ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
FZcruzer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Knee scooter????

Hello all,
Took the Wife and Kids for a nice ride on Sunday, Wife had a blast as it was her first time out that she was comfortable on the bike and got to ride some easy trails. On the way home she was all excited about going out again and how much fun she had, that all ended when she was helping me unload the trailer. My bike was on the driveway on its kickstand and started to fall, she tried to grab it and the handle bar fell square on the top of her foot which led to several broken bones in her right foot. She is in a splint now and awaiting further care, we really have no idea how long recovery is going to take. She is pretty active and the crutches are not really going to work for her.

I remember reading on here about people using a knee scooter and think it might be the best alternative for her, I have looked at rentals and they go for about $100 a month or can buy one from about $250 - $400 depending on the type. I thought I would post up and see if anybody has one collecting dust that I could buy, borrow, or rent. Seems that many of us have foot injuries from the bikes and renting one for $100 month for more than a month does not really make sense to me. If you have one or have any recommendations please let me know.
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,182
I have a skate board milk box and a pillow....

You could have the combo for a twelver of PBR

J/K.... speed recovery
Old 04-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
FZcruzer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I thought about that, could put a nice KLR sticker on it for her, don't think she would be too impressed.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZcruzer View Post
Hello all,
Took the Wife and Kids for a nice ride on Sunday, Wife had a blast as it was her first time out that she was comfortable on the bike and got to ride some easy trails. On the way home she was all excited about going out again and how much fun she had, that all ended when she was helping me unload the trailer. My bike was on the driveway on its kickstand and started to fall, she tried to grab it and the handle bar fell square on the top of her foot which led to several broken bones in her right foot. She is in a splint now and awaiting further care, we really have no idea how long recovery is going to take. She is pretty active and the crutches are not really going to work for her.

I remember reading on here about people using a knee scooter and think it might be the best alternative for her, I have looked at rentals and they go for about $100 a month or can buy one from about $250 - $400 depending on the type. I thought I would post up and see if anybody has one collecting dust that I could buy, borrow, or rent. Seems that many of us have foot injuries from the bikes and renting one for $100 month for more than a month does not really make sense to me. If you have one or have any recommendations please let me know.
My mother-in-law just went through this, she researched her options after surgery and getting sick of crutches. She found the same options, almost $100 month to rent.

She found out her insurance would cover the cost of a knee scooter, as long as her Dr. had written a prescription for one. She called up her Dr's office to request an RX and they said sure, not a problem.

It's absolutely worth pursuing with your wife's Dr and seeing if they'll write an RX for one so insurance will cover it. Home health company will deliver it any everything!
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,564
your insurance should cover the cost.

it might be limited to the time you can rent it.

I used one a few years ago after breaking my foot on the moto and it made life a lot easier.

get the one that can turn and possibly the one with a basket.

check with your insurance and find a pharmacy that carries them or order one from one of the many websites.

it might be worth it to buy one and sell it when you're done.

good luck and fast healing thoughts are going her way.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
FZcruzer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info, I will check with our insurance people.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,476
The Convalecent Aid Society

http://cas1.org/wordpress/

in Pasadena lends equipment free of charge. I don't know if there's such a place near you.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,437
+1 on what RAZR said.

If insurance doesn't cover, don't be afraid to buy new and resell on CL later. When my wife needed one I researched the heck out of them and settled on the Medline Weil Knee Walker (great reviews on Amazon). Easy turning, adjust-ability and comes with a basket. Bought it new for $299 and sold later for $225.

http://www.amazon.com/Medline-Weil-K.../dp/B0015K015I

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)

joefromsf screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 04:39 PM Reason: added link
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
FZcruzer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I did not even think to look on Craigslist, there are a few listed, would probably be able to sell it again.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
+1 on what RAZR said.

If insurance doesn't cover, don't be afraid to buy new and resell on CL later. When my wife needed one I researched the heck out of them and settled on the Medline Weil Knee Walker (great reviews on Amazon). Easy turning, adjust-ability and comes with a basket. Bought it new for $299 and sold later for $225.

http://www.amazon.com/Medline-Weil-K.../dp/B0015K015I
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZcruzer View Post
I did not even think to look on Craigslist, there are a few listed, would probably be able to sell it again.
yup!

the funny thing is, I had tons of fun on mine.

I put skateboard stickers all over it. I was jumping off curbs. I would race my gf. it was great.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote