Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
cucubaa OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Atacama to Uyuni next week? tips?

Hi,

I'm riding from San Pedro de Atacama to Uyuni late next week. Anybody doing the same trip about the same time? Would also appreciate any recent information about the roads, etc.

cheers,

tani
cucubaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,671
Are you taking the lagunas route or going through Ollague??

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
mrtuc
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I have recently made Antofagasta, Iquique, Oruro (north of Uyuni), Potosi.
Which road are you going to make?
mrtuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
cucubaa OP
n00b

I'm planning to take the lagunas route. That is not a must though.

tani
Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucubaa View Post
I'm planning to take the lagunas route. That is not a must though.

tani
The lagunas is a must, trust me on this.

I took some photos of the InfoTur map that has the jeep trails and villages marked with "amenities" that will come in handy if you want them.

map 1 - south

map 2 - Salar

map 3 - all

here's a taste of what you would be missing. Keep in mind I'm heading south here.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust

Misery Goat screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 07:07 PM
Old 04-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,325
+1, seriously epic riding to be had there.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
robram
Trilheiro

Oddometer: 30
Hi,

My son and I was there.

january 2013.

From San Pedro, go to Laguna Colorada, leave fuel and water, the road is in good situation untill there. Have a coletive accommodations and food.

From Laguna Colorado to Uyuni, the road is not very good, have a lot sand and rocks. This is worst track. After LAguna Hedionda (have a hotel there) turn right to Uyuni, passing by Alota (have accommodations) and San Cristobal (have fuel), near Alota the road is good like a pavement road.

Use Garmin GPS with Mapear version 10.2.

Nights is very, very cold.

You will pay 150 bolivianos to enter in the Eduardo Avaroa Reserve.

I wrote a story about my adventure, but portuguese.

http://www.bmw650gs.net/viewtopic.ph...tart=40#p60138

We came from Uyuni to San PEdro
robram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
snatchy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Hi Cucubaa

I am in Santiago and plan to be having a look at Southern Bolivia in 3 weeks or so. If you have any info on those tracks by then i would appreciate if you could post it up here.

Thanks Misery Goat for those shots of the map. Was the InfoTur map widely available in Sth Bolivia? I have some GPS tracks of up there but the maps help.

Does anyone have Garmnin files they would share of the tracks - particularly the bit from near the San Pedro de Atacama border .... that supposedly goes back to Tupiza through Quetena, Uturuncu, San Vicente and Villazon. If it is easy and obvious, then great. If not it would be great to have a track. I have Viajeros for Garmin which show a lot of tracks in this general region, and i have read that it can be a maze of tracks.

I am keen to do the Lagunas circuit (not going to or from Chile) with someone else if anyone is planning to be there during May. DR650 and offroad rider. PM me for my riding CV . I think it would be smarter to ride with someone else in this area if possible.
Apologies for the semi Hijack, but i was going to start a thread on this very soon.
snatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
robram
Trilheiro

My son (19 year old, first motorcycle adventure, honda 300cc)

I

River in the desert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNmVhNeTrWs

road
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LX11q2EiF8

https://picasaweb.google.com/1176782...IDesertoEPasos

robram screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 07:22 PM
Old 04-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
cucubaa OP
n00b

Thanks for the maps Misery Goat. robram thanks for the information. I hear its going to be extremely cold during the nights. Have to gear up before going. Do you think that GPS is a must? @ moment I知 not having one. I agree with you snatchy about going with someone, but it seems that I知 going there alone. Looks amazing from the videos&pics you posted.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #11
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

If you're accustomed to traveling without a gps I don't think you need one to ride the lagunas routes. The main jeep routes are pretty well marked for the most part. Not having a gps may limit your exploring off the main routes but you could still do it if you're a decent navigator. Hell I had a gps and I still got lost a lot.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Old 04-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
robram
Trilheiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucubaa View Post
Thanks for the maps Misery Goat. robram thanks for the information. I hear its going to be extremely cold during the nights. Have to gear up before going. Do you think that GPS is a must? @ moment I知 not having one. I agree with you snatchy about going with someone, but it seems that I知 going there alone. Looks amazing from the videos&pics you posted.
Cucubaa,

To me, yes the GPS is a must. Sometimes you will be alone or follow car that go to another place.

Be in desert after 6 pm isnエt a good idea, because the temperature go down until -15 Celsius.

Sorry my tips, but Iエm worry about your health.

Good luck, e go there, you'll love the place.

Robram
Old 04-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

There are two main westerly jeep routes that run north and intersect with the main road that runs b/w Uyuni and Ollague, these roads are pretty well marked and I don't think you "need" a gps to ride them and the jeep tours run these roads. You can buy supplies (gas/food) from the jeep operators, in my experience they usually have extra and are willing to sell some. I look at the jeep routes as the arteries of life, I figure no matter what happens if I can get back to the main jeep route I can stay alive. I (and others here) rode the lagunas alone, it can be done with some preparation. There are a number of places on the main jeep routes that have at least some structures where you can throw down a sleeping bag and get protection from the elements.

I camped one night and spent a night at Laguna Colorado when I was heading south, the jeep tours use this place for their tours. The tours bring in all their own food and supplies though so you're kind of on your own there. I just showed up and the young couple running the place fed me and let me stay there. They didn't want to take my money but I insisted. This was in 2011 so not sure if they are still there.

Laguna Colorado

I had a private room too!

It's basic amenities here, they have electricity during the day so it was nice to recharge batteries, etc.

There are a number of places that have structures where you can get out of the elements, Laguna Honda and Villa Mar are a couple more. Ollague is out of the way if you're heading to Uyuni but I'm friends with some of the border agents there and they have accommodations if you get in a situation where you need it. I can put you in touch with them if you want.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust

Misery Goat screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 09:49 AM
Old 04-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
Honduras
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Made that trip the other way around a few weeks ago and for me it was hard, challenging, intimidating, but on the end all worth it and was probably the best memorable part of the whole trip, Fell once or twice making 3 miles an hour and one day made only 50 miles in 8 hours.

Did I mention the scenery?

Don't worry of having enough gas, any jeep will sell you for less as the official gringo price, if I remember it good 6 Bolivianos for a liter, local price was 3.71 and gringo was nine something

remember to get the motorcycle papers at 5033 meters in the middle of nowhere 80 km from the Chilean border post!

read about it in my blog http://utilamoto.blogspot.com/search/label/Bolivia
Honduras C.A.
http://utilamoto.blogspot.com/
Honduras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
cucubaa OP
n00b

Thanks for all the information! I値l be heading there this Sunday. Good to know there is some places to hide from the elements, get gas and even electricity. I知 going to go customs(-22.440907,-67.805901), laguna Colorado (might stay the night already there) and then Villa Mar, Villa Alota, San Christobal and then plan is to head to Uyuni. This route seems simple enough. Just hoping that -15 is not too much for the DR. Thanks Misery Goat but Ollague is a bit far from my path. Will post here about the condition of the tracks or any other info I think is necessary to people heading there after me.