User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #31
stevemersey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hi, from another from the Versys forum.

Really enjoyable and interesting report, I need that sun too after a cold winter.
stevemersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #32
jbar28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Glad to see you made it back to the tarmac and had a good day, also.
jbar28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #33
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T View Post

I usually travel with my girlfriend and/or with my mates, but this time I'll go alone because I feel the urge to do a long solo ride – it adds another dimension to the adventure when you only have yourself to rely on.

Nice report!!

I'm just comming from Morocco: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875921

I've got the same feeling: next time I like to do a long solo trip as a new experience. So reading your and Jim report I'm more and more convinced.
Morocco again??

Thanks!

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #34
Don T OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemersey View Post
Hi, from another from the Versys forum.

Really enjoyable and interesting report, I need that sun too after a cold winter.
I really enjoyed using the Versys forum, but stopped when I sold my Versys 3 years ago - It's good to see the old members from there here on ADV.
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #35
Don T OP
Bike Addict

Day 10:
Dait-Erroumi (Morocco) – Murcia (Spain) - 890km.

I got up before the sun and soon after I hit the road.

I took the highway (for the first time in Morocco) most of the way to Tanger MED. It was interesting to see how the Moroccans use the highway – just like any other road with people walking along and across.

I arrived at the port at 10am and little more than an hour later I was on a ferry on my way back to Algeciras where I disembarked 2 hours later.

Ready to board.

Goodbye Africa:

Hello Europe:

Being back in Europe feels like coming home, but I still have +3000 kilometers to go, and this journey is far from over yet.

From Algeciras I headed northeast using the bigger roads but stayed off the toll roads.
At first I follow the coast of the Mediterranean then I turned inland across the mountains. It was primarily roads with big sweeping curves where I could do 100-140 km/h.

As the time zone in Spain is +2 hours related to Moroccan time it soon became late in the day, and I started looking for a place to stay. The first places I came by were booked and not until 9pm when the sun was setting did I arrived at an Ibis hotel that I had located using my GPS. It was a nice place with good rates and they had a free room for me.

After a quick shower I went down to the restaurant and ordered an Ibis burger and a cold beer. The burger, where the bread was replaced with fried potatoes, tasted fantastic - even more so because it was the first food I got since a morning croissant in Morocco – some times when the riding is good I forget to stop and eat.

It has been a looong day and I’ll sleep like a baby tonight.

Don T screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 05:26 AM
Old 04-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #36
MustTourEurope
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
This will make a nice story-telling under Roskilde skies :-)
Good you're riding the dream...
MustTourEurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #37
Wal2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
how are you finding the Vstrom for this ride,..... , i was at Suzuki dealer last week checking on a test ride on one......
Wal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #38
Don T OP
Bike Addict

I'm bit behind with an update, but last night I didn't have wifi and tonight I'm staying at a friends house and have spend the evening talking and drinking.

Stay tuned.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:08 AM   #39
Suhir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Thumb

Hi Don T.

Nice to hear a god and very interesting ride report from a fellow Danish biker!
Old 04-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #40
Don T OP
Bike Addict

Day 11:
Murcia (Spain) – Lodéve (France) – 950km.

I woke up to a strange sound – rain against the windows.
Beside a light drizzle for half an hour the first day, this was the first rain on the trip so far.
The days ride started on damp roads and for the first couple of hours there were a few showers.

Like the day before the route was primarily wide 2-lane roads following the Mediterranean coast and crossing through the hills/mountains inland.

Before noon I had crossed the border to France. The weather got better and the roads smaller/more interesting.

It turned out to be a nice but rather uneventful day of riding.

At 8.30 pm I arrived at a nice hotel in a charming small town.

After unpacking the bike I took a stroll around town to stretch my legs and find something to eat. I ended up buying a sandwich and a beer that I brought back to the hotel, to enjoy on the roof terrace.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #41
jbar28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Nice of them to put your sandwich in a labelled bag, just in case you mistook it for the beer. Glad to see you're doing well, greetings from Toledo, Spain. Also rainy, and COLD! Will have to look up the D900 and see where you went.
jbar28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #42
Don T OP
Bike Addict

Day 12:
Lodéve (France) – Cortebert (Switzerland) – 680km.

The aim for this day was to get to a friend’s place in the Jura Mountains in Switzerland.
I let the GPS pick the route setting it to take the fastest but avoiding toll roads.
The result was a very scenic route on small winding roads devoid of traffic.
The speed limit on these roads were 90 km/h but just to maintain an average speed of 60-70 km/h made for some very entertaining riding.

Occasionally I passed through picturesque mountain towns.

During the afternoon it started to rain in earnest and when I finally arrived at my friends’ house it was good to get of the bike and into a warm house with dinner and beer waiting for me.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #43
Don T OP
Bike Addict

Day 13 - rest day:

When I woke up this morning it was pouring down and the temperature was only 5 degrees outside.
As the weather should continue like this all day, I decide to leave the bike in the garage and wait until the next day to continue my journey back home.

The Strom taking a well deserved rest in the garage next to my friends' brand new ER6n:

As I hadn’t seen my friend for a long time we had a lot of catching up to do and spend the day hanging out at her house, doing a short hike in the area and visiting the nearby town – by car.

Normally I don’t find riding in a car all that appealing but in this kind of weather and after almost 2 weeks of riding my bike 8-12 hours a day, I really enjoyed to be warm and dry in the passenger seat looking out at this:

Late in the afternoon I heard music outside the house. It turned out to be the annual carnival parade going through the village.

At the moment my only company in the house is 2 cats, as my friend has gone to the airport to pick up her husband, who is returning after a week's yacht sailing off the coast of Turkey.
He’s a really nice guy and I’m looking forward to saying hello to him tomorrow morning over breakfast before I hit the road.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:01 AM   #44
Don T OP
Bike Addict

Day 14:
Cortebert (CH) – Dennmark (home) – 1120km.

When I woke up in the morning it was even colder than the day before – only just above freezing. When I looked out the window I could see snow covering the trees only a few hundred meters up the mountain side.

Cold weather or not, I wanted to get going, so after breakfast I dressed up in all my warm clothes, said my goodbyes and headed north.
The first part of this day’s riding was through the Jura Mountains on nice roads. Even though it was cold, I enjoyed being back on the bike and on my way home.

After I crossed the border to Germany I took to the Autobahn. The rest of the day I was hauling ass getting some miles done. I only stopped to refuel every 2 hours or so and late in the afternoon after having covered 1050km in 9 hours I rolled aboard the ferry to Denmark.

A fuel stop on the autobahn

On the ferry - last break before home.

2 hours later I pulled up in my driveway where my girlfriend greeted me with a hug, a kiss and a cold beer – I felt good to be home.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #45
Andyflex
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hey Don T! Tak for turen, det var spændene at være med, velkommen hjem.
(Saying thx for the report and welcoming him home in our native language:0)
Andyflex is offline   Reply With Quote