ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #31
BrookTrout
Adventurer
 
BrookTrout's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 64
Here's my big sport bike turned into a tourer. The only mods for touring are:

Zero Gravity Screen ($65)
Heli Bars ($150)
Corbin seat ($100 used)
Homemade rack ($0)
Also... Michelin PR2's if you consider that a touring mod.
Almost forgot, Vista Cruise Throttle Lock ($35)

I toured about 7000 miles on it last year.

EDIT: I should mention some touring factoids... I get 48 mpg on the freeway at 90 mph, into the mid 50's if I'm not on the freeway, range is over 200 miles, plenty of storage for tools, etc. under the hump, I can pass a car in any gear at any speed. The only drawback to having this bike as a tourer is chain maintenance.

Loaded down for 6 days and 2200 miles...

BrookTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #32
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, Ct.
Oddometer: 830
gsx 750.....pegs are adjustable from the factory. Helibars or risers & you're done. Lighter & nimbler than any of the liter bikes.
Jim K. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #33
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard
 
stripple's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Muskrat Flats
Oddometer: 597
Man o man, we got a thread goin now fellas!

Croak- That bike is beautiful! I'm not sure if it would have enough power for me. I really liked my S3, but I wouldn't want anything less than its 1050..

Blue&Yellow- Now thats what I'm talking about! I feel like exactly what you described. I want a small powerful machine with great components, but I don't want to hurt!

Yostwerks- I do love those Falcos. I'm kinda craving a powerful I-4 again, my ST3 is decent but I feel that it lacks the punch I'm looking for. How is the power on the Falco? The ZX-14, I've thought long and hard about it and the Busa, I know that I'd love them, but I'd crave a more nimble machine.

Byron Lewis- The naked kit. Now, that is certainly a contender! Looks great. I'd go with a second gen, how is the low end punch? I've read that some find it poor.

Dexter- I love me an XX. I have had the pleasure of riding one, and it really is a great machine. Once again, too big...

Raunchman- I really loved the SV. But is now in the past. Was a cool bike, just not what I want at this time.

Oldhippie- I have heard many good things about the comfort of the old ZX9R. Did you have a preference between the year bikes that you had? Was one better than the other?

BrookTrout- goddamn that's pretty...... How far up do those Heli's have you sitting?

JimK- I have certainly considered the 750. I really like the pull that a 1k provides. Maybe a stupid question, but how different is the low end pull on the 750? I suppose I'm kinda crazy, because anything less than terrifyingly powerful kinda bores me. I rode a friends new CBR600RR last year and I hated it.


Gentlemen, I appreciate all of the responses! This is a cool discussion, keep it going!
__________________
“Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?” Hunter S. Thompson
stripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #34
DeedsyDragon
Moto Dragon
 
DeedsyDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Oddometer: 101
Multistrada 1100?
__________________
2007 Buell XB12X - 1999 Honda VFR800FI
DeedsyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #35
DavidBanner
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Planet earf.
Oddometer: 1,163
FYI...someone in here said that riding position "changes handling" or whatever....pish-tosh.

handling has to do with the geometry of the bike and the chassis (rake/trail, ground clearance, suspension, wheels/tires, etc.)...not really the riding position.

you'll be plenty fast on a dirtbike-barred gixxer/cbr/R1...and if the pegs aren't lowered too far you can probably get going just as fast as stock clipons. it'll just FEEL different not being in the fetal position.

dirtbike bars on a sportbike is BIG in the stunting scene, so you can go to any shop and get the components easily enough. it sounds like that's what you're after...just make sure they don't bang into the fairing.

there's only 4-6bikes you should really be considering.

gixxer 1000/busa
zx-10/14
R1
CBR1000RR

all that nonsense about aprilias and ducatis is just that...small tankrange, crap reliability, crap parts availability, crap dealer support....just what you want when out sport touring.

of course, there's no right answer for motorcycle questions.

good luck.

guy named "Taki" on here had a streetfightered gixxer 1000 with dirtbike bars, look up his posts.

DavidBanner screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 04:33 PM
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #36
Croak
Studly Adventurer
 
Croak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC/Is-Swieqi, Malta
Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
Man o man, we got a thread goin now fellas!

Croak- That bike is beautiful! I'm not sure if it would have enough power for me. I really liked my S3, but I wouldn't want anything less than its 1050..
Stripple, the last generation 955i puts out 15 more HP than a 2013 1050 S3, and 25 more HP than an '05-'11 S3, with the same amount of torque (and that flat torque curve Triumph triples are famous for).

It just outright shames a 1050 over 7k RPM, revs 1500 RPM higher making power all the way, and matches or beats a 1050 below 7k. One really needs to ride one to appreciate just how much more punch that screaming mill has compared to a 1050.

It's a "worked" motor, expensive internals, with lightweight forged pistons, crank and conrods, fancy liners, unique cams, trick valves and head massaging to support higher revs (and faster revving) and lower losses, and it breathes better than the 1050 as well.

The reason that they didn't make a Daytona 1050 is that stroking the 955 to 1050 and keeping the same high rev limit and HP numbers to be competitive with Japanese I4 motors would result in piston speeds being far too high (remember, the 1050 is really a stroked and stroked again 885) and there isn't enough room between the cylinders to increase bore. The 1050 is a "dead-end" as a superbike mill.

The fact that D955i sales were always pretty flat since all the "cool kids" were playing spec wars with Japanese race replica bikes, or style wars with the Italian twins meant there there wasn't much potential payoff on a clean sheet triple designed for sporting either. The S3, Sprint and Tiger were competitive with the 1050, partly because the mill was cheap to produce and R&D long paid for.

So rather than doubling down on a 3rd gen liter Daytona with an uncertain sales future, back then they decided to spend the R&D and tooling money on the 675 line instead, and that's paid off in spades.

But seriously, see if you can find one to ride.

Also, in addition to a pretty straightforward top yoke swap with an '02-04 Speed Triple, you can get Convertibars for it (giving you 3" or more rise, and full control of angles) and LSL superbike bars are available as well, good for about 3" and giving you a choice of bar styles/widths, pullback, etc. The fairing is forgiving with higher rise bars, as is the tank (that it shared with the 955 S3).

Stock clipons:



LSL riser and bars:
http://www.motoworldonline.com/LSL-S...6_p_2228.html#



Convertibars installed and adjusted to the lowest position (they can come up 4", and rotate up/down and front/back:



What's in the kit, gives you a good idea how much you can play with the setup, and they're easy to adjust on the fly using an allen key:



I think another reason the D955i didn't sell well is that it didn't come with Ricky Ricer Racer graphics, it was a pretty understated bike for that category:

Here's a 2002 BRG "Centenial" special edition (note the decals, headlights, screen/fairing, and mirrors are different for 2002-2004, the wheels are black and the frame is painted silver)



Here's an '05 in Tornado Red:



Same bike in Yellow:



Also came in Caspian Blue and Metallic Silver
__________________
2003 Aprilia Tuono
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2013 Kymco Agility City 200i

Croak screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 06:37 PM
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #37
BryonLewis
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BryonLewis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Sacandaga Lake
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post

(BRYon, happens all the time)Byron Lewis- The naked kit. Now, that is certainly a contender! Looks great. I'd go with a second gen, how is the low end punch? I've read that some find it poor.
Yeah the FZ1 doesnt have the best grunt. Alternative and my biased favorite is the ugly inbred cousin of the busa, stock standard position, naked design but still provides some wind protection due to the shape and a gen2 busa engine with more midrange. Typically used ones with 6 to 8k miles go for around $6.5k Problems would include, no passanger room, not the best range (150) and looks even a mother couldnt love. Also you will get tired of explaining its a B-King, only in USA one year, same engine as busa.

BryonLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #38
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard
 
stripple's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Muskrat Flats
Oddometer: 597
Good stuff, thank you, sirs!

Croak, thank you so very much for the education on the Daytona line! I guess that model sorta slipped through the cracks in my brain. I've always liked them, but never really looked into them much.

After I read your post, I started looking for one for sale. There's not that many around for sale unfortunately. The ones that I saw were late 90's versions. You posted what seemed to be the last gen. Are there any significant differences between the 90's bikes and the later ones that you posted? From what I could tell, these bikes are quite the bargain on the used market.

My S3 was a 2007. It was a pleasure to ride. I did feel like the bike had "funky" handling. It held the line well, but it wasn't all that happy changing directions. I felt like after I sold it, that I probably could've sorted it with proper suspension dialing/upgrades. It sounds like the 955i would be perfect though, as I always felt that the S3 just needed a bit more punch. Funny thing, I always assumed that because 1050 is a bigger number than 955 that it was a weaker motor. I put the ASS in ASSume.

DavidBanner- thank you, I agree!

Zokalr13- Keep us updated on the progress of that machine. But "too crazy fast" what's that?

ByronLewis- the BKing has character for days.roll that baby with pride! I dig em.
__________________
“Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?” Hunter S. Thompson
stripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #39
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
The 90's triumphs were even slower than the later models. Ever seen the Triumph Superbike?

joexr screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 11:36 PM
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #40
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...
 
Blue&Yellow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Sweden
Oddometer: 754
I think this has been mentioned already but I'd happily throw in another vote for the FZ1 as well:



Pretty understated, not that many people know about it, not that many people ride it. Very few realize how good and how effing fast it actually is.

British magazine Bike has a test route that goes around in a big circle and takes a couple of hours or more to complete. They've tried to put in as varying conditions as possible with some motorway, lots of backroads, some really bumpy backroads, twisties and so on. They usually ride each new bike around this set of roads so they can feel how each bike copes with certain challanges compared to others. It's not a race and they don't really do timed laps, they just go around at a brisk pace at which they feel comfortable.

Well - funny thing. When they tested the FZ1 they accidently recorded their fastest time ever and the rider said it didn't even feel like he was trying. So under real world conditions this FZ1 enabled the rider to comfortable ride faster and smoother than all the millions of sports bikes they've tested before, including ducatis and fireblades and what not.

Pretty damn impressive.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #41
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
That's why the Yamaha Superbike is an FZ1. But the FZ8 is nice too.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #42
Croak
Studly Adventurer
 
Croak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC/Is-Swieqi, Malta
Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
Good stuff, thank you, sirs!

Croak, thank you so very much for the education on the Daytona line! I guess that model sorta slipped through the cracks in my brain. I've always liked them, but never really looked into them much.

After I read your post, I started looking for one for sale. There's not that many around for sale unfortunately. The ones that I saw were late 90's versions. You posted what seemed to be the last gen. Are there any significant differences between the 90's bikes and the later ones that you posted? From what I could tell, these bikes are quite the bargain on the used market.

My S3 was a 2007. It was a pleasure to ride. I did feel like the bike had "funky" handling. It held the line well, but it wasn't all that happy changing directions. I felt like after I sold it, that I probably could've sorted it with proper suspension dialing/upgrades. It sounds like the 955i would be perfect though, as I always felt that the S3 just needed a bit more punch. Funny thing, I always assumed that because 1050 is a bigger number than 955 that it was a weaker motor. I put the ASS in ASSume.
The first-gen (T595) made from '97-01 only put out 129 HP at the crank, the gearbox was clunkier, the bike sounded like a tractor at idle thanks to the automotive-style alternator, and that motor had a somewhat high problem rate (sprag clutches being a big issue) and I personally blew chunks of the #3 piston out my tailpipe on one.

The suspension setup wasn't as good either, and the ergos were just downright funky. They can be sorted, but I'd rather start with the 2nd gen 149hp model (2002-2006), it's just a dramatically better platform. I prefer the fairing on the 05+ models, just looks cleaner and works better. When you're looking, keep in mind that in 2002 the bike came with a double-sided swingarm (except for that late-year limited edition green one) for better handling/stiffness and lower weight, but brought back the single-sider in 2003 due to "popular demand".

Another little side note, the revised for 2002 motor was actually redone by Lotus and and shares almost nothing with the 1st-gen. A lot of that Lotus work was carried over into the 1050, but like I mentioned, the 1050 didn't get all the high-spec bits the 955i had, it's just a stroked "base model" 955 from the Speed Triple/Sprint. More trivia, revisions to those motors based on the Lotus work in 2002 gained them 11 hp and 4ft/lbs, but the bump up to 1050 in 2005 only gained 6hp.

The 2nd gen 2002 955i motors are as reliable as the 1050, with the typical issue of consuming a bit of oil between changes. Valves also tend to stay in spec after the break-in period, the Sagem ECU is well sorted (and you can tinker with the maps yourself using free TuneECU software and a cable), and the tranny is good for a millenium-era bike (though not Honda snick-snick smooth). There's also a few horsepower and a flatter torque curve to be had with a performance can and retune, 140 at the wheel isn't unheard of.
__________________
2003 Aprilia Tuono
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2013 Kymco Agility City 200i
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #43
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard
 
stripple's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Muskrat Flats
Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
The 90's triumphs were even slower than the later models. Ever seen the Triumph Superbike?

Joexr- slow are they? Elaborate?

Blue&Yellow- A friends dad has a 2008 FZ1 in a nice dark grey color that he is considering selling. I have certainly considered it. Especially because this guy is as OCD as anyone I've ever sees and he takes absolutely incredible care of his machinery.

I have read many times that they have a problem with low end punch. I have also heard many times that they are properly fast. I suppose that if it lacks it could be fixed with sprocket mods, to a certain degree...

There's no way that I could have one without doing the naked version mod. That front fairing looks like a hot girl wearing a welder's mask to me. It just doesn't fit with the rest of the package...
__________________
“Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?” Hunter S. Thompson
stripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:58 AM   #44
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard
 
stripple's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Muskrat Flats
Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
The first-gen (T595) made from '97-01 only put out 129 HP at the crank, the gearbox was clunkier, the bike sounded like a tractor at idle thanks to the automotive-style alternator, and that motor had a somewhat high problem rate (sprag clutches being a big issue) and I personally blew chunks of the #3 piston out my tailpipe on one.

The suspension setup wasn't as good either, and the ergos were just downright funky. They can be sorted, but I'd rather start with the 2nd gen 149hp model (2002-2006), it's just a dramatically better platform. I prefer the fairing on the 05+ models, just looks cleaner and works better. When you're looking, keep in mind that in 2002 the bike came with a double-sided swingarm (except for that late-year limited edition green one) for better handling/stiffness and lower weight, but brought back the single-sider in 2003 due to "popular demand".

Another little side note, the revised for 2002 motor was actually redone by Lotus and and shares almost nothing with the 1st-gen. A lot of that Lotus work was carried over into the 1050, but like I mentioned, the 1050 didn't get all the high-spec bits the 955i had, it's just a stroked "base model" 955 from the Speed Triple/Sprint. More trivia, revisions to those motors based on the Lotus work in 2002 gained them 11 hp and 4ft/lbs, but the bump up to 1050 in 2005 only gained 6hp.

The 2nd gen 2002 955i motors are as reliable as the 1050, with the typical issue of consuming a bit of oil between changes. Valves also tend to stay in spec after the break-in period, the Sagem ECU is well sorted (and you can tinker with the maps yourself using free TuneECU software and a cable), and the tranny is good for a millenium-era bike (though not Honda snick-snick smooth). There's also a few horsepower and a flatter torque curve to be had with a performance can and retune, 140 at the wheel isn't unheard of.
Croak, you sir, fucking rock.

This is why I love forums, especially this one. I sincerely appreciate you time and knowledge. I make it to B.C. sometimes, perhaps I'll find me a good 955i
(second gen of course) set it up, and ride up to buy you a beer.
__________________
“Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?” Hunter S. Thompson
stripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #45
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer
 
advNZer?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Wellington,New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,702
i havent read the whole thread..one thing sprang to my mind straight away Hayabusa
__________________
aka BMWST?
advNZer? is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014