Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 01:59 AM   #136
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer: 1,846
big of a bugger but shit happens , all my earlier pics are backed up on smugmug ,but since my laptop shit itself i did not do it so that is the worst part , the camera's and gear is replacable ,i also realised my hard drive from the computer was in there as well , so all my 1 minute pics from before the go pro fell off are lost , so much for being an easy going aussie , i will have to harden up for next year, so yes off to the german superbikes this weekend to see Robbie Phillis's son Al race , he is a 19 old and has been going well in his first year n the 1000 class over here
thecanoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:43 AM   #137
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,572
With no shock just a spring it bucked around a bit at speed , so it decided to highside me into a prickle bush

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:36 AM   #138
chip77
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Great to see you,ve made it fella...AND great to hear there is another Phillis making a name for himself in Euro..land .I will be following the new Albury 'hurricane' from now on ta. c
chip77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #139
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecanoeguy View Post
big of a bugger but shit happens , all my earlier pics are backed up on smugmug ,but since my laptop shit itself i did not do it so that is the worst part , the camera's and gear is replacable ,i also realised my hard drive from the computer was in there as well , so all my 1 minute pics from before the go pro fell off are lost , so much for being an easy going aussie , i will have to harden up for next year, so yes off to the german superbikes this weekend to see Robbie Phillis's son Al race , he is a 19 old and has been going well in his first year n the 1000 class over here
I grew up in Zimbabwe, lived there for 18yrs, Africa is a great training ground for experiencing some of these things...

I'm thankful for some life skills it's taught me though... not all of which are necessarily good traits, like trusting strangers. Being more aware of one's surroundings is highly recommended, no matter where in the world you are.

Sorry for your loss
Suzuki SV1000 - My road monster
KTM 640 LC4E - Adventure bike (project)
Young-Gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:13 AM   #140
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

i made it back home to Albury via Germany and Scotland(not on the hippo) and the bike is tucked up in Doctor KLR's shed just south of Johannesburg getting a 685 kit fitted over the summer , i ended up doing 21,000 km and a nice loop of southern africa , it was brilliant and i would suggest to more guys to get out there and do it , africa is beautiful and not at all dangerous like it is made out to be , a little frustrating at times and a lot of bullshit paperwork at borders, but seems to be improving ,i will hopefully ,touch wood come back in june 2014 and make it to dusseldorf to finish this report with a new camera , and new enthusiasm

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 11-11-2013 at 01:44 PM
Old 11-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #141
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 170
Thumb

Really enjoyed your pictures and reports. It was so great to see some of my old hang outs reached by bike, and then everything north that I've never been to. The KlR napping on that little path in the game reserve, crossing the river in a canoe. 21,000km of that sort of stuff - you've got amazing guts. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us!
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #142
AndrewGills
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Someone on Austouring forum told me to check out this thread because I'm currently preparing to ride from Cape Town to Norway from November 2014. Sure, summer is not ideal but better at non-ideal time than never.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading your ride reports and seeing your photos. So great to see stuff from others who have actually done what I am setting off to do because there are so many nay-sayers trying to tell me it can't be done.

I'm taking a different route and will probably be riding a Honda XR125 not a big 650. But still ... so excited about the trip. And will be back to look at your RR when I need inspiration.
AndrewGills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:51 AM   #143
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

you should have fun , i want to go back and do the next stage , have a look at the africa on a ctx 200 trip report , it is great , i have been following it with plenty of interest , that is a bike i would recommend to you
here is the link

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=930940