User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #46
Motardhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Awesome report...thanks for sharing.

I'm looking forward to reading your gear reviews and overall review of the Wee for this trip.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #47
Radzz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Nice report thanks for sharing:-) i hope one day I'll get a chance to try a similar trip!

Sendt fra min GT-I9100 med Tapatalk2
Radzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #48
Don T OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 454
Eek Looking back on my first live RR...

First of all I would like to thank all of you who has follow me on my journey - especially those of you who took the time to give me some feedback

This is the first time I've done a RR while still on the road and it was a surprise to me how time consuming it is - especially the picture part.
First you have to sort through the pictures from the day, transfer them to a computer, do a bit of editing and then finally upload them to a photo sharing site (I use photobucket).
A lot of the places I stayed on this trip had a dodgy internet connection - at best - which often made uploading pictures a very tedious affair "upload failed - try again".

It was usually late in the evening before I even started on the days report as there was so much else to take up my time. When I finally got to the writing part it was very late and I was ready to hit the sack.

The result is that looking back on the posts I'm not happy with the quality of my story - it's to brief, lacking depth and reflection.
The real loss in this context is that the report does not give an adequate picture of how amazing this journey was - a lot of interesting/thoughtful/funny episodes during the day never made it into writing.

This is not an attempt to apologize for how my RR has turned out or to make you say "No, no it's great" - I'm simply sharing my thoughts.

In the future I'll do the RR when I get home and have plenty of time to sort through my pictures and spin a tale that I can be proud of

No more thoughtful stuff for now - next up is the promised reviews of gear and what I think about the V-Strom after a long ride...
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #49
Motardhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T View Post
The result is that looking back on the posts I'm not happy with the quality of my story - it's to brief, lacking depth and reflection.
I will say from someone who is not usually patient enough to read long winded ride reports, and enjoys looking at pictures...I liked the brevity and lack of depth in your posts. They were simple and to the point with just enough to put the pictures into context without being overly wordy.

So again...great ride report.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #50
Radzz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
No..no..it's great. ..:-D
Seriously though maybe you could do a rewrite and a more in depth report, kinda like a Morocco revisited the edited clips.

Sendt fra min GT-I9100 med Tapatalk2
Radzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:35 AM   #51
mart´n
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
There are both pros and cons for writing a RR like you did. I like both long and short RR´s, so I´m not the one to give you any good advices

In the end, all that matters is that you are satisfied with the outcome.

I really enjoyed it. It was easy to keep up with, nice pictures and some cool thoughts.
However, I am also looking forward to hearing more about your journey, how the strom did and some of the funny incidents you surely experienced.

Good job, and thx for taking us along, and what an impressive amount of miles you put on that thing.....maybe a keeper
Old 04-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #52
AlexDK
XTZ 750

Oddometer: 3
Very nice RR

Hi Don T,
very nice RR. It was good reading and inspiration as my brother and I are planning a trip to Tunis. I know Tunis isn't Marocco, but your RR is still inspiring to a fellow Dane, sitting at the office and dreaming of new adventures.

Glad to hear that you and your Strom is back in Denmark just as the weather is getting summer-like
AlexDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #53
Don T OP
Bike Addict

Riding gear.

My riding gear for this trip and how it performed:

Vanucci VTB 9 boots.

They are softer than real enduro boots, which make them very comfortable for both riding and walking. The protection is at least on par with other good street-motorcycle boots but not as good as heavy duty enduro/mx boots.

The softer and more flexible soles make them good for walking and most kind of riding, but not ideal for real off road when standing on the pegs all day - for that you'll be more comfortable with a stiffer sole.

Before I left on this trip I was a bit concerned if they would prove too warm for my riding in Morocco. This turned out not to be the case - they felt comfortable under all conditions and proved to be 100% water proof.

Finish and leather quality is not on par with the best boots out there and as a result, I'll give them a total rating of 8 out of 10

HELD Torno pants and Carese jacket.

This is a shell-kind of motorcycle clothing - an abrasive outer shell with built in level 2 protection (knees, hips, elbows, shoulders, back) and removable goretex liner - but no thermal liner.

Fit and finish is second to non - this is clearly a top end product.

Every detail is well sought out - e.g. the front closure of the jacket use magnet and velcro instead of buttons and the pockets has just the right location and size.

Of all the good things I have to say about this suit, its warm weather ability's (with the goretex liner removed) is what really sets it apart. There are ventilation openings EVERYWHERE - 8 in the pants and 12 in the jacket. Besides the ventilation both pants and jacket has "Coolmax" liner. I don't know exactly how it works but together with the ventilation openings it makes the suit cooler and more comfortable in warm weather than it has any right to be - I find it even more comfortable than riding in mx pants and a body armor.

How comfortable it is in colder weather all depends on what you wear under it - the suit itself will not keep you warm.

The goretex liner kept me 100% dry even after several hours riding in pouring rain on my way home. The 2 biggest pockets in the jacket is lined with goretex and are also 100% water proof - I used them for my wallet and my papers.

After 9.000km in all conditions and can't think of one bad thing to say about the gear from Held or anything I would like to change - I rate it to 10 out of 10!

SHOEI XR 1100 helmet (named RF 1100 in the US) with clear visor and photocronic pinlock.

This is not an adventure-style helmet but just a normal integral helmet.

I've had it for 3 years now and love it - the fit is perfect for my head, it's relatively quiet and it has the best ventilation I've ever experienced in an integral helmet - only when it was really hot or the going was very slow, did I feel the need to open all the ventilation (7 in all).

For this trip I used a clear visor with photocronic pinlock (gets tinted in the sun) - it doesn't get as dark as the dark tinted visor I normally use but dark enough that I never felt the need to use sun glasses when riding.
It's nice with a visor that works both in bright sun light and at night.

I have to rate this helmet 10 out of 10.

2 sets of RICHA leather gloves - 1 Warm/Water proof and 1 short/vented.

I've not much to say about the gloves except that they performed well and it was great to be able to switch gloves depending on the weather.

Don T screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 03:01 AM
Old 04-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #54
jamrol
DesertDude

Oddometer: 6
Jealous!

Looks like a fabulous trip! I have been to Spain and into Gilbralter, but never crossed the Strait to Africa. Wish I could have joined you!

You give me a lot of confidence to really stretch it out on my 2012 Suzuki DL-650!
jamrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #55
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
First of all I would like to thank all of you who has follow me on my journey - especially those of you who took the time to give me some feedback
Thanks for taking us along with you. I for one enjoyed living vicariously through your journey to Morocco.

Quote:
This is the first time I've done a RR while still on the road and it was a surprise to me how time consuming it is - especially the picture part.
First you have to sort through the pictures from the day, transfer them to a computer, do a bit of editing and then finally upload them to a photo sharing site (I use photobucket).
I've done both and some hybrids (some updates from the road, then more stuff or finish it after you get home). For those following the journey, it is fun to be able to tag along "real time" as you travel through different places, but I agree that due to the time constraints the RR doesn't have the depth it would have if you wrote it with more time. Given that you always tell us how much vacation you have, then maybe you should have taken more time to take the trip, so that you'd have more downtime days to write as you travel?

I'd still be happy to see more pictures added here, with your thoughts on the places you visited, even if it's after the fact. Plus, that'll give you an incentive to sort through the hundreds of pics you took rather that just file them.

Glad to see you made it home OK and it was a successful trip.

Cheers,

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #56
jbar28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
This is the first time I've done a RR while still on the road and it was a surprise to me how time consuming it is... The result is that looking back on the posts I'm not happy with the quality of my story - it's to brief, lacking depth and reflection.
The real loss in this context is that the report does not give an adequate picture of how amazing this journey was - a lot of interesting/thoughtful/funny episodes during the day never made it into writing.
All very true. I have similar feelings, thinking of lots of things I wanted to include but forgot at the time, and now it seems awkward to add back in. But I also like the immediate feedback of doing it live, the feeling that a few people know where you are and might even care. Certainly a trade-off.

As for your thoughts on the bike, you've already got my friend Pete thinking of buying one!

Looking forward to seeing the video when you have time to edit it all. In the mean time, enjoy home.

Jim
jbar28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #57
RonInFla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Pictures

Great pics !
RonInFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #58
Don T OP
Bike Addict

You are welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
Thanks for taking us along with you. I for one enjoyed living vicariously through your journey to Morocco.

I've done both and some hybrids (some updates from the road, then more stuff or finish it after you get home). For those following the journey, it is fun to be able to tag along "real time" as you travel through different places, but I agree that due to the time constraints the RR doesn't have the depth it would have if you wrote it with more time. Given that you always tell us how much vacation you have, then maybe you should have taken more time to take the trip, so that you'd have more downtime days to write as you travel?

I'm not good at taking downtime when I'm on a trip - I easily get restless if I don't ride everyday.
I was not in a hurry to get home from this trip as I don't have to be back at work until Thursday next week

I'd still be happy to see more pictures added here, with your thoughts on the places you visited, even if it's after the fact. Plus, that'll give you an incentive to sort through the hundreds of pics you took rather that just file them.

I don't plan to make outright additions to the existent RR, but I will make a summary of my impression of how it was to travel in Morocco on a bike.

Glad to see you made it home OK and it was a successful trip.

Cheers,

Gustavo
Old 04-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #59
Don T OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar28 View Post
All very true. I have similar feelings, thinking of lots of things I wanted to include but forgot at the time, and now it seems awkward to add back in. But I also like the immediate feedback of doing it live, the feeling that a few people know where you are and might even care. Certainly a trade-off.

As for your thoughts on the bike, you've already got my friend Pete thinking of buying one!

Looking forward to seeing the video when you have time to edit it all. In the mean time, enjoy home.

Jim
There will be a video sooner or later, but don't hold your breath as it will take some time to produce something worth watching - time that I don't have at the moment.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #60
Don T OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDK View Post
Hi Don T,
very nice RR. It was good reading and inspiration as my brother and I are planning a trip to Tunis. I know Tunis isn't Marocco, but your RR is still inspiring to a fellow Dane, sitting at the office and dreaming of new adventures.

Glad to hear that you and your Strom is back in Denmark just as the weather is getting summer-like
Let us know how the trip to Tunis goes - I for one would love to read a RR.

After 30-40 degrees in Spain and Morocco, 10-15 degrees here in Denmark doesn't feel very summer-like, but it sure is nice spring weather