User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
pckopp OP
Aged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,310
Phil and Debb's European Adventure 2014

My wife Debb and I rode Europe last year and we had a great time. We started in Milan, as always, because we have our bikes stored there. I have a black '96 R1100RSL that some of you may know of. I purchased it from fellow inmate Duner Tor before he passed away. Debb rides a blue '05 DL650.

TL;DR summary: Italy, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Greece, Slovenia, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Italy

Part One - Italy 2014

May 1, 2014 Verona

“Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene…”

-- “…wherefore art thou, Romeo.” Casa di Giulitta

After a short ride from Milan, Debb and I are in Verona.

The weather today was perfect. I wore a t-shirt under my riding jacket and kept all the vents closed. Perfect. By the time we checked into our room I was getting a bit warm.

We took secondary roads from Milan to Verona, going through Cremona and Mantua. Light traffic, good speeds, and only a bare minimum of traffic lights. Lots of roundabouts, of course. One missed turn took us into a pedestrian-only area and several folks on bicycles waggled their fingers at us. Oops.

Our route took us through the heart of Emilia-Romagna, which certainly is the bread basket of Italy, and probably a few other countries as well. Beautiful, rich farmland watered by the Po River as well as many lakes and streams from the mountains to the north. This time of year it is the definition of verde.

Today, May 1st is a holiday. Verona was packed! It is still packed at 9:45 PM local as I write this. About a mile or so from the arena is Casa di Giulietta, a small alcove off a small secondary street. You can Google it. It is, of course complete fiction, but it draws huge crowds. Even more amazing is the narrow street from the plaza that is lined with world-class retail shops. Every brand name you can imagine has a stunning showroom. Lots of Victoria Secret kind of places. (Tough job, someone has to.) I guess they hope the Romeo and Juliet attitude will help move the merchandise.

Tomorrow a short trip to Mestre where we booked one of the last reasonably priced (FSVO) rooms that is in walking distance of the train to Venice.. Rain predicted for tomorrow, but nice beyond.

My BMW turn signals have stopped working and the clock keeps resetting to 0:00. Stupid bike. To think I could have had “gear driven cams!” instead of some Ewan wannabe.

-- Lovely arches welcome you to the arena

-- This woman is following me again!

-- I always enjoy the little details

-- Bruno Ruffo - 250 World Champion 1949, 1950, 1951

-- "Over every limit there's no limit"

-- A beautiful sculpture that most folks walk right by

-- Lovely stone arches

-- Evening on the arena plaza

-- Verona arena in the evening

Attached Files
File Type: gpx May1.gpx (168.9 KB, 29 views)

pckopp screwed with this post 02-11-2015 at 09:28 AM Reason: Added gpx track
pckopp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
pckopp OP
Aged Adventurer

May 2, 2014 - Mestre

Travelling will bring you a wide range of experiences. It is why we go. Some days, like yesterday were as good as it gets. Perfect weather, excellent roads, great food, smiling people, an interesting destination.

And then there are days like today. Every moment we were outside it was pouring rain. It rained so hard that several times my gps lost satellite contact and I had a blank screen while it tried to re-connect. A lot of today’s roads were very secondary and very much in need of attention. Some of today’s roads were brand new and my gps showed us zipping across a blank screen while it recalculated. Both Debb and I were soaked to the skin with our tankbags dripping. Anything not sealed in plastic was wet.

Today was one of those days you have to just get through. And we did. We are here in Mestre, which is the mainland gateway to Venice. The train station to Venice is about 100 meters from our hotel.

Our route took us south from Verona toward Legnano, then east to Monselice, north again through Padua (and I really mean through Padua. Complete gps fail.) , and finally here. We only went 96 miles but it took four hours.

We stopped for a break in Isola Rizza at a beautiful modern coffee shop. We ordered lattes instead of our usual cappuccini. The server brought us each a glass of hot milk and a shot of espresso. Debb wanted a stronger drink so she went back with the espresso cups and asked for two more. We got two each. Our latte is now a triple tall. Plenty strong enough for us! Our bill? 3E. I left a tip. All the while it was pouring rain outside but that spot brightened our day.

There are lots of big agriculture operations in that area. Fruit trees and nurseries and and lots of row crops. A lot of the fields were barely above water. It was also an area of very fine homes. Quite a lovely farming community.

I had intended to go east to the coast and avoid much of the city traffic we ended up in, but as we travelled east toward Monselice, the thunder and lightning started in earnest and the rain became biblical. I told the gps to take us straight to our hotel. I guess it did its best, but what a slog it was.

Dinner was kitty corner across a construction zone intersection at the only place we could see with a light on. An Italian couple about our age made us chicken salads and poured our drinks. We all knew about 10 words of the other’s language. Both of them were 5 feet tall and full of smiles.

The owner was quite stern with some folks who walked in with umbrellas dripping on his tile floor. He made one girl go back outside. There was an umbrella holder near the door with a big pan below and if you didn’t see it you incurred his glare. Only by chance did I see it, so it was all smiles for us.

The forecast is improving so it should be all smiles for us tomorrow.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:39 AM   #3
g®eg
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,761
subscribed!
bring it!

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g®eg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:37 AM   #4
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,671
Thanks for posting, great start!
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
pckopp OP
Aged Adventurer

May 3, 2014 - Venice

Venice is quite a place. It looks exactly like all those pictures you have seen except for the throng of tourists the photos never show. It was not packed with tourists today, but there were plenty of places with long lines and the major bridges were very busy. I can not imagine coming here at the peak of tourist season. Like Verona, it would be madness.

-- Typical morning canal traffic

There are a few other things I don't recommend. I'll explain with some photos.

Our choice of hotel has turned out to very advantageous. It is just around the corner from a very inexpensive car park for our bikes, and the bus to Venice leaves 10 meters from the front door. E1.30 each way and it takes 15 minutes. A fellow from Columbus, OH was checking in this afternoon and told us he was charged E26.00 to park his car at the big parking garage in Venice. Ouch.

The bus dropped us off at Piazzale Roma. We bought a map, available in your choice of 5 languages, and headed out toward St Marks. If you come wear your best walking shoes. Lots of steps up and down over the bridges and the only way to get anywhere is to walk or pay lots for a boat ride. Also, no moto I know of comes with luggage with rollers so staying in Venice on a bike will be a hassle. I can't imagine lugging my bike luggage over all those bridges and down all those narrow passages. Boat taxi services are available, but pricey.

We did make our way to Piazza San Marco and it is stunning in scale. The cathedral, like almost all we have seen is mostly covered in scaffolding so the total effect is only available in postcard form. Something else you may not want to do is eat or drink anything right there on the piazza. See the photos for evidence of this.

-- The famous St Mark's Belltower

-- Reason #1 never to eat or drink on St Mark's Square

-- A real gondola ride cost Real Money!

I thought of all you lawyers when I read that the long building on the north side of the piazza was built to house all the St Mark lawyers. Talk is cheap until you hire a lawyer! Even less so if you need a building the size of an aircraft carrier to house them all.

In the remake of The Italian Job, Donald Sutherlind and Mark Wahlberg are in a scene supposedly in front of St Mark's. For the life of me I can't see where that shot was made. Possibly not in this piazza, but I would think anyone seeing it would know it was wrong. I have lots of pictures of the area so I will have to view the movie again to see if I can figure it out.

We worked our way west along the Grand Canal and after a light lunch on some backstreet away from any plaza, we crossed the Ponte dell' Accademia. Very scenic views from the top of this bridge of the Grand Canal. Also, on this bridge is a tradition of buying a small padlock and locking it to the bridge on what I am sure must be specially fabricated stainless steel loops. Nearly every loop was jammed with locks, many with names and dates written in Sharpie on them. Are the keys tossed into the water? They must have crews come by every now and then and cut them all off. Very odd.

-- Looking south toward S. Maria della Salute

-- Looking north on the Grand Canal from Ponte Dell' Accadamie

The area across the Ponte Accademia is called Dorsoduro. Was the Aprilia moto named after that area?

By the time we made our way back to our starting point at Piazzale Roma, the sun was out and it was quite warm. Wear layers! It was quite chilly and sprinkling at the start of our day.

Venice is wall to wall retail shops. Everything you can imagine and probably some you can't. Local items include elaborate masks, Moreno glass, leather products, and of course, every major retailer of clothing and eye glasses.

We got dinner reservations through our hotel clerk and he told me that all reservations were sold out after 9PM. We would have to eat at 8 and only have an hour. He acted as if that was a real imposition but I assured him it was not.

We had some trouble following directions to find the place and when we finally turned the right corner and saw it our hearts dropped. There was a huge crowd standing around outside. As we got closer we realized everyone had a drink in their hand and it was just a friendly Saturday evening. When we left the crowd had grown all the way across the street. I made a rough count of over 100 folks waiting their turn for dinner. Only about 30 were eating inside with us. It was way too early for serious evening diners, of course.

We arrived exactly at 8, our waitress took us to our place and again she apologized profusely that we would have to be finished at 9. There were names at all the places all listed for 9PM. It turned out not to be an issue when a reservation for 6 turned into a reservation for 4 so we had all the time we wanted. In Italy, and most places in Europe, once you are seated the table is yours for as long you care to sit.

If not for the language and some of the artwork, it could have been a busy eatery in just about any place in the Western world. Lots of happy chatter, clinking of wine glasses, and servers hustling back and forth with food and drink. This place was decorated with the philosophy that no surface should go uncovered. It was a real grab bag of things, most of which looked like it came from years of garage sale Saturdays. Some photos and momentos looked to have been brought back by customers. The unusual bit was some of the art. There was a selection of very nicely done pen-and-ink drawings of nudes scattered here and there. One of these was a very realistic nude drawn from head to mid-thigh hanging at the end of a table at exactly eye height. Not something you expect to see quite so "up close and personal", as ABC Sports used to proclaim.

The food and service was excellent and the price very appropriate. Debb and I enjoyed a warm glow as we walked back to our hotel.

Hosteria Vita Rossa

Appetizer - Mixed Fish plate
- mussels
- shrimp
- octopus
- salted cod pieces
- Anaheim pepper stuffed with crab
- two little fish - about the size of my index finger and twice as long

Dinner for Debb

Chicken pieces in asparagus and mushroom sauce
- basmati rice
- grilled polenta squares
- seasoned potato chunks
- green beans with anise root

Dinner for Phil

Tuna coated with black sunflower seeds
- grilled polenta squares
- seasoned potato chunks
- green beans with anise root

Dessert

Tiramasu and Limoncello

House red wine
Water

-- Doesn't that look like Dustin Hoffman from about 30 years ago?

-- Just a sampling of many many masks for sale

-- More masks

-- Something in a leg (or a boob)

-- I never get invited to the kind of parties where I could wear these!

-- Neat idea! Make the construction cover look like the finished building

-- Fine detail work on this column

-- Gondoliers at work

-- Leda and the Swan

-- Our first view of S. Maria della Salute

-- The young woman creating these 'name tags' was brilliant

-- The official tail emblem of authentic Venice gondoliers

Old 02-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
pckopp OP
Aged Adventurer

May 4, 2014 - Murano and Burano

-- Another perfect day on a canal

The short version:

Breakfast
Ride the bus
Walk, walk
Buy a ticket
Walk, walk
Ride the boat
Walk, walk, walk, walk
Ride the boat
Walk, walk, walk, walk
Buy a ticket
Ride the boat
Walk, walk, walk, walk
Have dinner
Walk, walk, walk, walk
Buy a ticket
Ride the bus back to the hotel
Take Ibuprofin

We visited Murano and Burano today. 10 points and a chilled beverage if you know what those places are famous for. I'll wait here while you Google it. I knew one but not the other.

Gondola rides here are stupid expensive, but a ride on the public boat system is quite reasonable and the view from the water is priceless. You can buy a boat ticket in 12 hour increments up to 72 hours so you can get on and off at your leisure. Tomorrow we are getting a 12 hour ticket and ride, ride, ride,

Our first stop on the boat was Murano, world famous for glass. There are, of course a great many furnaces involved in glass production and back in the 1400's they were all moved out of Venice to prevent more fires. They've been there ever since.

Murano is Venice in miniature. It is a much smaller island and so not nearly as easy to get lost on. Lots of glass shops, lots of glass factories and they give lots of tours, but not so many on Sunday. We saw the tail end of one demo. It is not a huge attraction for us since we know folks in the glass business in Seattle. All the tools look the same to me. :)

There are some stunning pieces. Chandeliers between three and four feet across and 3 feet high were running about 3500 Euros. Some breathtaking table pieces, brilliant red with 'bubbles' inside were a much more reasonable 2000 Euros. A stunning centerpiece dish in rich pure colors was shown for 400 euros. On and on. Debb bought a very nice... Oops, can't say that one, the recipient may be listening. :)

There are no photos of any glass. There are big signs all over about no photography, both on Murano and Burano. I'm sure I could have gotten some shots but it seemed better to be a nice guest. Just imagine the finest glass you've ever seen. Good.

Lunch today was a shared plate of ravioli, a very nice dark beer and some chocolate lava cake. It was good. We chatted with the folks at the next table. They were from Dusseldorf and here for 5 days. "Come to Germany. there is lots of wonderful riding." I thought maybe he was with the Tourist Bureau.

More walking, more riding the boat, and then more walking on Borano. It is famous for lace. We saw a woman building something and it was going to take three days. It wasn't very big, whatever it was.

Both of these places look like they were built by movie set designers. Just to die for cute. Burano, especially is full of colorful houses. A rainbow down every canal. Very fun. Burano is even smaller than Murano and you can practically see the boat dock from everywhere.

The boat ride back was chilly. It cools off fast here this early in the year, especially on the water. We got off the boat and walked toward the Ponte Rialto and then wandered the occasional side street looking for an early dinner. We found it and dinner was good. Not spectacular, tho Debb spoke to another table of folks from Louisiana who raved about the Veal. Maybe next time.

While we were eating dinner an amazing scene took place in front of us across the plaza. All over Venice there are beggars, especially on the bigger bridges. They are practically laying down with their head almost touching the ground, all dressed in black robes and head scarves, with a cup in front of them. The cup has some religious pictures on in, both inside and out. They moan or make some noise every now and then.

So while we were sitting there, two of these persons walk quite briskly up to a door across the plaza from us. Their brisk walk is what caught my attention. One goes in and comes back out and tosses something to the other. She then proceeds to remove her black scarf and black skirt wrap, take her hair down, and start brushing her very long hair. She is a fairly young woman. They all are! Another shows up, whips off her black scarf and skirt and starts using her cell phone. Another plugs in earphones. Eventually there are four sitting there on the ground in front of the door talking, checking their phones and fixing their hair. They were all quickly back into normal outfits. All of them walked away and all of them had scarves over their head ala Muslim tradition. One left with a man and they were arguing.

What a revelation! Debb and I both looked at each other and said: That was their pimp! "All the world's a stage..."

Yesterday while coming back from St Marks, we happened upon a policeman. Tall, Debb thought 6'3", and slender in a beautifully cut uniform. He was Italian gorgeous. His insignias were on the tops of his shoulders and about that large. He was probably in his late 40s or early 50s. He was just walking along near us, tall and erect when he noticed a "beggar woman" going down a street she shouldn't. He said something to her in a stern authoritative voice and she immediately u-turned and scooted along. He watched her for a moment then turned and strolled back the way we had come.

After dinner there was more walking. We managed to get turned around and took a bit longer to get back to Piazzale Roma, so the bus ride was a welcome break. We are now in for the night.

Tomorrow instead of walk, walk, walk it will be boat, boat, boat.

Scenes from Murano

Scenes from Burano

-- Your correspondents

Old 02-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #7
zadok
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Looking good. Take it easy on the coffee!

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbu...4275.html?sl=z
zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #8
pckopp OP
Aged Adventurer

May 5, 2014 - Venice, Day Two

We played serious tourist today. A lot less walking and a lot more riding the boats. We certainly got our money's worth. It can't be overstressed; buy a long-term ferry ticket as soon as you arrive. Everywhere you want to go you can take a boat and then walk around to your heart's content.

Another thing we didn't realize was that you can buy almost any bus ticket as a round trip. No point standing in the ticket line any more than you have to.

We started a bit later today than before and stayed out to watch the sunset and catch some of the magic hour light for some photos. We'll see how we did.

One of my friends related his experience here about 10 years ago. Making dinner out of lots of different tapas plates and a glass of wine at a number of little bars. He estimated each tapas and glass of wine was about $2. Well, times have changed. Ten years ago a Euro could be had for $0.95. Today it is $1.45. Tapas plates averaged E1.80 - E2.75. A glass of wine is typically E3.00.

When you realize that every thing you see, eat, or drink has been hauled out there by boat and then handled by at least 3 or 4 people to get it from the dock to your plate, I am amazed it is as cheap as it is. We saw lots of goods being unloaded today. A boatman, two or three haulers and then the folks in the trattoria to cook and serve. I can't imagine organizing a serious construction operation and there are lots of them going on all over. Not far from St Mark's they were replacing some gas lines. Just getting the big stone pavers up is a major operation. The hodge podge of pipes and "stuff" under the dirt is quite something. Every construction site is an archeology dig!

So when you come to Venice, pack light! You will be dragging your stuff a long way and it ain't flat!

Tomorrow we will follow the Adriatic coast east and south. The weather forecast is perfect. Stay tuned.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:16 AM   #9
pckopp OP
Aged Adventurer

Part Two - The Balkans

May 6, 2014 – Umag, Croatia

On this side of the harbor are mostly working boats. On the far side are the toys. In between, a little bit of everything. Mark Alpen could find work here instantly. At 6PM as I write this it seems to be clouding up a bit. It is cooler now than when we arrived at 3:30.

-- Vintage tour boats in Umag, Croatia

We left Venice at the crack of 9:30 this morning and followed SS14 all the way to Trieste. We took at short break in Portogruaro where two cappuccini and two cookies was 4 Euros. It is good to have prices back to normal.

The land was very flat and agricultural until we got near Malfalcone. Fine looking farm land. Riding along the coast into Trieste was very scenic. But the best riding was out of Trieste into Slovenia for a few minutes and then into Croatia. Great pavement and there are hills and curves and everything a motorcyclist desires. This was the first time we really got to tilt the horizon in a few days and it was fine.

We both commented on how red the dirt is in this area. Bright red piles all along the construction areas.

My GPS did pretty well today. I have it avoiding toll roads so every now and then it works pretty hard to get me somewhere without it costing anything. This afternoon was one of those times. We rode about 20 miles to avoid a 3 mile stretch of toll road. But I don't know if there actually was a toll because we were forced to get on the "toll road" after the GPS wanted me to go down a one-way road the wrong way. The only way around was the freeway and there was not a toll booth in sight. Just before that we came to a Slovenia border check and they stamped our books with hardly a glance. We spent more time at the border station than in the rest of the country!

I hope Debb's GPS survives. It died in the deluge the other day. When we put it back on the bike this morning, it was really fogged up inside. Well, it used to be waterproof. I may be to blame since I took it apart earlier this year to fix something. I tried to be very careful with the seals but I may have messed up. Debb had some of those moisture absorbent packages so she put them and the GPS in a Ziploc bag for the night. The GPS still works but the screen shows a lot of moisture.

A couple of parting notes about Venice. I think I heard Madonna's 'Like A Virgin' three or four times a day. We decided it must be the Venice theme song. If I ever return, I will bring a small handheld GPS. There are just too many alleys and bridges to get lost in! And I wish, with all the old buildings and amazing history in a place like this, that there could be some areas off limits to street vendors. There must be tens of thousands of places to buy anything and everything you could possibly want. Do they really think having the plazas covered in imitation purses and stupid plastic toys adds to the experience? I think the reason Venice is sinking is the weight of the money left there by the visitors. Anyway, I wish they would back off a bit.

-- A Slovenian vineyard overlooking Trieste

-- Our zimmer in Umag

-- I have no idea

-- On the waterfront

-- The Umag graphics are very well done

Attached Files
File Type: gpx May 6.gpx (249.3 KB, 19 views)

pckopp screwed with this post 02-11-2015 at 09:29 AM Reason: added gpx file
pckopp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:56 AM   #10
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by pckopp View Post

-- Reason #1 never to eat or drink on St Mark's Square
Holy Crap!

And I thought that Switzerland was expensive.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:38 AM   #11
pckopp OP
Aged Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Holy Crap!

And I thought that Switzerland was expensive.
I thought of it not as expensive coffee but as rent for a table and chairs and coffee on the square.

The rest of Venice was only expensive, not Holy Crap!
Old 02-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #12
pckopp OP
Aged Adventurer

May 7, 2014 - Dramalj, Croatia

This last 24 hours has been about the food. Perfectly good food, very nice food, and really excellent food. And some nice roads, too.

-- Limski Zaljev

Dinner last night was over on the back side of Umag. Several very nice restaurants along the water, all empty. This is the slow season. I might call it the stop season. We picked one and enjoyed scallops. I ordered Queen scallops and Debb the regular ones. Mine were excellent and Debb's were very nice but the best part was the sauce they were both served in. Very rich and tasty. We enjoyed every drop of it.

They also served us local Istria olive oil. A very distinctive taste and it looks a bit lighter and more yellow to my very unpractised eye. Good stuff.

Yesterday when we arrived, Debb reminded me she had not yet been served lunch so that was our first order of business. We walked up the waterfront and picked the first place that looked busy. Our waitress spoke just enough English to make ordering easy. She kept referring to Debb as lady. "Thank you, Lady." "You enjoy now, Lady." We ordered sausages of a beef and pork mixture served with french fries. Reminded me a little of kebab meat. Very good when hot, only so-so when they have cooled. Debb ordered a mixed seafood plate that was excellent.

Our bill was 76.00. Instant panic - until I realized the bill was in the local currency, the Kuna. 5.22 Kuna to the dollar, so lunch was within reason. Two beers and a dessert included.

I bought gas today off the beaten path. Before I started filling the tanks I walked over to the shack and asked if I could use my credit card. He said, "As long as you have some money in the bank it shouldn't be a problem." Yes, they take credit cards. He has a bike but his dream is to come to America, buy a HD Wide Glide and ride Route 66. But he is building a house just now, so not right away. A fun character.

Our first stop after gas was the Limski Zaljev. A long fiord that extends 7 or 8 miles inland from the Adriatic. We stopped for coffee and noticed several posters from movies that have been made there, including two or three swashbucklers from the 50s. Richard Widmark was in one of them. We had coffee in a huge place that would seat 200 comfortably. There were 5 of us. Definitely, the off season.

-- A lovely fiord that needs an overlook

Our next stop was Pula/Pola, which is how it is listed on every sign. Debb's sister's name is Pola so we stopped to look around and see if we could find a t-shirt with Pola on it. No joy.

We parked at the end of a long line of scooters. A nice young lady in uniform with a bright vest walked over and told us we would have to move. Just then a well-dressed man came up to us and said "I'm a biker, no problem." He said to go to the next light where there was lots of parking for bikes and scooters. Apparently, the young lady didn't know about that spot and they got in a bit of an argument about it. While we were getting back on the bikes and waited for traffic, she walked down to where he indicated and directed us around the corner to lots of parking. By the time we got off the bikes and un-geared, she was back to her original corner. I got a picture of her with Debb. She was happy we weren't upset. She's a cutey.

-- Debb and Officer Friendly

One thing we like here in Croatia; the coffee drinks are hot and strong. I have had a couple espressos after lunch or dinner and boy do I get a buzz. I need just a bit of sugar with it. I'm turning into a native!

Lunch was the biggest Calzone I have ever seen. Easily 15" across. It was all I could do to eat half. Debb got an omelet, also good.

-- The largest calzone in captivity

After lunch we followed the coastline to Opatija. A very fun road that I'm sure would earn SSJoanne and Catfish's Seal of Approval. There were some very dramatic coastlines, but never a place to turn out. I did manage a couple of pictures.

-- On the coast northeast of Pula/Pola

Our stop tonight is the Hotel Vali. If you find yourself here in the off-season by all means get a room. Easily the best hotel we've stayed at in Europe. (BTW, if you're not using booking.com you are doing it wrong.) Anyway, this room is excellent, the wifi is fast and the room is high tech. Wave the room key in front of the reader panel and the door clicks open. The AC won't come on if a window or door is open. One odd touch; there are two chairs with padded backs. The inside of the room door is also padded to match. Odd. A great bathroom, but no bidets in Croatia, so far.

We had dinner here at the hotel. All ala-carte, but we shared a sampling and it was very nice food. There was a big table full of Russians nearby. One man, 40 something and 9 women that I would say vary from 20 something to 60 something, plus two 9 year old girls. He talked the most but they were all loud. And they had to discuss everything they ordered in detail. Everythng. In. Detail.

Dubrovnik is our goal tomorrow.

Attached Files
File Type: gpx May 7.gpx (275.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #13
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,855
Enjoying your detailed report and pics Thanks for taking us along.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #14
pckopp OP
Aged Adventurer

May 9, 2014 - Dubrovnik, Croatia

What a lovely town! Forty thousand folks all hanging on to the hillsides above the sea. Very modern, very clean, and everyone speaks English. Of course, the place is full of folks from England. A lot of this town was damaged heavily in 1991, so much is new. Money is buyer's choice here; Kuna or Euro both work everywhere.

-- Sailing on the Adriatic Sea

The ride here yesterday was a good one. Nice to have the clock and turn signals working again. It was just a fuse. We took the coastal road to Senj, then turned inland and rode over the mountain to the toll road. A very fine and twisty mountain road that took us up to 2300 feet. The road was very wet so our lap times were embarrassing, but we had fun.

The toll road follows a valley south between two rocky ridges. The whole country is rocky and it very much reminds me of Southern California between Temecula and Escondido. I don't think you could find a bucketful of topsoil in an acre but I think you could break your ankle looking for it. This is a hard country. There isn't even sand on the beach, just smaller rocks. Avocados might do well here.

Near the southern end of the toll road it makes a big sweeping turn toward the ocean and goes through the mountain in a 5600m long tunnel. Cool and damp in the mountains, hot and breezy near the coast. Then it was an adventurous ride down the two lane road to Dubrovnik. Truckers are truckers everywhere. Very scenic along the coast.

A short stretch of our ride was in Bosna i Hercegovina (BiH from now on). The passport guys didn't even look at us, just waved us through.

Today we explored Grad, the old fortress town at the edge of the sea. Think Venice in the minor leagues. No canals but lots of steps up and down the hillsides. We stopped for a refreshment and I ordered orange juice and Debb an iced coffee. I got the best orange juice ever! Debb's coffee was an iced mocha with whip cream and chocolate sauce. Sugar overload!

We talked to a young couple from Leeds, Debb chatted with two ladies from Clearwater, FL and we had dinner tonight with 3 couples from England and three folks from Upsala, Sweden.

I wore a short-sleeved shirt this morning on the bike, It was probably 80 degrees here today. Even this evening it was warm enough for just a shirt riding back to our room.

We decided to forego hotels for a bit. We are staying in a house today and have booked an apartment for tomorrow. Wonderfully inexpensive.

We are headed south again tomorrow. Naval museums and monasteries. Stay tuned.

-- Lots of steps in the old city of Dubrovnik

-- Wanda, your restaurant is ready

-- Looking up in the old city

-- Debb and the ladies from Clearwater, FL

-- Tourist girl with scarf and cell phone

Attached Files
File Type: gpx May 8.gpx (357.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-07-2015, 01:18 PM   #15
pckopp OP
Aged Adventurer

May 10, 2014 – Kotor, Montenegro

The roads we were on today were a delight. The first 15 minutes out of Dubrovnik are right on the side of the hill and offer some fantastic views of the city and the offshore islands. They need more turn-offs but they would have to spend millions to build them on that hillside.

-- Looking down on the old city Grad from the highway

We went through a customs checkpoint leaving Croatia. It was the first that asked us for our bike paperwork and insurance. Our papers were in order. We were waiting in line with two Italian fellows on GS bikes. No English for them and very little Italian for us but they gave us a thumbs-up “for America!” and rolled on. Washington plates get some unusual reactions sometimes.

A mile or so later we arrived at the Montenegro checkpoint. It took us nearly 45 minutes to get to the officer and then we had to go across the parking lot to buy insurance since ours didn’t cover this country. Ten Euros each for 15 days.

The real fun on the road today was in Montenegro. This is a small country of only 620K population with a GDP that is probably not equal to Apple’s on a good weekend. Definitely a more third world look to the place. More dirt and sand in the gutters, not much in the way of sidewalks, that sort of thing.

We took the ferry across the narrows and then rode around the north side of the land to Kotor. That road from the ferry is barely one lane wide in most places and oncoming traffic was tight. We rode so close past people’s front doors I could have knocked. On the other side were the docks. Not much margin for error.

But as scenic a ride as you could hope for. The villages across the water at the base of the huge stone mountains were just lovely. We are looking forward to more of those in the coming days.

There is a well-regarded maritime museum here in the old town so that is on our list.

If you point Google Maps at Kotor and zoom in a bit you will see lots of switchback roads out of here. Those are also on our list.

We are staying in a small apartment for the next couple nights. It has a kitchen so we walked over to the grocery store and bought things for dinner and breakfast. Then across the street to the bakery for warm bread and breakfast pastry. Four or five meals for the price of one in a restaurant. Food is quite inexpensive here.

There is an excellent dock here and there are some fine boats tied up. A few with American registry. Not 1% fine but very nice indeed.

-- The old harbor at Dobrovnik

-- I don’t believe I have ever seen a Peugeot motorcycle

-- Life is always good on a ferry

-- The sizes and perspectives here are astounding

-- This ride was 2 Euros each

-- Part of the old city wall from our apartment

Attached Files
File Type: gpx May 10.gpx (111.2 KB, 26 views)