drifter

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Fixed it for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNOj View Post
Hahahah my thoughts exactly!!

Ripper of a trip and report Craig and Patty. And as much as I'm also sad that its drawn to a close for you, I'm very much looking forward to some rides and camping back in Oz with you. I can't beleive its been four years!!

Cheers
Dan
bahahahaha love it! Ron Jeremy would be proud of this little slug. I might even keep it...and Patty loves it

Danno, my brother has the KLR in Kempsey and wants to get into some adventure riding so I reckon we need to do some exploring around the mid-north coast and tablelands when you move to Brizzy
Old 09-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #393
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkybar View Post
Hi GuiltyParty,

One of the best RR's ive read and through a country that I love. Let us know how you get on back in OZI. How much would I need for such a trip, ca ?
From the moment we left our front door to Irkutsk but excluding bike repairs we spent £6,500 for the two of us. Turkey we blew our budget by £300 because petrol was unexpectedly really expensive, the most expensive of all the countries we visited. Russia was slightly more expensive than we expected but the main reason we went over budget there was because of the hotel/sauna in Barnaul while we sorted out the instrument panel.

We stayed in a cheap hotel every 3 nights (it's a girl thing) and camped all other nights. In Western Europe we cooked our own meals but all through the 'stans we mostly ate out because it was cheap and food is part of the culture we were there to experience.

That also includes visa's for Mongolia, Turkey, Tajikistan & Uzebkistan which we picked up along the way.

It can be done cheaper with more camping. Doing something like this made me realise how possible and affordable it is and we'll aim to do something like this every 5 years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandesiro View Post
I enjoy your report so far.....Dont stop posting even as a backpacker!

Be well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
+1

Keep in touch
This backpacking is hard work. Carrying my own gear, walking, catching public transport, no GPS telling me where to go. It's all too hard

Moscow is a really nice city and to be honest has the best natural history museums in Europe that I've seen. Most of them are in Russian though so I've left alot of the exact details to the imagination
Today we're visiting the Kremlin.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #394
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3mbers View Post
Wow, just an amazing ride report. I really enjoyed your report, but i'm feeling sorry for your bike.

I think that al the problems gave an extra dimension to your trip?
Don't feel sorry for her. With a bit of TLC when she gets back home and more permanent repairs ishe will be better than new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
To bring back the bike in a reasonable looking state. Really?
That's showroom quality.
Must have hurt to undo it from its load of memories.
Smart move though: now you are obliged to do dirt roads to bring it back into its proper element.

You're resourceful and tenacious which made for a great story and reading, thanks.

Thanks for following along mate and thanks for the comments.

My thoughts exactly, the dirtier the better
Old 09-22-2013, 12:09 AM   #395
Yorkybar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hi GuiltyParty,

WOW Im gobsmaked. I thought it would have been far more.I spent that in 2 months touring the USA. I might give it a go then,I to have a Tiger 800XC.
Yorkybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #396
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty
Patty made a new friend - a stray pup with attitude. He barked at other dogs that came near our bike. It would be so cool if we could take a pet with us across borders.

On a related note, last year I met a couple on an Africa Twin (Julian and Lorena), who adopted their dog Trico from the streets in Spain:

Julian and Lorena have been on the road for over eleven years. They said that is often a challenge to get Trico across borders, most notably something like 6 months quarantine for Trico to get in Australia!!
sasho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #397
sonnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Swell ride, thanks for sharing and look forward to the Ausie part, good luck with customs. You ever worried about Pattys's safety in looney outback.
sonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #398
Heimdall
n00b

Oddometer: 4
What a fantastic ride report and what an amazing journey.
Big thanks for taking the effort to document everything even when it must have felt easier to pick up a bottle of vodka and a napkin to wipe away the tears than picking up the camera and the keyboard.

Seems to me that in midst of all the chaos there was one key component that didn't brake down during the whole trip, the pillion passenger.
Hold on to that one.
Heimdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #399
Hytram
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post
The bike should arrive in Melbourne early November so if customs allow the Liger into the country I’ll do my best to ride dirt all the way to Sydney through the Vic High Country, Bendethra, Hill End etc etc…can’t wait! I need to do some serious planning for all that though because I don’t have any tracks for any of that. I'll post the aussie leg of the trip on this thread too

love to catch up with you and buy you and Patty a beer when your in Melbourne... keep us informed here when you arrive
Hytram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:25 AM   #400
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy View Post
Swell ride, thanks for sharing and look forward to the Ausie part, good luck with customs. You ever worried about Pattys's safety in looney outback.
Of course, naturally. People were inquisitive about her and wanted to know everything about her and take photos so that became an everyday part of the trip and undoubtedly one of the big reasons we had so many random encounters, but most of the time there is no need to worry and everything was fine. It was when we were around people that had been drinking that we both started to get a little nervous. Drunk people are unpredictable and we couldn't predict their intentions. Some would get a little too touchy feely so we'd extract ourselves and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasho View Post
On a related note, last year I met a couple on an Africa Twin (Julian and Lorena), who adopted their dog Trico from the streets in Spain:

Julian and Lorena have been on the road for over eleven years. They said that is often a challenge to get Trico across borders, most notably something like 6 months quarantine for Trico to get in Australia!!
So cool

We met a Swiss couple in Osh with an Egyptian hound and some other dog and they said it can get very expensive getting the certificates from vets saying they were free of disease. When they got to the border though and saw these dogs in the back of the landy they were too scared to go close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
What a fantastic ride report and what an amazing journey.
Big thanks for taking the effort to document everything even when it must have felt easier to pick up a bottle of vodka and a napkin to wipe away the tears than picking up the camera and the keyboard.

Seems to me that in midst of all the chaos there was one key component that didn't brake down during the whole trip, the pillion passenger.
Hold on to that one.
Thanks for following

She's a keeper that's for sure.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:26 AM   #401
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hytram View Post
love to catch up with you and buy you and Patty a beer when your in Melbourne... keep us informed here when you arrive
Sounds good mate we would like that. We'll have to check out the instrument panel in your pool room
Old 09-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #402
ACP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Hey Craigo,

Just caught on to your thread here and read it through end to end.

I rode out with you a couple years back. Your bike's come a long way since... (literally)

I think she must have been brand spanking new. We did a bit of green laning up Wiltshire somewhere, you had road tyres on, took a front end slide in some mud and snapped the front brake lever off! You cut your day short and limped back to London

Can you imagine that being of concern to you now with all you and the bike have been through!?

Anyway, I enjoyed the RR and look forward to reading your travels in Oz.

ATB, Andy

ps. glad to see you upgraded the handguards
Old 09-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #403
bavarian
bavarian

Oddometer: 1,752
Octoberfest started almost a week ago. Didn't you want to show up here? Just let me know and I surely can arrange something for you!
bavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #404
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP View Post
Hey Craigo,

Just caught on to your thread here and read it through end to end.

I rode out with you a couple years back. Your bike's come a long way since... (literally)

I think she must have been brand spanking new. We did a bit of green laning up Wiltshire somewhere, you had road tyres on, took a front end slide in some mud and snapped the front brake lever off! You cut your day short and limped back to London

Can you imagine that being of concern to you now with all you and the bike have been through!?

Anyway, I enjoyed the RR and look forward to reading your travels in Oz.

ATB, Andy

ps. glad to see you upgraded the handguards
Hey Andy,

Thanks for tuning in.

That was a real fun (half) day out! The bike was very fresh then, actually that was the first ride out and like you say before decent dirt tyres and handguards. Hmm in hindsight the broken lever on it's virgin ride could have been an omen. Naaah feck that, that's just my impatience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian View Post
Octoberfest started almost a week ago. Didn't you want to show up here? Just let me know and I surely can arrange something for you!
We're on a bus now on our way to Warsaw, and the bus has wi-fi who would have thought?!

We're still not sure whether we'll make Oktoberfest before we need to meet our friends in Stuttgart for the beerfest there so it's still up in the air. If we do I'll give you a shout and we'll prost!
Old 09-28-2013, 04:12 AM   #405
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,395
craig, how many miles have you done from your front door until you shipped out the crate, interested as i'll be heading in the opposite direction next year taking a similar route
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote