Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #211
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I'd also like to point out that it's simply not the case that a sport bike with insanely high limits is automatically a safe bike to ride around on the street in every day situations owning to it's high limits. I would even wager that someone who makes such a statement hasn't had much experience on pure sports machines. Many motorcycles designed for the track are only "comfortable" going at a very high rate of speed around corners, and have fueling specifically optimized for high RPM applications. There is nothing safe about a nervous feeling front end with snatchy fueling going around your every day right handed corner at speeds appropriate for public roads..
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #212
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
I'd also like to point out that it's simply not the case that a sport bike with insanely high limits is automatically a safe bike to ride around on the street in every day situations owning to it's high limits. I would even wager that someone who makes such a statement hasn't had much experience on pure sports machines. Many motorcycles designed for the track are only "comfortable" going at a very high rate of speed around corners, and have fueling specifically optimized for high RPM applications. There is nothing safe about a nervous feeling front end with snatchy fueling going around your every day right handed corner at speeds appropriate for public roads..
See, now you are really trying to stir shit it would seem.

What exactly have you ridden that has given you this opinion? I've not been on a SS for a few years, but the ones I've owned/ridden in the past really don't fit the description that you give here...
Old 04-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #213
gto3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
single^^^^
Old 04-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #214
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
See, now you are really trying to stir shit it would seem.

What exactly have you ridden that has given you this opinion? I've not been on a SS for a few years, but the ones I've owned/ridden in the past really don't fit the description that you give here...
Machines set up for track duty are usually the worst offenders. A Ducati 1098S or Aprilia RSV4 also have their suspensions very much set up for high speed track duty. Point being that a suspension designed to go very fast around corners is not necessarily automatically safe for the street, which was the implication above.

Why do you assume I'm trying to cause trouble? I'm simply relating my experiences.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #215
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
I havent tried twin RR bikes, but i can speak for the jap inline four. They are smooth and and easy to control the throttle, no twitching at any rpms.

Bikes dont kill, the drivers do.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #216
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
I havent tried twin RR bikes, but i can speak for the jap inline four. They are smooth and and easy to control the throttle, no twitching at any rpms.

Bikes dont kill, the drivers do.
I'm not sure what is going on in this thread but people really seem to have a tendancy to respond to a point that no one made.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #217
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Quote:
I'm not sure what is going on in this thread but people really seem to have a tendancy to respond to a point that no one made.
Snatchy fueling??
Old 04-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #218
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
Snatchy fueling??
Yes, many race bikes have snatchy fueling. If you have never been on a race bike with snatchy fueling at low RPM, I'd say you are showing your inexperience.

Regarding suspension, anyone who has ridden on a bike with race spec Penske components can attest to the fact that those set ups are generally not street friendly. Hell, depending on road conditions, an adventure bike style setup can be much safer and carry higher speeds then a sport bike. Race bikes are designed for a very specific environment, smooth surfaces and predictable traction. The real world isn't like that.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #219
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
I don't think Dingle even has a bike. At least not with gears and more than 1 cylinder [ scooter]. And I think he/she has very little experience or ability so he has to try to belittle everyone he's jealous of. Experience and knowledge with bikes comes from many years of riding many miles. How much would YOU want to be seen on a scooter.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #220
joexr
Banned

Quote:
Yes, many race bikes have snatchy fueling. If you have never been on a race bike with snatchy fueling at low RPM, I'd say you are showing your inexperience.

Regarding suspension, anyone who has ridden on a bike with race spec Penske components can attest to the fact that those set ups are generally not street friendly. Hell, depending on road conditions, an adventure bike style setup can be much safer and carry higher speeds then a sport bike. Race bikes are designed for a very specific environment, smooth surfaces and predictable traction. The real world isn't like that.
Suspension and fueling are both adjustable . You should know that with all your experience.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #221
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

I havent tried them all, but the GSXR1000 K5,CBR1000RR 08 or 09 and ZX10R 2012 wher smooth and civilized on low-mid rpm.
First time i tried the Gixxer i was a litel worried to use the first and second gear because of all the talk about the power it held, i was stunned on how easy and civilized it was.
Same thing with the Busa and the ZX14. Super smooth injection and throttle feel.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #222
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Suspension and fueling are both adjustable . You should know that with all your experience.
What point are you responding to exactly? You seem to be violently agreeing with me that a bike set up for high limits at the track is not necessarily safer for street riding. Cheers
Old 04-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #223
joexr
Banned

Quote:
What point are you responding to exactly? You seem to be violently agreeing with me that a bike set up for high limits at the track is not necessarily safer for street riding. Cheers
I apologize. I didn't realize you didn't have a grasp of the English language.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #224
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I apologize. I didn't realize you didn't have a grasp of the English language.
Indeed. If that's your conclusion after my contributions to this thread I'm at a loss for words. Cheers.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #225
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponies ate my Bagel View Post
A modern Liter bike isn't anything at all like an older one. Even a 2003 pales in comparison to one from 2010, there have really been some major advancements in power and delivery the past few years.
Pales in comparison? I have to disagree with you. I have owned an 2002, 2003, and presently a 2005 GSXR1000. The 2002 was a beast and would wheelie on the slightest provocation, as would the 2003. Neither bike was suitable for anyone with only a few years experience. The 2005 is a different creature. It of course wheelies, but you have to work at it. It is a far more "tamed" machine, and even a rider with a few years experience could dawdle around on it.

My understanding, and personal experience, is that modern liter sport bikes are very sophisticated, and the rawness of bikes of old has basically disappeared. I've read more than one test on a liter race bike, where the journalist has stated how surprised he was that the bikes were so non temperamental in that they had linear acceleration curves, and idled smoothly like street bikes.

Modern sport bikes are so easy to ride, that they make average riders appear better than they are. Very few of the modern sport biker generation would be very good on a sport bike of 20 odd years ago with their flexi handling and so so brakes. They have all pretty much become Honda bland!
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote