Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 01:55 AM   #316
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
I had a very brief ride on a 02 Gix 1k way back when I owned a 929rr. I could feel a big difference from the bottom and middle of the rev range. I didn't want to get off.

If I have my druthers, I'll go with a bike with a stronger low end punch, just feels better to me. I've had many twins because of that, but I feel like a strong I-4 now and I don't want one that has to be revved high to make me giggle.

They all have to be revved, it doesn't get ...erm interesting.....until around 6 grand......either way, you are going to get that big bottom end by virtue of displacement, where that 929 put what like 125-130hp to the ground these things are putting 160 and more by 2005...and they are near 100lbs lighter.

Just seeing what it would do I kept my 2002 1K on in rear wheel from pretty much stop to 136 and the speedo was still jumping 6 at a time in fourth gear.

The only real way to get around it is add sprocket, -1/+2 or some such, they go like 70mph at 3,500 RPM or so in 6th (I'd have to look on gearing commander its been a while) you have a significant amount of room to play there. It just makes the front REALLY light, just +2 on the rear with mine and I could blip up wheelies at 110mph (it had a good deal more than a sprocket).

Of course I'm sort of in the same boat. I have a track bitch and a liter (kinda) bike. I want to grab a 2005ish 955i Daytona and Speed-Tona it. Either that or find a Busa cheap and use that as a longer distance rig.

Tripped1 screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 02:04 AM
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:39 AM   #317
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Arguing the low,mid and high range power on 150+ HP bikes that go 100mph in first grear.

They are as fast as you ride them, arguing powerbands at street speeds is ...well, pointless.

Not. Speed and immediate, useable torque are two very different things. I've gotten rid of a few very fast bikes for the lack of the latter. It's a preference, style thing, I reckon. Nothing wrong w/a little difference of opinion on things.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #318
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
And I'm possibly biased by what I've heard and read...

I have heard before that the R1 and FZ1 lack snap off the bottom compared to the others. If you think otherwise, let me know...

The FZ1 i have is anything but lacking, here's how it feels to me, shift anywhere below 5k and it's mild mannered, great for everyday rideing. bring it down to 35mph in 6th and just give it gas it pulls right back up with no problem, what a little more snap, shift below 8k this keeps you over 5k and you have a nice sporty feel in the power, now want to get white knuckles, take that baby higher, shift above 8k so it stays above 8k and you will float the front end, but mine is a gen 1 with carbs, i cant say how the gen 2s feel.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #319
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Not. Speed and immediate, useable torque are two very different things. I've gotten rid of a few very fast bikes for the lack of the latter. It's a preference, style thing, I reckon. Nothing wrong w/a little difference of opinion on things.
I posted dynos from both bikes, and I would bet money that you would NEED a dyno to tell the difference.

That, and it simply doesn't matter, any deficiency in torque can be fixed with the final drive, these aren't direct drive machines, the torque is multiplied three different times in the drive line.

Tripped1 screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 07:35 AM
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #320
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
Listen there mr sunshine...you're pissin me off just the fact that you're living in my favorite part of FL and I'm not there for the winter last 2 years but sittn here in 3 feet of snow still
I spent a lot of time in Tampa, St Pete, Clearwater area over the years and I happen to know that there is actually some decent twisty roads around there. Last time I was there was winter of 2010 (coldest and worst FL winter ever) and things sure changed a lot since around 05. Got to damn busy. Still i miss it tho. How was the pirate festival this year? love that event.
Hey, that is where I live and yes there are some nice roads, you just have to go and find them. LOL
Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #321
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
We gonna go thru all THIS again?
Didn't notice you were down here in Fl.
Small world.
I'm in the TSB site too.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #322
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Those Apex clip ons are really nice. I'm going to do some research to see what ones are going to work best for me, LSL bar kit, or the Apex clips...

For me, the ability to sit up is pretty important. My neck and back start to scream after a while, as well as my wrists. I've broken the left arm and wrist twice, and the right arm and wrist once.

As far as pegs, I doubt that I'll even need to mess with them. I am unusually flexible and I have short legs, so my knees can be high and bent without problems. It's just the lean forward that kicks my ass...
Check out the Convertibars as well, just in case.

http://www.convertibars.com/
Old 04-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #323
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
One thing I like about the handlebar kits is that you can change the bars, lower, higher, wider, narrower, more or less sweep back, just all sorts of adjustability is possible. The one thing I really don't like, is having to cut the fairings to make clearance for the bar sweep. I think I'd either opt for some used, scuffed fairing uppers, it would be hard for me to cut some cherry fairings. Not so much some crunchy ones.
You can always do this.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #324
duke944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Its still obvious you've never ridden one. And I bet I have more experience, more miles, and have owned more bikes than you. You're talking about something you have no experience with, whatsoever, in other words, talking out your ass. The 2 dyno charts I referenced (from a race shop I worked at) showed right about 60 lb ft at 3000-4000rpm. More than enough to spin the tire or wheelie out of turns, tall gearing or not
I notice you haven't said you've ever ridden or owned one. Once again, an opinion that has no actual experience, other than you don't like something you've never ridden. Tall gearing? First is good from 0-100 mph. Those bikes will idle around at 1100 rpm, docile as a pussycat, until you stretch the throttle cables.

You don't have a clue. I've owned them. I've tracked them. I know how they work. And yes, they will put the front off at 120mph. Just right.
You have a very difficult time following logic don't you? you see someone challenging you, see red and just start typing furiously.
First of all, 0-100mph is tall gearing. Shorter gearing would be hitting redline below that number, taller gearing would be hitting redline above that number. There is no question that the ability to hit 100mph in 1st gear is considered tall for a street bike.
Second, why are you talking about a dyno from a race shop? a STOCK zx10r has about 40 ft lbs at 3500 rpm.
Third, why are you talking about pulling the front at 120mph? what on earth does that have to do with street riding, other than describing what a complete asshat would do with one of these bikes? we already know these bikes are capable of high speed power, you point is mute.
A Bandit 1250, like a K16GT (a bike which YOU brought up) has about twice the torque at 2k rpm than a liter bike has at 3500. This is another great example of an excellent engine for the street.
duke944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #325
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
You have a very difficult time following logic don't you? you see someone challenging you, see red and just start typing furiously.
First of all, 0-100mph is tall gearing. Shorter gearing would be hitting redline below that number, taller gearing would be hitting redline above that number. There is no question that the ability to hit 100mph in 1st gear is considered tall for a street bike.
Second, why are you talking about a dyno from a race shop? a STOCK zx10r has about 40 ft lbs at 3500 rpm.
Third, why are you talking about pulling the front at 120mph? what on earth does that have to do with street riding, other than describing what a complete asshat would do with one of these bikes? we already know these bikes are capable of high speed power, you point is mute.
A Bandit 1250, like a K16GT (a bike which YOU brought up) has about twice the torque at 2k rpm than a liter bike has at 3500. This is another great example of an excellent engine for the street.
The word is moot.

You said no low end. 40 lb ft is decent low end. What happens at 4500 rpm? 60 ft lbs. Still low end. And I stand by my numbers. 0-100 in one gear? Sounds pretty broad powerband to me. Gear it down so it will only do 80 in first? Sound like an easy fix to me. I've had a Bandit 1200. Good, cheap, reliable bike. Never had a 1250. But the issue was, the OP wants a liter bike with high bars. And you still haven't said if you've ever owned one or ridden one. Yet, you are repeating something you read somewhere. I've got the real world experience.

But, You know it all. You win. Have fun.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #326
duke944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I know I won this argument, aside from pointing out my misuse of the word mute your chest-thumping in this thread has offered nothing of value.
duke944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #327
corndog67
Banned

I could, and do, say the same thing about you. You don't know what you are talking about, that much is obvious. Very obvious.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #328
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,676
Those are not hard bags. Those are warp nacelles.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #329
corndog67
Banned

Pardon the question, but do those change the way the bike handles? Do they make it top heavy? Are they affected by wind gusts?
Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #330
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 593
Rico,

That bike is a thing of beauty! I'm assuming that you went with convertibars on your bike? What kind of reach increase do you get all the way up?

I really like that bracket idea also.

Thanks for showing us your machine. That's the kind of machine thatbim dreaming about...