User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
trial OP
Bananas in pajamas

Oddometer: 4
Question Road legal trial bike

I am not looking for a top of the line bike i just want something that is road legal and is decent enough on the trails ? any suggestions ? feel free to trade pics
trial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by trial View Post
I am not looking for a top of the line bike i just want something that is road legal and is decent enough on the trails ? any suggestions ? feel free to trade pics
Any dual sport made in the last 25 years or so fits that bill. CAre to be a little more specific about your planned riding?
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
trial OP
Bananas in pajamas

Question

yeah man no worries ... i was really just going to use for getting around mostly on third class roads with a bit of driving through fields. but as regards to the trial part just getting over rocks or boulders or tree stumps a bit of obstacle riding really any ideas ?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 735
Just my toughs here...

Having had the chance to ride one, if I was going to go trail bike that is a trials as possible used and able to go over things I think I would go with a pampera.

gas gas pampera:

Other options might be (would need a state willing to let you legalize the bike and willing/able to get lighting speed-o etc. done yourself)

Scorpa long ride:

montesa 4rt seat/tank:

jonnyc21 screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 06:16 PM Reason: image link failed
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
trial OP
Bananas in pajamas

hey man that really does help out alot ... any ideas what the pampera is like for gas ? :)
Old 04-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
You do know this is the trials section, not trails? Common mistake. Switching the "a" and "i" around makes a huge difference in what you may be looking for.

Confused what a trials bike is? Take a look at other threads in this section. The "what did you do with your trials bike" thread should be a good generic one. 100+ pages of general trials bike info.

I don't know of any trials bikes built in the past 20 years that are street legal. Somewhat depends on the state you are in as well (in AZ you can get just about anything plated, but that alone does not necessarly make it legal). If you go back to the 70's you can find some bikes that were street legal.

Now if you are really after a trail bike that is street legal, might want to post the question over in the "thumpers" section. then get ready for a lot more questions to narrow it down. How big, how much street, how far are you going to ride, etc.

Hope that helps.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
hey man that really does help out alot ... any ideas what the pampera is like for gas ? :)
As in MPG? I can ask my friend what he gets on his if that's what your after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
You do know this is the trials section, not trails? Common mistake. ...
I think he posted here because we would know more about crossover type bikes like the Shareco X Ride, pampera, Gas Gas Rondone etc.

I admit that's a guess based on his comment. "...but as regards to the trial part just getting over rocks or boulders or tree stumps a bit of obstacle riding..."
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,631
Super vague thread is super vague.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Super vague thread is super vague.
Yep.

Trying to translate english into english. What is he really asking for?
I did my best to draw some lines in the fog.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #10
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
Yep.

Trying to translate english into english. What is he really asking for?
I did my best to draw some lines in the fog.
I still think he mistyped the tittle of the thread, otherwise he posted in the wrong forum!

I think he's after that mythical beast, like I had hoped the "Honda Reflux" would have been, back in 86, when it came out. Sadly Yamaha killed off the 2 shock bikes trials bike VERY quickly.

Plus it was too bad, honda never came out with aluminum swingarm "mono" shock version of the TLR-Reflux, like in 87... with alum rims and everything else fixed (like carb and aibox that could stand to run at more than 3/4 throttle up a hill... It could have been a neat Trials/Trail/Street freaking bike...

The Gasgas (96-99) Pampera model, was freaking awesome, I was going to own one, 2 years ago... But didn't fit the houshold budget (it was a 98 320 I had found) dammit I wanted that thing.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
trial OP
Bananas in pajamas

Talking

Dudes i miss typed the title my bad :( anyway as to what im looking for i have no idea .... i was just looking for a starting point for myself so i know what i want what i don't need its been taken care of now and am in the process of narrowing this down myself
Old 04-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Well that narrows it down to how hard is it to register a bike where you are at? With no modern bikes being 50 states street legal it comes down to being in a place you can register a converted bike (effectivly a street legal dirt bike conversion), or finding an older street legal 70's machine.

That would probably be the first step in determinimg your options. If there is no way to register an off-road bike in your location your only choice is an older machine.

FYI, in AZ I have a '12 Sherco 2.9 registered as street legal. Have to have insurance on it (multi policy discount makes it cheaper to insure then not to). Got the off-road tags and paid the extra $5 for the limited street tags. I can tell you that by no means is it street legal. About the only thing that would pass would be it has brakes. No lights, no horn, no mirror. But all that is mearly "fix it" stuff, the big legal stuff (registration and insurance) are legal.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #13
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
KTM 200 XC-W. I just picked one up. I have a Gas Gas 280 and had a Yamaha WR250. The KTM is right in the middle of those two bikes, it is like a trials bike with long travel suspension. Most of them come with a street legal title and with a little lighting work, can be made road legal.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #14
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,189
Quote:
Dudes i miss typed the title my bad...
I changed it from Trail to Trial. Hope this helps.
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote