Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2014, 04:12 AM   #586
dirt_bloke
No idea

Oddometer: 799
Hey Craig, do Barrett provide a map to load into the ECU? What was the damage (or was it a special deal?) more pic of the pipe please.
(yet)
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:44 AM   #587
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_bloke View Post
Hey Craig, do Barrett provide a map to load into the ECU? What was the damage (or was it a special deal?) more pic of the pipe please.
There are two official tunes:
Triumph standard tune
Triumph Arrow tune.

Most, if not all aftermarket manufacturers state that their exhausts are built with the standard tune in mind. Actually not aware of any that state the Arrow tune is required to be honest.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:10 AM   #588
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
There are two official tunes:
Triumph standard tune
Triumph Arrow tune.

Most, if not all aftermarket manufacturers state that their exhausts are built with the standard tune in mind. Actually not aware of any that state the Arrow tune is required to be honest.
Craig, I have TuneECU on my comp still. If you remember, your Liger and my KTM690 have basically the same Keihin FI system. If you don't have it "corrected" by the time I make it to OZ, we can upload the new map into your ECU. Just let me know which model I should download the "arrow map" for. All slip-ons are basically the same in terms of fueling. I've been running the fueling for an "Akropovic map" (slightly modified) on my bike for 75,000 km and I have a LV pipe. It only adds about 2 to 4% to the fuel matrix over the range of RPMs.
http://www.tuneecu.com/Tune_List.html

You might download TuneECU for the fun of it. You can get a USB to OBD2 cable relatively cheap these days.

Since you have re-designed the whole bike anyway, you might as well get to know the FI too.
Its nice to flash your error codes too.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:35 AM   #589
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,573
I fitted a Barrett slip-on exhaust, built right here in Oz just around the corner from where I live.

I was going to leave the standard exhaust on to keep the authorities happy but seeing it lying there on the floor I couldn't resist the temptation Maybe I'll post a video of this in action.

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:36 AM   #590
Shaggie
Unseen University

How much lighter is the new exhaust too please?

Old 05-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #591
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Oddometer: 317
The exhaust is $460 including postage but I got it a bit less than that. They haven't really advertised it nor posted pics of it fitted to a Triumph so unless you've heard of them before you wouldn't know they were making them, not like you would say an Arrow or Leo Vince which you hear about all the time. For now I'm using the standard tune so I can get some readings and then I'll change it. I didn't take any weight measurements but it's noticeably lighter, not to mention smaller and sleeker.

Noah I've been using DealerTool which I took on the trip. It will be ready for our trip to the OCR if you fancy a bit of exploring around the top end of Oz. I know you come into Darwin, to Sydney then almost back to Darwin again but a trip to Oz without a trip to Kakadu wouldn't be a complete trip. Plenty of spots to get your fishing line wet for some prized Barramundi.

I'll post more pics of the light, instrument panel, exhaust and brake lines over the weekend.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #592
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post

Noah I've been using DealerTool which I took on the trip. It will be ready for our trip to the OCR if you fancy a bit of exploring around the top end of Oz. I know you come into Darwin, to Sydney then almost back to Darwin again but a trip to Oz without a trip to Kakadu wouldn't be a complete trip. Plenty of spots to get your fishing line wet for some prized Barramundi.
Yeah dude. I'm game. We should Skype again soon. I'm flying into Sumatra on Saturday. I'm not sure about the availability of good wifi there...
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:38 AM   #593
dirt_bloke
No idea

Oddometer: 799
Going Walkabout on an 800xc through Russia & Central Asia...and maybe beyond...

So, is the bike back on the road yet?
(yet)

dirt_bloke screwed with this post 06-03-2014 at 10:07 PM
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:15 AM   #594
Shaggie
Unseen University

+1

Old 06-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #595
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,484
Heya Neighbour!!

GP & Patty

As a lurker on your thread interested to see how the Tiger stood up and follow your travels it is finally time to chime in.

You guys certainly took the Tiger to the edge and back, not to mention yourselves.

Full cred for pulling her back together and making No 5 alive again man and now with the rebuild into what can only be described as sweetas.

Outstanding RR, beautiful pics and outstanding attitude on life, travel, difficulties and all

Best wishes to you both, like the others I am very interested too on the final outcome for Liger.

Cheers Andi
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #596
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_bloke View Post
So, is the bike back on the road yet?
It passed the first stage of safety inspection which means I'm now waiting on an import plate from Niddrie Nameplates in Victoria to affix to the bike. Once I get that I show it to the people who did the safety inspection then they release all the paperwork and I can get it registered and back on the road. Will be a few more weeks yet. It's been a very long process but it's done right.

In the meantime I have a desert crossing to plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
GP & Patty

As a lurker on your thread interested to see how the Tiger stood up and follow your travels it is finally time to chime in.

You guys certainly took the Tiger to the edge and back, not to mention yourselves.

Full cred for pulling her back together and making No 5 alive again man and now with the rebuild into what can only be described as sweetas.

Outstanding RR, beautiful pics and outstanding attitude on life, travel, difficulties and all

Best wishes to you both, like the others I am very interested too on the final outcome for Liger.

Cheers Andi
Cheers Andi for following our adventure, the ups and downs and everything in between

It doesn't compare to yours though, I've just been trawling through your site. Those mines in Potosi are an eye opener aren't they. There was a partial collapse when we were in there and we had to run in case more collapsed. Meanwhile I could feel the rumblings of dynamite being set off in other sections of the mine. Bloody fantastic place to travel, for a long time I looked for ways of getting back over there to live permanently. It's still on the cards.

Keep up the great photography and stay safe. I'll be following just behind you in spirit

GuiltyParty screwed with this post 06-13-2014 at 03:54 PM
GuiltyParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:36 AM   #597
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post
It passed the first stage of safety inspection which means I'm now waiting on an import plate from Niddrie Nameplates in Victoria to affix to the bike. Once I get that I show it to the people who did the safety inspection then they release all the paperwork and I can get it registered and back on the road. Will be a few more weeks yet. It's been a very long process but it's done right.

Cheers Andi for following our adventure, the ups and downs and everything in between

It doesn't compare to yours though, I've just been trawling through your site. Those mines in Potosi are an eye opener aren't they. There was a partial collapse when we were in there and we had to run in case more collapsed. Meanwhile I could feel the rumblings of dynamite being set off in other sections of the mine. Bloody fantastic place to travel, for a long time I looked for ways of getting back over there to live permanently. It's still on the cards.

Keep up the great photography and stay safe. I'll be following just behind you in spirit
Great news getting the bike sorted and yes definitely worth doing it properly

Your adventure more than compares although it does not need too... the crash was a monty and your guys spirits was outstanding as soon as anyone turns the key, takes the risk and travels on a moto in a foreign place they are worthy

I will be travelling some of the areas so was very keen on how you saw it too, Bolivia is a nice place to travel but to be honest the Bolivians (particularly at this point in time) with riots, blockades, strikes and general halting of any services, not serving petrol to foreigners and ripping white faces constantly is starting to wear thin with frustration.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:34 AM   #598
Airguitar
Thumpin'!!

Oddometer: 383
Great read from start to.. well.. not yet finished, is it?
You guys proved once again that Charlie and Ewan are not immortals.

I'm collecting my Tiger 800XC in September, so I'm keen to see how your mods have turned out. It's especially interesting that you've opted for a plastic front fender instead of returning to OEM. I've learned a lot about the bike and its shortcomings from reading your thread, however it would be good to hear your thoughts on this as well. An adventure bike has to be able to take the knocks, especially when you're 3500km from anywhere that carries spare parts.
So, please make us a list of what's good and what's not good on this bike. I'm looking forward to taking my own around Southern Africa. Having some knowledge about what to expect or what to do to prevent any nasty surprises would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:54 AM   #599
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airguitar View Post
I'm collecting my Tiger 800XC in September, so I'm keen to see how your mods have turned out. It's especially interesting that you've opted for a plastic front fender instead of returning to OEM. I've learned a lot about the bike and its shortcomings from reading your thread, however it would be good to hear your thoughts on this as well. An adventure bike has to be able to take the knocks, especially when you're 3500km from anywhere that carries spare parts.
So, please make us a list of what's good and what's not good on this bike. I'm looking forward to taking my own around Southern Africa. Having some knowledge about what to expect or what to do to prevent any nasty surprises would be greatly appreciated.
There's a whole "problem" thread. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782993
Old 07-30-2014, 03:07 AM   #600
nduro.kz
Nomad

Oddometer: 15
It's great!
Can i translate this on russian and post on Kazakh adventure site?