ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #751
Racer111v
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Racer111v's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Hudson, NH
Oddometer: 421
It was better than I thought it would be, but I would not have any interest seeing it live. It worked pretty well for TV. With all the tracks available in this country, this track just isn't necessary. I would rather see them run the Daytona supercross track any day..................
__________________
2004 KTM 950 ADV ...............................1979 Suzuki RM400 VMX Race bike
2006 DR-Z400E plated........................... 2001 Ducati ST2 944
2001 YZ250N 2T soon to be plated.......... 1986 Yamaha FJ1200
Racer111v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #752
ADK
_____
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Oddometer: 8,094
I bet ET and RV loved the track.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #753
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer
 
pbarmy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Great Black Swamp
Oddometer: 1,818
No more Steel City for that!Not a tree in sight.
__________________
"Nostalgia ain't what it once was"
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #754
Racer111v
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Racer111v's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Hudson, NH
Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarmy View Post
No more Steel City for that!Not a tree in sight.
I agree.. Not a bad seat in the house. I only got there once, and it was 100*. That is a great example of what MX is.
__________________
2004 KTM 950 ADV ...............................1979 Suzuki RM400 VMX Race bike
2006 DR-Z400E plated........................... 2001 Ducati ST2 944
2001 YZ250N 2T soon to be plated.......... 1986 Yamaha FJ1200
Racer111v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #755
davethegoat
bahhh....bah...
 
davethegoat's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Walking my dogs
Oddometer: 209
Congrats to the series champs, Tomac and Villapoto
__________________
God is awesome
davethegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #756
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer
 
IgoFar's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: chesapeake,va.
Oddometer: 612
I watched the first motos, and the track looked better on tv than I thought it would, actually, it looked pretty good. But to me, the thing that really stuck out was, there were no spectators along the edges of the track. They were all way off in distant grand stands. To me , part of what makes motocross great is being able to stand along the fences and being right on top of the action were the riders can actually see and hear you cheering them on.

Me, I'm hopelessly old school, but I was open minded going into this round. But after watching the first motos, I have to say that I was not swayed in favor of this new track. I just don't see were it has a place on the national circuit. It just isn't compatable with what I think is the spirit of motocross, and to me, that is racing over natural terrain. There are too many real motocross tracks around the country that would love to have a date on the schedule, to have to put this collection of dirt piles together and calling it a motocross track. It would be much more at home on the SX circuit.
IgoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #757
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer
 
IgoFar's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: chesapeake,va.
Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
I bet not one of the pros liked it.

Well,maybe Weston Piek.
Weston Piek. Someone needs to step up and give this guy a shot. He's pretty impressive.
IgoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #758
withiam
Philogynist
 
withiam's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Fanger Lakes, NY
Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgoFar View Post
Weston Piek. Someone needs to step up and give this guy a shot. He's pretty impressive.
Peick is the man! Looking forward to next week to see if he still has the mojo.
withiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #759
mknight
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mknight's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Harrisville, Utah
Oddometer: 345
I was there all day....from the first practice to the end of the the last moto. I have no idea what it looked like on TV, but I'll be honest, it was pretty darn cool.

Yes, like with all things, there could be some improvements, but in person, this thing was absolutely NO supercross track like so many people were saying before seeing it. It was big, long, and a suprising amount of elevation changes (relatively speaking) for what I was originally thinking. They hauled in a ridiculous amount of dirt and had some big "dragon's backs", off-cambers, huge step-ups, etc.

As for the spectating, I'm still covered in dirt. TV cameras probably didn't show it, but there were plenty of spots where you could get very close to the action if you wanted. Yes, I admit....not as close as you can at other outdoor national tracks and that is kind of a shame. Because it was built on the infield of the car racing track, there were a lot of barriers. But, in fairness, you could get close to the action if you moved around.....but still not as much as I would have liked. They needed some tunnels or something to get spectators on the interior of the track in some places.

As for the dirt......all of the dirt in that valley (which is actually about 30 miles west of Salt Lake City) is what I like to call moon dirt. It's horrible and poofy. But.....they used that for the foundation of the track and then they brought in loads and loads of mulchy stuff for the top, and then they had hydro-seeded all the sides of the jumps. Honestly, it was waaaay better than I thought. When I saw videos of the track from a few months ago, I thought this thing was going to be a horrible dusty mess.

It could have been better. They needed more water trucks. But the thing that probably didn't come across in TV is that there were large thunderstorms all around the entire valley and at the times the wind was really blowing so it was drying it out horribly.....and the areas outside of the track that were that "moon dirt" I was referring to, were kicking up lots of dust.

It wasn't perfect, but it was tons of fun, and definitely better than what I had seen and read about before I got there. I'll have to watch the TV Broadcast to see it from an "outsiders" perspective, but for someone who was there in person, it was a great event and I was pleasantly surprised at the track.

Congrats to Villo and Tomac on the wins. They were on another level today (although the best racing by far was in the 250 class....especially between Baggett and Roczen).

Here are a few photos I took today:











__________________
Thanks to all who helped support Josh in his effort to represent Team USA in Italy at the ISDE in 2013 and Germany in 2012.

mknight screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 09:47 PM
mknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #760
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer
 
Shawnee Bill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight View Post
I was there all day....from the first practice to the end of the the last moto. I have no idea what it looked like on TV, but I'll be honest, it was pretty darn cool.

Yes, like with all things, there could be some improvements, but in person, this thing was absolutely NO supercross track like so many people were saying before seeing it. It was big, long, and a suprising amount of elevation changes (relatively speaking) for what I was originally thinking. They hauled in a ridiculous amount of dirt and had some big "dragon's backs", off-cambers, huge step-ups, etc.

As for the spectating, I'm still covered in dirt. TV cameras probably didn't show it, but there were plenty of spots where you could get very close to the action if you wanted. Yes, I admit....not as close as you can at other outdoor national tracks and that is kind of a shame. Because it was built on the infield of the car racing track, there were a lot of barriers. But, in fairness, you could get close to the action if you moved around.....but still not as much as I would have liked. They needed some tunnels or something to get spectators on the interior of the track in some places.

As for the dirt......all of the dirt in that valley (which is actually about 30 miles west of Salt Lake City) is what I like to call moon dirt. It's horrible and poofy. But.....they used that for the foundation of the track and then they brought in loads and loads of mulchy stuff for the top, and then they had hydro-seeded all the sides of the jumps. Honestly, it was waaaay better than I thought. When I saw videos of the track from a few months ago, I thought this thing was going to be a horrible dusty mess.

It could have been better. They needed more water trucks. But the thing that probably didn't come across in TV is that there were large thunderstorms all around the entire valley and at the times the wind was really blowing so it was drying it out horribly.....and the areas outside of the track that were that "moon dirt" I was referring to, were kicking up lots of dust.

It wasn't perfect, but it was tons of fun, and definitely better than what I had seen and read about before I got there. I'll have to watch the TV Broadcast to see it from an "outsiders" perspective, but for someone who was there in person, it was a great event and I was pleasantly surprised at the track.

Congrats to Villo and Tomac on the wins. They were on another level today (although the best racing by far was in the 250 class....especially between Baggett and Roczen).
Sounds good. Actually the more I watched on TV the more I was thinking it was like you describe rather than my first impressions. I really would like it to be a good track, I love riding to Utah and it sounds like it may be worth it, especially if they make good use of the time they have to make some improvements in the spectating area for next year.

Were they allowing camping at the track? Or would it be a decent place to camp? Looked like it was open desert.

.
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #761
mknight
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mknight's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Harrisville, Utah
Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
Were they allowing camping at the track? Or would it be a decent place to camp? Looked like it was open desert.

.
There is camping allowed at the track, but it was pretty spendy. If you look at the Miller Motosports Park website they have information on RV parking. I don't think they changed anything for this race.

What a lot of people don't know, is that right next to the Miller Motorsports Park is another facility known as the Deseret Peak Complex. It is a County owned facility, and there is a MX track there as well. This weekend there was a race being hosted at that facility as part of the Rocky Mountain MX Series which is the biggest local MX series in Utah. It was within walking distance (albeit...a good jaunt) from the National track and there were as many or more RV's and rigs at the track, as there were at the National.

It was done intentionally, so people could come and race the local series, then walk over and watch the National. They also split their race weekend to Friday/Sunday so Saturday was open for everyone to go the National....and they had an Amateur open practice at the National track. The camping would have been a lot cheaper at the local race, and then walk to the National track.
__________________
Thanks to all who helped support Josh in his effort to represent Team USA in Italy at the ISDE in 2013 and Germany in 2012.
mknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:31 AM   #762
withiam
Philogynist
 
withiam's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Fanger Lakes, NY
Oddometer: 248
Let's be candid...........

I'm going to say Miller put as much as they could into a new, unproven track so fans in the region might be able to experience a national event. Not all venues are the same but going to a national is fun. It is a carnival atmosphere with more to take in other than a race.

The reviews of the track from the racers were mixed with some hating to some thinking it was just okay. Osborne embraces a facility such as Miller with hard pits and a nice facility. Nicolletti hates the place. RV and ET were able to take a lemon and make lemonade. Even Mookie made the best of it.

Didn't see Peick complaining. For the underdogs he was the star of the show.
I would rather have been at that race instead of being home watching it on the DVR. Tony Alessi would agree.
withiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:47 AM   #763
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider
 
andy29847's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: South Carolina
Oddometer: 2,090
Takedown

Enough about the track. How about this takedown?

Code:
__________________
Andy Simons
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #764
nachtflug OP
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by withiam View Post
I'm going to say Miller put as much as they could into a new, unproven track so fans in the region might be able to experience a national event. Not all venues are the same but going to a national is fun. It is a carnival atmosphere with more to take in other than a race.

The reviews of the track from the racers were mixed with some hating to some thinking it was just okay. Osborne embraces a facility such as Miller with hard pits and a nice facility. Nicolletti hates the place. RV and ET were able to take a lemon and make lemonade. Even Mookie made the best of it.

Didn't see Peick complaining. For the underdogs he was the star of the show.
I would rather have been at that race instead of being home watching it on the DVR. Tony Alessi would agree.
the clips I saw of NBC highlights didn't look all that bad. I'm not in favor of a man made track but I am in favor of a facility with amenities. Can't imagine how they can draw in a place as in the middle of nowhere as Utah. They ought to put a fence around that state and keep all those wierdo's confined and not allow normal people in. what a strange bunch of people and vibe if I never got back to Utah it will be too soon.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #765
nachtflug OP
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,529
and it does seem somewhat ironic that for a state that boasts as much outdoor variety in terrain and natural wonder that they have to build a track.

I wonder if they post attendance figures anywhere?
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014