ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #226
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ECN-ROL's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Fz1 isn't in the same league as a CBR, GSXR, R1, or ZX10.

Cracks me up when someone, usually someone that has never owned one, says they're ludicrous when talking about the power of a SuperSport 1000. "And a 600 is too fast, too, you'll never use all the power!". Well, you might not, but I will. I've got several wide open roads around here, completely deserted, and when I had open class bikes, I'd use them all the time. Don't buy one of those, "I" don't like them. Fuckin pussies.

Get the ZX, or GSXR, or CBR, or R1, they're all the same, just a little different flavor, pick yours. There's a ton of different handlebar bends. Those bikes are fairly cheap now and getting cheaper. 120 mph wheelies, here you come
Fuck, I might have to do this myself.
I'm on my third GSXR1000, and they are "ludicrous" for today's roads. So you have several wide open roads? You know as well as I do that once you have accelerated a few times up to 150 mph what's the point, the bike does it easily. Sure it's nice to have the power, but if you tell me you use the power all the time, then your sir are full of .... hot air. You might open it up every so often, but that's it!
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #227
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ECN-ROL's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto3 View Post
and here it is,because it's a sportbike that person must be using it idiotically,they must be using that bike to ride the freeway at insane speeds????,
You guys are right about motorcycles being able to break the speed limit,but I've never riden with anybody on any kind of bike v strom,gs whatever that doesn't break the speed limit ,infact I know a lot of people who have switched to sport tourers just to remain more incognito from the law and in a lot of cases their riding style is more wild than the guys on sport bikes ! lol
Have to agree with some of your points. I sold a 2003 GSXR1000 and bought an SV1000 because I wanted to slow down. Unfortunately I found that I enjoyed the V twin power and was running it harder than the gixxer. So I went back to a GSXR1000. They are "ludicrous" for the road, but still a lot of fun, just not very practical.

I have reconsidered "ludicrous." If you live in an area with plenty of twisties, or go on bike trips, they are great. If you basically live in an area where the roads are straight and you cannot use their handling, and don't use them for trips, they are "ludicrous."

ECN-ROL screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 05:29 PM
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #228
corndog67
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
Yes, many race bikes have snatchy fueling. If you have never been on a race bike with snatchy fueling at low RPM, I'd say you are showing your inexperience.

Regarding suspension, anyone who has ridden on a bike with race spec Penske components can attest to the fact that those set ups are generally not street friendly. Hell, depending on road conditions, an adventure bike style setup can be much safer and carry higher speeds then a sport bike. Race bikes are designed for a very specific environment, smooth surfaces and predictable traction. The real world isn't like that.
You just gave yourself up. The fastest, most competitive race or track bikes out there, have the smoothest, most consistent fueling. Makes them easier to ride at the limit. Any snatchy fueling can generally be tuned out with a PC or remap, depending on the bike.

Your comment about suspension? Well, up to a point. On bumpy tracks, and there are a few, softer is what works. Perfectly smooth tracks are few and far between. Your comment that race bike suspension is too stiff for the street is not 100% correct. Every track is different.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #229
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Colorado_Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Failville, CO
Oddometer: 1,121
Things started to get out of control when the '04 ZX10 came out. The '05 GSXR1000 was another landmark of performance and now the 1000RR BMW is simply insane, so much so they game the Japanese agreement to limit to 186mph the finger and it does well over 190.

The Panigale was going to be up there too but they lied about the HP and it's kind of a dog compared to the 1000RR Just kidding
Colorado_Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #230
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Colorado_Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Failville, CO
Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
You just gave yourself up. The fastest, most competitive race or track bikes out there, have the smoothest, most consistent fueling. Makes them easier to ride at the limit. Any snatchy fueling can generally be tuned out with a PC or remap, depending on the bike.

Your comment about suspension? Well, up to a point. On bumpy tracks, and there are a few, softer is what works. Perfectly smooth tracks are few and far between. Your comment that race bike suspension is too stiff for the street is not 100% correct. Every track is different.

HA! +1 Corndog. Penske's should be mandatory on certain bikes. My FJR is one of them.
Colorado_Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #231
corndog67
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
HA! +1 Corndog. Penske's should be mandatory on certain bikes. My FJR is one of them.
Or Ohlins. That's my preference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCIqyQyVyYM

Check this out. Unlike some others on here, I'm not completely full of shit. I ended up parting out this bike 2 years ago. 2002, Yoshimura engined GSXR 1000 Superbike. 1000cc, class size resticted. Real close to 14:1 compression. Yosh Type R cams. Falicon crank. Stock size titanium valves. A former, competitive Superbike. Undercut trans. Ohlins kitted Showas. Ohlins rear. Cast iron Galfer Superbike brakes. Fastest fucking thing I've ever ridden. When it came past 6000 rpm in any gear, 3rd, 4th, 5th, it was fucking unbelievable. But down low, tractable, strong, very smooth throttle response. Yoshimura ECU, and some race Power Commander. Marchesini forged Magnesium wheels.

185hp at the wheel. 370 lbs. It was built in 2002 and was never registered for the street. I've got the frame still if anyone needs it, $1400 will work, it's never been crashed on, and it is now titled.

No, I never raced it. I rode it a few times, but it wasn't street legal. I let my wife ride it around the neighborhood, it was so easy to manage, as long as you didn't pull the trigger. I wish I would have taken pictures of that, how many middle aged Dutch women have you ever seen on riding a full fledged Yoshimura engined Superbike?

So no, I'm not talking out my ass about these bikes. I worked for a Superbike tuner, and I've seen plenty of literbikes on the dyno. I've ridden plenty of them. A whole lot of uninformed people commenting on them.

corndog67 screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 07:56 PM
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #232
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard
 
stripple's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Muskrat Flats
Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECN-ROL View Post
Pales in comparison? I have to disagree with you. I have owned an 2002, 2003, and presently a 2005 GSXR1000. The 2002 was a beast and would wheelie on the slightest provocation, as would the 2003. Neither bike was suitable for anyone with only a few years experience. The 2005 is a different creature. It of course wheelies, but you have to work at it. It is a far more "tamed" machine, and even a rider with a few years experience could dawdle around on it.



My understanding, and personal experience, is that modern liter sport bikes are very sophisticated, and the rawness of bikes of old has basically disappeared. I've read more than one test on a liter race bike, where the journalist has stated how surprised he was that the bikes were so non temperamental in that they had linear acceleration curves, and idled smoothly like street bikes.

Modern sport bikes are so easy to ride, that they make average riders appear better than they are. Very few of the modern sport biker generation would be very good on a sport bike of 20 odd years ago with their flexi handling and so so brakes. They have all pretty much become Honda bland!

Thanks for your input. I was hoping for this kind of input about the feel of the different models and years of SS bikes. I have had at least two bikes at all times during the past several years, but I haven't had a litre bike since 01.

I think that you already answered my first question, but I'll ask anyways ;
Did the 05 feel as fast? Was it less visceral? Less exciting? Sometimes a machine can be super fast but fail to give you the same excitement. Did they engineer the "fun" out of it? (Porsche 996 like)

#2- From what I've read, the 05 and up are ergonomically better set up for comfort. Would you agree? Would the 03 suck for what I'm considering doing?
__________________
“Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?” Hunter S. Thompson
stripple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #233
Ponies ate my Bagel
Bisexual Bandit
 
Ponies ate my Bagel's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Los Osos, CA coast
Oddometer: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECN-ROL View Post
Pales in comparison? I have to disagree with you. I have owned an 2002, 2003, and presently a 2005 GSXR1000. The 2002 was a beast and would wheelie on the slightest provocation, as would the 2003. Neither bike was suitable for anyone with only a few years experience. The 2005 is a different creature. It of course wheelies, but you have to work at it. It is a far more "tamed" machine, and even a rider with a few years experience could dawdle around on it.

My understanding, and personal experience, is that modern liter sport bikes are very sophisticated, and the rawness of bikes of old has basically disappeared. I've read more than one test on a liter race bike, where the journalist has stated how surprised he was that the bikes were so non temperamental in that they had linear acceleration curves, and idled smoothly like street bikes.

Modern sport bikes are so easy to ride, that they make average riders appear better than they are. Very few of the modern sport biker generation would be very good on a sport bike of 20 odd years ago with their flexi handling and so so brakes. They have all pretty much become Honda bland!
My '03 R1 was a beast, but compared to a 2010 R1 I got the chance to ride for about a week it was tame. Don't get me wrong, it had the power to do ungodly things. It was just so much easier to go mindblowingly fast on the 2010. I had to be careful because I would find myself doing 140 mph on street straights. It was just insane, on the '03 it felt fast when I was doing 90-110. On the '10 it was just so composed I'd look down after coming out of a corner and I was doing on average 30-50 mph faster than I was on the '03. It was dangerous for my license, so I ended up not buying it. A buddy has been offering to let me take his S1000RR out for a spin, my wallet is already screaming at the very idea of it.,
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWheel View Post
He's worse than Bronies ate my Bunghole.
DRZ400SM with SM/DS wheelsets Sold
2002 Honda VFR Interceptor Went Kablooey!
Ponies ate my Bagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #234
gto3
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: The skoka
Oddometer: 88
^^^I think what ecn is refering to is the mid range power of the liter bikes in the early to mid 2000's,Generally bikes in that time frame had a little more power down low.The newer liter bikes make more top end power and overall put down more horsepower but sacrifice a little down low,It's changes in cam profiles and all that jazz.The other thing is the japs are using 8 injectors instead of four to smooth out fuel delivery and that helps smooth out throttle response blah,blah,blah....
I'm in the camp of "the newer the better usually" and I'm working on getting my hands on an 08-10 zx10r,the zx6r I just bought isn't really cutting it for me and is already for sale.I don't like the 2011 + 10r and besides the triple clamp I put on the 600 all the other stuff(seat,pegs) will swap right over to the 08-10 model 10r
__________________
Coffee ? Carwash ?

gto3 screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 12:06 AM
gto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #235
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Or Ohlins. That's my preference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCIqyQyVyYM

Check this out. Unlike some others on here, I'm not completely full of shit. I ended up parting out this bike 2 years ago. 2002, Yoshimura engined GSXR 1000 Superbike. 1000cc, class size resticted. Real close to 14:1 compression. Yosh Type R cams. Falicon crank. Stock size titanium valves. A former, competitive Superbike. Undercut trans. Ohlins kitted Showas. Ohlins rear. Cast iron Galfer Superbike brakes. Fastest fucking thing I've ever ridden. When it came past 6000 rpm in any gear, 3rd, 4th, 5th, it was fucking unbelievable. But down low, tractable, strong, very smooth throttle response. Yoshimura ECU, and some race Power Commander. Marchesini forged Magnesium wheels.

185hp at the wheel. 370 lbs. It was built in 2002 and was never registered for the street. I've got the frame still if anyone needs it, $1400 will work, it's never been crashed on, and it is now titled.

No, I never raced it. I rode it a few times, but it wasn't street legal. I let my wife ride it around the neighborhood, it was so easy to manage, as long as you didn't pull the trigger. I wish I would have taken pictures of that, how many middle aged Dutch women have you ever seen on riding a full fledged Yoshimura engined Superbike?

So no, I'm not talking out my ass about these bikes. I worked for a Superbike tuner, and I've seen plenty of literbikes on the dyno. I've ridden plenty of them. A whole lot of uninformed people commenting on them.
Superbike was still 750s in '02.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #236
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dalmatino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Prison Planet Earth
Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Superbike was still 750s in '02.
Technicly yes but that doesnt mean that there wasnt national open 1 liter class and those ware the real beasts. This is when the racing was at its best and winining depended more on the rider than the machine.
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #237
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
Technicly yes but that doesnt mean that there wasnt national open 1 liter class and those ware the real beasts. This is when the racing was at its best and winining depended more on the rider than the machine.
HE said SUPERBIKE. Yoshimura no less.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #238
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dalmatino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Prison Planet Earth
Oddometer: 304
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
Thanks for your input. I was hoping for this kind of input about the feel of the different models and years of SS bikes. I have had at least two bikes at all times during the past several years, but I haven't had a litre bike since 01.

I think that you already answered my first question, but I'll ask anyways ;
Did the 05 feel as fast? Was it less visceral? Less exciting? Sometimes a machine can be super fast but fail to give you the same excitement. Did they engineer the "fun" out of it? (Porsche 996 like)

#2- From what I've read, the 05 and up are ergonomically better set up for comfort. Would you agree? Would the 03 suck for what I'm considering doing?

I can answer that for you. I know ECN-ROL and we have had pretty much the same bikes.
The 05 in my opinion has it all. It was the most comfy sport bike for me (6' 2" 33 inseam), it is stupid fast when tuned properly and the best motor that Suzuki made to date period (mag jurnos still say that all the time)...beautifly smooth and tame with incredible handling especially once the suspension was dialed in and still had the wonderful gixer character. The sound this thing produced with the factory pro velocity stacks and Yosh trioval was the most intoxicating ever. A set of Apex adjustable clip-ons and adjustable rear-sets and I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a trip of any length.
I did not find my 03 as comforetable (long reach & wider) and it always felt like a big liter bike. I had the 03 busa, o3 gixxer 1k and than bought the 05 1k and the other two ware gone. I see it as the 03 being closer to the Busa dna while the 05 was closer to the 750/600. As a mater of fact the 600 feel never went away for me.
The only bad part about the 05 was that I felt like I could do anything with the damn thing which could be dangerous if not kept in check.

05-06 are same bikes and better than the new ones still, accept for 2013 possibly. BMW actually bought 5 05 gsxr 1000 and built the 1000rr around that concept. They puled the Japanese on the Japanese

I'd still have mine if it wasn't stolen from me.

Here's the beast in its element...must get another at some point..


OH yea ECN-ROL, once tuned and geared properly it will easily power wheelie even in 3rd at 200klm if you want to Power wheelies between some turns at the Gap are a blast.

Dalmatino screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 09:57 AM
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #239
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dalmatino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Prison Planet Earth
Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
HE said SUPERBIKE. Yoshimura no less.
I could be wrong but Super bike term is not restricted to 750's and if you go back further the term came from the old 1000cc air cooled era. Think of the old 1000 kawis, suzukis and hondas in late 70's early 80's.
Besides does it really mater for the point he was making???
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #240
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
I could be wrong but Super bike term is not restricted to 750's and if you go back further the term came from the old 1000cc air cooled era. Think of the old 1000 kawis, suzukis and hondas in late 70's early 80's.
Besides does it really mater for the point he was making???
Yes , I'm aware of all that , but in '02 there were no 1000cc SUPERBIKES that were 4 cylinder. Only 1000cc twins.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014