Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2014, 04:55 AM   #601
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airguitar View Post
I'm collecting my Tiger 800XC in September, so I'm keen to see how your mods have turned out. It's especially interesting that you've opted for a plastic front fender instead of returning to OEM.
Err the oem front is plastic also. As said check out the problems thread. Main thing to be drawn from this thread is that GuiltyParty is a tenacious bugger and resourceful to.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:53 AM   #602
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,515
Ummmm , What's going on young fella ? I decide to catch up on what you are up to and there is nothing for a couple of Months , I am hoping that means you got the crippled Triple regoed and have been too busy riding to post anything here for all your fans .

Oh and if anyone is interested , this link will allow you to read the ride report of Craig's first Multi day Interstate ride , kinda like his intro to ADV if you will .

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454411
Old 08-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #603
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
High Fender

Thanks to Craig's suggestion, we here at Rally-Raid Products in the UK are working on a high front fender kit for those that want to ditch the tyre hugging OEM fender before riding off-road.
Our prototype billet fork clamp fits just under the lower triple clamp and allows the fitment of a KTM fender, the 2-into-1 front brake hose was replaced with 2 seperate hoses, that will be made by Venhill, and we are looking for some plastic lower fork guards to finish it off.

ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #604
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
Thanks to Craig's suggestion, we here at Rally-Raid Products in the UK are working on a high front fender kit for those that want to ditch the tyre hugging OEM fender before riding off-road.
Our prototype billet fork clamp fits just under the lower triple clamp and allows the fitment of a KTM fender, the 2-into-1 front brake hose was replaced with 2 seperate hoses, that will be made by Venhill, and we are looking for some plastic lower fork guards to finish it off.

Looks a bit odd with the beak still there. Might look better with the roadie front section.
Do you know if Venhill will be selling the brake line kit? I called into their place in Dorking in the hope of getting something made but the woman in the office didn't seem interested.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #605
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Looks a bit odd with the beak still there. Might look better with the roadie front section.
Do you know if Venhill will be selling the brake line kit? I called into their place in Dorking in the hope of getting something made but the woman in the office didn't seem interested.
We will be selling the kit, but with an extra plastic hose guide for the right hand brake hose to clip to the fork leg
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:07 AM   #606
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Oddometer: 317
Playing

I've been out playing so I'll post an update soooooon

Old 08-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #607
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post
.... a man can't be told off for that now

Guilty, your XC is what Triumph shoulda done in the first place, that is one hot lookin piece of kit now ... send the pics to Triumph to show em what they need to do.

Cheers Andi
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #608
Crab bait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:

Looks pretty good minus the windshield and beak!
Crab bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:00 AM   #609
Airguitar
Thumpin'!!

Oddometer: 383

Agreed, I'd add an inch to the handlebar height and find a screen that works with that headlight. Great Job in any case.. I daresay this Tiger has more stories to tell than any other out there...
Old 08-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #610
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:

OCR bound ?
Old 08-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #611
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airguitar View Post
Great read from start to.. well.. not yet finished, is it?
You guys proved once again that Charlie and Ewan are not immortals.

I'm collecting my Tiger 800XC in September, so I'm keen to see how your mods have turned out. It's especially interesting that you've opted for a plastic front fender instead of returning to OEM. I've learned a lot about the bike and its shortcomings from reading your thread, however it would be good to hear your thoughts on this as well. An adventure bike has to be able to take the knocks, especially when you're 3500km from anywhere that carries spare parts.
So, please make us a list of what's good and what's not good on this bike. I'm looking forward to taking my own around Southern Africa. Having some knowledge about what to expect or what to do to prevent any nasty surprises would be greatly appreciated.
Congratulations on the new bike

Where to start?! As a few posted already there are a few threads that have covered it but even today I'm still finding new things, mostly because it's accumulated a few k's now (~50,000) and a lot of that off the slab.

Problems / Quirks
Stepper Motor - the problems have been described to death. Not starting and stalling is a real ball ache out on the trail and will have you second guessing why you ever bought a Triumph in the first place. Service it properly and ride faster so you're up front and out of the dust and it will alleviate most of the troubles . I'm not convinced servicing it at maintenance intervals will completely eliminate the stalling problem if you're riding dirt all the time though so I've added some 'curtains' around the air box/stepper motor area which seem to have helped.

Random stalling - very infrequent but when I'm doing heavy clutch use it seems to stall and not start again for 5 or so minutes. Still not sure whats going on here as it's not stepper motor related. Maybe it's to do with the oil so I'm trying Lucas 10W 50 which I've heard good things about.

Radiator fluid - at altitude (greater than 3000m) the radiator fluid bubbles and drips out the overflow reservoir. Just keep an eye on it and carry a small amount of distilled water/radiator fluid. I think it's to do with lower boiling temperature at altitude but I'm no Stephen Hawking to add any credibility whatsoever to this statement.

Instrument Panel - without the instrument panel you can't start the bike as it's a CanBUS and the ECU requires the signal from the panel. The panel is also linked to the immobiliser. Seal the whole exterior of the panel with silicone to stop water getting in. No big deal if you're not doing water crossings but in Africa I imagine you are.

Solenoid - it's located under the battery and mud and water can sit in the tray and corrode your terminals. There's an easy fix to relocate it (Blacktiger a fellow inmate has posted an excellent solution but for now I can't find the link to it)

Starter motor - this is a new addition for me. With the dodgy stepper motor I suspect it lead to an overuse and early expiry of the starter motor. At 40,000k it went on the blink a week before a major trip. The bike was cold starting but after warming it up and then trying to restart it sounded like a weak battery and wouldn't turn over. I replaced the battery with a lithium one but the problem remained. After a bit of research (thanks to my resident RTW guest Noah) we narrowed it down to the starter motor.

Worn brushes (they should be 4 x that size)

Carbon buildup

Worn contacts (sorry for the blurry image the iphone wouldn't focus properly)

The Triumph part number is T1310060 which is a Denso part 428000-5540.

They're $750 new in Oz but fortunately the same starter motor is also in these bikes:-

Triumph Street Triple 675 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Triumph Street Triple R 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Triumph Tiger 800 2011, 2012, 2013
Triumph Tiger 800XC 2011, 2012, 2013

My local bike dealer took a starter motor out of a Street Triple the night before we were due to depart on our trip to the Simpson and it was almost new and that fixed the problem. I get a hard on when I start the bike now with the new starter motor, lithium battery and exhaust. If you're doing an extended trip 40,000k + I would carry the cap off the starter motor with the fresh brushes in it (not the whole starter motor it's too heavy). You can pick up cheap second hand ones.

Essential Pimping
Some obvious dirt pimping required.
Bash plate (or sump guard for the people over the pond) - I use the OEM plate but there are better ones out there. Rally Raid's one looks like it covers all the crucial areas although I haven't tested it.

Engine protection - For a long time I used the OEM Triumph guards and they're just fine but there are better one's out there now. I use the SW Motech guards and it saved my bike in the fall. No better endorsement for them than that IMO.

Bar risers - I used to have the Touratech ones which lift the bars vertically 20mm but that created an uncomfortable riding position for me as I had to lean forward. I sold them now I use the Rox risers which have a 2" lift and roll back. Much more comfortable. In addition I've got a damper which lifts it another 12mm or so.

Hand guards - I broke a lever my first time off the slab using the OEM guards. I use Bark Busters and love them.

Pillion pegs - cut them off 5-10mm out from the frame and reattach them in a less fixed way i.e. so that if you have an off the pegs give way before it causes your sub-frame to twist. It's an easy fix and everyone should do it. I say 5-10mm because they're actually tapped into the frame so if you cut them all the way back you're going to have a hole in your sub-frame that needs plugging. Better to cut them back just short of the sub-frame and plug the holes.

That's it. It sounds like a lot on paper but it's really not, all mechanical things have their quirks. With these few mods you can hit the road and have a bloody great time

If you REALLY want to have fun;
Upgrade to stiffer suspension front and back. My rear is an Eibach 0800.225.0550 (550 pounds or 9.8kg) with race tech valves which is perfect for my skinny 74kg frame + luggage.

Steering damper. My first time using one and wow these things make a huge difference. It made this crossing a walk in the park;

Offroad tyres - I use TKC80 front and Mitas E09 Dakar for the serious offroad or a Heidenau K60 for everything else. 26,000k on the TKC front and 20,000 k on the K60 rear. More expensive but value for money.

Aftermarket exhaust;

Wider pegs.

High guard - not essential but if you're out on the trail and debris smashes your front guard you're left with a brake line hanging over your front wheel just waiting for disaster. Mud doesn't build up and I don't get the splash back on the exhaust headers like I used to with the low guard.

I've attached it using a folded piece of 2mm aluminium (again thanks Noah)

The lada badge is the touch

I've also modified my pannier racks so that the weight is more over my rear axle and forwards. When I bought the bike there were very limited pannier rack options so I've cut and modified mine to make them more appropriate.

A steel bar going to the frame at the peg as opposed to the pillion pegs.

Tyre lever specially for fitting the K60, it's a real a*hole to fit.

I don't use the rear rack anymore, instead I carry my bags on the pillion seat to get the weight forward. I'll do away with the pillion seat when Patty's not on it and place an aluminium tray there instead with tabs for tying the bag down (hint hint Rally Raid ).

My bike is a different beast now and soooooooooo much fun

The other bits and pieces are just bling.

The additions I still want to add to my bike are:-

a fuel filter exterior to the tank
softer seat

The bike can take the knocks don't worry about that. I treat mine more like a dirt bike than an 'adventure' bike. As an almost stock bike with the exception of the protection bits you can ride this thing around the world.

Sorry for the long response I sort of used this as a base for an update

Quote:
Originally Posted by nduro.kz View Post
It's great!
Can i translate this on russian and post on Kazakh adventure site?
I'd be honoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfatbeerman View Post
Ummmm , What's going on young fella ? I decide to catch up on what you are up to and there is nothing for a couple of Months , I am hoping that means you got the crippled Triple regoed and have been too busy riding to post anything here for all your fans .

Oh and if anyone is interested , this link will allow you to read the ride report of Craig's first Multi day Interstate ride , kinda like his intro to ADV if you will .

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454411
Ahh that was a bloody good ride. I've been out on a weekend ride to Hill End. I didn't go to the OCR as I couldn't the time off but I went as far as the Simpson then turned south into the Flinders. I attempted to cross the Simpson on this but unfortunately it didn't happen it was too tough going...and I reckon I gave up too easily

Good to hear from you again Al, we have to organise a ride.

I don't want to turn this thread into another ride report but I'll post some pics of the bike. (Noah was on the rides so he'll no doubt mention it in his thread but he won't post sexy pics of a Triumph in his KTM thread ).

Cold

Wine and a warm fire

Old 08-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #612
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse

Oddometer: 403
Hey Craig, well done, good to see the Liger badge intact

How are you going with the bastard Acerbis locking cap on the Safari tank?
Mine feels cross threaded even when it's not. Have been told about another venting cap where the vent pipe comes out horizontal but have been unable to source it so far
I need to remember to silicon the instrument cluster next time I get near a workshop
Cheers from not so Sunny Alaska
Old 08-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #613
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxsmith View Post
Hey Craig, well done, good to see the Liger badge intact

How are you going with the bastard Acerbis locking cap on the Safari tank?
Mine feels cross threaded even when it's not. Have been told about another venting cap where the vent pipe comes out horizontal but have been unable to source it so far
I need to remember to silicon the instrument cluster next time I get near a workshop
Cheers from not so Sunny Alaska
Thank god, it's not just me! I spent 10 minutes trying to get that thing on one day and then when you think it's on you get 5 minutes down the road and there's fuel running down the tank

I want one with a breather hose. When the sun is beating down I can hear the tank pressurising. If you find one let me know and I'll do the same.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:33 AM   #614
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,499
Quote:

Solenoid - it's located under the battery and mud and water can sit in the tray and corrode your terminals. There's an easy fix to relocate it (Blacktiger a fellow inmate has posted an excellent solution but for now I can't find the link to it)
I didn't relocate the whole solenoid. Just the main fuse so that you don't have to strip out the battery and other stuff to get at it.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #615
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Thank god, it's not just me! I spent 10 minutes trying to get that thing on one day and then when you think it's on you get 5 minutes down the road and there's fuel running down the tank

I want one with a breather hose. When the sun is beating down I can hear the tank pressurising. If you find one let me know and I'll do the same.
I've had the same trouble. The locking cap wicks the fuel out (!). The great people at Safari sent me a standard cap and I've had no issue since.

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote