what a adventure
glad you both are ok, and good work at the bike looks great
all the best for your trip
Twinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #227
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,186
Craig and Patty - I'm a bit out of touch and finally had a catch-up on your ride report...

Firstly... so glad you two are alive and well without injury.

Heartbreaking to see your poor bike in that state but good on you both for persevering and building it back up. Definitely now a one-off Tiger, the twin lamps suit it.

Be good, looking forward to reading more as your journey progresses.

George

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #228
TarmacSurfer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Simply amazing!:
Old 08-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #229
OB1UK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I'm looking forward to the book... and then the film!
OB1UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #230
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,709
Good stuff mate, I didn't think you were going to bring it back from that prang.
It's been a terrific read so far.
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:38 AM   #231
Crouching Tiger
Year of the Dragon

Oddometer: 5
Thumb

That's the way, keep the dream alive. Never throw in the towel.
Best wishes to you both
Crouching Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #232
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,259
Just started reading this report, great effort to get back on the road, hope you have safe travels here on in! Enjoy.

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #233
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,875
good stuff! been reading a page a day and now im out of pages!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #234
barneyrubble
Just tired

Oddometer: 451
An amazing adventure.
Keep it going

Old 08-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #235
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Oddometer: 317
Back on the road

We followed Sherzod to one of his mates that had an oxy so he could heat the crash bars and bend them back into shape.

This is the first time I've seen metal being worked and found it really interesting.

One of the nice things about Osh and a lot of other towns and cities in Central Asia is they have channels of water running through the cities from the mountains. Kids are always playing and swimming in them.

It took quite a bit of bending, reheating, more bending before the bolt holes lined up again. They had a bit of trouble bending the bottom mount back in so they tried forcing it - you can see he has his leg up against the bike forcing it - until I told them not to force it because it will thread the mounts in an off, so he heated it some more.

This made me a little nervous. A dented fuel tank next to a naked flame

Job done. Now it looks like a Tiger (or Liger ) Whack on some paint and it's like new

With heavy helmets and unfamiliar squeeks from the bike we were ready to hit the road again. Without the help of the guys at MuzToo it wouldn't have happened so I owe them a massive thanks

We wanted to do some exploring of the eastern part of Kyrgyzstan so headed towards Kazarman. We started off following a road that on the map looked like one of two roads that went there but after speaking to a couple of locals ruled out the track we were on so we had to do a little backtracking but it didn't bother us, we were just happy to be on the bike again.

On the gravel the bike felt as it always did - FUN

On the right road we started playing tag with three people in a ute - we would overtake them then stop for a photo and then they would overtake etc etc. The second time this happened a lady jumped out and was fascinated with Patty and wanted a photo.

We stopped to camp by the river and they stopped to give us their email. We didn't end up camping there though because it looked as though the locals used the spot as an abbatoir.

Some photos along the way

The top of the pass 2964m.

In Tajikistan the radiator was making gurgling noises at altitude as though it was getting too hot and it wasn't starting properly. There was no gurgling this time around, which probably means it had some air in it last time or it was fooked. It was still using radiator fluid though and I've now come to accept this is the way the bike is and to carry extra fluid. The bike was starting and idling properly now the stepper motor and throttle bodies were serviced.

The fourth time we stopped the people also stopped and jumped out of their car for more photos of Patty.

Seeing that we didn't camp at the last spot they invited us back to their yurta, way over in the distance at 2566 metres.

We sat on the floor of her yurta as she fed us all sorts of fresh dairy products including the dreaded kamoos (horse milk) that we always seem get offered and tastes like piss. We were a little cheeky, as she poured us the kamoos and left the yurta to find more food we would pour the horse piss back into the bucket it came from. We tried stomaching it but it's not for us.

The yurts are moved to the alpine areas in the summer and disassembled during the winter, when snow levels reach between 5-8 metres.

Sitting in a circle in a yurta breaking bread with locals was a big 'must do' on this trip and I'm glad it happened competely by random and not as some organised event and had to pay. Using our very poor russian and hand gestures we had a great night.

Outside the winds were howling and it was cold and there was no way we could setup a tent without being blown off the mountain. We slept on the floor next to the grandma. It was warm and secure despite the howling winds outside.

The next morning while the grandma milked the cows I wandered around and got some snaps of the sunrise.

Our yurta is on the right, food tent next to it and the neighbours on the left.

The neighbours

Fresh milk bubbling away

Inside the yurta with the bare essentials. They have a gas cooker, a battery operated LED light, radio on the wall and blankets and food around the perimiter.

Breakfast of fresh butter, cream, milk and lollies.

Our host family

The road to Kazarman were just what the bike needed for it's intro ride. Nice flowing roads without potholes. Awesome riding.

Past Kazarman on the road towards Naryn the roads became loose gravel with sections of corrugations - small ruts that look like excavator tracks. I'd never heard of a road described as 'corrugations' before this trip. It's the bane of 4wd's by the sound of it because it shakes the shit out of them especially in Mongolia and it makes grown men cry. For me it was a good way of testing the weld so bring it on!

The egyptian sphynx in Kyrgyzstan?

Awesome roads.

We climbed another pass to 2800 metres up some loose gravel switchbacks and I could tell the bike would be hot so I let it cool a little at the top. The fluid level had dropped since last I checked it so I was keeping a close eye on it.

Unfortunately we went down these switchbacks and not up, looks like fun.

We were aiming for Song-Kul at 3069 metres but after the winds from the night before decided to camp before we reached the top of the pass.

Even though it's shit the accident happened and I couldn't do Road of Bones and BAM in a way it has been a blessing because it means we have more time up our sleeve and can take our time more now. We're having shorter days on the bike and more time around camp. The pressure is off a bit so we can enjoy it more, although we still need to be mindful of the winter.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #236
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
Bugger it! That's no good at all...
We tought about the options but you know what I've been out of Oz for 4 years and I'm actually bloody freakin' excited about riding in Oz again. I don't know where the shipping container lands yet but I'm hoping it's Darwin so I can do something in the top end across to Perth then attempt a desert crossing or something.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #237
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Glad you are back on the road and the bikes going great. Awesome job you did.
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #238
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,091
Good to see you back on the road! And see the story continue...

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:55 AM   #239
TarmacSurfer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Wow, the moto is back on the road!! Excellent.

Let the Epic trip continue...
Old 08-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #240
stamp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Im getting a bit emotional about all this, i dont no if its the story, the amazing pictures or the love songs we have on in our workshop

keep up the good work
stamp is offline   Reply With Quote