Nope just a regular duffle bag :)
lmyamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #302
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Arguing the low,mid and high range power on 150+ HP bikes that go 100mph in first grear.

They are as fast as you ride them, arguing powerbands at street speeds is ...well, pointless.

Ok. Well, there's a difference. And that difference matters to me.

But thanks.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #303
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
One thing I like about the handlebar kits is that you can change the bars, lower, higher, wider, narrower, more or less sweep back, just all sorts of adjustability is possible. The one thing I really don't like, is having to cut the fairings to make clearance for the bar sweep. I think I'd either opt for some used, scuffed fairing uppers, it would be hard for me to cut some cherry fairings. Not so much some crunchy ones.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #304
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

IMYAMAN- I do like the Z1000. I should probably try to get a ride on one before I decide that I'm not feeling it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Corndog- As I look at the prices and condition of these older SS bikes, especially the 05-06 GSXR1K, it seems like I may very well be ending up with a thrashed one. I just rode my ST3 for a bit today. I don't want to sell it to get something else, it really is a good machine. So that brings my budget down a ways. I'll likely end up with an old warhorse that I don't mind cutting on a bit.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #305
snakecharmr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
What about a ZRX1200R? Insane amount of torque, handling that in most cases is more than what the rider can push it to and it already has the upright seating position and the aftermarket support for touring.. I've got a ZRX1100 and love it.. I can't do a sport bike riding position after compressing three vert a few years back but this is like sitting on a lazy boy but can out corner my buddies on there busas and VFR's and till 200kms I can keep up with the busa no problem (my bike may not be stock.. but the 1200R has some more power stock). Just a thought.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #306
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakecharmr View Post
What about a ZRX1200R? Insane amount of torque, handling that in most cases is more than what the rider can push it to and it already has the upright seating position and the aftermarket support for touring.. I've got a ZRX1100 and love it.. I can't do a sport bike riding position after compressing three vert a few years back but this is like sitting on a lazy boy but can out corner my buddies on there busas and VFR's and till 200kms I can keep up with the busa no problem (my bike may not be stock.. but the 1200R has some more power stock). Just a thought.

Brotha, I LOVE me a ZRX! I really do see myself getting one at some point. This idea of getting a SS bike and turning it into a better distance machine is because I've had many bikes like the ZRX, and I always find myself wanting a lighter, smaller bike that is more focused. I have learned that I just plain can't have one bike, and I like to switch it up as much as I can. I see myself getting a ZRX after I get this SS itch scratched. I think that the used ZRX is about the best value out there currently.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #307
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,318
i didn't feel like reading through all the pages, I too have back problems. lower back, I have a 2001 FZ1, I've done 400 mile days on it with no problem, and even done 350 mile days 2 up.

i say wander around, sit on a lot of bikes, find one that fits, work from there, me personally i will buy another older FZ1 when I replace this one, oh mine has 92,000 miles on it with nothing major ever done to it.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #308
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
Ok. Well, there's a difference. And that difference matters to me.

But thanks.
Ever felt a liter bike pull?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwBA&dur=710

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/Pho...h-trc-dyno.jpg

The difference appears to be the midrange with 90hp being 1500 RPM earlier. I had an 2001 and a 2002 GSXR thous they are great bikes, but you won't notice 6 hp at 7,000 rpm, usually by that point you are trying to keep the front end down or holding the hell on.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #309
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
on the gixxers, probably not. On the R1, they feel like completely different bikes. The crossplane engine has a ton of useable power, IE cruising at 60mph in 6th, roll on the throttle and feel the motor dig itself up like a v-twin as opposed to wheezing.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #310
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Ever felt a liter bike pull?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwBA&dur=710

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/Pho...h-trc-dyno.jpg

The difference appears to be the midrange with 90hp being 1500 RPM earlier. I had an 2001 and a 2002 GSXR thous they are great bikes, but you won't notice 6 hp at 7,000 rpm, usually by that point you are trying to keep the front end down or holding the hell on.
I had a very brief ride on a 02 Gix 1k way back when I owned a 929rr. I could feel a big difference from the bottom and middle of the rev range. I didn't want to get off.

If I have my druthers, I'll go with a bike with a stronger low end punch, just feels better to me. I've had many twins because of that, but I feel like a strong I-4 now and I don't want one that has to be revved high to make me giggle.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #311
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
You just gave yourself up. The fastest, most competitive race or track bikes out there, have the smoothest, most consistent fueling. Makes them easier to ride at the limit. Any snatchy fueling can generally be tuned out with a PC or remap, depending on the bike.

Your comment about suspension? Well, up to a point. On bumpy tracks, and there are a few, softer is what works. Perfectly smooth tracks are few and far between. Your comment that race bike suspension is too stiff for the street is not 100% correct. Every track is different.
I'm not sure why you are trying so hard to play this "gotcha" game with me, I'm not your enemy. At the other end of the screen is another rider just sharing his experiences. We can talk about this like two human beings ya know?

What I meant was a race bike is optimized for the race track, period. That includes gearing, efi programming, ignition timing, etc. It certainly is not optimized for real world 90 degree right turns, where if you are on a race bike doing sane public road speeds, you will have your hands full feathering the clutch and getting the power down smoothly, because that is not the environment it was made for, and there is nothing "safer" about shoe horning a fire breathing track beast into those conditions.

Anyways I hope some of you managed to put the keyboard down for a few and do some riding this weekend. I put a few hundred miles on the old liter bike and had a blast. And for the record, everything I did I could have done with a CB1000R. Cheers
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #312
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

And I'm possibly biased by what I've heard and read...

I have heard before that the R1 and FZ1 lack snap off the bottom compared to the others. If you think otherwise, let me know...
Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #313
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
I'm not sure why you are trying so hard to play this "gotcha" game with me, I'm not your enemy. At the other end of the screen is another rider just sharing his experiences. We can talk about this like two human beings ya know?

What I meant was a race bike is optimized for the race track, period. That includes gearing, efi programming, ignition timing, etc. It certainly is not optimized for real world 90 degree right turns, where if you are on a race bike doing sane public road speeds, you will have your hands full feathering the clutch and getting the power down smoothly, because that is not the environment it was made for, and there is nothing "safer" about shoe horning a fire breathing track beast into those conditions.

Anyways I hope some of you managed to put the keyboard down for a few and do some riding this weekend. I put a few hundred miles on the old liter bike and had a blast. And for the record, everything I did I could have done with a CB1000R. Cheers
O hell, not this shit again!!!!

Your points are appreciated Single. But let me sum it up like this;

My DD car is set up to make big power. It has very stiff suspension to grab the road hard and stick. Because of this, it is not as comfortable or easy or user friendly as it would be in stock form or compared to an Accord or any SUV. But I put up with because IT'S WHAT I PREFER.

I don't want a VFR/Sprint/FJR/ST. I appreciate the merits of those machines, and I'll probably go back to them in the future after I've scratched this itch.

My car isn't dangerous unless I put my foot down, and my SS bike that I set up for travel won't be dangerous either unless I grab a handful.

I see what you're saying, and no disrespect intended, but it doesn't matter. It's about what I want to do. I'm not a kid and I have a lot of experience on two wheels.

This argument could go on forever, so let's put it to bed. It's my bike, my idea. It's very possible that I'll do this and say, "that sucked, Single was right!"

Oh well, I'm sure that I'll have fun in the process. And honestly, I really, really like fun. That's how I roll.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:04 AM   #314
gto3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I'll comment on the 03 z1000 since I rode one last season and just sold it about three weeks ago.
-Very comfortable
-Good torque-flat top end
-Rock solid reliable
-Clunky transmission and a bunch of other things I won't bother mentioning
The 09 zx6r I recently bought(while obviously not near as torquey as the z1000)is just as fast ,lighter and imho more fun to ride.
I love the z1000's and zrx's,infact they are a couple of my favorite model bikes and make very good touring bikes but in terms of outright performance don't even come close to a modern liter bike.The top end on any newer model sportbike is just fuckin retarded,I love them and you should too ,lol , : )

gto3 screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 02:11 AM
gto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #315
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto3 View Post
I'll comment on the 03 z1000 since I rode one last season and just sold it about three weeks ago.
-Very comfortable
-Good torque-flat top end
-Rock solid reliable
-Clunky transmission and a bunch of other things I won't bother mentioning
The 09 zx6r I recently bought(while obviously not near as torquey as the z1000)is just as fast ,lighter and imho more fun to ride.
I love the z1000's and zrx's,infact they are a couple of my favorite model bikes and make very good touring bikes but in terms of outright performance don't even come close to a modern liter bike.The top end on any newer model sportbike is just fuckin retarded,I love them and you should too ,lol , : )

Fuckin retarded? Sounds like just right!!

I've been watching a bunch of videos tonight about various bikes. Ran across a video from Brock's Performance that showed their Z1000/Ninja 1000 project getting right around 150hp at the wheel. Don't rember the torque figures, but they're known for being a strong midrange motor. That's right about where the litre bikes that I'm looking at are running.

My only concern is in the handling department. I've read that they lack a bit. But, there's so many factors that play into the assesment that these scribes give the bikes. One article can say the exact opposite of the other quite often.

I really need to stop reading reviews and get my ass on some seats and test ride some bikes.