ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: When are you available to ride?
Saturdays 32 71.11%
Sundays 33 73.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #211
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,231
Heading back to Santiago Peak this weekend - either Saturday, June 8 or Sunday. Leave Hell's Kitchen at 9:30.

If you're riding with me this will be a putput - I'm going slow and may turn around to practice on some sections. Of course, if you are a faster (normal rider ), you are more than welcome, but I won't be seeing you anywhere except for the trailhead....

Post up if you want to go, which day is best and whether you're going to putt along or ride normally...

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #212
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

OK, plans change.....I'm not going on a trail ride after all this weekend.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #213
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Anybody interested in trying to set up a bike maintenance/repair clinic?

Geez, me again!

I posted this on another thread too:

In search of people who would like to learn things like: how to change a tire, maintenance (other than changing oil, filters and oiling chains), troubleshooting and other repairs/maintenance that someone who is experienced would know about it.

In search of someone who would be interested in being an instructor! Participants would pay a registration fee/bring beer/bring?

Anybody?

Old 06-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #214
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
Geez, me again!

I posted this on another thread too:

In search of people who would like to learn things like: how to change a tire, maintenance (other than changing oil, filters and oiling chains), troubleshooting and other repairs/maintenance that someone who is experienced would know about it.

In search of someone who would be interested in being an instructor! Participants would pay a registration fee/bring beer/bring?

Anybody?
Bring beer, I'll tell you what to do
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #215
Dune Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Tuesday Big Bear ride

Had a camping trip and ride planned for next week in Holcomb Valley but it fell apart so I am planning a day trip instead. Next Tuesday June 25, I am meeting anyone that wants to join in at the MacDonald’s at I15 and Hwy 138 at 7:30 AM. This is a noob ride that will end up at Big Bear area traveling thru Apple Valley up BLM roads to Big Pine. We will ride the trails around the lake stopping for lunch at Big Bear and ending back at I15 in the late afternoon. This is a big bike and noob friendly ride with five riders so far. So if you have the time join us for the ride.

Dune Rider screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 08:50 PM
Dune Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #216
emilio700
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
June 22-23 2013

So far, I have only ridden the forest service roads in the Santa Ana's between OC and the 15 (just got the 690). Hoping to link up to trails on the other side of the 15 and 74 for bigger loops. Anybody got anything planned for this weekend? I'm in Lake Forest. 20/80 tires, MT21's so I'm looking for mostly dirt, with as little paved transition as possible. Intermediate level.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #217
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune Rider View Post
Had a camping trip and ride planned for next week in Holcomb Valley but it fell apart so I am planning a day trip instead. Next Tuesday June 25, I am meeting anyone that wants to join in at the MacDonald’s at I15 and Hwy 138 at 7:30 AM. This is a noob ride that will end up at Big Bear area traveling thru Apple Valley up BLM roads to Big Pine. We will ride the trails around the lake stopping for lunch at Big Bear and ending back at I15 in the late afternoon. This is a big bike and noob friendly ride with five riders so far. So if you have the time join us for the ride.
I might be up for that - I'm supposed to leave for Canada Sunday morning, but I can't find my passport! So, I may have to wait another week to go.... I'll repost when I know for sure. Sounds like a good day

Old 06-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #218
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
I might be up for that - I'm supposed to leave for Canada Sunday morning, but I can't find my passport! So, I may have to wait another week to go.... I'll repost when I know for sure. Sounds like a good day
Screw passports, I'm outta here! Western states it is.....
Have fun in Big Bear.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #219
Dune Rider
Adventurer

Enjoy your adventure, I'll post future mountain rides later this summer. Unfortunately for most I like to stay away from the mountains on the weekends due to the crowds. I will report on the Tuesday ride next week.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #220
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Enjoy your adventure, I'll post future mountain rides later this summer. Unfortunately for most I like to stay away from the mountains on the weekends due to the crowds. I will report on the Tuesday ride next week.
Until early August Tuesdays work for me, then its back to school. Can hardly wait for the deserts to cool down this fall.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #221
Dune Rider
Adventurer

Tuesday Ride Report

We couldn’t have picked a better day for weather and light traffic on the mountain for a ride. The riders were current or retired HS teachers that have the summer off. We started at McDonald’s at I15 and Hwy 138 at 8 AM and rode east on Hwy 138 thru Hesperia and picked up more riders prior to going up the mountain. The route we took was on Bowen Ranch Road to 3N14 to Big Pine campground.

After a short break, we rode thru Holcomb Valley and on to Big Bear City where we ate lunch at Thelma’s Restaurant. After lunch and refueling, we rode up to Bear Mountain Ski Lift to connect to the Skyline Drive trail for the loop that ends back at the lake. The views from the trail were spectacular and the air was cool and clear.

The next part was on pavement where we rode the Rim of the World hwy section to Lake Gregory where we took a break at a small coffee shop. We then rode down to Silverwood Lake on to Hwy 138 and ending back at McDonald’s at 6 PM with 135 miles on the trip odometer.

The Big Bear area offers many opportunities for trail riding during the summer months and with this area so close to most of us in the SoCal region it is a great place to ride till the desert cools down. One can ride there and find new trails to explore every week for all skill levels. Should any one want to set a ride up just PM me and we will see what we can do.

Break on 3N14

Big Pine Campground

Skyline Trail
Old 06-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #222
Dune Rider
Adventurer

No Photos

Will try to figure out how to include photos.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #223
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,433
Quote:
Will try to figure out how to include photos.
You have to host them to a site like photobucket or smug mug. The copy and paste the URL here.

https://www.facebook.com/sanpedrotod...553939993449:0
Old 07-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #224
emilio700
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Sunday July 21 Miller OHV-Big Bear - Miller

First time on a dirtbike in this area. Ridden Holcomb Valley on the mountain bike a few times. I have no idea if the roads on my linked route are accessible/open or what they look like. From google satellite view it looks like mostly maintained fire roads. Looks like there is a bunch of different ways to get to Big Bear.

Starting from Miller OHV staging area at 8:30am. Rough plan is Miller- Big Bear. Lunch then ride back down to Miller. At least that's what I'll try to do unless someone else shows up with better knowledge of the area.

Click the 3D button. Gotta love google.

http://goo.gl/maps/efvSm
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #225
jeepdude65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
So far, I have only ridden the forest service roads in the Santa Ana's between OC and the 15 (just got the 690). Hoping to link up to trails on the other side of the 15 and 74 for bigger loops. Anybody got anything planned for this weekend? I'm in Lake Forest. 20/80 tires, MT21's so I'm looking for mostly dirt, with as little paved transition as possible. Intermediate level.
Send me a pm next time you want to explore some trails. I live in Mission Viejo. Weekends only work for me at the moment.
jeepdude65 is offline   Reply With Quote