Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Pismo Joe OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
KTM 990 Oil leak question / missing bolt?

I posted this over under Gear/Garage and was suggested best to be here instead, so apologize if you saw this there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismo Joe View Post
My new KTM 990 that has few miles on it has a oil leak. Noticed a puddle on ground this morning when I went to install new Touratech skidplate. Removed screws at front of existing skidplate and dropped it to find a nice mess. Some pics are attached here. I am thinking culprit is improperly tightened oil plug. Bike has not had an oil change yet still 200 miles from that. So had to have occurred at assembly? Or maybe culprit is what appears to be a missing bolt. See last pic.

Any one have an idea about if it's the drain plug or the "missing bolt"? I am cleaning it all up now and will see where new oil starts to leak.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 2,865
That's not a missing bolt. I believe that hole is used for a fixture to hold the motor when it is out of the frame. As for the oil leak, start with checking the tightness of the oil filter and oil screen covers. If you're not sure, clean it really well and then ride it around without the bash plate and look for early signs of leak and where it's coming from.
'04 R1150RTP "cop motor, cop suspension.."
'00 XR650R Dual Sport "Lil' Mule"
'75 RL250
'01 TTR90
'01 PW50
Conti TKC80 tire swing

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.

"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
Use powder

I remember reading somewhere on this great site that a good way to locate a leak is to first clean the suspect are really well, the dust with talcum powder (something like cornstarch would probably work too), run the engine, the powder will absorb the small amount of oil and - voila!
Never tried it but it sounds logical. Good luck!
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,431
There is also an o-ring behind the gear shift sensor (Located behind the sidestand) that is difficult to pinpoint at first as the oil drips down behind the sidestand and it appears that the case might be leaking or something. I have replaced it I think 3 times now and the bike has 40,000 miles on it. It is a common thing that just eventually goes. It is like a .25 part and doesn't take a long time to fix. I keep one in my misc parts kit now.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,522
UV Dye.

Just get the dye and the light, add some to the oil and fire up the bike.

Make sure to get everything good and clean beforehand.

Let it start and idle for a while see if it leaks, if not go on short rides and then check for the leak.

This is the easiest way to find a leak with so many places it can come from.

If your in LA (no idea where you are located) bring it over I already have a pint of oil with the UV dye in it so easy enough to check.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Oil filter hex plug too loose? the one in the last photo? Just torque all your drain bolts to spec per the manual, clean all that up spotless and ride it without the skid plate. Most likely something loose or perhaps a bad O ring.

FYI on my first oil change my oil filter O ring was smashed up in one spot. No leaks though, as I had to reuse it (for now).
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,859
Whilst looks like it coming from underneath the engine - don't discount the oil pressure switch. Common place for oil to leak from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,780
DONT overtighten the oil filter cover bolts, think they are just M4, small at least and just call for 6Nm of torque!

The hole you are showing is just a hole through the engine good when making a crude engine stand.

Talcum powder as suggested earlier is great when locating oil leaks.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,859
Mine used to seep a lot in that area. I found that with age my oil filter screen cover leaks. I could probably replace the O-ring, but I'm lazy and cheap. I just put axle grease on the O-ring.

Numerous things in that area can cause leaks. The neutral sensor has been known to leak. In addition, the seal on the shifter shaft can wear out and leak. A leak like that can also come from above. The oil pressure sensor is known to leak, the valve covers can leak, and the base of the cylinders can leak on older bikes.

The best, cheapest solution in finding a leak is powder. Make sure everything is tight and relative clean, and then spray powder all over the area. Run the bike for a a few minutes. Any leak will reveal itself right away. You can use all sorts of powder, including spray-on foot powder or just talc. Sometimes it's hard to get the right amount of talc in the right spot, but you get the idea.
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson "Who am I? Why am I here?" Admiral Stockdale.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brad.horn.9
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
UV Dye.

Just get the dye and the light, add some to the oil and fire up the bike.

Make sure to get everything good and clean beforehand.

Let it start and idle for a while see if it leaks, if not go on short rides and then check for the leak.

This is the easiest way to find a leak with so many places it can come from.

If your in LA (no idea where you are located) bring it over I already have a pint of oil with the UV dye in it so easy enough to check.
You must be an AC or Refer mechanic. Great idea because it will pin-point a leak.
HeatXfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
You must be an AC or Refer mechanic. Great idea because it will pin-point a leak.
Nope just spent too much time trying to find hidden leaks when this approach is foolproof and very quick.

Dont bother with powder, etc.

It just plain works, tells you exactly where the leak is and looks cool making the bike all glowy under the UV light.

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
Masa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
No one can tell for sure from the pics, but to me it looks like the filter housing drain plug is leaking. To get that dripping, like it's doing in the pic, would need lots of oil on the sump guard, if it was coming from somewhere else.

BTW, why there's a drain plug in the filter housing?
Masa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
pdxmotorhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
LOL,, it originally was probably to reduce the oil mess during the oil change.. Bwahahahahaha! I think they missed by || much..

Dave
Old 04-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
Pismo Joe OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Thanks for all responses. The leak is at the oil filter cover. The shop mailed me an o-ring, will do the replacement of that after I go get some oil.

RE: That "missing" bolt, my first guess (wrong) was it was a missing main case pinch bolt. Second guess was that it was used as a mounting point for an engine stand when out of the bike.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismo Joe View Post
Thanks for all responses. The leak is at the oil filter cover. The shop mailed me an o-ring, will do the replacement of that after I go get some oil.

RE: That "missing" bolt, my first guess (wrong) was it was a missing main case pinch bolt. Second guess was that it was used as a mounting point for an engine stand when out of the bike.
If you lay the bike on it's side, you won't lose any oil while swaping the o-ring :)