ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

Oddometer: 48
Phoenix: Hello and need some info

First post and I'm hoping to kill a couple of birds with one stone.

I'm Jake and I live in north west Phoenix and in Prescott (on some weekends). I have about 15 years worth of pavement riding, a couple years of quad riding and a few years of extreme mountain biking, but no real dirt bike experience. I just picked up my first dual sport (WR250R) and have really been enjoying it. I've got a 1000 miles, 1 high side wreck and a new set of handlebars on the bike so I now consider it broken in.

1st: I've been a lurker for a while and finally signed up so I thought I should say hello and thank you for all of the advice and assistance you (the ADVRider community) have unknowingly provided already. Seriously, THANK YOU!

2nd: I'm looking for people to go riding with that are nOOb friendly as well as places to ride. I plan on signing up for the Off Camber Motorcycle Club nOOb ride on April 28th which is a start, but thought I'd throw out a line and see what I catch. I'm especially interested in riding roads / trails that connect phoenix to Prescott.

3rd: If anyone has any free time and can help me set up my suspension it will be rewarded with eternal thanks and many beers!

I know I need to set up and adjust my sag and I know the mechanics of how it gets adjusted, but truth be told I know shit about setting up and adjusting suspension properly and I can't sit on the bike and measure it at the same time. I'm not looking for someone to do the work for me, I'm looking for someone to teach me how to do the work myself "the next time".

Also, if anyone reading this knows the WR250R well enough to tell me where I should set my fork and shock adjustments to start with I'm . I'm wanting to set the bike up to handle well in medium speed rocky stuff and I don't mind giving up on road / smooth dirt performance for better handling in crappy stuff. I'm 220'ish fully geared up, the bike has a Devol 1" lowering link (came on the bike from the guy I bought it from and I don't have the original link so can't reverse it, but I do need the lower height anyway so....), the forks are raised in the top clamp 5/8" and I'm on the stock Death Wings until they wear out. I run them at about 10psi front and 12psi rear off road (even a few psi higher in the front makes it want to wash out constantly).

Like I said, thanks for all the help already and I look forward to meeting / riding with some of you guys!

7164 screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 12:19 AM
7164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,311
There are numerous routes to connect the NW valley to Prescott and most of them are great routes, some are more difficult than others. Lots of rides come out of this area just keep an eye out on the board for someone posting up a ride that is not too difficult. As for setting up the suspension I could help you out with some measuring but I really don't know much about it, as I always seem to have someone help me. Shoot me a PM with your contact info, I will be around some this weekend.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,249
I owned a WR for a bit and it was the first bike I invested some real money in suspension work. It was well worth it. Find a suspension guy there in PHX and buy a steering damper. Those two things will make riding much more enjoyable.

And, if you haven't done it yet, replace the stock tires as well.

ps - Don't ever fall for "big bike friendly, back by noon" when a ride is described.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
utefan
03'XR650R

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post
ps - Don't ever fall for "big bike friendly, back by noon" when a ride is described.
Oh my hell that is funny
Old 04-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
There are numerous routes to connect the NW valley to Prescott and most of them are great routes, some are more difficult than others. Lots of rides come out of this area just keep an eye out on the board for someone posting up a ride that is not too difficult. As for setting up the suspension I could help you out with some measuring but I really don't know much about it, as I always seem to have someone help me. Shoot me a PM with your contact info, I will be around some this weekend.
Sweet, thanks! Ill take all the help I can get and i find that the blind leading the blind usually ends up more interesting. Im heading north for the weekend, but ill be around all next week and ill shoot you a PM later tonight.

Do you have any knowledge of the N El Paso Gas Line Road that runs from Lake Pleasant north to Black Canyon City ish? Not sure why i want to ride that so bad but I really want to. Maybe its because i can see it while Im super slabbing the 17 to Prescott and wishing i was on it.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,700
If your running stock springs the best thing you can do is replace them with ones that are meant for your weight.

This alone will be a huge improvement everywhere when riding, and this is with stock valving.

Springs would run you about 300 front and rear.

Take your weight add 40lbs for gear and that is what you use to determine what you need.

I cant tell you how many new riders I know that complain about the bike and what a difference this one change will make for them.

It puts the bike within the proper stroke of travel for the shocks when you get on the bike leaving more of it to absorb bumps etc when they occur.

Simply put this is the best thing you can do for the bike before anything else to improve the ride across the board.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

emerson.biguns & DSM8:

Thanks for the advice. Getting the suspension sorted out by a pro is something I want to do once my wallet heals a bit from the initial purchase. Hopefully I can get it to "as good as stock is going to get" status with a little help.

emerson.biguns:

Having owned this bike before do you have any suggestions for tires? I see the 606 rear and MT21 front seems to be a popular combo. I use this bike to commute to work most days and its about 20 miles each way mostly on freeway. I honestly don't have a problem with the stock Trail Wings for road use but want something with more bite (especially the front!!!!) for any dirt but I don't want to waist my good for the dirt tires on the highway......Hmmmm.

Anyone have any input on if it would be an issue to swap the rear 120/80-18 for a 100/100-18? I happened into a nice 1999 TT-R 250 right after I bought the WRR and it is wearing a Trackmaster in that size. The front and rear on the TT-R are "not for highway use" and are practically new so it may be worth spooning them back and forth if the different size rear won't create and issue.

How about the rims/hubs on the TT-R? Anyone know if the entire wheel(s) would be able to swap back and forth between the two? Sure would be a lot easier to change a couple rotors and a sprocket than spooning tires.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,249
After running 606s on the rear I eventually moved to the MT43 trials tire. The MT21 on the front seemed to work well. I find the most difficult riding here in the desert is rocky climbs and the MT43 seems to work best for me in those situations.

The 606 was good for digging trenches with my crappy clutch technique:

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post
The 606 was good for digging trenches with my crappy clutch technique....

Good to know, thanks.....I'm pretty sure my clutch technique falls just shy of "crappy"
Old 04-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7164 View Post
Do you have any knowledge of the N El Paso Gas Line Road that runs from Lake Pleasant north to Black Canyon City ish?
I do. What do you want to know? I just led a bunch of guys from Maine a couple of weeks ago on a circle route starting in BCC down the power lines road N of I-17 to Table Mesa, then down the gas line road to hook around the bottom end of Lake Pleasant. We then took Cow Creek to Crown King, up the back way and up over the top to come back to BCC the easy way down the front, Maggie Mine road.
The gas line road is a fun, medium speed (most of it) straight section with some fun jumps every so often. Watch out though 'cause you'll be hauling along and pop over the top of a hill to find the downhill other side nothing but big 'ol rocks. Makes things a bit excitin'. Let me know if you need more info.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
I do. What do you want to know? ..... .

DurtKlod, I was hoping you would chime in

I've been trying to find out more info on this route and the only thing ive been able to drag up on it were about two or three posts (this may be due to inferior search skills though) from a few years ago. one was yours where you "took the two fiddy out" and it had a photo and another where someone else described it a bit and said it was "B" level rider stuff. What would you classify the pipeline road as? And would you say it is nOOb friendly? It's a bit unfair of me to ask you to recommend something having never ridden with me, sorry.

I'm too new to dirt biking to have any idea what the difference between A,B,C type terain is, but I used to take my quad up the backside (hard way) to Crown King so i know what that type of terain looks like. What would you classify the hard way up to crown king as?

Thanks again to everyone for the ADVise! Does anyone by chance know if I can swap out the tires / wheels that I asked about earlier? Or a good place I can look up the answer?
Old 04-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What would you classify the pipeline road as? And would you say it is nOOb friendly? It's a bit unfair of me to ask you to recommend something having never ridden with me, sorry.

I'm too new to dirt biking to have any idea what the difference between A,B,C type terain is, but I used to take my quad up the backside (hard way) to Crown King so i know what that type of terain looks like. What would you classify the hard way up to crown king as?

Thanks again to everyone for the ADVise! Does anyone by chance know if I can swap out the tires / wheels that I asked about earlier? Or a good place I can look up the answer?
I've never been a big believer in the ABC system as it can vary so greatly depending on each individual rider. With that said, I would say the pipeline road contains a variety of classifications. It's got parts that you could ride on a Goldwing and then there are other parts that are steep and rocky. From a NOOB point of view, it gets harder the closer you get to Table Mesa with the last section a really steep downhill. If you've ridden a quad up the backside of Crown King, your not as much of a NOOB as you think.
If you plan on taking the WR, you shouldn't have any problems. Just, take it easy over the tops of the hills as a lot of them have surprises on the other side.
Once you reach Table Mesa, it is possible to go all the way to BCC via dirt. There is at least 3 different ways that I know of. Try and stay underneath either set of power lines for the two easier routes.
I would classify the back way up to Crown King as... mostly easily doable on a KLR with a few kinda hard rocky stretches thrown in for good measure!
Crown King ...B.
Gas Line road ...B.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Here is a video I found on YouTube (not mine) showing quite a bit of the gas line road. It was taken about 3 years ago and the road is quite a bit more eroded now than it shows in the video. The riders are going from south to north. The first 3 minutes are pretty easy stuff. At 4:22 is the steep hill and I'm not sure where they went after 5:15. It looks like more pipeline road but I've never been on that part.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mglkCVgDRU&NR=1
Old 04-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
.... From a NOOB point of view, it gets harder the closer you get to Table Mesa with the last section a really steep downhill. If you've ridden a quad up the backside of Crown King, your not as much of a NOOB as you think.....
I may try this tomorrow in reverse starting at Table Mesa Rd on my way back from Prescott. My skid plate hasnt arrived yet so the bike is exposed on the underside, is there anything on the rough parts that would make me wish i hadn't? I assume its pretty easy to find it on the west side of the 17 at the Table Mesa exit, or do I need to search for it?

I guess I'm a bit of a nOOb with benefits. In addition to the quads, I've also done some fairly difficult mountain biking for the last few years so I get, to some extent, the principles of standing, weight shift, downhill braking etc etc. I'm not sure it makes me less of a nOOb but it probably helps accelerate my learning curve.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,875
Quote:

I know I need to set up and adjust my sag and I know the mechanics of how it gets adjusted,

Also, if anyone reading this knows the WR250R well enough to tell me where I should set my fork and shock adjustments to start with I'm

!
That's a nice bike 4 all terrains try this vid I hope it help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUpt7w1fVDc
Ur tires (death wings), I am sorry to say they're only good to burn them on the street during riots ...Try Maxxis desert IT rear, and Pirelli XCMH front. You'll like this combo.
Quote:
I'm 220'ish fully geared up, the bike has a Devol 1" lowering link (came on the bike from the guy I bought it
I suggest u go back to stock links to avoid bottoming unless you try first by adjusting the sag and go from there. I'll let u know when an easy ride come up. I am going tomorrow to explore some route around Dugas rd to Camp Verde in preparation for the Grand Canyon Rd (2 days ride ~368 mi off-rd with all the abuse that u & ur bike can handle)...I would have ask u to join me but I am exploring and taking notes so I don't want to tie u to my schedule.