Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
LaurentM OP
Laurent

Oddometer: 22
KLR in the USA

Hi everybody,

I am looking for a KLR650.

I am a Belgian citizen and resident but I'll spend 7 weeks in the US now and 2 months in Summer. The goal is to tour the country.

I have a BMW 1150 GS that I was planning to ship but the guy told me yesterday "do you mind if it arrives a month after you?". Luckily we don't easily have access to guns in this country ...

So, plan B is to get a good second-hand bike fast. The KLR seems pretty obvious. It wouldn't break my wallet and it would let me explore things that would be a pain in the butt with the GS (I took it to the Sahara and everything seems light and nimble by comparison).

I am looking around but if anyone has an idea, I'll buy them a pint whenever I am in the area. Since my girlfriend will join me for parts of the trip I'll need luggage (she has been spoilt with the GS - she could almost take her entire wardrobe).

To complicate things, I have to buy in a state where it's possible for a non-US resident to title, register and insure the bike. In some places all you need is an address. My girlfriend is American and I could buy in her name but she is in DC. Her parents are in Ilinois. I could use their address if necessary.

I could buy a new one but I'd lose too much when selling the bike. It's possible that I'll decide to keep it and ship it to South America but that's another story.

Cheers, be safe,

Laurent

Be reasonably safe !
LaurentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Fly in, rent a Goldwing and see the country, it's only money and in the long run may not be as expensive as all the hassle you would go through, buying, selling, ins, etc.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Train an has a pretty good idea but if you are set on buying one they are plentiful depending on the state you intend to buy. Check out Craigslist.org in Whatever city you want. Also bikes for sale here and on KLR650.net
Old 04-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
LaurentM OP
Laurent

Hi Train, Thanks for the suggestion. I did consider renting but for almost 4 months, it will be about five times as expensive.

As to the Goldwing, well, the big GS offroad already stretches my abilities. If someone can do that with a Goldwing, I'll get them a CRATE of beer. Or even a barrel !

Cheers !

Be reasonably safe !
Old 04-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,671
Don't want to state the obvious but...did you try in ADV's Flea market under bikes?

Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Check out bikefinds.com. You can get a list of many KLR that are for sale on Craigslist and e-bay on it.
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
LaurentM OP
Laurent

Thanks for the tips.

I have found a few ads and sent a few emails. Arizona looks like a good place to look. It will be an interesting experience, that's for sure !

Be reasonably safe !
Old 04-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 551
Non-residents can register vehicles in California with no problem; you don't even need a California address (a guy I sold a bike to was even able to use a Canadian address). Better still, only the title (which you don't need until you sell it) gets mailed--the registration slip gets handed over the counter and the plate stays on the bike. It can be cheap, too--you only pay sales tax and $15 transfer fee, and you get to keep the time left on the registration.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,151
cheapest and most relaxing way of doing this would be to buy and sell after the trip

honestly you can get almost and cruiser, dualporpuse bike, etc...for 2k...

get cheap insurance with address as mentioned(thats all they really care about) register in your name briefly and then sell for what $500 less at the end of your trip?

anything to do with renting or borrowing or using with someone else almost always bites you in the ass...

very biased opinion I know but ive done it with boats so I dont see why you couldnt do it wuth a bike

plus you have the great feeling of actually owning the bike yourself and not feeling you have to report to someone or be extra careful or not scratch it up etc...or liabilty, blah blah blah...

if you are a safe driver or can prove it...insurance is what like $20 a month?

anywhoo

good luck man!
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
non-residents can register vehicles in california with no problem; you don't even need a california address (a guy i sold a bike to was even able to use a canadian address). Better still, only the title (which you don't need until you sell it) gets mailed--the registration slip gets handed over the counter and the plate stays on the bike. It can be cheap, too--you only pay sales tax and $15 transfer fee, and you get to keep the time left on the registration.
word!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,937
Seems like you can buy a KLR and then sell it at the end of your trip and not lose any (or at least very little) money out of the deal. Sure you will have to pay for registration, and maintance but...

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/3731770695.html
http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/mcy/3700269623.html
http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/3703071107.html
http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/3708274010.html

Good luck.
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:41 AM   #12
LaurentM OP
Laurent

Thanks for the links. A lot of good stuff indeed.

DerSaufer, that's really good to know. I'll look at ads in California.

I've also seen a 2008 KLR for 4900 USD. 6500 miles. It's pricey but the good thing is that it comes with everything I'd need. Panniers, reliability mods, tools, tubes, etc. Now a cultural question because that varies from country to country : do sellers expect you to bargain ? Here they assume that you will in increase the price accordingly

Be reasonably safe !
Old 04-11-2013, 04:45 AM   #13
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
I think the $4900 is way too high for a 2008. In the DFW area the 2008's go for around $3400 and how many do you want. The 2008's were known to have an oil burning problem, not all, but can you figure out which ones that do and which ones don't, the 2008's I would stay away from for sure, hard to resell. You can buy a new 2012 on the Dallas Craigslist for $5295 plus TT&L. If you want a quick resell after using it go with an 2007 or earlier model, these models never had an oil burning problem, plus these earlier models are the choice of experienced KLR 650's riders today.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #14
LaurentM OP
Laurent

Trainman, thanks a lot for that important piece of information. I have googled it and it seems that there is an issue with 2008 models. Even a boxer engine doesn't use that much oil :)

Be reasonably safe !
Old 04-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #15
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentM View Post
Trainman, thanks a lot for that important piece of information. I have googled it and it seems that there is an issue with 2008 models. Even a boxer engine doesn't use that much oil :)
SOME models do it, and its mostly from owners not seating the rings correctly by not riding the bike correctly the first few miles, so its not an issue on ALL 2008 and up models

4900 is crazy expensive for a 2008 no matter what it has.

like said before and those craigslist ads above and depending on your budget of course you can even buy new bikes for less than 5k...

you can sell at end of trip and you are good

since you are spending 7 weeks and then 8 more weeks in soon, just BUY a bike, store it and sell after the last trip

you will enjoy YOUR bike and trip a lot more and not be as stressed out about "renting"