Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #481
pirate63
SUPA 10 PILOT

Oddometer: 443
Yeah thats the place, but we managed to secure our bike in their garage down the lane, great day bed by the fast flowing river.
We still shake our heads after what happened to you after just passing you

http://brisbane2bristol.wordpress.com
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:29 AM   #482
silverboy66
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
great ride.... great adventure!!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:01 AM   #483
GlennRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I love it, I just love it great pictures great videos and great ride report guys!!
GlennRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #484
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post
I'm putting a safari tank on and looking into the Rallye tank as well for even more juice...plus it looks trick

Not a red frame, at first I was going to but then Triumph released their SE version so I changed my mind. Now you'll just have to wait and see

I'll have to do something like that with the pegs but I'll worry about that later when it's all back together
I actually hadn't seen the SE. Looks cool with the red frame.

My guess is a white frame...

Cheers,

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:00 AM   #485
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 218
I got redirected to this RR from another subject. I read through it in 2 days (skipping most of the compliments which you very much deserve !)

It was like a great adventure novel.

You have all my admiration, especially Patty to go through all this always with a smile on her face. It has been a great inspiration for me and I will ask my wife to read it as well. Maybe...

I couldn't help but thinking about the Borman/OB1 LWR trip. I know its TV but it just made me smile to remember their "stressful" situations - knowing that they had a huge support team with them. You did all this, with a little budget and a big smile.

I may have missed it somewhere, but I would be curious to know what was the local cost of the repair-work after the crash.
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #486
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboy66 View Post
great ride.... great adventure!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennRides View Post
I love it, I just love it great pictures great videos and great ride report guys!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isgro View Post
I just discovered this thread. What a fantastic ride report. Well done Craig and Patty.

I look forward to following along on the bike rebuild and any future adventures.
Thanks for the compliments and joining in

Believe it or not these latest photos were taken with an iphone. Not to shabby.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #487
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,092
Great to catch up on the latest with the bike! Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated.

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #488
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate63 View Post
Yeah thats the place, but we managed to secure our bike in their garage down the lane, great day bed by the fast flowing river.
We still shake our heads after what happened to you after just passing you

http://brisbane2bristol.wordpress.com
A great spot, we should have stayed for an day extra and we would have bumped into each other and avoided the whole accident. We can't think like that though

Thanks for the link gives me something to read in my lunch breaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble_CH View Post
I got redirected to this RR from another subject. I read through it in 2 days (skipping most of the compliments which you very much deserve !)

It was like a great adventure novel.

You have all my admiration, especially Patty to go through all this always with a smile on her face. It has been a great inspiration for me and I will ask my wife to read it as well. Maybe...

I couldn't help but thinking about the Borman/OB1 LWR trip. I know its TV but it just made me smile to remember their "stressful" situations - knowing that they had a huge support team with them. You did all this, with a little budget and a big smile.

I may have missed it somewhere, but I would be curious to know what was the local cost of the repair-work after the crash.
Very happy you liked it. I'm reliving some of it now because I'm writing up an article for some adventure mags. Triumph got back to me and said 'almost definitely this will appear' in one of their future issues of Spirit magazine which I'm pretty stoked about.

Sherzod, the panel beater who was helping bash some things back into shape was an employee of MuzToo tours and Patrick, who runs MuzToo, said to just fix him up for whatever time we used him. It was four days work and that came out to the equivalent of $200 aussie plus of course a tip on top of that. I would say because Sherzod is an employee of a Swiss tour company he would be getting paid higher than the average panel beater in Kyrgyzstan but still, $200, wow who can complain about that?! Apart from that the Lada grill was $10 and the lights $12.

Can I ask what link brought you to this?
Old 02-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #489
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
Great to catch up on the latest with the bike! Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated.
When she's done you can see it in person as it seems we're neighbours...we're in the Hawkesbury too.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #490
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
When she's done you can see it in person as it seems we're neighbours...we're in the Hawkesbury too.
Yer jokin'! I started reading about a bloke on the other side of the world riding to the same country and he ends up in the same district! I'll be buggered!

I'm HOPELESS on the tools, but I have a trailer if you ever need to use it, as opposed to trying to jam it all in your car... just give me a yell!

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #491
matt-c6v9
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 28
Thumb 800 xc

Craig and Patty,

Matthew here from the USA.

Awesome RR. Love your attitudes on the situations you encountered. Great spirit and awesome teamwork displayed in the RR. Thank you for sharing.

My brother and I are going to do an epic ride someday so we are in the planning mode. We have been looking at the TT 800 XC. I was lurking around here and other sites and was referred to your report. You might have made up my mind for me.

Love the way you drove it off the showroom floor and when the situation presented itself, you skull-drug it along the way. You put the movie "Frankenstein" to shame with this report Doctor Craig!

You need to copyright the new look of the bike as it has style and people will want to copy it. You can make some $$ for a new speedo or "speedo as a lamp for over the pool table." - Love it!

Cheers!!
Old 02-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #492
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Can I ask what link brought you to this?

It's in this thread. Not really worth reading.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23236641

The OP was blaming his KTM 990 Adv. and KTM company with it, having cancelled his trip to South America because of a clogged fuel filter instead of blaming himself for not having learned the minimum of maintenance to keep the bike running. Your thread was mentioned to show what other AdvRider have to handle (after your accident) and still go on with the trip.

Sent back and forth
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #493
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
Yer jokin'! I started reading about a bloke on the other side of the world riding to the same country and he ends up in the same district! I'll be buggered!

I'm HOPELESS on the tools, but I have a trailer if you ever need to use it, as opposed to trying to jam it all in your car... just give me a yell!
Great thanks! Or if you ever wanted a ride just drop me a line. I've registered my KLR while the xc is getting rebuilt and I'll be doing some rides around the area with Patty's stepdad who's on a DRZ650

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-c6v9 View Post
Craig and Patty,

Matthew here from the USA.

Awesome RR. Love your attitudes on the situations you encountered. Great spirit and awesome teamwork displayed in the RR. Thank you for sharing.

My brother and I are going to do an epic ride someday so we are in the planning mode. We have been looking at the TT 800 XC. I was lurking around here and other sites and was referred to your report. You might have made up my mind for me.

Love the way you drove it off the showroom floor and when the situation presented itself, you skull-drug it along the way. You put the movie "Frankenstein" to shame with this report Doctor Craig!

You need to copyright the new look of the bike as it has style and people will want to copy it. You can make some $$ for a new speedo or "speedo as a lamp for over the pool table." - Love it!

Cheers!!
Thanks Matt!

Maybe I'm a little biased but look no further for a quality bike There are more people experimenting with the bike and taking it to new levels like Mark Vanscourt (inmate Baja Dad) is prepping one for the Baja 1000 and Rally Raid expanding their line to include the XC so there must be something in that. Or you can get a posty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble_CH View Post
It's in this thread. Not really worth reading.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23236641

The OP was blaming his KTM 990 Adv. and KTM company with it, having cancelled his trip to South America because of a clogged fuel filter instead of blaming himself for not having learned the minimum of maintenance to keep the bike running. Your thread was mentioned to show what other AdvRider have to handle (after your accident) and still go on with the trip.

Sent back and forth
I had to have a quick flick through that thread. I can sympathise with the guy because he dropped a lot of cash on a new bike and maybe didn’t expect/plan for the problems he had. Probably didn’t go about things the right way but still, I’m glad he made it to Mexico in the end.

I noticed the comments about our trip from IronJackWhitton and WantToRideMoar - thanks guy’s. WantToRideMoar made the comment there was no sense in repairing the bike after the accident. We thought that too. After the accident we got as far as Murghab with the bike on top of a Pajero (then unloaded by way of lifting it on to the top of a tank!) and after the ridiculousness of it all we stopped and said ‘enough is enough’. Until that point we’d been running on pure adrenaline and it was a case of ‘we must get to the border before our transit visa expires’ without stopping to think about whether we should actually get it to the border or not with the bike. We stripped all the parts of value off it with every intention of leaving the bulk of it behind but something inside me said this can’t be it so we loaded it into a van.

Stuck in a van with the bike loaded in the back, passing through the mountains put everything into perspective for us and we had moments of introverted sadness. We couldn’t stop when we wanted to take photos, we couldn’t camp when we wanted to, we didn’t meet any locals. In a nutshell we were missing out on all the things that had made the trip so enjoyable so far. Without our bike we’d lost our sense of freedom that until then we took for granted.

We asked ourselves if we didn’t fix the bike would we get the same enjoyment and satisfaction by travelling on other means? Bus, horse, other bike, whatever. The short answer was no. Our motorbike choice was limited by our luggage and the fact we were two-up. In reality the only problem was a cracked sub-frame. A sub-frame. The rest was superficial. Smashed sump, that can happen riding trails in your own backyard. Smashed headlight? Shit happens. Was it worth throwing the trip of a life time away over a bit of cash? Hell no. The parts cost £1600 all up and being stuck in Osh for a month gave us a chance to get a feel for a city and the locals (other than the transient experience we’d had thus far by passing through) and a chance to mingle with other travellers, something that we didn’t do much until that point because we were constantly on the road and away from the tourist spots. We had nowhere to be, so why not. Also how often does a couple of aussies find themselves in Kyrgyzstan?! My friends still think I’m making the country up!

The bike doesn’t have any resale value but we can't approach every situation in life by a pure profit/loss analysis, otherwise we’d be stuck at home dribbling jam in our crotch while watching the breakfast show on TV.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #494
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,120
+1
Perfectly worded and very valid.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #495
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
OMG, THIS IS AN EPIC RIDE REPORT!

THANKS!