User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
ipaulog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Raid Designs Vacuum Fuel Pump Kit

I'm doing some pre-summer preventive work on the 950 Adventure at the moment prior to a trip to Scandinavia. I have decided to change the fuel pump as it hasn't been touched before from what I can see and am
looking at this vacuump pump kit:

http://www.raiddesigns.com/en/produc...-pump-kit.html

Does anyone have any experience using it or a similar design?

PaulO
ipaulog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,061
Facet 40171

I run the Facet 40171. It's a solid solution.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aadvr...22+facet+40171
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,014
I had a Mikuni DFS21 Vac pump. It was okay but I had issues with Hydro Lock. Im running a Stock pump with a Dr Beans Kit and its great.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
ipaulog OP
Adventurer

I will certainly consider this as I have just found a supplier here in England. I had heard a few comments of the Facet pump failing too so what does it have over the original one - I know I'm being lazy by not trawling through all the previous threads!
I was thinking the vacuum pump spare diaphragm was an easy spare to carry and install on the roadside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post

Old 04-16-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
ipaulog OP
Adventurer

Thanks for this idea too. I'm just trying to find out the cost and availibility before I decide which way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
I had a Mikuni DFS21 Vac pump. It was okay but I had issues with Hydro Lock. Im running a Stock pump with a Dr Beans Kit and its great.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaulog View Post
I had heard a few comments of the Facet pump failing too so what does it have over the original one - I know I'm being lazy by not trawling through all the previous threads!
The Facet is pretty darn solid. I think all fuel pumps will fail eventually. I've found the Facet to be a pretty foolproof solution. It's also very easy to carry a spare in case the original fails while out on the trail. I've run my Facet for 10,000 miles, and I'll get around to buying that spare someday.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
trob6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hello there I have a mikuni DF52-21-D fuel pump which I have mounted behind the airbox so its nice and easy to get to, you have to do a bit of plumbing but it works great and the repair kit is tiny plus there is no electic involved and they use these pumps on light aircraft so id say they are reliable, Ive got a load of photos of the install but i cant seem to load them on here if you pm me your address ill sent them you , or im in the midlands in uk so if you are near i will show you
trob6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,014
Yup. and the DFS21 isnt expensive.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
ipaulog OP
Adventurer

I am indeed nearby so I'll pm and arrange to have a look.
Cheers, Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trob6 View Post
Hello there I have a mikuni DF52-21-D fuel pump which I have mounted behind the airbox so its nice and easy to get to, you have to do a bit of plumbing but it works great and the repair kit is tiny plus there is no electic involved and they use these pumps on light aircraft so id say they are reliable, Ive got a load of photos of the install but i cant seem to load them on here if you pm me your address ill sent them you , or im in the midlands in uk so if you are near i will show you
Old 04-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,731
I ran the stock pump for about 40k km and change it as everyone said it was going to fail. Put in a facet and it lasted 5k and quit. A little over 5 k on my second facet and thinking a vacuum pump is going on this season.
I've been riding snowmobiles that use them for almost 40 years and have never had one fail.
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #11
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post

+1

Simple install and has been stone reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
I ran the stock pump for about 40k km and change it as everyone said it was going to fail. Put in a facet and it lasted 5k and quit. A little over 5 k on my second facet and thinking a vacuum pump is going on this season.
I've been riding snowmobiles that use them for almost 40 years and have never had one fail.
I guess it happens from time to time?

I have not had a single issue in 10k miles.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #12
guglemonster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by trob6 View Post

is th pump above or below the fuel level at the lowest ??

you are rinsking a ropture of the petrol film when the level is below the pump thus killing the engine due to fuel starvation :)

we tried such a design with mikuni SV 650 pumps but at high rpm or when in need of real power on the 950adv the pump fuel flow was too low

have you had any of these probelm on your bike?

did you mount any filter before the pump?

thank you for the info

guglemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:32 AM   #13
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwik View Post
i had a mikuni dfs21 vac pump. It was okay but i had issues with hydro lock. Im running a stock pump with a dr beans kit and its great.
+1
Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
trob6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
In reply to gogglemonster post the pump is above the fuel level as its behind the airbox, I dont know what the second sentance means as it seems to be not written in english,the pump will deliver 35litres an hour which is more than the adv needs it will only starve it if the vacumn source is to weak so you have to be sure to get a good one( lots of threads on here about that) I have had no problems atall with the pump and a fuel filter always go in front of a fuel pump and I have fitted a fuel check valve after the pump as well to stop any potential hydro locking problems hope that helps.
trob6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #15
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
I really like the facet pump. CJ's kit is well designed and tested

http://www.dualsportwarehouse.com/CJ...D-FPK-ALUM.htm

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote