Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #346
DonVulpes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
You are both a great inspiration to anyone thinking of doing their own trip.

I thought I suffered, riding around Eastern Europe in 40 degree heat on the Liger's bigger cousin this summer, but that pales against what you guys are doing.

You seem like a perfect match for each other and when 90% would have thrown in the towel, you pushed on, helping each other all the way.

Easily one of the best RR on here
Old 09-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #347
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVulpes View Post

I thought I suffered, riding around Eastern Europe in 40 degree heat on the Liger's bigger cousin this summer, but that pales against what you guys are doing.

You seem like a perfect match for each other and when 90% would have thrown in the towel, you pushed on, helping each other all the way.

And definitely one of the courageous.

As for that last stretch of corrugations, were the surfaces on the side even worse to ride? I thought, it's Mongolia, who needs a road?

Definitely hope you will have some heartwarming, decent interaction with locals.
You do deserve it not to leave without some good memories of that kind too.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #348
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVulpes View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
And definitely one of the courageous.

As for that last stretch of corrugations, were the surfaces on the side even worse to ride? I thought, it's Mongolia, who needs a road?

Definitely hope you will have some heartwarming, decent interaction with locals.
You do deserve it not to leave without some good memories of that kind too.
Cheers guys for the compliments, glad you're liking the report. Patty's the tough courageous one in all this. It probably hasn't come across in the report but for anyone that know's her she's a girls girl and loves all things girly. She brought a hair straightener and blow dryer along I kid you not. For her to be doing this, falling in the mud, swatting insects, hearing wolves at night (more about that later) and doing all this stuff way outside her comfort zone, that's courageous.

In this case riding the offroad used too much fuel so we just rode out the corrugations. After denting the tank in the accident I can only get 230km before the light comes on. It's knocked about 2.5 litres off my fuel capacity.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #349
freefall109
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Guiltyparty,

I am guessing you have driven your T800 XC further offroad and into the hinterlands than 99.9% of owners. Kudos, brother! Interested to hear your opinion, if you had it to do over again...would you still choose the same bike?

Cheers,
Jason
Old 09-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #350
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall109 View Post
Guiltyparty,

I am guessing you have driven your T800 XC further offroad and into the hinterlands than 99.9% of owners. Kudos, brother! Interested to hear your opinion, if you had it to do over again...would you still choose the same bike?

Cheers,
Jason
Of course he would. It's the best 4x4 by far.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #351
bigmankz
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Very interesting report. I started to read this report to learn on how tiger behaves on long trip like this as I recently purchased this bike in preparation for some long trips. After some time I was amazed on how you guys kept the good spirits after all that you have been through. Very well done and inspiring as well. If you ever come to Almaty or Kazakhstan again I will be happy to ride with you or be of any assistance.
bigmankz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #352
moto74
Displaced

Oddometer: 134
Just caught up with this. Amazing recovery from that big drop you took. Not many would have regrouped and carried on, 2-up to boot. You guys really are out there and doing it.
moto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #353
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Man...Mongolia sounds challenging.... in more ways than one! Good on you guys for keeping a cool head with the crazy ass locals. I dare say, you are better folk than I in that regard. Im not sure I would have been able to keep it cool if Mr. Shovels came at me swinging....but I guess it is a completely different matter when you are actually there and dealing with it in real time.

Anyway...here's to not running into any more carzy douchebags!

Keep up the great writing
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #354
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Guiltyparty,

Cheers,
Jason
Absolutely, whether I did the trip solo or two-up. There isn't any other bike I want to ride that can be thrown around in the dirt with luggage strapped to the back. I prefer the dirt and for me to go to the trouble and expense to export it to Australia it needs to tick all the right boxes when it comes to the dirt.

On a trip like this simpler is better, no arguing with that. At times like when the instrument panel got wet and the radiator fluids were low from overheating at altitude I found myself wishing for an air cooled bike with less electrics but that's something I've come to learn and accept. For the radiator I carry distilled water. The stepper motor bothers me. I know people say it's a maintenance thing and provided it's lubed at service intervals should be fine. That works if you're riding a mixture of street, mud and dust during those service intervals but on a trip like this it becomes a problem. In Morocco and Mongolia there are too many km's with dust and it did play up. Next service I'll play around with it and try rigging up some sort of cover for it.

The instrument panel is a major downfall in my opinion but I guess that's the way modern bikes are designed now. I heard back from Triumph and they said the panel is weatherproofed but not waterproofed, it's not intended to be submerged. That sucks balls on an adventure bike. I've siliconed all the gaps around the complete exterior of my new panel to stop any water getting in.

All bikes have their setbacks and the tiger has its own but despite all that I just think it's a really fun bike to ride that's more than capable in the dirt but can still cruise on those long stretches of slab without revving the crap out of it. Plus it ran all grades of fuel that I threw at it without any problems. Not all travellers I've met could say that.

As a stock bike with just the basic protection added like crash bars and bash plate it's ready for a trip like this straight off the showroom floor.

For a pillion, Patty finds it really comfortable and definitely suited to long trips...on and offroad.

You probably didn't want the long winded response but sitting around camp I have too much time on my hands
Old 09-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #355
freefall109
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post
Absolutely, whether I did the trip solo or two-up. There isn't any other bike I want to ride that can be thrown around in the dirt with luggage strapped to the back. I prefer the dirt and for me to go to the trouble and expense to export it to Australia it needs to tick all the right boxes when it comes to the dirt.

On a trip like this simpler is better, no arguing with that. At times like when the instrument panel got wet and the radiator fluids were low from overheating at altitude I found myself wishing for an air cooled bike with less electrics but that's something I've come to learn and accept. For the radiator I carry distilled water. The stepper motor bothers me. I know people say it's a maintenance thing and provided it's lubed at service intervals should be fine. That works if you're riding a mixture of street, mud and dust during those service intervals but on a trip like this it becomes a problem. In Morocco and Mongolia there are too many km's with dust and it did play up. Next service I'll play around with it and try rigging up some sort of cover for it.

The instrument panel is a major downfall in my opinion but I guess that's the way modern bikes are designed now. I heard back from Triumph and they said the panel is weatherproofed but not waterproofed, it's not intended to be submerged. That sucks balls on an adventure bike. I've siliconed all the gaps around the complete exterior of my new panel to stop any water getting in.

All bikes have their setbacks and the tiger has its own but despite all that I just think it's a really fun bike to ride that's more than capable in the dirt but can still cruise on those long stretches of slab without revving the crap out of it. Plus it ran all grades of fuel that I threw at it without any problems. Not all travellers I've met could say that.

As a stock bike with just the basic protection added like crash bars and bash plate it's ready for a trip like this straight off the showroom floor.

For a pillion, Patty finds it really comfortable and definitely suited to long trips...on and offroad.

You probably didn't want the long winded response but sitting around camp I have too much time on my hands

I prefer the thoughtful response personally! I know there are many Tiger owners wishing they were on this trip with you, myself included. Safe travels.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #356
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Wow

Amazing journey, I couldn't stop reading it! amazing man...absolutely amazing. I just don't understand where your sat phone and support vehicles were to help you out with parts?
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #357
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Glad you liked it No support vehicle...it's a Triumph not a BMW
Old 09-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #358
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post
No support vehicle...it's a Triumph not a BMW
Hahahahahahaha!
Old 09-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #359
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
I prefer the thoughtful response personally! I know there are many Tiger owners wishing they were on this trip with you, myself included. Safe travels.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Great response. Safe travels.

Jeff G.
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #360
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,541
Craig....

Good to check in and get your update.

We're getting orgainized here for another trip to Maroc to ride different pistes well south of Marrakech.

Your pictures of the long gravel roads have whet my appetite for sure so I can't wait to get back!

Still on the XTZ ..I've 20,000kms on it now and so far still pleased with it.

Keep at it and keep safe.

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote