Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #196
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Oddometer: 313
Triumph Lada

Day 3

We reconnected the instrument panel wiring that was cut in the accident and installed the new instrument panel (secondhand off ebay). All the electrics were ready except for the headlight so without further ado we switched it on. No whirring noise like it used to make, no needle doing it's sweep. Oh shit. The indicator lights worked. Great. We couldn't start the engine because we still didn't have all the fluids in. Thinking it may be a problem with the CANbus we left it for the time being because I didn't have my computer with me to run DealerTool and check for faults.

The plan was to use a compressor but he couldn't fine one with enough pressure to pop it back out so he had to do it the manual way.

When that didn't work he used the physical approach

He tried banging it back into shape but he couldn't get it back to its original shape so he offered to take it to a mate who would cut the bottom out of it, bang it, then re-weld it back on. If all goes well and the bike starts I may upgrade to a safari tank when I get back to Australia so I didn't ask him to cut it - the less cutting and welding the better.

Fashioning a new accessory for the bike - the grill off a Lada. A very common car around Central Asia.

It was another stinking hot day, the hottest anyone could remember. The locals say it's normally 35 this time of year but today it was 45. While Sherzod went swimming Patty and I munched out on the biggest Samsa (spelt camca) we'd ever seen.

The fluids were put in and setup the handlebars.

We rivetted the mudguard back on because on one side all the bolts had broken the plastics

And fitted my new Lada grill and headlights, complete with Lada symbol The headlights still aren't wired. They cost $12 at the local bazaar. I didn't want to spend $350 on new Triumph lights in case the bike didn't start so I only bought the essentials.

Day 4

The tank needed some more adjustments. It had bent inwards and was brushing against the forks.

We wired up the headlights but couldn't get a high beam so after a process of elimination we rechecked the fuses and found two fried ones. We replaced them and whooshka we had an instrument panel and headlights I was expecting the instrument panel to be a reset or something in the ECU but nothing was necessary, it's all plug and play. It was showing 8971 miles from the previous owner.

A quick check with DealterTool showed no faults

Things are looking good. Electrics are ok the only thing that can stop us now is if the engine took some damage in the fall.

The moment of truth.....

...and we have lift-off!!! It started first time

As the engine warmed up smoke started coming from around the engine and exhaust as the oil from the accident burned away. The bike was slightly wet where I washed some spilt brake fluid from the exhaust (I replaced the fluids) and in that spot Patty picked up some bubbles coming from the exhaust sleeve near the rear brake pedal. Some tightening fixed that problem.

I did one more check for faults before I took it apart for a service. I lubed the stepper motor and checked the throttle balance and did one final check for faults. None (other than the airbox sensor and inlet manifold sensors because I had them disconnected for the service).

One happy Triumph Lada owner (with a mop of hair).

I took it for a quick spin up the lane and it didn't feel like my bike. That's to be expected though - I've been riding it daily for the past 2 and a bit months so was used to a certain feel. With gear levers and other assorted adjustments it felt different, but not in a dangerous way.

I actually prefer it without the screen, but I could either leave it off and forever have to find a place for it on the bike or just stick it where it belongs.

Notice the 'tails' on the sheep in the background. They're bred like that because it's nice and fatty apparently. We've had it in our soup and it tastes amazing. Forget that - the bikes what matters

Smoke was still coming off it as the oil burned away so I took it for a wash. It's like a new bike

We used every single part that was sent to us by Triumph except the water pump pipe. Kudos to Jack Lilley for getting the right parts to us.

The engine bars haven't been refitted yet because they need some serious bending to get back in shape so we're taking them to a guy who will heat them and bend them back. That's today's job....and test riding of course

Tomorrow we plan to leave and head towards Karakol north west Kyrgyzstan. Our Kazakhstan visa expires 14 August and we'll need every single one of those days to get out. The Kazakh roads are notoriously shit so that will shake the bike down.

GuiltyParty screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 12:55 AM Reason: bred, not bread
GuiltyParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #197
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,012

So awesome!
What a story and you are telling it wonderfully.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #198
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
woo hoo! great news, and great job!!

watch out with that heat, sounds like you might have been seriously dehydrated--take care of yourself!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #199
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,063
Woh, crazy awesome back on the road. Congrats
Old 08-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #200
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,080
Good work and news

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #201
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 391
Great repair work and an awesome story to go with it!

Pleased to hear that the Tiger fired up okay.

All the best for the rest of your journey.

Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #202
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Thumb

Holy $h!+ !!!! Good for you guys. Talk about the proverbial rise of the Phoenix! If you ever get stateside or I ever get to Oz, Im buying you guys some serious amounts of alcohol

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #203
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,551
Craig!!

Just read through this this morning to check where you are to find an unusual update waiting for me....sorry about the accident and your delays!!

If you're going to do it...do it in style

I'm glad you're both OK and everything is on the mend. Safe onward travels.

Oh..and get your wool clipped young man...

Best of luck for continued travels....

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #204
cold comfort
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Stunning job under trying conditions. Love the Mad Max version created. Bloody awesome effort there. All the best for the next stage of the journey.
cold comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #205
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
Soldier on mate! I don't know how you can do everything you are doing all at once... worrying about the bike, getting the bike sorted, taking photo's and then putting it all on here so we can read about it in the luxury of our homes. AWESOME! <<<< Those smilies should be clapping...
A BIG +1 here. Great stuff Craig.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #206
Piopio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I just read the whole story... Must be so weird to be in such a situation, but people are so friendly and your positive attitude has done the entire thing !

Glad that you are safe and that you've found in yourselves the appropriate ressources to do it the good way !

Enjoy this beautiful intrenational bike !

Piopio screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 06:40 AM
Piopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #207
TarmacSurfer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Glad to hear the bike is slowly taking "form"!
Old 08-02-2013, 05:13 AM   #208
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,553
Bike looks sick! Glad you will be back on the road soon!

It wants a high fender! It wants a high fender bad!
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #209
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 763
Love it!! Way to turn your rather "mild" adventure into one worth remembering

Good luck on the rest of the trip.

Buy my Jetta TDI
Buy my jacket
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #210
tart
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post

So awesome!
What a story and you are telling it wonderfully.
+1 Well done, looking at the incident photos I didn't think you would stand a chance of repairing it.
tart is offline   Reply With Quote