User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 170
OKAY in Lesotho?

Haven't been in Lesotho since 1978 - a great place to search for someone. Have no idea what Internet is like there in 2013, or cell service. It's concerning not to have heard from him. If you get this investigate the road to Semongkong, Dave. It might have changed a lot but was a very interesting part of Lesotho. Will follow!
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #17
rootsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Laugh

Time to send out the zebras!
rootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #18
K88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Getting worried

Almost four weeks since his last post. I hope he's OK.
K88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #19
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 170
Any news?

Has anyone heard from Dave? Drifter?
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #20
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer: 1,844
wow ,yes lost in space

or was it Lesotho or even down the coast ,thanks for the concern guys ,now lets see what happened ,first up thanks to errol and nancy for putting up with me for a few weeks ,they gave me a great insight into how nice the people are here ,not to mention the kilos i put on with nancy's awsome cooking ,even DR klr up in walkerville for introducing me to brandy and coke ,,headed off into the morning from bethlehem heading for the promise of a great ride in Lesotho here is the big green hippo in its final form and Doctor KLR's place in brandy country

Nancy and Errol seeing me off into the sunset ,well morning anyways
I asked Errol about the lions in Botswana and if i break down near a bunch of them, his reply was just stand on the other side of your bike ,oh and don't run ,they might eat you, with that thought, I was off

attack minature doberman

there were more passes in Lesotho than you could poke a stick at ,i swear you could read the writing on the planes ,i was that high up

oh yeah the usual again bike on its side

you have to be careful here, it doesn't look steep but a big rock on it's lonesome on the other side of the car saved this guys arse from something a lot worse than what you see

do you like my camp site ,the copper at one of the border posts let me sleep in a nice little corner

did i mention that it was cold ,see that stuff on the side of the road it aint there by accident it was a tad nippy ,i am glad for Captain KLR and his heated grips

didn't need no weed to get high here it was already dark and had a tad to get to sani pass lodge inn the cold and just a slight bit of rain to make it real

i arrived at the top of Sani Pass in the dark

the view the next morning ,i did enjoy a few bevvies at the highest pub in africa after ii thawed out

the hippo in its usual pose

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 07:03 AM
thecanoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #21
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Glad you are ok and the petrol tank on wheels is going well. I think that miniature Doberman was" in love" with you
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #22
jorrizza
newb

Oddometer: 69
Glad to see everything's okay. Nice photos by the way.
jorrizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:08 AM   #23
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

the only carnage i had in Lesotho was a flat tyre form when i happen to be observing the view and slammed into a rock at about 30 kph ,went half over the bars ,but managed to stay upright ,i think it must have been then that i pinched the front tube, because about ten minutes later the front went a bit wobbly going down a hill and next thing, no air in the tyre, and the hippo was all over the place in not the best of places, managed to slow her down and stay upright, but it i think the first front flat i have had in a long time

nice girl at the Lesotho border post, she earns 150 rand, $16-18 bucks, for a 14 hour day

Lesotho is a beautiful place and well worth the effort to get there

so now its on to the coast below Durban
i took a lot of small back roads to get there mostly farming and forest roads ,but a very pleasant ride
i ended up in port St Johns

Port Saint Johns is known to be a bit of a hippy hang out, and I ended up at a hostel that fitted the bill exactly ,bob marley on the sound system 24 /7 ,every member of staff had dreadies, and if you like smokin weed, this is the place to be ,so anyway, after a quick joint or 2 i got into the swing of things and went off for a canoe trip to the beach down a shark infested river,the town used to be a great surfing place but the sharks there are very friendly ,so not really much good for surfing these days

this is about when i tripped over a log and twisted my ankle,there was swearing and that is the end of me on the bike for a spell,i did ride the next day and heade for a place near port alfred where there was a hostel ,it had closed down but lucky for me Burt owns a KLR and let me stay ,i could not walk when i got off the bike and next day they took me to the hospital where i was waiting for a while and got some pain killers and antiinflams

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 06:29 AM
Old 06-20-2013, 03:11 AM   #24
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

back on the road again

i ended up having nearly a week off spent between Port Albert and Kasouga on the coast ,i swapped my noisy pipe with Burt for his stock one and went back to quiet , the bike now feels a bit restricted but at least it's quiet ,so thanks to Maya,Burt and Chris at Kasouga for the hospitality and Angela for the nursing in Port Albert

i have a gopro set up on the front of my bike to take i pic every 60 seconds and have been having all sorts odf dramas with that switching off on regular basis ,sometimes after 30 seconds sometimes after a couple of hours ,i am hoping to link that together in a video ,but have already missed some good parts ,i upgraded the software on it and made a few changes on the wiring setup so i hope its ok now
i heade of to jeffries bay to check it out as my mate worked there for 9 years i had to go surf the supertubes

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 02:23 PM
Old 06-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #25
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

heading for Baviannskloof

I met up with a few guys who had done the Baviaanskloof on saturday ,they road up from Knysna and gave me a few pointers ,they headed off back home on sunday morning in the rain ,I,on the other hand am a pussy and stayed put in J Bay for another day and left on monday morning ,it is a great ride through there , it was a bit wet in places from the sunday rain and there were a few high creeks to cross and some slippery bits ,as it is a bit of a canyon and not much sun in places ,saw plenty of interesting wildlife on the way

the scenery changed dramatically from one minute to the next ,sometimes dark and overgrown lush and green,next out in dry open rocky country ,nice and slippery

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 07:04 AM
Old 06-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #26
sunbeamtim
n00b

Oddometer: 12
hey

Davo , hope alls good , where you hitting Europe ? when ? Ballpark
sunbeamtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #27
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

hello Timbo

at the rate of progress i am making I'd say around november 2017
Old 06-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #28
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

so anyway back at the ranch

I ended up coming back on to the black top just before Uniondale which seems to be an old farming area as there were some really nice old green and white farm houses scattered about ,i met a guy in Uniondale and he seemed to wonder what the hell i would be doing out in the middle of nowhere ,the road from there down to Knysna was awsome, and included the world famous Angies G Spot, i managed to get caught in Knysna, as Karl, the backpacker owner, was an aussie bike rider i met in J Bay, and he put on a Brie for us ,i even got a new heineneau tyre off him, that he did not need, for a good price

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 11:40 AM
Old 06-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #29
sonnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Nice ride and pics, travelled through Baviaans last year April, its just wow. Where you off to next?
sonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #30
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

heading for cape town

a few km out of Knysna there is a turn to the right back up into the hills through De Hoek and some nice tracks coming out in George and then headed down towards Mossel Bay

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 02:38 PM