User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 02:17 AM   #106
Crossed-up
Pangaman

Oddometer: 18
So things look up. Excellent!

With you being an Australian, I have to be careful when I say we're all rooting for you. At least we're wishing you the best.

I've enjoyed your report so far, and sorry I didn't meet you when you passed through Cape Town.
Crossed-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #107
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecanoeguy View Post
Good news is that RICOR are sending me a new shock , i might get a job in their test team , oh and GOPRO are replacing my camera , and actually sending it to Africa , not making me wait 3 months, so all in all a good day following a bad day
Great support by Ricor and GoPro. Looking forward to more pictures. Those ones of the kids in the river etc reminded me of SA last century....so much action....... and that river crossing is a classic. Hope there are some smooth roads before the new Ricor.
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:14 AM   #108
sunbeamtim
n00b

Oddometer: 12
Keep rolling and keep those pics coming Davo .Looks like your best trip yet .Grounded in Europe for the forseeable , so will try to rob a bank and hook up when you get up this way .Welcome here for R&R .
sunbeamtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #109
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer: 1,847
back top this report, after i crossed the river ,i had a nice 2 hour ride on a fairly fresh road made by the chines , , this helps the locals i guess , but what is on the ose roads but mining exploration camps set up to fleece them of there minerals , they are getting as bad as the aussies , i arrived at Mpulungu and found an awsome campground run by an indian hippy , all the buildings were stone , very cool place , i had a few days to wait for the MV liemba so just relaxed and did some work on the hippo
this is on the road to Mpulungu , bit smokey

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 04:25 AM
thecanoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #110
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

Fuck

I just did a whole section and the fucking computer shut off , bugger 1 hour down the drain
lets try again
this is the Hippo getting loaded onto the MV Liemba

This boat has been sunk 2 times and been on Lake Tanganyika for 100 years , pretty sure it's the sister ship to the African Queen,the villages on the lake use it to ship there goods out and bring in there needs

the big white bales are full of dried tiny little fish

selling pineapples

there were 2 french chicks doing a doco on the boat , the Hippo will be on french television

the trip was on the longest lake in the world 2nd deepest and holds i think 17% of the worlds fresh water

not quite the worst toilet i have had to use

the trip was well worth the effort to do ,a woman gave birth just up the cooridor as well to make it more interesting

i felt a little guilty having a cabin

Old 09-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #111
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
Great stuff, keep on, keeping on

Sent from the basement. Hey Ma more meatloaf.
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:19 AM   #112
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

well the boat had to get to port at some stage so after a nice few days it was time to unload and pay the hefty $2 port charges in Tanzania and find a place to crash , i ended up at the local lodge , had to do a tricky trials ride up the stairs to get in , this is leaving

the good ole draggin jeans have served me well through 80 ish countries and needed a trip to the local tailor

here Robin , I am drinking safari lager

heading north to Burundi , i wasnt there very long as it is tiny , i am not sure where they stack nearly 10 million people , but you can ride through in a day or so, this is where my shock blew

A nothern shot of Lake Tanganyika , just a few of the fishing boats

with no shock just a spring it bucked around a bit at speed , so it decided to highside me into a prickle bush , over 30 prickles , uoch , i guess the prickle bush may have broken my fall as i still had a sore wrist ,and may have been worse

a local transport company

high in the hills , i got a bit lost seeing my GPS stopped working , my paper map was a bit average

this was like talcum powder

if you ever wondered where Yorkshire tea comes from ,look no further than here

its a bit blurred ,but i got my Burundi number plate from these guys (i collect a number plate from every country i go to)

I got to the Rwanda border too late and was lucky to get this fine hotel room for $3 , some would say i got ripped , but it was a bed

Next time you think you have a tough job ,try this one , a gravel maker , from bigs rocks to this with a HAMMER

welcome to Rwanda

I felyt at home they have stacks of gum trees planted all along the roadside , some look like they have been there a long time

more rice

this is why i will never die of old age, haven't had a burger for months

I am in Kigali for a few days and they actually have an arts festival on ,i went to see some amazing singers last night and doiung the same tonight , i visited the Genocide memorial here and there is 250,000 of the million killed in 94 buried there , pretty sombre experience and you just wonder why
Old 09-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #113
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 469
Hi Dave,

This is bloody inspiring stuff. Can I ask, what do you do with the bike when you're in a town for a few days? I assume you don't ride it everywhere, so do you keep it in your room or chain it up and take everything off of it or pay someone to keep an eye on it???

Dave (chainsaw).
Old 09-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #114
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

Hi dave
all of the above , most places all have fuck off big fences around them and guards on the gate , sometimes i just ride them into the room, did you team up with Magnus again for your 2nd safari , are you planning more
Old 09-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #115
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Hi dave
all of the above , most places all have fuck off big fences around them and guards on the gate , sometimes i just ride them into the room, did you team up with Magnus again for your 2nd safari , are you planning more
Nah, did the second one with my Dad and a mate. I was going to do this years, but funds and time ran out. Definitely 2014 though. Pretty keen to do more motorcycle travelling, have been doing a bit just in Australia, but you're making me think. You've gone the KLR for both your big trips now - is that because you're familiar with them, or is it the best bike for the job? Tossing up between that and a DR650, favouring the latter because its air cooled, but interested in your opinion....
Old 09-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #116
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

hello dave
i have never had any issue with the watercooling on a klr and i have 3 of them,(Safari tank will protect the radiator as well as give more range) yet ask around about DR gearbox issues, my mate just did his gearbox on a trip which in turn fucked the rest of the engine, i like the KLR, super reliable and you can get all sorts of accesories for them , bit of an underdog in oz , but have a look in the states, the budget travel bike of choice

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 10:17 PM
Old 09-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #117
Crazydog
aka Andy660

Oddometer: 20
Beadbreaker Video

Quote:
hello boys, my fine tools are neither of these 2 , i will post some pics, they are south african i think ,and they aren't cheap at $80 USD R800 , but what they do is get the bead broken with no effort what so ever , and that is with a heidenau ,and they are normally hell to break the bead
the ones i have are similar to the motion pro bead pro
http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/11/09...ers-tool-time/

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-...-1&keywords=mo
here are the ones i have
BEADASTER VIDEO

http://youtu.be/RWH3PRgjOKM
email me if you would like a set
accentgt8@gmail.com

R800 South African Rands
Crazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #118
drifter696
It's "lekka" to live

Oddometer: 7
KLR in Africa

Hi Dave. Glad to see you still going strong. Have you sorted out the issues with the bike ? What was the problem in the end, was it fuel related or wireing ? I cannot believe they tried to rip the wires.
What are your plans further ? Are you going to leave the bike somewhere in Africa or try to get to Europe before you fly back ?
I'm enjoying the report and the way you are doing the trip off the main roads. Keep it coming and ride safely. Cheers !
Old 09-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #119
Crossed-up
Pangaman

Oddometer: 18
Question Search party

So, when do we send out the search party?
Crossed-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #120
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

Hello all
I am in Malawi high in the hills at a cliff top lodge called the mushroom farm waiting for my shock to arrive , I did have a fair old ride here on the bouncing hippo , most of it on Tarmac unfortunately , I did have an interesting evening just south of the Uganda border in Tanzania , I was trying to cover a few miles so decided to try to make it to the next town , it was around 9 pm and I had just passed an oncoming truck so dipped my lights . I was doing around 80 kph and up pops an army roadblock , with no hope of stopping I ram through this gate at about 35 I guess , I knocked over the support drum which had a a Kerosene lantern hanging off it , it went flying , I went flying, the grass caught on fire , 2 soldiers race over with AK 47's pointing at me laying in the dirt , I am like "easy boys muzungu here , they are yelling and trying to put out the fire , I am worried about my bike which was upside down and leaking fuel next to a fire , in the end it was about them wanting cash for the damage , I had nothing but some Malawi kwatcha , they eventually sent me on my way , the hippo bent the headlight and broke the mirror , night driving is not recommended

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 10:17 PM