Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #76
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
I see that many in her must have very weak bodys, yes a RR is not the most comfortable bike, but its not as near usless for touring as some of you think. And putting on peg lowers and bar raisers will not make it wheelie more, thats just stupid.

But if you have back and neck pain that requiers you to have a upright seating position peg lowers and bars raiser whouldent be enough.
Aprilia Tuno V4R ,Z1000SX,FZ1 and bikes like that whould give you the best combination of handling,power and comfort in the liter class.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #77
Colorado_Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
I was going to say FZ1 or Ninja 1K but they do neuter those engines quite a bit and add lots of weight to svae money

Some guys are just more tolerable of uncomfortable riding positions than others. If you really can ride comfortably on a literbike I'll say go for it. Have you ever sat on a GSXR 1K? Nice short reach to the bars and a set of lower pegs away from being pretty do-able. I think that ought to be enough power and handling for you

You could get one of these for 5K and they run forever

Colorado_Rider screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 06:04 PM
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #78
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Just get a C-14......................................
Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #79
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
You may find that an upright riding position is not as comfortable as you think. A slight forward lean takes the pressure off your tailbone. I have pretty long arms & often ride for hours one-handed, sitting almost straight.

The stock bars on the Blackbird were way too low,forward & at totally the wrong angle for extended riding. Replacing them with VFR bars cured that. One of the guys on the Blackbird forum makes peg lowering blocks that took care of that problem. Pretty much made it all day comfortable for me.

Personally, a bike that does exactly what I expect it to do on the back roads or canyons is not boring. One that tries to pitch me off on every corner or run off the road is not my idea of excitement. Especially on a road trip. YMMV

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #80
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by telejojo View Post
Just get a C-14......................................

Lots of us don't wanna ride a 700 lb tank.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #81
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
Lots of us don't wanna ride a 700 lb tank.
Not a tank above 5mph.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #82
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonLewis View Post
Yeah the FZ1 doesnt have the best grunt. Alternative and my biased favorite is the ugly inbred cousin of the busa, stock standard position, naked design but still provides some wind protection due to the shape and a gen2 busa engine with more midrange. Typically used ones with 6 to 8k miles go for around $6.5k Problems would include, no passanger room, not the best range (150) and looks even a mother couldnt love. Also you will get tired of explaining its a B-King, only in USA one year, same engine as busa.

If I could email U my pic I can show U a B King Sport Tourer.
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #83
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
I was going to say FZ1 or Ninja 1K but they do neuter those engines quite a bit and add lots of weight to svae money

Some guys are just more tolerable of uncomfortable riding positions than others. If you really can ride comfortably on a literbike I'll say go for it. Have you ever sat on a GSXR 1K? Nice short reach to the bars and a set of lower pegs away from being pretty do-able. I think that ought to be enough power and handling for you

You could get one of these for 5K and they run forever

PURDY! The bottom one looks like a 04-06 or so. The top one looks newer. Any idea what year the top one is? I think it's time to start reading about the gixxer. It's always been a bike that has missed my radar, I think that's over now.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #84
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
So how is it a 38 year old fitness instructer has a bad back?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #85
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
So how is it a 38 year old fitness instructer has a bad back?
Haha.

Well, I am a fitness instructor, but more specifically a Martial Arts instructor. One that has trained hard for a long time...

I love what I do, and I have trained in a very "spirited" manner at certain times in my life.

I would say that I'm in pretty good shape physically, but the years have taken their toll and there's a hitch in my giddyup these days. There are many specific instances and injuries that I won't bore you with, this line of work isn't known for being easy on the body.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #86
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

These days I think back to when I opened my first school, and I rember my uncles who worked hard physically their whole lives telling me that doing this for a living would bust up my body in the future...

I didn't want to hear a bit of it back then. that was never going to happen to ME!

I love what I do so very much. But I sure can hear their wisdom now...
Old 04-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #87
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Some of you guys aren't listening. He said sport bike.

Fuckin Lou has a ZX-10 with a Scotts Damper and a set of motocross bars on it. If you ask him, its the fastest, most universal, most adaptable and comfortable bike there is. And he lives down a dirt road, and no issues going up or down it. I would agree that its a pretty bitchin' hoon bike.. You can get your FZ1, but this has 50 more HP and weighs 100lbs less. The numbers really look good on this one.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:14 AM   #88
strommer
Ride for balance

Oddometer: 374
Another poster said this and I agree: Get the B-King.

It is not light but is not a barge at all. I read in a German bike mag (did not ride it myself) that it is far far more flickable than one would expect. I think they called it nimble. I think they also said it was a torque monster. Twist throttle in any gear and hold on for dear life.

It is a naked Busa. So I suppose you can call it a sports bike (?). Not a liter bike though. It is not pretty but I belive the Busa is uglier.

The rear of the B-King is a little out of proportion to the rest of the bike but that can be modified a bit with a new exhaust.

And sitting on a B-King, you don't see the rear anyway.

I know all this because I almost got one. I did take a look at one in the shop. Sat on it, it was comfortable.

I ended up with an 09 Speed Triple. Mainly because it is lighter. And sounds better. And looks better.

Good luck with the quest and I hope you enjoy whatever you get.
strommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #89
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
The 919 motor is fine like it is. Although if you want more, bold on the CBR 900 exhaust and get a power commander. Other than that, the 919 motor can't really be modified economically.

(Good suggestion though, I looove my 919)

He never said it was economic
Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #90
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
I turned my hayabusa into a sport-tourer. Upped the bars,givi touring windscreen, heated grips and full hard luggage. All day comfort and ridiculously fun. And if you can handle some arm pump and lactic acid buildup in your legs,flickable enough in the twisties....LOL.....for a chubby chick anyway. Hey, I have left my fair share of road warriors in the dust in the twisties!

Anyway,you can also do a peg swap with buell pegs for more leg room.
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote