Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #316
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
shell diesel oil-most has the approval by the japanese motorcycle body.
coded jaso ma
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #317
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,096
Adventure in the truest sence

Just found this report and caught up.
Most inspiring. You are a courageous duo.
Your persistence is exemplary.
&
Old 08-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #318
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post

Just found this report and caught up.
Most inspiring. You are a courageous duo.
Your persistence is exemplary.
&
+1 on that!

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #319
RiderRick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Excellent!

Great to hear you will be rolling soon,Thank you for telling us about your amazing adventures.
RiderRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #320
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Read through the entire thread today

Bloody Hell! Do you two have a golden Horshoe stashed in your saddle bags or what....but seriously, you two are the epitome of Adventure travlers and an example to us all. Im routing for you guys and your bike too! What a trooper!!

Best of luck with the rest of the trip. I'll definitely be with you guys in spirit
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #321
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Wow, great to hear about your progress. Really good to hear that triumph Moscow hooked you up!

Also one linguistic note: "master" is Russian for "mechanic" (not that you'll need that word in future...). Actually it is pronounced more like "mahster".
Old 08-24-2013, 04:40 AM   #322
superdave156
n00b

Oddometer: 1
GPS tracking

Great road report and skill and tenacity in getting over these hurdles. Well done both of you! I have a Tiger 800 so it is a bit disappointing that you have had these overheating and waterlogging problems...
If either of you have a smartphone you can install bubblerGPS and link it to www.spotwalla.com so all of us reading your report can actually see where you are on the map. It works really well. See mine as an example:
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...d52028342df1f3
Drop down the history and change it to 6 months, say, press "Go" and you can see where I've been...
superdave156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #323
Carluset
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Oh! Fantastic RR! You both are my idol! Never give up!

Thanks for posting!
Carluset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #324
Moonsorrow
Jesus

Oddometer: 31
Since you're not posting I presume that you're too busy riding now ?

Good luck and thanks a lot for taking us along!!!
Moonsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #325
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsorrow View Post
since you're not posting i presume that you're too busy riding now ?

Good luck and thanks a lot for taking us along!!!
+1
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #326
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 300
Wooo hooo!!

Just AWESOME! Your RR maybe the new gold standard for ADV riding. Brilliant that you got the bike back up and running. Love all the dirt your guys are doing as well. Love it and look forward to a whole lot more.
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #327
DANNOj
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonsorrow View Post
Since you're not posting I presume that you're too busy riding now ?
Yep they are presently in Mongolia, and all going well

DANNOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #328
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Oddometer: 313
Mongolia here we come

I took a day trip up to Novosibirsk (250km north of Barnaul) to pick up a new tyre that I ordered from Moscow. My K60 has done over 12,000 miles and could have done another couple of thousand but to tackle the mud in Mongolia I wanted something with a little more meat. The only tyres he had were a Karoo, the TKC or another K60. I’m not a fan of the K60 in the mud so the TKC won.

Ready for battle

Just outside Barnaul a truck lay on its side. The ride up to Novosibirsk is all alpine woodland and as I rode I pictured bears lurking among the trees. Oncoming drivers didn’t seem to care I was in the same lane they were using to overtake so more often than not I found myself riding on the very edge of the pavement as they sped towards me at 100km/h. Riding through Novosibirsk I counted five rear end accidents during peak hour.

We said our goodbyes to the guys at the service centre where our bike has been sitting the past couple of weeks.

And one last meal of lugman of course. It's an Uzbek dish that we only discovered in Kazakhstan and when in doubt about what's on the menu because we can't read it we ask for lugman. 9 times out of 10 they have it and it's delicious. The lugman with dumplings is in the background, shishlek in the foreground.

60km out of Barnaul a light rain started and to ourselves we were thinking ‘oh no, it’s started, we have another 1000km’s of rain’ but by the time we hit the tourist spots in the Altai the rain had stopped and the sun was shining. We stopped at a market to pick up some supplies and a guy got a couple of photos then wandered off, only to come back 5 minutes later with a couple of hats that he wanted Patty to wear. I’m not sure what the go is with the hats. Does he think Aussies wear these or something? Now that I look at the photo I guess his one does look a bit Crocodile Dundee. He then brought out a bottle of vodka and we thought he wanted us to drink with him but it was a gift, distilled locally. That will do us nicely at camp

A coulourful Altai town.

Riding through the Altai is a real peaceful experience and mostly follows a running river or stream. I can imagine this place being very cold during the winter but for us it was only slightly chilly.

I wanted a photo of these guys giving a wave or something but instead they stopped and asked for money for vodka. They weren't pushy about it though and moved on when we said no.

Katun suspension bridge.

Another type of suspension bridge over Katun River, the scary type. After the couple of experiences we’ve had Patty wasn’t game to cross it.

Incredibly it says it holds 7 tonne. You wouldn't see me on the same bridge with a 7 tonne truck crossing it

We heard the Mongolian border closed at 3 and it was already 4 so we decided to look for a spot to camp about 100k’s from the border and cross first thing after brekkie. As it started to rain we pulled into a field that had been allocated as a camping ground and sat down at a bench to escape the worst of the rain. Soon after a couple of guys wandered over and grabbed some firewood from nearby the bike and asked if we wanted to join them for food. Not really in the mood to entertain or stand in the rain we said no, but they persisted and eventually we gave in and joined them for shishlek.

The two guys were brothers but one was living in Kazakhstan and the other in Russia. After we eaten our fair share and warmed the insides with some chai they started dropping hints they wanted family time but we didn’t understand what they were saying, but eventually we understood “motorcycle bye bye” so awkwardly we said our goodbyes and took off.

It was getting close to dark and Patty and I just couldn’t agree on a camp site. There was something or other wrong with the sites – they were infested with mozzies, had loud drunks around or were too exposed to the winds. The rubbish is so disappointing to see in such a beautiful place, or anywhere for that matter.

Before we knew it we were at the closed Russian border along with two Austrians in a campervan. It was going on dark and there was nothing but open desert the past 100km’s so we decided to camp it out on the border, something we had never ever envisioned ourselves doing. We were really cranky at each other for having found ourselves in this situation. We passed through the beautiful Altai and the only spot we could find was beside a shithouse at the border. Between the dunny door banging in the wind, the smell of shit in the air and the risk of theft we got no sleep that night.

We were up at the crack dawn to get the tent down, grab a coffee and cross into Mongolia. Exiting Russia took an hour and was straightforward. The ride to the Mongolian border is about 15km from the Russian border with a Russian checkpoint half-way. Until that point the road is nice and sealed pavement, after that and on the Mongolian side the roads are dirt. As we entered the Mongolian border a lady in a white quarantine outfit emerged from a hut and asked us to drive through a shallow puddle and pay the equivalent of a £1– that was the quarantine. It was a joke. It would have wet the bottom of my tyre. In various regions around Mongolia they’ve had an outbreak of foot and mouth disease.

The Mongolian side took an hour to cross, mostly because we stood around while they joked with each other and pretended not to see us. Eventually we were through and the open plains of Mongola lay out before us.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #329
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,190

Awesome!!

Jeff G.
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:47 AM   #330
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Talking