keep the one you got! 1 4.35%
Other--Pick a bike. 8 34.78%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
ADVNubie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Eh? HELP!! me pick a new bike.

Sooo I need a change.. I've had my current bike for 3 years now and it's time for a change.

I'm looking for something more sporty, faster, (though I don't want to be folded into a pretzel) and more versatile.

Side note I'm 6'1'' and about 186 33in inseam.

What I had.
Well I've been riding off and on since I was 15, Started out on a XR250.
Joined the service and picked up a bike again at around 28..
That bike was a 2000 triumph tiger liked the bike but was moving (PCS) and sold it.
I did liked the bike but it didn't really stir me (if that makes sense)

Next I bought a 2008 yamaha RS Warrior 1700.
It too is a nice bike, plenty of power, though not really comfortable,
Also I'm not sure the Cruiser aspect appeals to me.
I like the power but I'm not sure I like the cruiserness-it doesn't feel very precise. I realize that a 615lbs cruiser is not going to feel precise but I think I'd like to try something else.

Side note I'm 6'1'' and about 186 so I don't want something where I'm

So far the contenders are.
VFR800 probably the newest VFR I can get my hands on.. Unless I can find a red white and blue 07.

Triumph Sprint- Sporty but with long legs. great triple engine! though the latest ones have that weird tail.

Both of these 1st ones would be great medium to long rangers I think!

Speed/street triple-- Always wanted one of these but for some reason end up not buying one. can't decide on the speed vs. the street either.

The triple has just got a mean look feel etc. also probably the nearest to a sport bike I could get and be able to ride more then 15 minutes without cramping on. I know they are less distance oriented but damn are they just sexy to look at!

FZ1--looks like it'd be a good compromise between sport bike and comfort-though I've only sat on one a couple times never ridden.

New TIGER 800? I must admit I am intrigued by the new tiger especially after the ICON video!

other... insert bike here.

Help me out fellow inmates?

ADVNubie screwed with this post 09-11-2013 at 05:25 PM Reason: baah can't add tiger to the list!!
ADVNubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
udoggie
Top Dog

Oddometer: 51
I really like my sport touring bike, a Kawasaki Concours C14 (2012)

UD
udoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,425
Everyone should own a Speed Triple at least once! They are a laugh inside the helmet kind of bike! I've had mine 12 years, and it's a blast every time out!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
A Ninja 1000 sounds pretty good. It's like a FZ1, but better in most every way. Used ones are VERY reasonable, you can get factory luggage or ABS if you want.

What about the new Yamaha FZ-09 triple? Thats what I would get.
Bama67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Tigris_GER
Adventure-Finder

Oddometer: 42
BMW F 800 series - my favorite the F800GS. I stopped solo Biking but if ever I will start again, this will be my bike.

http://www.bmw-motorrad-bilder.de/al...gs_2008_11.jpg

Kind regards from Kabul

Four wheels move the body
and three wheels move the soul
Tigris_GER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Everyone should own a Speed Triple at least once! They are a laugh inside the helmet kind of bike! I've had mine 12 years, and it's a blast every time out!
I got my first Speedy 3 last year.....that bike is SUCH a blast.....

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,617
"I'm looking for something more sporty, faster, (though I don't want to be folded into a pretzel) and more versatile"

That is somewhat of a contradiction. A cruiser will always be more versatile than a sport type bike, they have room to carry a passenger and lots of stuff. The Warrior is not the best example of a cruiser, the standard Roadstar, or Roadstar Silverado would be a lot better both comfortwise and functionwise.

But the most important part of what you said, to me anyway, is "though I don't want to be folded into a pretzel" It is not just supersport bikes that do that. The VFR (any VFR) has a very painful riding position if you intend to ride more than a few miles. A new CB1100 might work, though a bit expensive. Or a late model Suzuki Bandit 1200. You can raise the bars a bit on those. Not familiar with the Triumphs, only one I've sat on was the Bonneville, and it felt ok, but it is not fast.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:37 AM   #8
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
"I'm looking for something more sporty, faster, (though I don't want to be folded into a pretzel) and more versatile"

That is somewhat of a contradiction.

But the most important part of what you said, to me anyway, is "though I don't want to be folded into a pretzel"
It is not just supersport bikes that do that. The VFR (any VFR) has a very painful riding position if you intend to ride more than a few miles.
Maybe that's something the OP can decide for himself by sitting on a few bikes.

Many people consider the VFR the epitome of a comfortable sporttouring bike.
I've had two different generations of VFR, both travel very well and don't approach 'pretzel-dom' at all, though the VFR 1200 ergos are a touch on the sporty side.
Again, a judgement call and not something you can cover with another lame generalization as you typically do.

But to the OP: Go to a Kawasaki dealer and have a seat on a Ninja 1000.
Not the ZX-10R, the Ninja 1000... IMO the Ninja name is a bit misleading here, as it's a sporttouring bike in every sense of the word.

The bars are several inches above the top clamp, the riding position is VERY comfortable - and the bike is sporty as hell, and has range with it's 5 gallon tank.
Very light and nimble, with an adjustable windscreen and comfortable ergonomics.

If you prefer hard bags to the minimal setup I like, Kawasaki offers color-matched bags (by Givi) for this bike, and SW Motech has a system with mounts and softbags too.

Very comfortable bar position

in sport mode for riding solo

on the road
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #9
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
That is somewhat of a contradiction. A cruiser will always be more versatile than a sport type bike, they have room to carry a passenger and lots of stuff.

My 919 would disagree with your statement.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:42 AM   #10
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Maybe that's something the OP can decide for himself by sitting on a few bikes.

Many people consider the VFR the epitome of a comfortable sporttouring bike.
I've had two different generations of VFR, both travel very well and don't approach 'pretzel-dom' at all, though the VFR 1200 ergos are a touch on the sporty side.
Again, a judgement call and not something you can cover with another lame generalization as you typically do.

But to the OP: Go to a Kawasaki dealer and have a seat on a Ninja 1000.
Not the ZX-10R, the Ninja 1000... IMO the Ninja name is a bit misleading here, as it's a sporttouring bike in every sense of the word.

The bars are several inches above the top clamp, the riding position is VERY comfortable - and the bike is sporty as hell, and has range with it's 5 gallon tank.
Very light and nimble, with an adjustable windscreen and comfortable ergonomics.

If you prefer hard bags to the minimal setup I like, Kawasaki offers color-matched bags (by Givi) for this bike, and SW Motech has a system with mounts and softbags too.

FWIW: I sad on one at bike week this year, definitely tops on the list of bikes to get if I had to replace mine. the color matched bags are sexy, the riding position is comfortable, and the drive train is phenomenal. My only grievance was the shape of the seat, but that is easily fixed.

The FJR 1300 is also another good bike to consider if you want more touring and less sport.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #11
slower_than_you
Slacker

Oddometer: 32
Since your kind of in naked bike mode - have you looked at an Aprilia Tuono ? There is an add in the bike section , a fellow immate is selling his , and cheap too -
They are super fun bikes , I miss the crap out of mine. In one week I did a trackday and then some touring and Blue Ridge Parkway duty.Its a hard bike to fault and they are a riot to ride. :
slower_than_you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:02 AM   #12
johnwoodsrides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
The Trophy ST you mention is a great bike. A riding buddy had one for a couple years before he went to a BMW. I had a BMW K1200S at the time, and he could almost, kinda, well, no, he couldn't keep up with the "S", but it was a great bike in the corners. Love the single side swing arm and triple under tail exhaust. The sound of the Triumph Triple is great. We did multi day trips and he never complained about comfort, though he is probably 5' 10" and 170lbs.

As others have suggested, go sit on a bunch of bikes and see what excites you.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:10 AM   #13
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by slower_than_you View Post
have you looked at an Aprilia Tuono ?
an excellent suggestion.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:21 AM   #14
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,966
Tall riders who like sporty bikes

I'm 6' 11" (300 lbs) and have a thing for sporty bikes.

You want something which gets you going? Here's my current ride:

KTM 950 SMR (2007). Lots of room, and a hell of a hoot!

If you want similar with some more touring ability, there's the SMT:

If you want to go full-on retard mode, there's always a Superduke:

Any one of these will fit you, easily!

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
There are some very different bikes on your list...

First, decide if u want to tour, how long is your average ride? That will help u decide on how much weather protection u need, and will help you narrow down the bikes.

Personally, I like the ninja 1000, speed 3 and bandit 1250. If u dont need weather protection the z1000 is also a great fun bike with decent ergos for your size.

If I had to pick just 1 it would be the ninja 1k because of the fairing and touring capability.
MariusD is online now   Reply With Quote