ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Here is a route that I did this past weekend. Was a 2-day trip but might give you some ideas for day rides in the Marin and/or Napa areas... tons of options!!
oh awesome! Taking one all the way up the coast has been a dream come true for me! how was it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorat View Post
go north.
highway 1 from muir beach to tomales is great.
go over coleman valley rd...don't forget your kidney belt.
follow 128 from the corners to ft brag.
hwy 36 is great red bluff to the coast.
mountian view rd from 128 to point arena.
skaggs springs--but stay close to the speed limit as yer chp love this road.
pope valley over 175 then back to middletown.

there are so many enjoyable roads here.

have fun!

awesome!! So who's down for a ride now?!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
haggeo
Studly Adventurer
 
haggeo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: oakland, ca
Oddometer: 872
coast ridge road off of hwy 1 south of big sur is where i'm going in a few weeks. google it for a bunch of ride reports.
__________________
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir? John Maynard Keynes



Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith



The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

haggeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
Tyler
Miss Demeanor
 
Tyler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
oh awesome! Taking one all the way up the coast has been a dream come true for me! how was it?!
Cold, windy, and totally awesome!! Ride report/pics here.
__________________
Spend time with those who make you better. -Unknown author

Dangerous Curves
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #19
bauerboy
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: NoCal
Oddometer: 33
Most of my riding is finding the roads that go somewhere other than work with some light forest type dirt roads mixed in. Have ridden/raced offroad and mx so now I like easier off road on the GSA. There is so much of Ca that I haven't seen even though I have lived here all of my life.

Last summer rode the GSA to the continental divide in CO and up into WY. Take care and see ya out there somewhere in nowhere.
bauerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #20
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,117
thanks for the responses guys!! now i definitely have more options!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #21
AngryScot
.
 
AngryScot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: ☼ Ca ☼
Oddometer: 18,315
Took a wee spin on the roads I suggested to break in my new rotors. Thought I would inspire you to ride this area with a few pictures
Up kings mountain road off woodside road (84), over and down on tunitas creek. Left on highway 1 to stage road followed into pescadero, pescadero road up to alpine then back onto 84, then skyline to old la honda and back home. Good couple of hours and the conditions are perfect, roads are clean with the recent wind and rain they are all washed and ready to go
Tunitas creek road.

This one is secret but the scenery is what you will have on most of the roads around here
__________________
⊕R1200GS⊕ For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
⊕Zuma 125⊕For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
Save $5 on Smugmug "so9RUAXlMm0bE"
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #22
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
Took a wee spin on the roads I suggested to break in my new rotors. Thought I would inspire you to ride this area with a few pictures
Up kings mountain road off woodside road (84), over and down on tunitas creek. Left on highway 1 to stage road followed into pescadero, pescadero road up to alpine then back onto 84, then skyline to old la honda and back home. Good couple of hours and the conditions are perfect, roads are clean with the recent wind and rain they are all washed and ready to go
Tunitas creek road.

This one is secret but the scenery is what you will have on most of the roads around here



Looks like a blast! Can't wait to get the new bike to enjoy the windies!!

Secrets aren't mean to be kept here!! I wanna know some dirt roads! Promise i won't tell!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #23
AngryScot
.
 
AngryScot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: ☼ Ca ☼
Oddometer: 18,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post


Looks like a blast! Can't wait to get the new bike to enjoy the windies!!

Secrets aren't mean to be kept here!! I wanna know some dirt roads! Promise i won't tell!
That one would come with a trespassing ticket
years back they would open gazo creek up to the fire look out, each time I go out it is never open, I think they have some housing up there now and locals hold the keys

I ain't much of a dirt guy so I don't have much info on those. potholed and goat trail types I am your man though
__________________
⊕R1200GS⊕ For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
⊕Zuma 125⊕For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
Save $5 on Smugmug "so9RUAXlMm0bE"
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #24
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
That one would come with a trespassing ticket
years back they would open gazo creek up to the fire look out, each time I go out it is never open, I think they have some housing up there now and locals hold the keys

I ain't much of a dirt guy so I don't have much info on those. potholed and goat trail types I am your man though

ahah gotcha! I have been on some of those too! off calaveras there are a couple private dirt roads. But hey, it's not illegal till you get caught!! I'm not big on dirt but i do enjoy some fireroads. I have only been on a few but thought it was a blast! Hence why I am dropping the cruiser to get a Tiger!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #25
Mudcat
Unregistered
 
Mudcat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
I wanna know some dirt roads! Promise i won't tell!
Are you ready for dirt roads and rough, narrow, twisty, paved roads?

There are not many dirt roads in the South Bay area but there are a few. A lot of narrow, twisty, paved roads though, I find them fun. And often you need to go on roads like this to get to dirt.

I can’t seem to post a picture here anymore.

If you use a GPS I can give you some addresses to route too.
__________________
I've got to be cool
Relax
Take a long long ride on my motor bike
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 06:37 PM
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #26
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Are you ready for dirt roads and rough, narrow, twisty, paved roads?

There are not many dirt roads in the South Bay area but there are a few. A lot of narrow, twisty, paved roads though, I find them fun. And often you need to go on roads like this to get to dirt.

I can’t seem to post a picture here anymore.

If you use a GPS I can give you some addresses to route too.

I enjoy both dirt and small windy paved roads! I do have a gps!
Anyone been to the tahoe roads?
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #27
Mudcat
Unregistered
 
Mudcat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Anyone been to the tahoe roads?
Yeah, but in many ways the riding is better here. More dirt up in the Sierra’s though.

I'll PM you some addresses
__________________
I've got to be cool
Relax
Take a long long ride on my motor bike
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #28
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Yeah, but in many ways the riding is better here.

Oh really? How come? roads are smoother or what? I've always wanted to ride to tahoe for camping trip! not too fun on a cruiser though since i love leaning in. Hopefully will do it this summer!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #29
Mudcat
Unregistered
 
Mudcat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Oh really? How come? roads are smoother or what?
It’s a very popular tourist area, with a lot of enforcement. There are not a lot of fun roads to ride unless you like main arteries.

I like back roads and going to Tahoe takes me a day. And I am ready to leave as soon as I get there. It’s a fun enough ride but a lot of work too.

Have you looked at a map of the areas you want to ride? My Zumo has improved the quality of my rides but it doesn’t replace a good paper map. The Zumo makes routing easer.

We have world class riding here in the Bay Area. Everyone should be so lucky but they are not.

Anyway, if you want Tracks for the Tahoe area you likely be able to find them in the GPS forum here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

I am not a fan of dedicated routes and rarely save them
__________________
I've got to be cool
Relax
Take a long long ride on my motor bike
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #30
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
It’s a very popular tourist area, with a lot of enforcement. There are not a lot of fun roads to ride unless you like main arteries.

I like back roads and going to Tahoe takes me a day. And I am ready to leave as soon as I get there. It’s a fun enough ride but a lot of work too.

Have you looked at a map of the areas you want to ride? My Zumo has improved the quality of my rides but it doesn’t replace a good paper map. The Zumo makes routing easer.

We have world class riding here in the Bay Area. Everyone should be so lucky but they are not.

Anyway, if you want Tracks for the Tahoe area you likely be able to find them in the GPS forum here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

I am not a fan of dedicated routes and rarely save them

yeah i definitely know what you mean. The summer can be hectic there because of all the stupid newbs come out in the summer I usually try to go up at the end of May or beginning June, before all the kids are let out of school for the summer. But I don't know, it's just always been a dream of mine to ride n camp up there!

I'm not fond of redoing the same routes either. Only time i do, is to plan it out. I have Nuvi but have a hard time routing maps... is the Zumo better for that kind of stuff?? Thanks for the forum though!

Ever thought of leading some rides through this area?? I have led a couple and it was awesome!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014