before and did not trade. Both exceptional rides.

At the end of the day I was happy I didn't have to chose one to buy. I was fine to get
back on the Tenere and do not regret that purchase at all.

There sure are a lot of great choices out there. Explains the need for an extra garage.
my3sons59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #108
my3sons59 OP
Adventurer

Awesome looking bike! I can tell from the photo that you're having a blast riding it! Are you TOTALLY pleased with it? Anything you'd change? Would you buy again? Any additional comments & info would be appreciated.

Quote:
Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #109
my3sons59 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for your post. May I ask: what bike are you considering if/when you decide to replace your XR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
My $.02 - It's lookin' like the S10 might be your hot ticket. Lots of folks are doing dirt and gravel on them with no problems. I was out yesterday for instance on a 170 mile back road / gravel road run in southern Kentucky riding my XR650L ahead of a 65+ year-old retiree w/ two artificial knees riding an S10. I couldn't lose him even in the fresh, loose and deep gravel stretches.

I would, however, get a little off-pavement experience on a cheaper (and smaller) used bike like a KLR or a DR before popping for the big Yamaha. There is a learning curve once you leave the pavement and you may wish to consider keeping that curve as short and inexpensive as possible. Just sayin'....
Old 04-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #110
my3sons59 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for your post. I'm very curious: can you give me a comparison of how you (and your butt) feel(s) after a moderate day (say, 300 or more miles) of touring on the S10 versus your 'Wing? Your answer may help me decide whether or not to take the "adventure bike" plunge, so I welcome any information you can share on the subject of overall comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
This is not a difficult question to answer even though several respondents seemed committed to derailing your preference

Your thoughts were exactly the same as mine. I am the same age as you and I previously rode a 2006 Yamaha FJR1300. It was a great bike but it was fairly heavy and not real comfortable over the long haul. I decided to make the move to an "Adventure" bike and looked at all options. Most of my riding will be on the road but I wanted to be able to hit the unpaved roads as well. I narrowed it down to 2 choices the S10 and the Crosstourer. Since I live in the US I could have died of old age waiting for American Honda to import the Crosstourer. American Honda does not have a clue and does not appear to have learned anything from one mistake after another. The built the VFR1200 with a great motor in a bike that no one was asking for and were surprised when it did not sell worth a crap.

That leaves one bike the S10. Overall, it is excellent. I am 6'3" so I needed to make a few changes with the windscreen and seat but other than that it is just about perfect for rider comfort.

As a side note, I also picked up a 2012 Goldwing mainly for my wife who has been riding with me much more frequently. The Goldwing is very comfy and has great power but if I was leaving tomorrow for a 2000 mile ride by myself I would take the S10.

Good Luck!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #111
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons59 View Post
Awesome looking bike! I can tell from the photo that you're having a blast riding it! Are you TOTALLY pleased with it? Anything you'd change? Would you buy again? Any additional comments & info would be appreciated.
How much time have you got?

There is a reason you hear so much positive feedback from owners, the bike deserves it.
By no means is it a class leader in any one category. Doesn't have the most power, isn't the
lightest, suspension is good not fantastic, lights could be brighter etc...

Some call it a 1200 cc KLR. I own a KLR so I can kinda relate to the analogy. It just does just about
whatever you ask of it in the most reliable way possible. There is a running contest in the Tenere
community to find one that actually broke. Lost spoke nipple, some punctured sump pans (get a good bash plate)
personally I've bent the wheels 4 times beating the shit out of it, fork seal leak some first US models
had a headlight harness issue. Overall not a single major failure I can find on the internet searches.

Yes it is heavy for serious off road use. Yes it is surprising how well it does for a 1200cc dual sport.
Not just groomed gravel road. Real off road river beds, rocky trail, steep climbs, stuff you look back
and marvel the bike just went through that. I never intended to use the bike as much off road as I do
now. Only because it is so much better at than the stat sheet would ever let you think it would be.

As a street bike it replaced my FJR. In 6 months of ownership I never rode the FJR again. I do miss
the awesome top end of the FJR but am literally comforted by the ergos of the Tenere. Lots of leg room,
nice upright seating position, plusher ride and for me it corners better than the FJR. Really good wind
protection and a large selection of after market windscreens. That photo of me has a V Stream tall
touring screen on the bike. Great for street use, a little tall for off road so I switch to the OEM
touring screen if I'm doing more off road.

You're right when you mentioned "looks like you have a blast riding it" I do. It's fun to ride with
smaller bores off road and have them shocked at where you are going with it. Just as much
fun to do a long slab day and can't wait to do it again the next day. It's really a wash and ride
machine. I don't give mechanical problems a second thought and that peace of mind is worth
every penny to me.

Would I buy it again? I buy everything again. Two Superhawks, two Bandits, Two KLRs,
Two Viragos, Two FJRs, Two SV650s, Four Reflex scooters, I'm on my 6th Jeep Grand Cherokee
so if I like something I usually do buy it again and the Tenere would not be an exception.

I did start a thread for anyone who wanted to vent about the Tenere. Hope it helps.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809307
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #112
my3sons59 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the awesome post and for the helpful info! With all the motorcycles that you listed, may I ask how long you've been riding?

Quote:
How much time have you got?

There is a reason you hear so much positive feedback from owners, the bike deserves it.
By no means is it a class leader in any one category. Doesn't have the most power, isn't the
lightest, suspension is good not fantastic, lights could be brighter etc...

Some call it a 1200 cc KLR. I own a KLR so I can kinda relate to the analogy. It just does just about
whatever you ask of it in the most reliable way possible. There is a running contest in the Tenere
community to find one that actually broke. Lost spoke nipple, some punctured sump pans (get a good bash plate)
personally I've bent the wheels 4 times beating the shit out of it, fork seal leak some first US models
had a headlight harness issue. Overall not a single major failure I can find on the internet searches.

Yes it is heavy for serious off road use. Yes it is surprising how well it does for a 1200cc dual sport.
Not just groomed gravel road. Real off road river beds, rocky trail, steep climbs, stuff you look back
and marvel the bike just went through that. I never intended to use the bike as much off road as I do
now. Only because it is so much better at than the stat sheet would ever let you think it would be.

As a street bike it replaced my FJR. In 6 months of ownership I never rode the FJR again. I do miss
the awesome top end of the FJR but am literally comforted by the ergos of the Tenere. Lots of leg room,
nice upright seating position, plusher ride and for me it corners better than the FJR. Really good wind
protection and a large selection of after market windscreens. That photo of me has a V Stream tall
touring screen on the bike. Great for street use, a little tall for off road so I switch to the OEM
touring screen if I'm doing more off road.

You're right when you mentioned "looks like you have a blast riding it" I do. It's fun to ride with
smaller bores off road and have them shocked at where you are going with it. Just as much
fun to do a long slab day and can't wait to do it again the next day. It's really a wash and ride
machine. I don't give mechanical problems a second thought and that peace of mind is worth
every penny to me.

Would I buy it again? I buy everything again. Two Superhawks, two Bandits, Two KLRs,
Two Viragos, Two FJRs, Two SV650s, Four Reflex scooters, I'm on my 6th Jeep Grand Cherokee
so if I like something I usually do buy it again and the Tenere would not be an exception.

I did start a thread for anyone who wanted to vent about the Tenere. Hope it helps.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809307
Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #113
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the awesome post and for the helpful info! With all the motorcycles that you listed, may I ask how long you've been riding?
Since I was eight. Worked in a motorcycle shop for 8 years as a kid. Well kid by
my age today.

Can't get them out of my system. Still keep a garage full of em so I can at least fake youth.

You can make me get old but you can't make me grow up.

pluric screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 09:32 PM
Old 04-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #114
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Thanks for your post. I'm very curious: can you give me a comparison of how you (and your butt) feel(s) after a moderate day (say, 300 or more miles) of touring on the S10 versus your 'Wing? Your answer may help me decide whether or not to take the "adventure bike" plunge, so I welcome any information you can share on the subject of overall comfort.
First off, I put a Corbin seat on the S10 and it makes a world of difference. The big difference is the leg room. I am 6'3" and I am able to stretch out on the S10. The Goldwing is designed so old or short folks can still ride it without dropping it. The bars come waaaayyyy back and the seat is lower than I would like. I am exploring different seat options for the Wing to help. The main difference between the two is I don't feel cramped at all on the S10 and it is by far the most comfortable bike of the 20 or so I have owned.

Quote:
protection and a large selection of after market windscreens. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809307
Pluric nailed it on the FJR as well. I also came from a 2006 FJR and liked it until I rode the S10. I was considering keeping both but I would not have ridden it much so I sold it. It does have a great engine but the S10 handles better and is more comfy.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #115
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,280
Quote:
Thanks for your post. May I ask: what bike are you considering if/when you decide to replace your XR?
The XR is a keeper, at least until I can't swing a leg over the seat - and at 65 that might be tomorrow or it might be 10 years from now. When solo bikes are no longer an option I'll turn my Suzuki DL1000 into a sidecar tug and continue on 3 wheels, off-pavement of course, until it's time to use the sidecar body as a coffin.

Until then... stay dirty my friend.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 06:49 AM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #116
my3sons59 OP
Adventurer

Did I understand you to say that, IYO, the S10 is more comfortable than your Goldwing?? If so, then that REALLY makes me want an S10. Can't wait to ride one to see if I have the same opinion. Are there any other 'Wing owners out there who have also owned or ridden an S10 that would care to comment on how the S10 stacks up to a 'Wing on overall comfort??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
First off, I put a Corbin seat on the S10 and it makes a world of difference. The big difference is the leg room. I am 6'3" and I am able to stretch out on the S10. The Goldwing is designed so old or short folks can still ride it without dropping it. The bars come waaaayyyy back and the seat is lower than I would like. I am exploring different seat options for the Wing to help. The main difference between the two is I don't feel cramped at all on the S10 and it is by far the most comfortable bike of the 20 or so I have owned.

Pluric nailed it on the FJR as well. I also came from a 2006 FJR and liked it until I rode the S10. I was considering keeping both but I would not have ridden it much so I sold it. It does have a great engine but the S10 handles better and is more comfy.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #117
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Did I understand you to say that, IYO, the S10 is more comfortable than your Goldwing?? If so, then that REALLY makes me want an S10. Can't wait to ride one to see if I have the same opinion. Are there any other 'Wing owners out there who have also owned or ridden an S10 that would care to comment on how the S10 stacks up to a 'Wing on overall comfort??
That's an odd comparison. I don't own a Wing but I've ridden the latest ones.
Plush and smooth to the point of overly refined for my taste. The 'tiller' handle bars
take some getting used to. The dead air was just that, dead air. I felt I couldn't breath
and was searching for vents to open. My convertable car has more air flow.

The seat was just short of a recliner, wide and a lumbar lip. Comfortable?, yes, are you
going to move around much?, no.

It handles surprisingly well for the mass. Parking lot manuvers are helped by the lower seat height
just be sure to keep it straight up. If you have an electric reverse on a motorcycle there is a reason.

Each their own, for me it was just too refined. Honda at it's finest. I like a little more rawness and
and a sense you are sitting on a motor. It's also very dedicated to one purpose, slab.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #118
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Yep, I said it. The S10 is more comfortable than the Goldwing for ME. More legroom, handlebars located better, able to move around a little more.

There are a lot of guys that came from an FJR and say that the S10 is more comfy as well. You would be surprised how natural the riding position is on the S10. It does need a better seat (corbin in my case) but I could not find anything else that needed to be changed.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #119
rockywidge
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
I’m 50+ & considering my first adventure bike. I’ve ridden a Goldwing for years (which I'll most likely keep...unless the adv bike completely satisfies), but I want a bike that provides more opportunities for exploring back roads. I estimate that 80% (or more) of my riding will be on pavement, and the other 20% will be on relatively decent dirt/gravel rural roads. Only occasionally will I have a rider on back (less than 2% of the time). I like to take meticulous care of my bikes & keep them washed & polished, but at the same time, I’m not afraid to get them (temporarily) dusty or dirty while exploring. So, having said that, I’m not the kind of rider that’s going to be taking my bike down through the woods on narrow trails or slopping through the swamp with mud up to the axles…just the occasional pot-hole riddled dirt or gravel road…and, if I’m lucky, maybe a trip from the deep south where I live to Prudhoe Bay or some other once-in-a-lifetime dream trip like that. With that in mind, here’s my must-have (or what I feel are must-haves) list:

* Relatively large motor (1000+ cc)
* Relatively large bike
* Shaft-drive
* Electronic cruise control, if possible (the Goldwing spoiled me!)
* “Lazy Boy” comfortable seat
* Butter smooth engine with no handlebar buzz or vibrating mirrors
* Very predictable off-road manners
* Bullet proof & "stupid" reliability/dependability. Other than routine maintenance, I, basically, want to put gas in it & RIDE. No valve adjustments, no taking it to the dealer, or crap like that.

Here are some of the bikes that I’ve considered, but most have been eliminated because they don’t meet the criteria on my wish list:

* Triumph XC: I hear it has a s-m-o-o-t-h engine, but it was eliminated because it has chain drive & a relatively small engine (although I probably could have learned to live with the 800 engine).
* Ducati MS: probably too fast/zippy for an ole fart like me (although I would welcome the opportunity to learn to live with that :-)), but eliminated because I read that Ducati has spotty reliability
* Triumph Explorer: once again, smooth & revvy engine, but I read that it sucks off road…way too front heavy…front bogs down…goes where it wants to
* Moto Guzzi Stelvio: I read several reviews, and it sounded great…until I read that it vibrates like a son-of-a-gun. Handlebars vibrate so bad that your hands go numb, and mirrors vibrate so bad that they’re worthless
* KTM 990: chain drive
* BMW GS/GSA: THIS WAS MY TOP CHOICE. I LOVE THE STYLING & LOOKS…but I won’t even consider one because of the absurdly high cost of ownership and maintenance (from what I've read).
* Honda Crosstourer: Hondas have served me very well for decades, so the CT just might be the ticket...if they ever bring it to the US.
* Yamaha Super Tenere: If Honda doesn’t bring the CT to the US (and even if they do), then I’m looking strongly at the S10. Some call it boring with “no soul”, but from what I’ve read, it sounds like a great bike that meets most of the criteria on my wish list.

I welcome any & all comments. Don’t hesitate to “rake me over the coals” if you think my logic is flawed or for any other reason that you care to comment on. I look forward to hearing from all of you, b/c the more information that I have, the better decision I’ll be able to make on my bike purchase. Thanks.

I have to weigh in here which is something I don't usually do to prove a point . I've ridden most of the bikes you mentioned except the Ducati which is considered the best of the bunch by many . The price sure is and your right , way to much HPs for me . The BMW GS has to many final drive problems and once again very pricey . The KTM is a great bike , chain or no chain and probably better off road than the whole bunch . The Triumph would be great if it wasn't so darn spookey in the corners . A little unnerving for this old fart . I didn't go for the Yamaha because it just didn't fit .
So , I bought the Stelvio NTX and here's why .

Great motor , tons of torque at all revs and in all gears . I did not find the vibration annoying to the point of disliking . Between 3 and 4,000 rpm , a lilttle more noticeable but certainly not to the point of seeing out the mirrors or feeling my hands go numb . Apparently emission standards in Europe make the bike run lean and the motor runs much smoother with a remapped ECU which I am considering but I'm not worried about it right away . Maybe after the first 10,000 kms . when its well broken in .

Great looking bike , great suspension , you won't be disappointed in the least with the handling and the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden . The 32 litre gas tank is also a feature .

Great value , all in bags , ABS Traction control , heated grips , very comfortable seat , less expensive by quite a bit than the other bikes .

As for off road , none of these bikes great as they're all too heavy . They are ok for gravel ,dirt roads and logging roads but thats about it . I plan on being on asphalt 95 % of the time .

I'm on Vancouver Island and there is a Guzzi dealer 3 1/2 hours away which isn't bad . They've made good progress in the last few years with expanding their dealerships .

I can't stay off this bike , its definitely going from wild to mild after having among other bikes a Triumph Sprint . This bike is an absolute joy to ride and more solid than anything I've previously ridden . Great wind protection and a good sitting position .
Just saying , give it a test ride if you can and make your own judgement but the vibration issue you read about is way over stated in my opinion. It has just enough vibration to let you know your riding a big twin which is old school and pretty alright for this guy having started out on a 65 Triumph many moons ago .
Good luck with your choice which ever it is , you'll be a happy biker on a new ride .
Cheers,
Steve
rockywidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #120
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockywidge View Post
I have to weigh in here which is something I don't usually do to prove a point . .

As for off road , none of these bikes great as they're all too heavy . They are ok for gravel ,dirt roads and logging roads but thats about it . I plan on being on asphalt 95 % of the time .

Cheers,
Steve
I love these comments. The point you have proven is you might be afraid to take these bikes
to the next level. Others do it every day.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....3&postcount=48