User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
JREDDING OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Pls help - Rough idle and unknown plug

New to me 2011 f800gs, 9k miles. Just got a few months back.

Here is my issue...I ordered the power controller and installed it as per instructions. At the same time I added some star tron enzyme fuel treatment into a practically full tank. Today it was 60 degrees (warmer than usual) and I noticed the bike kind of sounded like it wanted to stall. I jumped on it and rode to work 45 miles, no problems. After work I started it and then noticed a real rough idle while leaving the parking lot (85 degrees). It actually died on me twice and I had to keep the rpms up around 2k to keep it going...once fully warm, she ran fine. I removed the power controller but that made no real difference, still seems like it is trying to load up. Once running, it seems to runs fine. Then I noticed a plug connector that is not connected...I can't find another plug? Does it go to something? Seems weird the fuel additive to be the problem child? Thoughts? It has ran 100% the last few weeks. I have searched all I can but can't find any answers...pls help.

Edit
or spoiler alert - bad gas was the issue. Controller is currently on and working awesome. Techron and fresh gas...purring like normal. Unknown Plug is for original powerlet. PO disconnected and hard wired a powerlet in its place to run more volts. Read on for more info if you like.
End edit

Thx

JREDDING screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 07:13 PM
JREDDING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,489
I think that connects to the power plug in the cover that you have removed to take the photograph. Shouldn't have an effect on engine performance.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
JREDDING OP
Adventurer

Powerlet plug

I found a picture and deduced that as well. My bike has a powerlet wired directly to the battery so the plug I was questioning, I never removed. It was removed by previous owner. So rule out unplugged electrical issue. My plan is to run it to work tomorrow and see if I can empty the tank and get fresh gas in it without the power controller (remove it from the equation).
Old 04-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,677
Sounds like plugged injectors to me. If they are really plugged, then treatment wont work. But I would try a dose of techron.....and see what happens.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
JREDDING OP
Adventurer

I did not have any issues until I added the star tron/controller. Issues are spuratic. i took for short ride and seemed to idle fine. turned off the bike and restarted...idled rough again. So then I disconnected the battery for a few minutes to reset any settings I could (if that works). Will run remaining gas out tomorrow and start over with fresh tank.

Would a plugged injected be under warranty?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
QuidProMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
My first guess would be fouled plugs from whatever was in the tank. Change plugs and fuel filter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
QuidProMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #7
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuidProMoto View Post
My first guess would be fouled plugs from whatever was in the tank. Change plugs and fuel filter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Fuel filter? It is in the tank and attached to the pump and is not easy to access.
Fouled plugs? Then why would it start so easily?

I have no idea why you added the gas additive, however, your idle air controller could be playing up, these can stick from time to time.
Disconnect the power contoller you added, get some fresh fuel in there, and you will likely see some improvement. Then you can hook up your power controller once again.

Changing the plugs is a pain in the arse on these bikes, you will spend a fair amount of time just removing the body work, the battery, and the air box, just to get at them. Next, you will either need a lot of patience and strong fingers to gently get the coil stick plug boots off, or you will need the $25 tool to pull the coil sticks (other methods can result in damage to the coil sticks and those are expensive, use a screwdriver to pry them and you'll bugger the edge of the coil stick, forewarned).
You will need a thin wall socket to remove the plugs. If you use a socket with too thick of a wall, you will end up jamming it in and then you won't be able to get the socket out, then you are really screwed. If you are not sure if your socket has a thin enough wall, be very patient and very careful when you go to try to unscrew the plugs.

As for the fuel filter, it is part of the fuel pump and is called a "strainer", it costs about $60 bucks and attaches to the bottom of the pump. If you want to pull your fuel pump, go ahead, but you'll probably find it isn't worth it without getting some fresh fuel and leave the fuel additives or cleaners alone. I've heard about the Techron thing but never done it.

Before you get in too deep, just get some fresh gas in there and take it for a good run. And reconnect that powerlet socket, you might want to use it for charging a phone or something, it is next to useless as the amp threshold on it is so low you can't do more than power a GPS (there is another cable for that near the airbox, by the way) or a cel phone charger.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,875
If it were MY bike

So, it's been running fine and now you're trying to mod it and now it runs like crap. Sometimes we don't readily know the answer so we take a few steps back. Newer bike, low miles and under warranty, K. Disconnect your boosters/controllers voodoo magic stuff. Now you're back to baseline. Still idles bad? Based on your description I'm blaming fuel. Your filter will be fine unless something really abnormal happened. It starts so the plugs are good enough and a scream down the highway is easier and a more fun way to clean them. So, you just added fuel treatment and the tank was full. I'm thinking either the additive is f'n things up, maybe too much put in? It happens. Maybe you got a bad tankful? I've seen two bikes both refuel at the same nozzle then 10 miles down the road, one bike quits and they have to double up on the other. I removed over a litre of water from the quitter's bike.

Start with the simple stuff, drain the tank and see if any water/crap comes out of the siphon hose. Put in fresh fuel and hit the highway. Small amounts of water will blow through causing a minor hiccup at speed but will greatly affect idle. Try the techron thing (I have no experience there) then when it's running fine again, reconnect your controller magic and see how it affects things. If you end up needing a warranty claim, best remove the controller. Some Dealers don't care, some really do. They may disconnect it saying it's the prob then bill you.

Always start with the simple things. Not like someone I know who disassembled his chainsaw cause it wouldn't start. Hours later he discovered no spark. It was turned off.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
If you suspect water, sometimes you can use a gas line anti-freeze product if you live in an area where it is available. This has been known to work for small amounts of water.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
JREDDING OP
Adventurer

Update:

I started it this morning (no controller) and it idled smooth. Drove till empty as possible without getting stranded on way to work. Filled up with hi octane gas. Drove another 35 miles and once at the office I left her sit and idle to see if it would hickup. No issues. I want check on way home before I start thinkinig it is fixed with just fresh gas. I know if water was in there, I did not get it all out with running the tank low, but a fresh tank should help, if it is water.

Will report back with ride home update. Thanks for all the suggestions upto this point.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREDDING View Post
I started it this morning (no controller) and it idled smooth. Drove till empty as possible without getting stranded on way to work. Filled up with hi octane gas. Drove another 35 miles and once at the office I left her sit and idle to see if it would hickup. No issues. I want check on way home before I start thinkinig it is fixed with just fresh gas. I know if water was in there, I did not get it all out with running the tank low, but a fresh tank should help, if it is water.

Will report back with ride home update. Thanks for all the suggestions upto this point.
Now is the important part to add 1 oz of techron for each gallon of fuel. It is a cheap, and proven to me ....and many others.... method.

Erling
Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 1,042
Just a new BMW owner hearing things. Ride it!
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,462
Laugh

I always buy the expensive gas (Shell , Exxon, Chevron) high octane and try to run my bike at least every two weeks... keeping the fuel and injectors flowing...
Old 04-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
I always buy the expensive gas (Shell , Exxon, Chevron) high octane and try to run my bike at least every two weeks... keeping the fuel and injectors flowing...
I gassed at Shell in Williamsburg,NM ( Truth & Consequences,NM) last week end, along with my fellow rider on his KLR.
Mine quit 4 times on the 120 miler home, and his KLR ran, sputtering, all the way home. Next morning, mine started on one cyllinder, and ran on one for 3 minutes, where after both injectors fired. Evac'ed all the gas out.... Did not see anything. Fresh gas with Techron.... No problems since. I have seen this excact thing many times when gassing at shell. Must be crappy ethanol, so I stay away from Shell.

Erling
Old 04-12-2013, 12:53 AM   #15
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Take your battery terminal off. Leave it overnight. Then reassemble and go ride. Maybe your computer needs to remap. The same thing is done when you add a manga flow exhaust to a truck. This allows the computer the ability to remap easier, as was told to me by the boys at the performance shop.

Try this, maybe the same for the bike, as the item you added screws with the fuel mixtures. I added a power commander and is makes the fuel mixture rich and makes it less choppy on low end of the throttle curve. I did the advice above and all is well with my F800GS

Nacho