Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #181
gto3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Well , at least today the conversation has been more stimulating than how to destroy the handling of a sportbike.
no doubt
Old 04-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #182
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Sigh, one last attempt. There is never a reason to hit max speed in any gear, or run the revs up on a K1600. Why? because it has so much torque throughout the rev range good thrust is but a twist away. You don't need to buy a K1600, there are lots of street bikes with great power delivery.
A liter bike is pretty gutless under about 7k rpms, then takes off like a missile. Thus, to get good thrust you need to get the rpms up into it's powerband. By this time you are speeding, unless you are in 1st gear. This combined with the monkey fucking a football ergos is why they make stupid street bikes.
This last paragraph tells me you've never ridden one.

A ZX-10 has 60ft lbs of torque at 3500 rpm. You are full of shit. That's more torque than your Duc 944 makes at 7000 rpm.

Edit. Unbelieveable. You're spouting all this bullshit like an authority on the subject and you've never ridden one. Repeating shit that someone told you, a liter bike has no low end (?), fuckin' incredible. Have you ridden a K1600? You know all about those , too.

corndog67 screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 06:49 PM
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #183
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Sigh, one last attempt. There is never a reason to hit max speed in any gear, or run the revs up on a K1600. Why? because it has so much torque throughout the rev range good thrust is but a twist away. You don't need to buy a K1600, there are lots of street bikes with great power delivery.
A liter bike is pretty gutless under about 7k rpms, then takes off like a missile. Thus, to get good thrust you need to get the rpms up into it's powerband. By this time you are speeding, unless you are in 1st gear. This combined with the monkey fucking a football ergos is why they make stupid street bikes.
You're a little late for the old woman gathering.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #184
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 738
C'mon girls, let's get out of here. These guys are way too internet-fast for us.

*hairflip*
Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #185
corndog67
Banned

Hare lip?
Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #186
BobbyLee666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
Why the heck not!?!

I haven't had a litre bike for about 10 years. The last one I had was a 929rr, and I miss the excitement!!

I have since gone through many different machines, looking for something fun that doesn't kill my back. I've had a number of bikes that just didn't do it for me, currently I have a Ducati ST3, great sport tourer, but I want a lithe weapon again that can put the fear of GAWD in me!

All of the usual suspect in the sport touring world are too big. Yes, I know about the Ninja 1000, I'm not feeling it. I crave a real sport bike, lightness is paramount. I need to figure out a way to convert a Japanese sport bike into a comfortable, fun, solo ST machine.

Here are my parameters:

1) Must be above 900cc
2) Preferably Japanese, I have 2 Ducs now, I'm tired of fixing them...
3) must be be newer that 10 years old.
4) Essentially, I need -FAST- NIMBLE - FUN- DEPENDABLE!!
5) I should probably stay under 8,000$
6) I really do need to sit up pretty straight. ( Neck and back injuries)

My question for you experts are:

1) What bikes are more comfortable than the others from the factory?
2) What bar rise solution can put me at a "mostly" upright riding position?
3) Do you have any specific seating suggestions?

I rarely see anyone turn a sport bike into a machine like I am describing. (possibly for good reason) Please spare me the "you're defeating the purpose" bit. Also, please omit the "just get a VFR!". I have done my research, I know what I want, thanks.

What say you ?!? Can I do this, or am I fooling myself? Am I doomed to an exsistance of bikes that I "kinda" like?

HELP!!
So, did you get the answer you were looking for?
Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #187
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Hare lip?
Thanks, no.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #188
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLee666 View Post
So, did you get the answer you were looking for?
Yep, he is buying a Z1000SX :-D
He should have bought a Tuono V4R, but if he does he will die.....100% guarante
Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #189
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post

In any case my point stands, despite whatever riding ability you think you have, pushing past the limits of a CB1000R/FZ1/Z1000 on the street is stupid.
I'm not any better than an any other rider that has been riding for a long time. I have never had any formal track/performance riding training. Although I can certainly hustle a bike/car around with aplomb, I don't claim to be anywhere near as good as JOEXR. And I agree with Single that pushing past the limits of said bikes is "crazy".

I suppose the reason that I crave a litre bike is because it "feels" better to me than all of the ST machines that I've been trying to make work for me.

Just because I have a 180hp bike doesn't mean that I'm going to exploit its abilities constantly. I'm not a kid anymore, I've been there and done that. I just love the visceral feel of them. And, when you want to pass a line of cars, there's nothing like that explosive power rush that you get from a litre bike. Also, the handling is just plain on a different level. I don't see the harm in ripping around a corner at "crazy" speeds on a backroad when there's nobody around. Taking that corner on a Z1000 and a ZX10R will be vastly different experiences. But, when there's traffic or pedestrians or whatever that may suffer from my fun, I've got the self control to keep it cool. I won't turn into lunatic just because I have 180hp under my right hand.

My DD car is pushing 500hp, and I fucking love it. I don't go tire smoking all over town though just because I have the power to. I have had this same argument about the car with quite a few people I know. "You can't use all that power on the street!" Of course I can't, but when I need to summon it up, there's nothing like that "hand of god" wallop that sinks me into my seat, I LOVE IT! I've had a number of tickets, but I've never wrecked one of my fast cars or bikes. I'm fast but cautious I suppose...

Some people just crave brutally fast machinery and get a ton of pleasure from it. Others say "meh, it's alright but my VFR is just fine", either way is cool like Fonzie.

But it's just wrong to assume that if you have the power you're going to kill yourself or someone with it.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #190
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
Yep, he is buying a Z1000SX :-D
He should have bought a Tuono V4R, but if he does he will die.....100% guarante

This discussion has helped a lot. And yes, I did get my answer. I'm going to buy a litre bike and put a handlebar kit on it. Im sure that my body will suffer and that's fine. I keep going back and forth a bit, but I figure, to hell with it, have some fun while I can and get something more sensible later when I have no option.

Then I'm going to buy a Tuono V4R and not die just to prove this asshole here wrong.

Tom-Nor, why would I die on a powerful bike when you wouldn't?

stripple screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 07:36 PM
stripple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #191
corndog67
Banned

Judoka gets it. (Making an assumption you are a Judoka.). Aikidoka?
Old 04-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #192
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
WOW!!!! This has gone off the deep end!!!
My 2 cents: Liter bikes are the best handling, best stopping, quickest bikes made. That makes them the safest bikes out on the street! I don't understand how anyone can argue that????? I admit to being a crappy rider, proven on the track many times, but i feel safer commuting on a liter bike than anything I've ever ridden. It is the rider that does crazy/stupid stuff, not the bike!!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #193
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

CornDog- Karateka. Wrestled as a younger man. Lots of BJJ and Muay Thai in recent years. I do love Judo though, it's most definately on my list of things that I want to train in, it's just a beautiful art.

OldHippie- I feel the same way, I always feel safer on the more "athletic" machines.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #194
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Whenever I ride a literbike I feel like this:

Totally inadequate.

There's something to be said for less capable bikes, they are enginered for the street to be ridden by ordinary riders. Race replica bikes have supersport racing in their DNA which none of us here can put to use and it makes them less practical pretty much all around. They're fun but I wouldn't want to tour on one that for sure.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #195
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
Whenever I ride a literbike I feel like this:

Totally inadequate.

There's something to be said for less capable bikes, they are enginered for the street to be ridden by ordinary riders. Race replica bikes have supersport racing in their DNA which none of us here can put to use and it makes them less practical pretty much all around. They're fun but I wouldn't want to tour on one that for sure.

Great picture!

Yeah, its old "funnier to ride a slow bike fast" bit sometimes isn't it? I've got a slow bike that I adore (83' CB1000) for certain moods and rides. I want to have a psycho bike for certain moods and rides too.

My guess is that I'll do it and then get over it, sell it and get something that has been reccomended to me 50 times in this thread. But, it'll be an adventure. (see sig)