Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #46
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Are you her boyfriend or her daddy? Let her get what she wants and only give the advice she asks for. 305 are hard to find so maybe an early 350 will work ok. Sure classic bikes can be a lot of work but if she is into it that better than a modern bike she doesn't like. Heck it's just money. If she wants something cheap for a starter bike she can trash then a cm400 is a good choice but again just let her do the work and show up to help bring it home.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #47
bradluke0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Hi all ! If you really care about her explain to her and then teach her how to ride in the dirt first . I would never let anyone close to me learn to ride in the street first . CRF250L or DR200 both have low seats . DR400 for a female noob ? uhh no JMHO ...brad
bradluke0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #48
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
my wife rides a duc 696

is red, girls like red

she doesn't go on dirt

is light

low

easy power curve

good brakes

I put low seat on it, wider more upright bars

lowered

put heated grips on

lowered the gearing

handles well

she loves it

is easy to ride

cheers

fallingoff screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 05:57 PM Reason: put pic in
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #49
Bobby Ginger OP
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
I believe the Dakar and Sertao are the same height.

If she can flat-foot a Dakar, we can rule out seat height as a concern. I am envious!
Oops! By typing on my phone, she can flat foot a regular one not the Dakar or Sertao
Old 04-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #50
Bobby Ginger OP
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones_708 View Post
Are you her boyfriend or her daddy? Let her get what she wants and only give the advice she asks for. 305 are hard to find so maybe an early 350 will work ok. Sure classic bikes can be a lot of work but if she is into it that better than a modern bike she doesn't like. Heck it's just money. If she wants something cheap for a starter bike she can trash then a cm400 is a good choice but again just let her do the work and show up to help bring it home.
Would you have known anything about bikes your first time without some help? If so you are the smartest person out there and we are not worthy of your presence on ADV. If you read the whole thread, I wrote that I do not care what she gets just trying to help here with some friendly advice.

Bobby Ginger screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 06:28 PM
Bobby Ginger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #51
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmittenhymer View Post
Suzuki GS500. Low seat height, not too much power, comfortable riding position.
It's even a bit sporty.
I'd like to throw another vote to the gs500. A friend of mine bought one last year for her first bike. Although she is short and can't flat foot it she seems to do quite well with it so far. I actually rode it home for her as she had never operated a motorcycle before she bought it. I got a good few hours in on it just due to the distance it was from her house. I thought it was pretty good bike for someone to start out on when I rode it. It can get out of its own way, but the power comes on gently enough that it's not overwhelming. It handles decent and can be found in a variety of looks from naked to fully faired. She also mentioned to me that she was getting great gas mileage from it, around 60 mpg if I remember correctly. Now she is rather tiny think 5'4" about 100 pounds after having 3 kids, so If your girlfriend is tall and atheletic she should do fine with one of these bikes.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #52
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ginger View Post
Would you have known anything about bikes your first time without some help? If so you are the smartest person out there and we are not worthy of your presence on ADV. If you read the whole thread, I wrote that I do not care what she gets just trying to help here with some friendly advice.
I have found that many people respond on threads without having read most or even any of the previous posts. Your request was perfectly reasonable. There has been a lot of conflicting advice given here but it does give her some things to think about and consider.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #53
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
I'd like to throw another vote to the gs500. A friend of mine bought one last year for her first bike. Although she is short and can't flat foot it she seems to do quite well with it so far. I actually rode it home for her as she had never operated a motorcycle before she bought it. I got a good few hours in on it just due to the distance it was from her house. I thought it was pretty good bike for someone to start out on when I rode it. It can get out of its own way, but the power comes on gently enough that it's not overwhelming. It handles decent and can be found in a variety of looks from naked to fully faired. She also mentioned to me that she was getting great gas mileage from it, around 60 mpg if I remember correctly. Now she is rather tiny think 5'4" about 100 pounds after having 3 kids, so If your girlfriend is tall and atheletic she should do fine with one of these bikes.

Beat me to it! You can find a GS500E nekid for around $1000 bucks. Light, easy to work on, and fun to ride, but not enough stomp to get a n00b in too much trouble.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #54
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 639
tu250 if she likes the classic cafe racer look.
rebel 250 if she wants a cruiser.
cbr250 or ninja 250 for a sportbike.

this is the ONLY time i'll sound like a bit of a masculine dick, but BIKES ARE HEAVY. if you're a gal (or dude, honestly) with a low body weight and lower center of gravity, you NEED to get a feel for the general physics of a bike, unless you are prepared to get some good glute work in backlifting your dropped bike every other week. speed, seat height, and the finickyness of a given clutch are, to my mind, complete non-issues; rather, the challenge is getting a bike with a low weight and center of gravity that won't punish you quite as physically for being a n00b.

she should start with something in the 300-400 pound range that she can easily get back up after a drop, and which will feel more under her control as she's starting out. once she builds technique for her mass, she can upgrade -- like the rest of us. :-)

(i don't recommend scooters as starter bikes, as per my own experience, because they teach bad habits.)
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #55
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
I'm with the herd here: 250 Ninja/CBR/TU-250, or an XT-225 if she wants to go the DS route. I admit that I'm biased because I personally like all those bikes.

If she's open to cruisers, your options quickly grow- Honda Rebel, Yamaha V Star, Suzuki S-40/old Savage (my vote for best beginner cruiser), etc.

I'll also be a heretic and suggest looking at scooters. After the MSF my GF wanted a motorcycle really bad as her first bike, but somehow she got to looking at scooters, and voila, she ended up with a 250 Vespa. HUGE smiles on her face, perfect beginner for her. She eventually got to riding bikes, but she never regretted starting off on the scooter.

Good luck, have fun, and don't forget: LISTEN TO HER, and what she wants, don't just listen to us!
My wife wanted to ride, and it was a scooter or nothing. We purchased a Piaggio 250cc scooter. Three months later she was riding a Softail Deluxe Harley-Davidson. Now, she has added a G650GS (lowered) to the stable. She rides everywhere, loves planning little trips, and none of it would have happened without that scooter, which we still have: That little thing is highway-legal and FUN!
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #56
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Cb500

Having just ridden one home in the rain for a friend. (FWIW. I went the long way round ... so a decent distance)

Check out the new CB500F, very nice bike, very easy to handle even for someone vertically challenged.

The only thing against it is the looks, (modern).

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #57
bluegreen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Have any of you guys ever worked on an old Honda? Parts are cheap and readily available.

I converted my old oil filter to a BMW spin on, now that is pricey. My old filters were $5, BMW I think I paid $30 for?!?

If she wants a Dream, she's got great taste. I'd be pissed if my GF tried to steer me in the direction of something I didn't want.

And if you can't figure out how to do the maintenance on a Dream you have no business riding a bike in the first place.
bluegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #58
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 639
yeah, i should amend my remarks and note that i'm positing the worst case scenario here. if she's got talent and confidence, why NOT get a bigger bike. just make sure that her confidence in her talent is valid! ;-)

i've found for myself, at elast, that i assumed i was a lot more, uh, talented than i was. i'm in really good physical shape (a problematic left hand aside), but i ALSO found that when a 550 pound bike wants to party with gravity, it takes some real work to correct for the stupidity/n00bosity that brought me there in the first place. ;-)
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #59
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
I didnt read all the posts, just the OPs question. If she wants cool......take a look at a Bonnie. Low seat height, not real tourquey, predictible handling.

Dont choose a bike for her.....bad idea. Spend a few Satudays going to various shops trying on bikes, ya know like shoe shopping. Let HER choose the bike she wants.

I dont mean to come across as a prick, im really a nice guy i promise....just giving you my $0.02.

Chris
Old 04-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #60
Bobby Ginger OP
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
my wife rides a duc 696

is red, girls like red

she doesn't go on dirt

is light

low

easy power curve

good brakes

I put low seat on it, wider more upright bars

lowered

put heated grips on

lowered the gearing

handles well

she loves it

is easy to ride

cheers

Nice Duc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreen View Post
Have any of you guys ever worked on an old Honda? Parts are cheap and readily available.

I converted my old oil filter to a BMW spin on, now that is pricey. My old filters were $5, BMW I think I paid $30 for?!?

If she wants a Dream, she's got great taste. I'd be pissed if my GF tried to steer me in the direction of something I didn't want.

And if you can't figure out how to do the maintenance on a Dream you have no business riding a bike in the first place.
The maintenace is not what really concerned me, it is the avalibility of parts and prices that could be problematic. The weight and riding postion is idea on the dream. The dream is still in the running but I found a few more concerning issues. The rear brake light only comes off the rear brake pedal and it does not currently have turn signals. These are easy fixes, but would have to be addressed before she can ride it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsgptx View Post
I didnt read all the posts, just the OPs question. If she wants cool......take a look at a Bonnie. Low seat height, not real tourquey, predictible handling.

Dont choose a bike for her.....bad idea. Spend a few Satudays going to various shops trying on bikes, ya know like shoe shopping. Let HER choose the bike she wants.

I dont mean to come across as a prick, im really a nice guy i promise....just giving you my $0.02.

Chris
Yes, I have no intention of picking the bike. We spent this morning doing the dealership rounds again. We started at the BMW place since I needed to pick up my new helmet anyway. There was a rebel there that she said felt too small and a smaller ninja that was not to her liking.

Next up was the Yamaha and Suzuki dealrship. A used boneville caught her eye. The price and the weight of those bikes probably rules it out but I think she is on a path to know what she wants . The Tu250x also felt small for her, so no I am trying to find a smaller CB or kx for her to look at. I think the ergonomics and the looks will apeal but the 305 dream is still on the table. I think there will be a decision in the next few weeks and I will post a pic when the new bike is purchased. Thanks for the help, so many good idea on this thread.