User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #31
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 173
Great report

I'm just back from riding in the sticks of Washington State, USA, and glad to see you're alive and well and posting again, canoeguy. I'm enjoying your postings from my ex country and Lesotho - many thanks. When you reach Cape Town make sure to ride the peninsula via Scarborough, and also the road NE of Gordon's Bay along the coast towards Hermanus. Happy travels!
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #32
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer: 1,837
offthe track

I decided to give Mossel Bay a miss and continue on towards a small village called, I think Veesbai, which had some nice roads, then on to Gouritssmond, still too early to stop and not much going on, I pushed on to a track marked on the map and also coming up on my gps to stilbaii,this track was beautiful and followed the beach ,after about 20 km there was a gate, it was not locked so i understood that to mean i could go through ,there was a resort of some sort that was deserted and looked to be closed down, so i kept going along the beach road til i came to a light house, and another gate, this one locked, by this stage it was getting dark and the cabins right along the beach looked inviting ,i found one unlocked but empty so this looked good for a home for the night

this was the ocean view from the balcony ,luckily i did stay in here as it pissed it down all night

the next morning the skies were grey with a slight drizzle ,and i thought i woulfd have to back track a lot of km ,when i went back and had a look at some of the other buildings in the closed up resort, i saw a tar road that led me back out onto the small track that got me through to stillbai , i then stuck to the small raods through lovely rolling hills, mainly farming , i ened up stooping at a ferry at Maigas that was getting some repairs done so chatted to a local lady who had never moved more that 20km in all her 62 years ,her dad used to run the ferry which was manpowered

these gus loop there chain around the cable and walk ,then unloop go back and do it again

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 12:25 PM
thecanoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #33
Wheelman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Awesome trip you having bud. When you land in Capetown, I'm on the south side near a place called Glencairn if you google it. Give me a shout and i'll buy you some lunch. Weather is okay for the next few days too!
Wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #34
drifter696
It's "lekka" to live

Oddometer: 7
Slow guy ...

Hey, seems like your going is very slow, getting sidetracked often ... or is it off tracked ...
but damn, your typing is even slower !!!!! Come on man, we'd LUV to keep up with you ! Let the fingers do some writing while you take on the Brandy's.

Hehe ... man how's that weather down in the Cape !

Keep the wheels rolling, Dave !
Old 06-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #35
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

Eh? howzit going errol

yes i am a biit slack on catching up on the details ,and are you still going to join me , i did not find a number plate is lesotho ,do you have any from there lying around , i have replaced the motor in the KLR ,with pedals ,thats why so slow ,but i am saving a fortune in petrol
Old 06-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #36
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

after the ferry

stayed on the small farming roads until i got to Strussbai and bought some better straps to hold my spare tyre on on got myself some nice lunch from the supermarket , most supermarkets here have a good selection of good cooked food to take away, you know like roast ,with veges ,carrots ,peas ,not fried crap i packed it on the bike and headed to Cape Aghulas for lunch at the most southerly place in Africa

I guess this makes it the big 4 1. Nordkap, Norway in 2005,2.Prudhoe Bay in Alaska in 2006 3. Ushuaia in Argentina in 2009 and Cape Aghulas ,South Africa in 2013
Old 07-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #37
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

on to cape town

so after a nice celebration lunch i wanted to head for a little town on the coast before Joburg called Rooiels,

it was still iffy weather and i found a backpackers listed on my GPS ,again some pisser small dirt roads to be had on the way,from Stamford it was mostly on the coast ,and man wow ,what a road ,it makes the Great Ocean Road in Oz look only OK,

I got to my destination around 5.30 pm just in time for the rain to start and to find out the backpackers had closed down and it getting dark,so i continued and got drenched before i could put on the rain gear ,I eventually found a place to stay at Simons Town but was frozen and soaking wet, the place i stayed was a round house with ensuite and a heater for R ($22 aussie) so thawed out nicely but had noodles for dinner ,i managed to make a great little rack above the heater and my soaked gear dryed out nicely by morning

i then heade dfor the Cape of good hope which is the windiest place in Africa and the most south west

mind the edge

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 03:47 PM
Old 07-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #38
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

Hey Wheelman

made it here to Cape Town ,actually a bit settled in ,i had lunch at the fish and chip place on the jetty at Caulk bay the other day ,great feed,and even bought a huge snook to take home for R40
Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #39
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse

Oddometer: 394
Ok, I've caught up now, so carry on Dave
Old 07-04-2013, 03:41 AM   #40
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,158
Love you're work
bend27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:58 AM   #41
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

this is my work ,lol

i am in Cape Town for a few weeks ,its such a great city ,not at all what i expected, I have been building a pizza oven, so should be ready for a pizza by monday night i reckon ,will post some pics around town

not sure what this little critter is

Nelson Mandellas room on Robben Island for 18 years
Old 07-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #42
sonnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Question

Its called a Dassie or Rock Hyrax, sort a a flee ridden rat that lives in the mountaines rocky outcrops

You making a pizza oven in a "braai" barbeque, weather not that good this time of the year but enjoy
sonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #43
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

they never used it as a brai ,they have a big drum for that ,so i figured to make it useful ,,just have to wait for it to dry out a bit now , i can taste the pizza already,mmmmm

this is kaulk bay

Old 07-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #44
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
You picked some lovely spots to park the bike and snap a few pics....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #45
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,449
Hooked. Any chance for some sections of route maps from the GPX crumble trail?
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote