Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #16
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I think the $4900 is way too high for a 2008. In the DFW area the 2008's go for around $3400 and how many do you want. The 2008's were known to have an oil burning problem, not all, but can you figure out which ones that do and which ones don't, the 2008's I would stay away from for sure, hard to resell. You can buy a new 2012 on the Dallas Craigslist for $5295 plus TT&L. If you want a quick resell after using it go with an 2007 or earlier model, these models never had an oil burning problem, plus these earlier models are the choice of experienced KLR 650's riders today.

John
I agree completely except for the fact that no 2007 model will ever be as comfy and better suited to road touring than a 2008 and up model

suspension, brakes, fairing, better lights and windscreen, rack, etc...all come on GOOD 2008 and up year models they are also heavier, a tad bit lower and dont get BUFFETED by wind as much as the lighter and more dirt oriented 2007 and down model which resemble the classic dualsports of yesteryear

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #17
LaurentM OP
Laurent

Oddometer: 22
All good points, ElSalvador. But I haven't found a new one for less than 5000 and then you get the sales tax, this, that and the other. In the end it's 6000-6500.

I won't get the best deal from another continent but am ok with that. I'll be in DC next week and I'd like to be somewhere with a bike under my butt the week after that.

I have also seen a 2009 model with 4000 miles. 4000 USD. Completely stock. But I have soft luggage that I use on my XR400.

So, either pre or post 2008.

I don't mind that the new model is not as good offroad. In my experience, when you are on your own, the priority is to not crash, so you tend to be more careful. Besides, compared to the GS, everything feels light. And compared to the Enfield that I rode in India, I am sure the KLR is overpowered !

Be reasonably safe !
LaurentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
[QUOTE=elsalvadorklr;21160058]SOME models do it, and its mostly from owners not seating the rings correctly by not riding the bike correctly the first few miles, so its not an issue on ALL 2008 and up models

/QUOTE]

That is not correct. There was a piston and ring design change by KAWA initiated on the 08 model into 09 that was the cause (Inadequate ring to cylinder wall pressure). It had nothing whatsoever to do with the rider or break-in process. KAWA eventually repaired many of the 08's that did have this issue and changed the ring design.

The pre 08's also, in a few cases, had a piston design issue where the lands betwen the rings could break causing oil usage - the reason for the 08 ring design.

Both ring issues can be easily resolved.

Craigs list is a good place to find KLR's.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #19
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

[QUOTE=Tsotsie;21162028]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
SOME models do it, and its mostly from owners not seating the rings correctly by not riding the bike correctly the first few miles, so its not an issue on ALL 2008 and up models

/QUOTE]

That is not correct. There was a piston and ring design change by KAWA initiated on the 08 model into 09 that was the cause (Inadequate ring to cylinder wall pressure). It had nothing whatsoever to do with the rider or break-in process. KAWA eventually repaired many of the 08's that did have this issue and changed the ring design.

The pre 08's also, in a few cases, had a piston design issue where the lands betwen the rings could break causing oil usage - the reason for the 08 ring design.

Both ring issues can be easily resolved.

Craigs list is a good place to find KLR's.
I said not on all models, there was a cutoff date or change in the 08 production line some were affected some not...yes kawa changed them officially at one point

I had an 08 zero issues...

not the point for the op is it? the point is an 08 can be perfect, for what he is looking for for the reasons mentioned above

cheers!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

[QUOTE=elsalvadorklr;21162194]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post

I said not on all models,
cheers!
El Sal,
English may not be your 1st language. Model usually refers to model year - ie 06, 07, 08 .... or the pre 08 and post 08 designs. You, I see now, were meaning individual bikes within a model/year.

The impression easily arrived at and which was also gained by Laurent (and many others), is that all 08's have an issue - which they dont.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #21
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

sorry!

but this is exactly right!

I was thinking in spanish and typing in english

now im confused! jajaja

in the end I "think" we now understand that 2008 and up YEAR bikes dont ALL suffer from bad rings, some yes some not, and I think especially now say a 2012 or something most definitely does not...

I wish LAURENT most luck as klr´s are the BEST budget travel bike on this planet!

I would set my budget at $3500 for a GOOD used 2008 and up klr650. and sell for 3k or a bit less by the end of both trips...

cheers guys!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #22
uraberg
whosaberg?

Oddometer: 689
This is on my local craigslist: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/3727050178.html

Seems pretty much ready to go, but I have to admit I have no idea if this is a great value. I'm not too far from DC, and I could help out with titling, address or whatever you'd need.

Behalve als je een Waal bent. Dan help ik niet.
uraberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #23
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
I agree completely except for the fact that no 2007 model will ever be as comfy and better suited to road touring than a 2008 and up model

suspension, brakes, fairing, better lights and windscreen, rack, etc...all come on GOOD 2008 and up year models they are also heavier, a tad bit lower and dont get BUFFETED by wind as much as the lighter and more dirt oriented 2007 and down model which resemble the classic dualsports of yesteryear

cheers
I have to disagree with the 2008 and newer models being lower.
My 99 sits lower than the Gen II KLRs.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #24
LaurentM OP
Laurent

Oddometer: 22
I guess that not every 2008 KLR has a serious oil consumption problem. That would be very bad and dealers wouldn't be able to utter their favourite sentence "it's the first time I have heard about this issue" (I think that some manufacturers organise special sessions to teach dealers how to keep a straight face while saying that) .

But I'll heed the advice and focus on earlier and later years.

Uraberg : ik ben geen Waal en ook geen Vlaming, ik ben uit Brussel :p

Be reasonably safe !
LaurentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #25
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentM View Post
Uraberg : ik ben geen Waal en ook geen Vlaming, ik ben uit Brussel :p

Julle mense moet 'n ordentlike taal ook praat! Welkom heet!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #26
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
I have to disagree with the 2008 and newer models being lower.
My 99 sits lower than the Gen II KLRs.
less GROUND CLEARANCE and feels lower

man you guys are on a hunt!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #27
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Boston KLR

A lot of miles, but seems like a good deal
http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/mcy/3727692581.html
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #28
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Just be aware that most bikes you find on Craigslist will need a lot of work and maintenance before you could take them on a long trip. When I buy a used bike it usually takes me about a month to get it in good reliable working order. I have found a lot of problems that were not bad, but would have become disasters if not found and fixed first. Most KLR's have been abused, and by the time you replace the tires, tubes, chain, battery, do a full tune up, valve adjustment, and any repairs, you will have probably spent a lot more time and money than you had planned.

I prefer the '07 and older models myself, but they are getting very hard to find in good condition. I keep hearing about the oil burning problem on the '08, but have no firsthand knowledge of anyone actually having that problem.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #29
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
less GROUND CLEARANCE and feels lower

man you guys are on a hunt!
Not on a hunt.
But yeah, it's weird that the Gen II has lower ground clearance but a higher seat height.
It doesn't make sense to me.
But I'm also easily confused.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #30
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80909

This one is available in Texas

For Sale or Trade for DRZ 400 S

2003 KLR
38,xxx miles
658 kit installed @ 38,xxx miles
6.6 gallon IMS fuel Tank
Upgrade Brakes and SS Brake Line on front
Cogent Rear Shock
Race Tech Imulaters and front fork brace
Sprung for Big Guy with luggage
Russel Day Long Seat
High Bend bars with heated grips
Modded Fairing and Windshield ( very good airflow )
Very recent chain and sprockets, clutch, tires
Many other goodies to make bike comfortable and dependable!

Full disclosure Speedo does not work ! Odo still works and is accurate but needle broke off speedo.

Bike is located close to Sulphur Springs in NE Texas.

No Chrome!

I bought this bike with 9,000 miles on it and have been building it ever since. The suspension,and brakes were upgraded maybe 5,000 miles ago.
I was building the bike for a big trip in the Boonies last year. I had a carburetor problem and while chasing the problem burned up the top end. Because of time restraints I bought another bike with all the goodies already on it. Now this one is extra.

$3250 with nearly new Scotts Damper

The speedo has been fixed. The steering head and all the linkage bearing have just been greased. It is very comfortable and ready to ride anywhere!
I would probably be interested in buying it back when you get through with it.

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote