ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
luckyguy19 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Jemez Singletrack 2013

Has anyone been up to check out the Jemez single track? I was hoping to ride the trails off 144 in the next couple weeks, but I'm not sure if its still snow packed or closed.
luckyguy19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyguy19 View Post
Has anyone been up to check out the Jemez single track? I was hoping to ride the trails off 144 in the next couple weeks, but I'm not sure if its still snow packed or closed.
Closed and snowpacked...got a fair amount up here.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
luckyguy19 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Yeah, that's what I figured. We don't usually ride up there till the middle of May. Glad they have some snow pack. Hoping for no fire restrictions this year, but that's unlikely.
luckyguy19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
3pin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I am looking for some recommendations for places to ride in the Jemez. In the 90's I used to ride my mountain bike up there a lot. I just started riding motors again after 30 years and would like to get back up there.

My coworker lives in Los alamos and rides a CR250L. He wants to ride up 4 and come down the Dome road and meet me at Dixons. Can we ride Mediadia?

I saw Ridefreaks video a couple of weeks ago and it took me a while to figure out it was the Jemez, pretty devastated by the fires.

I appreciate any advice.

Robb

Plated 03 WR250F
3pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:13 AM   #5
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,528
The first thing that you need to do is to get your hands on a NEW trail managed SFNF user map. You will clearly see that almost ALL of the Jemez single track is now off limits. That is why there is a legal defense fund raising effort going on over on the NMOHV web site.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
3pin
Adventurer

Thanks, I will do that.

Plated 03 WR250F
Old 05-14-2013, 05:40 AM   #7
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,169
Here's a link to the New Mexico Off-Highway Vehicle Alliance NMOHVA website:

http://nmohva.org/main/index.php

The first item on our web page is an update regarding progress with our lawsuit against the SFNF-----this is a HUGE undertaking, and we could use your help, please consider spending the $20 to become a member of NMOHVA!

The second item is a story regarding our upcoming ride at the Sipapu Ski & Summer resort, this is a fund raising event to raise money for our Access Defense Fund. As I'm sure you know, there is a TON of singletrack to ride in the Sipapu area.

I have to place our T-shirt order for this event tomorrow, so give some serious thought to registering for the event and attending.

The new Motor Vehicle Usage Maps are available at R & S Powersports on Wyoming, by the way.

burque magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pin View Post
I

He wants to ride up 4 and come down the Dome road and meet me at Dixons. Can we ride Mediadia?

Anything out of Dixons and Mediadia are probably not happening in our lifetime.
USFS combined with the fires and it is a mess.

I heard from a bicycle guy that the trails up there are growing over and he wishes the M/C guys were back in to clear them. WTF? I'm sure he was all over this when the public comment period was valid.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,963
The new SFNF MVUM shows no single-track motorized trails in the South Jemez. Not one foot of motorized trail!
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
trailwerks
Missing Two Wheels

Oddometer: 220
Yep. The little bit of singletrack that was "left open" in the decision has all been closed because of the Las Conchas fire and its aftermath. The FS claims the trails are now "gone" and can't be rebuilt. Data/photos may show otherwise. We are going to hike the trails starting next week in prep for our next meeting with FS.
trailwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I heard from a bicycle guy that the trails up there are growing over and he wishes the M/C guys were back in to clear them. WTF? I'm sure he was all over this when the public comment period was valid.
Don't you love that. They say the same thing up here but they damn sure don't help us get access to the desert foothill single track that they can ride in the winter.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
3pin
Adventurer

Bummer about the Jemez.

Burque,

Thanks for the info and link. I will join when my wife gets off the computer. I won't be able to make it to Sipapu but thanks for the invite.

Robb

Plated 03 WR250F
Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #13
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailwerks View Post
Yep. The little bit of singletrack that was "left open" in the decision has all been closed because of the Las Conchas fire and its aftermath. The FS claims the trails are now "gone" and can't be rebuilt. Data/photos may show otherwise. We are going to hike the trails starting next week in prep for our next meeting with FS.

The FS did a fine job restoring FR 289 which happens to run very close to the trail that can't be restored.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #14
NMZens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I've been up Bland Canyon several miles and it is completly devestated. The steep section that was black rock is now a huge granite slab. All of the run off has gone unchecked, there is no road anymore after the first maybe 3/4's of a mile. Some smaller trail bikes could probably re-establish a trail and have a blast doing it, but it probably won't happen in my lifetime . It's a shame since it was so nice up there.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMZens View Post
I've been up Bland Canyon several miles and it is completly devestated. The steep section that was black rock is now a huge granite slab. All of the run off has gone unchecked, there is no road anymore after the first maybe 3/4's of a mile. Some smaller trail bikes could probably re-establish a trail and have a blast doing it, but it probably won't happen in my lifetime . It's a shame since it was so nice up there.
What did you take up Bland? Dirt bike or ATV? I've seen pics and it looks completely destroyed.

I used to spend a lot of time in Bland Canyon and at the ghost town of Bland. Huge loss of historic buildings and artifacts there. Very sad.